GENIE+ HELP/ADVICE NEEDED

yensid1967

I read up on Genie and I have a few questions.
We will be staying off-site, so I know that We cannot get a LL until the park opens, my question is, Will I be able to get a LL at that time? Does Disney reserve LL times for off-site guests, so that all the times are not available?

Ok, so I buy the Genie+ for $15 for Magic Kingdom, but when I go to make a LL reservation, there are not available. Do I get a refund since I cannot use it?

Is Genie as confusing as it seems? It seems this is more confusing than FP!

Do you think Genie is here to stay for good, or will be replaced in a few years?

MissingDisney

short answers-

Will I be able to get a LL at that time? Presumably yes. Maybe not what you want or what time, but generally speaking, yes.

Does Disney reserve LL times for off-site guests. No.

Ok, so I buy the Genie+ for $15 for Magic Kingdom, but when I go to make a LL reservation, there are not available. Do I get a refund since I cannot use it? No. It is highly unlikely every single time for every single attraction will be unavailable.

Is Genie as confusing as it seems? Yes, at first.

Do you think Genie is here to stay for good, or will be replaced in a few years? No one knows.

But much more in depth answers and discussion about each of these questions are covered in the dozens of threads in this subforum.

Upvote 0

graphite1326

short answers-

Will I be able to get a LL at that time? Presumably yes. Maybe not what you want or what time, but generally speaking, yes.

Does Disney reserve LL times for off-site guests. No.

Ok, so I buy the Genie+ for $15 for Magic Kingdom, but when I go to make a LL reservation, there are not available. Do I get a refund since I cannot use it? No. It is highly unlikely every single time for every single attraction will be unavailable.

Is Genie as confusing as it seems? Yes, at first.

Do you think Genie is here to stay for good, or will be replaced in a few years? No one knows.

But much more in depth answers and discussion about each of these questions are covered in the dozens of threads in this subforum.
OK now I'm confused. I thought LL was the pay extra rides that are not part of Genie+.

Upvote 0

JAB

OK now I'm confused. I thought LL was the pay extra rides that are not part of Genie+.
This is a common misconception (thanks in part to early media coverage that reported it that way). "Lightning Lane" is just the name for the priority queue regardless of the ride. There are two ways to get access to Lightning Lanes: Genie+ for most rides, and individual a la carte purchases for the 2 rides in each park that aren't included with Genie+. The MDE app refers to them as "Genie+ Lightning Lane", and "Individual Lightning Lane."

Upvote 0

yensid1967

Original Poster
OK if I want to ride 7DMT, Haunted Manion, Jungle Cruise, PotC, Winnie, PPF, IASW as must rides...which is best to do...pay $15 and hopefully get a chance to ride or pay ILL?(we will be staying off site, so won't be able to make selections til opening) How much are the ILL's?

Upvote 0

Po'Rich

OK if I want to ride 7DMT, Haunted Manion, Jungle Cruise, PotC, Winnie, PPF, IASW as must rides...which is best to do...pay $15 and hopefully get a chance to ride or pay ILL?(we will be staying off site, so won't be able to make selections til opening) How much are the ILL's?
Individual LLs are not available for every ride. In fact, they're only available for 2 rides per park. On your list, 7DMT is an individual LL (not available on Genie+). It's sold out for today, but I think it costs around $11 per person for this LL. Otherwise, it's wait in the standby line (which is currently listed as 100 minutes).

The other rides you list are available on Genie+ (and not available a la carte). Right now, there's the following LLs available for your listed rides:
Haunted Mansion: 5:35 p.m. (55 minute standby)
Jungle Cruise: not available (105 minutes standby)
POTC: 4:50 p.m. (55 minute standby)
Winnie: 3:55 p.m. (55 minute standby)
PPF: Not available (75 minute standby)
IASW: 3:35 p.m. (40 minute standby)

The ILLs range from $7-15.

What should you do and is it worth it? Hell if I know. I bought Genie+ for my upcoming trip, but I'm concerned that I'm going to regret it. I saw a number of posts yesterday of people stating that they bought Genie+ but rarely used it because rides quickly filled up (as you can see with JC and PPF above).

Upvote 0

yensid1967

Original Poster
BRING FASTPASS+BACK!!!! SO MUCH SIMPLER!
IDEA...
Move ILL to FREE FASTPASS, Keep Genie+ as a paid service, but reduce the price of it or reduce the price of admissions by the price of the Genie+(at least make it some kind of incentive for guests to buy it!) Do you think that would work?

Upvote 0

JAB

You can do both. ILL is only for 2 specific rides per park, and those rides aren't included in G+. You can purchase an ILL for 7DMT, and purchase G+ for the other rides. Also, it's only ILL that's limited to on-site at 7am. G+ LLs open up to everyone at 7am.

The prices for the ILL rides can vary by day depending on factors like expected crowds, etc. Here are the price ranges (per person) that I've seen reported so far, but they might be different for your trip:

Magic Kingdom
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train: $10 - $12
Space Mountain: $7 - $9

Epcot
Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure: $8 - $11
Frozen Ever After: $9 - $11

Hollywood Studios
Star Wars Rise of the Resistance: $15
Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway: $8 - $10

Animal Kingdom
Avatar Flight of Passage: $11 - $14
Expedition Everest: $7

So if the must rides are a priority, and you're okay with paying for both, I'd suggest buying G+ and then selecting Jungle Cruise as your first selection at 7am (LLs seem to be going the fastest for this in MK), and purchasing ILL for 7DMT at park open.. Then select your other must rides with G+ throughout the day when you are able (after using your previous G+ LL, or 2 hours after you booked your last G+ LL, starting 2 hours after park open).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yensid1967

Original Poster
You can do both. ILL is only for 2 specific rides per park, and those rides aren't included in G+. You can purchase an ILL for 7DMT, and purchase G+ for the other rides. Also, it's only ILL that's limited to on-site at 7am. G+ LLs open up to everyone at 7am.

The prices for the ILL rides can vary by day depending on factors like expected crowds, etc. Here are the price ranges (per person) that I've seen reported so far, but they might be different for your trip:

Magic Kingdom
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train: $10 - $12
Space Mountain: $7 - $9

Epcot
Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure: $8 - $11
Frozen Ever After: $9 - $11

Hollywood Studios
Star Wars Rise of the Resistance: $15
Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway: $8 - $10

Animal Kingdom
Avatar Flight of Passage: $11 - $14
Expedition Everest: $7

So if the must rides are a priority, and you're okay with paying for both, I'd suggest buying G+ and then selecting Jungle Cruise as your first selection at 7am (LLs seem to be going the fastest for this in MK), and purchasing ILL for 7DMT. Then select your other must rides with G+ throughout the day when you are able (after using your previous G+ LL, or 2 hours after you booked your last G+ LL, starting 2 hours after park open).
your first selection at 7am (LLs seem to be going the fastest for this in MK), and purchasing ILL for 7DMT

We will be staying off property, so won't be able to make 7am selections, right? we have to wait til park open. If I stay off site, do I have to be at the park to make the selections? or can I be at the hotel on I drive and go through Genie?

Lots of things to figure out, it was NEVER THIS CONFUSING or Time consuming!

Upvote 0

JAB

your first selection at 7am (LLs seem to be going the fastest for this in MK), and purchasing ILL for 7DMT

We will be staying off property, so won't be able to make 7am selections, right? we have to wait til park open. If I stay off site, do I have to be at the park to make the selections? or can I be at the hotel on I drive and go through Genie?

Lots of things to figure out, it was NEVER THIS CONFUSING or Time consuming!
Genie+ LLs are available for everyone at 7am. It's only ILLs that don't become available for off-site guests until park open. So you can make your first G+ LL selection at 7am, and then purchase any ILLs after the park opens.

Upvote 0

yensid1967

Original Poster
Genie+ LLs are available for everyone at 7am. It's only ILLs that don't become available for off-site guests until park open. So you can make your first G+ LL selection at 7am, and then purchase any ILLs after the park opens.
THANKS! Stay nearby I may have more questions! (seems you know more than me)

Upvote 0

yensid1967

Original Poster
I have not tried the GENIE+, but my thoughts are that this will end up being replaced. With what? Who knows, maybe they'll bring back Fastpasses and a genie combo kind of free and paid service!
I think its unfair to guests to pay for lightning lanes that are B and C attractions...these should be on the FREE fastpass list and A attractions as a paid a la carte service or even a combined A list price

Upvote 0

Diamond Dot

I'm not going to worry about LL because I'm not paying extra to go on a ride. The Genie+ can't be added on to VH bookings made before it was introduced without losing my dining credits and gift card ($704 worth) but, I may buy it for certain parks, so far I can only justify MK and DHS. The Magical Lens thing is confusing, is it aimed at people who are on social media, which I'm not, I only scrapbook my trip photos, but, I'll do it my first day as I'm booked for MK and decide then.
How I miss FP+ and MDE, it was ideal and there was nothing wrong with it.

Upvote 0

MissViv

Just returned yesterday. My advice is to skip the Genie & LL. I was not going to pay extra to go on the rides. Just wait in line and pick and choose the times and best standby lines.

You should be able to do most or almost of what you want to do just be patient.

Talked to a lady who purchased two LL and the rides were broke down and she did not receive a refund - that would make me really upset.

Upvote 0

yensid1967

Original Poster
Just returned yesterday. My advice is to skip the Genie & LL. I was not going to pay extra to go on the rides. Just wait in line and pick and choose the times and best standby lines.

Talked to a lady who purchased two LL and the rides were broke down and she did not receive a refund - that would make me really upset.
I thought the exact same thing after looking at wait times on the Tip Board for today on My Disney Experience

Upvote 0

DfromATX

BRING FASTPASS+BACK!!!! SO MUCH SIMPLER!
IDEA...
Move ILL to FREE FASTPASS, Keep Genie+ as a paid service, but reduce the price of it or reduce the price of admissions by the price of the Genie+(at least make it some kind of incentive for guests to buy it!) Do you think that would work?
I miss fast passes also and I will never buy Genie+. Boo Genie!!!!

Upvote 0

MissingDisney

If the attraction doesn’t come back up for the entire day, they are indeed giving refunds.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom