One Little Spark 3: The Spark Squad - Main Competition Thread

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
BBD137BB-AE8A-4D64-8FAA-3474460397BC.jpeg

REVIEWS

And in honor of these projects, I decided to fully embrace the prompt.

408FBB84-ADF0-4837-877A-A91AE9EDF946.jpeg

Cheers.

The Interns

I absolutely love the backstory!!! Pleasure Island has a remarkably detailed backstory by itself, and this idea totally runs with it in a whimsical way!! You also tackled the geography problem that likely lead to Pleasure Island’s eventual downfall less than a decade later. The Rendezvous and Pioneer Peer as a whole honestly feels like a concept that could have single handedly saved the entire attraction! Who knows, Disney could see the success of Pioneer Peer and decided to totally reimagine Pleasure Island with this sort of “PG family friendly” vibe. Having a Zeppelin as an architectural icon is A+ for me!! I really appreciated the use of simple sketches here to help frame the whole experience and give the reader a better visual of what the place is like. And that Pleasure Island map was very nicely recreated!! And the presentation on the menu is just lovely!! You have a drink called Typhoon Lagoon! That’s amazing. And very appropriate. The non-alcoholic cocktails all sound delicious and are adorably named!! I just wish there was some tequila on the menu somewhere, but that won’t count against you! Overall, fantastic job!! Cheers!!

Team B

Overall I think you chose the boldest concept this round. To literally be like “yeah this is the hangout of the Irish mafia” is like 😳😳😳 WHOA!! I mean I love it!! But it’s definitely outlandish. It just makes me think of that scene from season 2 of Daredevil. A barcade is a splendid concept for Pleasure Island! This could also be somewhat of a catalyst for Disney to keep the attraction alive. And when Innoventions at Epcot begins to eliminate some of their elaborate video games, perhaps they could find a second home here at Irishtown! DRINKS!! I’m gonna need a strawberry leprechaun marg RIGHT NOW!! And I definitely need to try any drink with a name like *checks notes* Irish Mythology Gangster Video Game Bodega Drink,..yes, give me that. And it has tequila!!!!
This one was a little light on some of the other details, such as location. And I wanted a little more of a description of the interior, but overall a really fun and imaginative project!
Cheers!!

Warriors

Omg so in the brainstorming you guys had that idea about making your club all about costumes mascots and over time having it accidentally become this Mecca for furry culture and dear goddess I wanted you to lean into that SO. BAD. But what you ended up with was really cool too! I really love the idea of a 1940s themed club. I wanted more description of the actual club; it’s location, interior, etc. especially with the way you went with having numerous adjacent rooms. I really wanted to be able to better visualize how this would all be set up. Incorporating the “package films” was a unique and fun idea. And the name “The Complete Package” is so clunky and strange that I kinda like it. All of the special rooms are really cool on their own. I especially LOVE the Hell Room as a nod to Mr Toad. This would create two cult classic spots on Pleasure Island, with the other obviously being the The Neon Armadillo The Adventurer’s Club. Maybe, just maybe, this could be enough to save the entire attraction. Outside of that, there are so many different rooms, and I think some visitors might be a bit confused by this place if they aren’t familiar with the package films. I would have liked to hear a little more about the main atrium and just kinda how all of these are tied together, outside of being loosely linked references to 1940s cartoons and Mr Toad’s Wild Ride. Dang maybe the whole thing coulda been Mr Toad themed. Regardless, this was a very fun read and I quite enjoyed it!!
Cheers!!

Alright results and refills coming up!!

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
RESULTS

Team B

Bold and fun concept with a ton of potential. I really just needed more from it.

Wario Warriors

Probably would have won if it were a little more tightened up and polished. This is a strong concept, I just needed a little more to help tie it all together.

The Imagination Institute Interns

Your concept was delightful and you took great consideration into how it would fit into the overall story of Pleasure Island. Helpful visuals and a lovely presentation makes this one the winner by a hair!

Fantastic job, Squads!

It has been a joy watching these three teams work together over these five projects. The Interns were the consistent team; often going the safest route, but always putting their best foot forward with presentation. They’re the “classic” Imagineering team. Team B is a creative juggernaut that absolutely killed it in brainstorming, and with a few tweaks or additions here or there could have easily swept all five projects. The Warriors were the team that was constantly trending upward, struggling to find an identity at first, but once they did, fully leaned into the irreverence and silliness, and were just a riot!

All 15 projects submitted in this game so far have been awesome in their own ways, and each round has been super close, often with tiny details being the deciding factor between first and third place.

But we don’t want to reach creative burnout before the end of the game! That’s when you need it the most!

So beginning tomorrow, we will be combining you into two teams!! And you will also receive your next prompt tomorrow!!

In the meantime, pat yourselves on the back, pour a beverage of your choice, and enjoy the rest of your evening!!

Cheers!​

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

As a little tease for the next scene I'll just say this... you might want to pack your swimsuits!

Wario's Warriors

Conceptually I absolutely adore this idea! The highly themed rooms are exactly what I would love from a Disney bar! The WW2/CSO framing device is a genius way to ground it and the selection of shorts/room themes is perfect. My only issue is that it feels a bit scattered visually. A bit more info on the transitions between sections was needed to help it flow together and not feel like just a loosely connection group of mini-bars. I'm gonna emphasize that this is a minor issue in an otherwise incredible project. I just had to point it out because this is such a close round the small issues like transitions and cohesions might make a difference.

Team B

Easily my favorite bar I've ever been to (and I have been to three total so I am clearly an expert) is Player One in Orlando right by the old College Program housing. A video game bar has a ton of potential. And with Disney Quest opening around this time, arcades were something Disney saw a lot of potential in! Also, an Irish Mafia Speakeasy is an incredible concept with so much potential for immersion, storytelling, and just a generally great atmosphere. My second favorite bar I've ever been to (The Edison at Disney Springs) shows how well a Speakeasy would fit into the area and how fun it would be! The Irish twist is a perfect touch to send it over the edge! My only issue is that the Arcade Bar and the Irish Speakeasy concepts seem slightly at odds with each other. Picturing the Irish Mafia of the prohibition era (when speakeasies were a thing) playing Mortal Kombat and Mario 64 just doesn't quite fit. Going all in on one theme or the other would have lead to a much stronger project than combining them. Especially since both the themes have a lot of promise.

Also, my third favorite (out of three) bar that I've been to is Cowboys in Orlando. I'm not into Country music or line dancing but the drinks were cheap.

Interns

Absolutely perfect! Maybe not as outside the box or exciting a theme as Warriors or Team B, but it is executed just splendidly! The Zeppelin show building, the amazing backstory, the expansion to Downtown Disney, the inclusion of John O'Hurley, the fancy menu! All incredibly well done execution on what I feared was just going to turn out to be Adventurer's Club 2.0. My only complaints is really just the presentation. The maps and the menu are incredible and you have great usage of reference photos. But Google Doc with a plain white background has become this team's go to style. And that is not the most exciting to see, Also, the Special Events section feels unfinished. I'm aware of what Holidays are so I don't need them listed lol. I assume there was more planned for this section that got cut due to time and availability of the players which I totally understand and sympathize with. But just cutting the Special Events section would have helped more than leaving it in unfinished.​

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Easily my favorite bar I've ever been to (and I have been to three total so I am clearly an expert) is Player One in Orlando right by the old College Program housing. My second favorite bar I've ever been to (The Edison at Disney Springs)

Also, my third favorite (out of three) bar that I've been to is Cowboys in Orlando. I'm not into Country music or line dancing but the drinks were cheap.​
Jellyrolls! How could I forget Jellyrolls!

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
RESULTS

Team B

Bold and fun concept with a ton of potential. I really just needed more from it.

Wario Warriors

Probably would have won if it were a little more tightened up and polished. This is a strong concept, I just needed a little more to help tie it all together.

The Imagination Institute Interns

Your concept was delightful and you took great consideration into how it would fit into the overall story of Pleasure Island. Helpful visuals and a lovely presentation makes this one the winner by a hair!

Fantastic job, Squads!

It has been a joy watching these three teams work together over these five projects. The Interns were the consistent team; often going the safest route, but always putting their best foot forward with presentation. They’re the “classic” Imagineering team. Team B is a creative juggernaut that absolutely killed it in brainstorming, and with a few tweaks or additions here or there could have easily swept all five projects. The Warriors were the team that was constantly trending upward, struggling to find an identity at first, but once they did, fully leaned into the irreverence and silliness, and were just a riot!

All 15 projects submitted in this game so far have been awesome in their own ways, and each round has been super close, often with tiny details being the deciding factor between first and third place.

But we don’t want to reach creative burnout before the end of the game! That’s when you need it the most!

So beginning tomorrow, we will be combining you into two teams!! And you will also receive your next prompt tomorrow!!

In the meantime, pat yourselves on the back, pour a beverage of your choice, and enjoy the rest of your evening!!

Cheers!​
As I won the game, so I'll choose Disney MGM Studios 1994 Sunset Blvd originally planned like Dick Tracy's Crimestoppers, Hotel Mel and Roger Rabbit's Hollywood so I'll do Roger Rabbit's Hollywood with others please?

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
i0zZRNu.png

--The Set Up--

Disney and Universal have shown that water parks can be SO much more that just slides and pools. They can be just as well themed and immersive as any theme park and the attractions can utilize new technology to push the limits of what water parks can be!
universal-s-volcano-bay.jpg

But still, the types of attractions that fill these water parks are very limited in variety. Mostly all just being variations of slides and pools. Although some have experimented with some showscenes like you would find in dark ride and other storytelling attractions throughout theme parks. The Lazy River at Blizzard Beach has a few showscenes along the shore. Volcano Bay's Lazy River has the cave with the constellations. Miss Adventure Falls, a family raft ride in Typhoon Lagoon, even features and animatronic parrot adding to the story.

AlODHPg.png

Water Parks have dipped their toes into the waters of storytelling in attractions, but now is the time for them to dive on in!

--The Challenge--

Imagineers, your challenge is this:

Design a Dark Ride for either Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach, or Volcano Bay! The definition of what counts as a "dark ride" can be pretty loose here. The main goal is to have a ride at a water park that goes beyond just a slide or a pool and tells a story/immerses guests in a world the way only theme parks do.

This prompt takes place in present day 2022, keep that time period in mind with any technology or IP choices! Technically in the storyline of the game we are still in 1997, but that felt a bit too limiting for this specific project. So, Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey whatever. Now you are working in present day!

chairlift-blizzard-beach.jpeg

--A Note on Judging--

All good dark rides tell a story. Sometimes that story is a simplified version of a movie's plot, sometimes it is an original tale with fully fleshed out original characters, and sometimes the story is super simple because the ride is all about vibes. But ALL good dark rides have a strong atmosphere.

GvGQH6V.gif

Alright, Teams. Have fun! Go Create! Dream Big!

This is due on Saturday, February 26th at 11:59 PM WDW Time

spacemt354

Chili's
john-deer-logo-png.624422

Presents...

ice-age-logo-jpg.623649

Arriving in 2022 to Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Theme Park!
Click the new WDW Resort TV loop below to explore!

Reading Music

Credits
Team Name and Logo - @b-wolf95
Opening Post Art - @D Hulk and @Disney Dad 3000
Backstory - @spacemt354 and @D Hulk
Skyliner Extension Description/Reason for Attraction - @spacemt354
Map and Location at Blizzard Beach - @Disney Dad 3000
Ice Bridge Description - @Solaris Knight
Ice Age Character Art - @Shannoninthemagic
Queue Signage - @Honey Bee (Rebooted)
Queue Descriptions - @spacemt354
Ride Vehicle Descriptions - @D Hulk
Attraction Map and Layout - @NateD1226
Ride-Through Scene Descriptions - @NateD1226
Ride-Through Concept Art - @Disney Dad 3000 @NateD1226 @D Hulk
Gift-Shop Description - @Honey Bee (Rebooted)

Presentation - @Honey Bee (Rebooted)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom