Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

pdude81

Sorry if this has been discussed, but I read conflicting details, of how this Genie works in practice.

If at 7am, I book attraction A for 11:30.
Then the park opens at 9am, I am eligible for a second selection 2 hours after park open.
At 11am I then book attraction B for 12:30pm.
At 11:30, redeem attraction A.
Still holding attraction B for 12:30.

Can I book attraction C after redeeming selection A at 11:30 or do I have to wait until I redeem attraction B?
In this hypothetical you're waiting for 12:30. It's in relation to the last one you booked.

NelsonRD

In this hypothetical you're waiting for 12:30. It's in relation to the last one you booked.
How does that work with the 2 hour rule? using stacking, and not redeeming? I have seen people claim:

At 8am book Attraction A for 5:30pm.
At 11am book Attraction B for 6pm
At 1pm book Attraction C for 7pm.
At 3pm book Attraction D for 8pm.
At 5pm book Attraction E for 9pm.

pdude81

How does that work with the 2 hour rule? using stacking, and not redeeming? I have seen people claim:

That's correct. You could get another one when you use the most recent you booked. If attraction B was for 1:30 then you would get another one at 1pm instead. You can stack as many as you want if you wait the 2 hours after each successive one. In reality it ends up taking a minute or two to find what you want, so they end up slightly longer than 2 hours.

NelsonRD

That's correct. You could get another one when you use the most recent you booked. If attraction B was for 1:30 then you would get another one at 1pm instead. You can stack as many as you want if you wait the 2 hours after each successive one. In reality it ends up taking a minute or two to find what you want, so they end up slightly longer than 2 hours.
Thanks. To clarify, redeeming a selection does not allow for another selection IF you are holding a another reservation?

mikejs78

Premium Member
That is correct. You only get to book another reservation ASAP if you are holding no more LL's (excluding ILL's).

Therefore if you're stacking for the evening/night, just have to remember every 2 hours to book another one.
That's not quite accurate. You can book asap as soon as you use your last booked LL. Let's say at 7 AM you book Slinky for 4 PM. Then at 11 you book ToT for 12. Once you tap into ToT you can book immediately because you used your last booked LL.

However if at 7 AM you book SDD for 11:30, then at 11 you book MFSR for 1:30, you can't get a new LL after tapping into Slinky as that was not your last one booked.

Last edited:

pdude81

Thanks. To clarify, redeeming a selection does not allow for another selection IF you are holding a another reservation?
If you redeem the last one you booked then you may get to book another immediately. The rules change from time to time, so it's hard to verify. So if you booked LL A at 7am for 1:15, then B at 11am for 12:30, you may be able to book C right at 12:30 when you tap in.

gerarar

Premium Member
That's not quite accurate. You can book asap as soon as you use your last booked LL. Let's say at 7 AM you book Slinky for 4 PM. Then at 11 you book ToT for 12. Once you tap into ToT you can book immediately because you used your last booked LL.

However if at 7 AM you book SDD for 11:30, then at 11 you book MFSR for 1:30, you can't get a new LL after tapping into Slinky as that was your last one booked.
Ahhh you're completely right. I never ran through that scenario in my head nor when actually there, thanks.

Deleted my post to not cause confusion.

nickys

Premium Member
Another way to look at it is this, which is possibly something that @mikejs78 wrote and which I found useful.

Every time you book an LL pass, you then earn yourself a credit for another one.

You can only redeem that credit once, either once you actually tap in to the attraction or 2 hrs after you booked it. You don’t get to redeem it at both points.
If you redeem the last one you booked then you may get to book another immediately. The rules change from time to time, so it's hard to verify. So if you booked LL A at 7am for 1:15, then B at 11am for 12:30, you may be able to book C right at 12:30 when you tap in.
So in this case, using what I wrote above:

At 7am you book ride A and earn a credit for ride A. Your return time is 1:15pm.
At 11am you redeem the credit for A by booking ride B - this is the 2 hr rule because your return time hasn’t come round yet. Your return time for ride B is 12:30pm.
At 12:30pm you go to ride B - at this point you can redeem the credit for ride B by booking ride C. Your return time is 1:30pm.

At 1:15pm you go to ride A. But you’ve already redeemed the credit for ride A so you cannot book another one yet.
At 1:30pm you go to ride C and once you tap in you can redeem the credit for ride C, which you do by booking ride D…..

Last edited:

NelsonRD

However if at 7 AM you book SDD for 11:30, then at 11 you book MFSR for 1:30, you can't get a new LL after tapping into Slinky as that was your last one booked.
I am sorry, I am still confused. Did you mean:
you can't get a new LL after tapping into Slinky as that was (not) your last one booked.

The last one book in this scenario is MFSR. So after 1:30 another selection can be made?

Edit: Another selection at 1pm using the 2 hour rule.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
I am sorry, I am still confused. Did you mean:
you can't get a new LL after tapping into Slinky as that was (not) your last one booked.

The last one book in this scenario is MFSR. So after 1:30 another selection can be made?
Yes, typo on my part. Fixing.

So in that scenario, you can make another selection as soon as you tap into MFSR or 2 hours after booking MFSR, whichever comes first.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Another way to look at it is this, which is possibly something that @mikejs78 wrote and which I found useful.

Every time you book an LL pass, you then earn yourself a credit for another one.

You can only redeem that credit once, either once you actually tap in to the attraction or 2 hrs after you booked it. You don’t get to redeem it at both points.

At 7am you book ride A and earn a credit for ride A. Your return time is 1:15pm.
At 11am you redeem the credit for A by booking ride B - this is the 2 hr rule because your return time hasn’t come round yet. Your return time for ride B is 12:30pm.
At 12:30pm you go to ride B - at this point you can redeem the credit for ride B by booking ride C. Your return time is 1:30pm.

At 1:15pm you go to ride A. But you’ve already redeemed the credit for ride A so you cannot book another one yet.
At 1:30pm you go to ride C and once you tap in you can redeem the credit for ride C, which you do by booking ride D…..
I didn't come up with the credit analogy, but that's a really good way of describing it!

JAB

This is very interesting. The way I (apparently incorrectly) understood the current rules was that tapping in only allowed you to book a new LL if you had no other upcoming LLs, so I wouldn't have thought it would be possible to book ride C at 12:30 with the LL for ride A still on the books. Time to re-evaluate my strategy once again.

Last edited:

NelsonRD

So revisiting this scenario:

As soon as attraction A is redeemed at 5:30 another selection (F) can be made because it was booked over 2 hours ago?

mikejs78

Premium Member
So revisiting this scenario:

As soon as attraction A is redeemed at 5:30 another selection (F) can be made because it was booked over 2 hours ago?
No. Your credit for attraction A was used when you booked attraction B (2 hours after attraction A was booked).

Given your scenario, you cannot book another attraction until 7 PM because that's when the two hour window for attraction E is used up.

casplas

Now you can have a great time at Universal, but you're saying that you're going to pay the money to get from the airport to Disney, and then pay more money to drive halfway back for Uni because you're mad that you had to pay for the first trip.
i am driving now because of the taking of magical express. with my car, i can go anywhere. though the drivers on I-4 are very scary.

DisneyCane

I watched it last night and it was excellent. Especially the history of Bruce Laval…the type of person that used his instincts/talents to make the Disney parks what they are and would NEVER be hired by the current regime today.

Highly recommend that everyone watch it. Especially those that claimed - falsely from the start - how great fastpass+ was. A selfish stance of insiders that missed the big/longterm picture…not surprising.

This is straight math…facts…science. So like…”true”…and ****.

Instead of the tired, standard,” I THINK it’s great FOR ME” junk.
It was a great video. It essentially proves that the reason for the current long standby lines is that attendance at WDW has increased 36% since OG Fastpass was introduced and there hasn't been anywhere near a 36% increase in attraction capacity. Therefore, no matter what system they implement, it is just impossible to lower the average wait time.

Even with Genie+, on a day where it is saving significant wait time at an individual attraction, except for the first one of the day, you are still "waiting" a significant amount of time to ride. You just aren't doing it in the queue.

It's preferable to not be standing in a long line or possible wait on a different standby line (which is longer than it would be without the system existing) but I don't think that benefit is really worth paying for.

Personally, I would have preferred a Paris-like system with standby prioritized and a limited number (maybe 10% of capacity) of high priced, line skip slots available. That way, once in a lifetime type guests could choose to pay crazy amounts (like $25+ per person per line skip) to do more in less time and guarantee being able to do everything they want to while the line would be as short as possible (which will still be long in a lot of cases) for the rest of the guests.

Either that, or just raise the price $15-$20 per day and include Genie+ for everybody "for free." Then you might get a side benefit of limiting demand somewhat. For Passholders, there would have to be either an add-on for unlimited days of Genie+ or a daily fee when they want to use it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom