News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Can you a cite an example where the building codes weren’t followed and RCID ignored it
Not one…

What would be the problem with modifying said codes in about 2 days? The residents of golden oak and the lake buena vista drive firehouse gonna protest and hold public hearings?

This is a sidebar discussion…but to suggest that reedy creek isn’t a “fully owned subsidiary” of the Walt Disney company is both intellectually and factually inaccurate.

Nowhere is there more private dictation of public policy in the United States than 32820. The mayor of Beijing has more power.

lazyboy97o

Not one…

What would be the problem with modifying said codes in about 2 days? The residents of golden oak and the lake buena vista drive firehouse gonna protest and hold public hearings?

This is a sidebar discussion…but to suggest that reedy creek isn’t a “fully owned subsidiary” of the Walt Disney company is both intellectually and factually inaccurate.

Nowhere is there more private dictation of public policy in the United States than 32820. The mayor of Beijing has more power.
Neither NFPA, ICC, nor the Florida Building Commission are under the auspices of the District. Disney is involved in their update cycle but 3 years for models that becomes 5 years for actual implementation is a wee bit longer than 2 days. Zoning variances are generally a lot easy to come by in most places, but nobody’s interests are served by not having parking.

But yeah, I’m sure Disney exercises a lot of control over Bithlo.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Neither NFPA, ICC nor the Florida Building Commission are under the auspices of the District. Zoning variances are generally a lot easy to come by in most places, but nobody’s interests are served by not having parking.

Florida has a long history of exerting strict regulatory control over their largest sales tax generator..:

They don’t even pick up the phone. It’s like dealing with the NYC DOB

lazyboy97o

Florida has a long history of exerting strict regulatory control over their largest sales tax generator..:

They don’t even pick up the phone. It’s like dealing with the NYC DOB
Why don’t you point us to a problematic amendment to the models? Doesn’t even have to be one done at Disney‘s insistence. Or is this just more bloviating?

pdude81

Neither NFPA, ICC, nor the Florida Building Commission are under the auspices of the District. Disney is involved in their update cycle but 3 years for models that becomes 5 years for actual implementation is a wee bit longer than 2 days. Zoning variances are generally a lot easy to come by in most places, but nobody’s interests are served by not having parking.

Variance would be an easier bypass from zoning board, if they showed that the existing parking was underutilized. However, if specific to "deluxe" hotels I have to think these are much older local ordinances that might be changes if the ratio of cars to guest rooms has substantially changed over time.

lewisc

Yes, the requirement comes from the RCID Land Development Regulations but despite what so many think, the District doesn’t just wave requirements at Disney’s every whim and has a reputation for strict enforcement. Disney knows people are driving.
Not a waiver. Accepting Disney directing POLY guests to a section of MK parking closest to POLY.
Not one…

My memory is the golden oaks development, maybe the entire 4 seasons, was removed from RC prior to construction.

Getting a waiver or other change from RC will take time. Exact time depends on how long it takes to draft a memo

lewisc

Part of POLY Parking and part of MK Parking is directly across 7 seas drive. A walkway with a traffic signal or pedestrian bridge and Disney is good to go. If necessary barricade from rest of MK parking and enter from poly.

lazyboy97o

Variance would be an easier bypass from zoning board, if they showed that the existing parking was underutilized. However, if specific to "deluxe" hotels I have to think these are much older local ordinances that might be changes if the ratio of cars to guest rooms has substantially changed over time.
The regulations are just over 10 years old. There are three categories of hotel in Table 4-40-1 has three categories: Hotels (with monorail), Hotels/Motels (without monorail) and Value Resorts that require 1.3, 1.0 and 0.92 spaces per room, respectively. About 1 space per room is a rather standard requirement. It’s actually more than Orange County requires (1 space per 1.5 rooms)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Part of POLY Parking and part of MK Parking is directly across 7 seas drive. A walkway with a traffic signal or pedestrian bridge and Disney is good to go. If necessary barricade from rest of MK parking and enter from poly.
That wouldnt be any different than the Grand Floridian parking (theres valet in front, but self-park is across the street)

lewisc

Posters think there is a problem with non resort guests taking up spots,sometimes all day.

A few years ago I parked where you inserted a credit card to enter. You inserted the same credit card when you left. You were only charged if you parked more then the free allowance. Its common for restaurants to validate your parking. One place entered my parking receipt into a system to automatically apply the free time. I assume it could be done via the credit card you swiped when you entered the garage.

A system like that would be an easy to enforce a 3 hour parking rule. Charging $50 for excess park will defer guests from using resort parking as an alternative to paying for theme park parking.

Rescue Ranger

It makes me sad that after years missing out for one reason or another, we FINALLY had the Luau reserved for the absolute most perfect Polynesian vacation and the pandemic hit weeks before we were going to be there. Forced to cancel the trip.

Now it will never happen :(

Never hold off on doing something. If you have even the slightest bit of interest. You never know when or if you'll have another chance. Even if you think something will never go away. These days, unfortunately, anything can change or go away without any notice.

TikibirdLand

It makes me sad that after years missing out for one reason or another, we FINALLY had the Luau reserved for the absolute most perfect Polynesian vacation and the pandemic hit weeks before we were going to be there. Forced to cancel the trip.

Now it will never happen :(

Never hold off on doing something. If you have even the slightest bit of interest. You never know when or if you'll have another chance. Even if you think something will never go away. These days, unfortunately, anything can change or go away without any notice.
I know you'll hear comments that it wasn't worth it. But, if you can't travel to Hawaii, it's the next best thing. And, the Poly's atmosphere was great -- even as they slowly ripped at resorts soul (fountain removal, garden "refurb", room "refurb", etc). This is like someone ripping up your vintage map of WDW that your grandparents gave you. Heartbreaking.

BTW, I feel the same way about Hoopty Doo Review. Family always turns me down on seeing the show ("but we could spend that time in the parks; let's see Country Bear Jamboree instead!"). I do hope that show comes back. Sounds like they're planning a bit of "refurb" on it as well. At this point, I'm not sure we'll ever get back to the parks. If we do, HDR is definitely on the list -- assuming it comes back!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I know you'll hear comments that it wasn't worth it. But, if you can't travel to Hawaii, it's the next best thing. And, the Poly's atmosphere was great -- even as they slowly ripped at resorts soul (fountain removal, garden "refurb", room "refurb", etc). This is like someone ripping up your vintage map of WDW that your grandparents gave you. Heartbreaking.

BTW, I feel the same way about Hoopty Doo Review. Family always turns me down on seeing the show ("but we could spend that time in the parks; let's see Country Bear Jamboree instead!"). I do hope that show comes back. Sounds like they're planning a bit of "refurb" on it as well. At this point, I'm not sure we'll ever get back to the parks. If we do, HDR is definitely on the list -- assuming it comes back!
I still find it a bit odd that they dumped the luau and hoop is MIA…

They charge an absolute fortune for it and it was always pretty packed.

It’s just the Bobs doing their thing. Nothing special. The only thing they support is recharging for the same sunk operations cost. Aka after hours and Xmas parties.

It’s really a shame. It’s all homegenized…nothing to provide a spark.

When chapek leaves…and it will be a glorious flameout…there’s gonna he a lot of “picking up the pieces” and soul searching from fans.

“What happened?!?”

…everyone went along with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom