News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Stupido

Happy to see more of that purple/duo tone paint. My critique from yesterday truly aged like milk, huh?

While 'The Broker' seems a little cheesy, it definitely aligns with what Marvel's doing with their Space Side: Benicio del Toro's 'The Collector' and Jeff Goldblum's "The Grandmaster." I wouldn't hate if they gave more backstory to The Broker, or even included the character in the ride. Plus, I'm always up for a Marvel specific shop!

pdude81

Frankly, I haven't seen a real reason for trackless on anywhere where it's been deployed. The only novel place was on MMRR during the "dance" scene. Seems so out-of-place that it was a demo for the technology. Otherwise, a track or wire-guided vehicle would have done the job nicely -- and cheaper and more reliably.
Missed this post last week, but one clear use for this technology is on the Luigi ride in DCA. The cars have different songs and dance sequences out there so you actually have no idea which way things are going. I also think that ROTR benefits from this as any sort of visible track with switching would ruin some of the illusion.

TikibirdLand

Missed this post last week, but one clear use for this technology is on the Luigi ride in DCA. The cars have different songs and dance sequences out there so you actually have no idea which way things are going. I also think that ROTR benefits from this as any sort of visible track with switching would ruin some of the illusion.
Someone earlier mentioned Luigi's. I need to take a close look at that and see -- wasn't on my list 'till recently. I think you might be able to modify a whip style ride to match most of the ride dynamics. But, I could be wrong there. WRT ROTR, The wheel tracks left by trackless vehicles pretty much gives away where you're going. You can also get away with a less shiny floor. But, there's also embedded wire technology that would work effectively too for both formats. They've got to figure out a more reliable method of vehicle propulsion before this becomes a "standard" mode for vehicle movement.

pdude81

Someone earlier mentioned Luigi's. I need to take a close look at that and see -- wasn't on my list 'till recently. I think you might be able to modify a whip style ride to match most of the ride dynamics. But, I could be wrong there. WRT ROTR, The wheel tracks left by trackless vehicles pretty much gives away where you're going. You can also get away with a less shiny floor. But, there's also embedded wire technology that would work effectively too for both formats. They've got to figure out a more reliable method of vehicle propulsion before this becomes a "standard" mode for vehicle movement.
This is true. I hate the rubber marks where the tires wear off. It's not as noticeable as a raised track or a long gash in the floor, but still screws up the experience.

WDWJoeG

And is Luigi a great ride? (I would say no - it was one and done for me)

Is the cost of the technology make it more fun than the tea cups or Maters? It's a technology looking for a reason to exist to me.

TikibirdLand

And is Luigi a great ride? Is the cost of the technology make it more fun than the tea cups or Maters? It's a technology looking for a reason to exist to me.
Dunno. Haven't experienced it. I did see a video a bit ago. It looks interesting -- cute even. Is it more fun than Mater? At least they're trying.

lazyboy97o

The Rollicking Roadsters are not autonomous vehicles. They’re still following a predetermined path. Where the attraction could take advantage of being true trackless is if new dance profiles are introduced.

I can’t think of anything in Rise of the Resistance that couldn’t be accomplished with a wire guided system. The routing for load and unload might be difficult.

pdude81

The Rollicking Roadsters are not autonomous vehicles. They’re still following a predetermined path. Where the attraction could take advantage of being true trackless is if new dance profiles are introduced.

I can’t think of anything in Rise of the Resistance that couldn’t be accomplished with a wire guided system. The routing for load and unload might be difficult.
No, but they change choreography and timing along with different songs, right? That's just impossible without different programming and trackless technology. I truly enjoy the Luigi ride and try to do it multiple times per trip. It is not very popular, so perhaps this is just something my family enjoys more than most.

It's above my pay grade to understand the options for ROTR tracking (and apparently above the pay grade of whoever installed V1 at DL, haha).

lazyboy97o

No, but they change choreography and timing along with different songs, right? That's just impossible without different programming and trackless technology. I truly enjoy the Luigi ride and try to do it multiple times per trip. It is not very popular, so perhaps this is just something my family enjoys more than most.

It's above my pay grade to understand the options for ROTR tracking (and apparently above the pay grade of whoever installed V1 at DL, haha).
Have you experienced or even watched a video of Symbolica at Efteling? That is not a true trackless system.

gorillaball

And is Luigi a great ride? (I would say no - it was one and done for me)

Is the cost of the technology make it more fun than the tea cups or Maters? It's a technology looking for a reason to exist to me.
The question wasn’t if it’s a great ride, it was an example of trackless technology fully being taken advantage of. It’s a good ride (not great) and could not be accomplished without the tech. Large parts of other trackless rides don’t necessarily benefit from being trackless, other than as you say, tech for the sake of tech.

pdude81

Have you experienced or even watched a video of Symbolica at Efteling? That is not a true trackless system.
I've just had a chance to watch a ride video of Symbolica and I'm not sure I understand your point. This seems to me that there are some choices you can make but on the whole we are talking about predetermined paths and outcomes. I'm open to different points of view here, but I'm struggling to understand why you think Luigi is not a trackless system with a predetermined number of end points as opposed to the predetermined number of endpoints that would be had in Symbolica even if you made a choice as to which path to follow.

It seems to me a much better ride than Luigi at a much lower overall cost, but I'm not getting your point.

Not taking any shots at you here, I may just be missing your point. Feel free to enlighten me.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Someone on Twitter said this is a new description... not sure if it is...

An Extraterrestrial Escapade​

Begin your adventure by touring the Galaxarium—a planetarium-like exhibition showcasing the similarities and differences between Xandar and Earth’s galaxies. You’ll even get to discover some of the incredible wonders of Xandar and learn about their technology.​
Just as you are about to reach the culmination of the tour, everything goes sideways, and you are called into action to help the Guardians of the Galaxy. Are you ready to rock out on an awesome quest across the cosmos to save the galaxy? It’s all up to you!​
This family-friendly attraction features the first ever reverse-launch on a Disney coaster and is one of the longest enclosed coasters in the world! A new innovation from Walt Disney Imagineering—this coaster rotates 360 degrees so you can focus on the action!​

No Name

Like the poster above me (well now above Penguin) I’m not taking any shots, just curious. The Rollicking Roadster vehicles frequently cross each other’s paths as well as their own, and I feel like that would be impossible to pull off with a wire guided system or any form of track (and could that possibly be as smooth?). Are you suggesting it could be done?

And on a more general note, why do you dislike the choice to use LPS?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom