News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Tha Realest

Unless they have a fleet of these I'm failing to see the capacity to transport ~300 guests back and forth each day. That's like 30 trips one way from what is shown and that takes how long?
Sorry, due to a stellar space storm your departure will be delayed 45 earth minutes?
Was just wondering the same thing. I’ve really soured on the bus situation the last few trips. Logistically this looks like a problem, especially if you have groups wanting to get there and back around the same time.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I agree with you. The box truck makes sense to me from a heavy chassis and "onboard show" situation.

Worrying about what the truck looks on the outside to CM's parking before their shift as it trundles across the backstage parking lots makes about as much sense as worrying what the exterior of the Haunted Mansion stretching rooms look like to the maintenance guys at 2am.

Speaking of that, I'm looking forward to seeing some POV videos of people arriving and checking in at the Starcruiser. I wonder if the small berm and light landscaping they've placed around the entry road is enough to hide that hulking warehouse this hotel is housed in? At least for the first year or two before this stuff grows in...

Star-Wars-Galactic-Starcruiser-construction-credit-bioreconstruct-twitter-2384640.jpg
It's hard to tell from an overhead shot, but these trees are on significantly tall berms. The contour lines on the water management plans show it clearly (areas shaded green)...

1643509368922.png

fryoj

The vehicle matters, though, even if you won't see it. Imagine the truck is themed outside to look like a space shuttle. As you sit inside going along towards DHS, you know that every person that sees you will be straining their eyes to look again, their hearts filled with envy, making you feel like your $$$$ spent is more than worth it.

As of right now, everybody who sees the box truck driving by will point at it and laugh.

It's not a matter of recognizing a box truck. People might look at any box truck on the highway and automatically assume that it's the famed luxury transport. But most importantly, if the trucks are themed on the outside, it can work as a powerful advertising influence for the Starcruiser. People would think, look at how cool that thing is! I want to ride in it!!!

Yeah.... no.

You are grasping for crap to complain about. No one but super fans who go looking for it will ever even know its anything but a box truck nor should they. The route doesn't go out on the main roads and will just skirt deep parking areas. And making a monorail or a bus or a flying carpet wouldn't change that. Spending thousands to theme these things would get less marketing value than reskinning the monorails to advertise starcruiser. The people riding in it won't know it's a box truck and won't care. It'll almost certainly be an experience like the shuttle on RotR. Those inside will get a little show and not care about making someone jealous. Literally no one affected by the outside of these trucks are going to care what they look like.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I agree with you. The box truck makes sense to me from a heavy chassis and "onboard show" situation.

Worrying about what the truck looks on the outside to CM's parking before their shift as it trundles across the backstage parking lots makes about as much sense as worrying what the exterior of the Haunted Mansion stretching rooms look like to the maintenance guys at 2am.

Speaking of that, I'm looking forward to seeing some POV videos of people arriving and checking in at the Starcruiser. I wonder if the small berm and light landscaping they've placed around the entry road is enough to hide that hulking warehouse this hotel is housed in? At least for the first year or two before this stuff grows in...

Star-Wars-Galactic-Starcruiser-construction-credit-bioreconstruct-twitter-2384640.jpg
Look at it this way -- if it fails as a 2-day LARP experience, the Disney Institute can sell it as a corporate team-building exercise for just about the same money, since everyone could write off the costs as business expenses.

durangojim

I find it interesting that on the cruiser site it says the guests will get front of line acces for the Falcon and Rise once each. To me this implies that guests can come and go as they please but more importantly there is no integration to a greater story with the cruise ship. This seems like another missed opportunity if the only perks at GE are that guests get a FP for the two rides and get a separate truck entrance. I’ll be really interested to hear if any of the doors scattered throughout Batuu open up to reveal anything new for this guests of the cruise.

WowFactor

Despite some controversial buzz I have to credit WDC for the leap of faith.

The proposal of “Dry Cruise” is IMHO a watershed (no pun intended), innovative, and it can indeed break a new barrier, opening a new segment in entertainment tourism.

It is indisputable that the same proposal with a different IP would also drag a crowd. HP for instance would divide guests into houses (through a Sorting Hat at check-in, of course) and compete with each other to see who’d be the big winner of the season in a memorable farewell dinner…

I'm looking forward to seeing all the challenges being overcome, be they logistical, thematic, even legal (can you imagine if the box truck has an serious accident during the trip to Batuu?), so I can spend a couple of nights immersed in a galaxy far far away.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm super curious about the non scheduled stuff. Like if I wake up with a headache at 3 AM can I buy Advil and get a glass of water like in a normal hotel? What will be going on in the "lobby" at this time? That's the stuff I want to know. Lol.
I would *hope* that as being billed as a luxury accommodation, and at that price, you can get whatever you want at any time within reason.

You should ask the CS rep about that when you call to book! ;)

FettFan

It's a great idea but if Disney was going to build more Star Wars locations they would absolutely want as many people as possible there buying things. They wouldn't spend that kind of money on something that was going to sit empty for days at a time.

And ideally they would have expanded the Galaxy's Edge concept by building a fifth gate, "Disney's Star Wars Galaxy".

Yeah.... no.

You are grasping for crap to complain about. No one but super fans who go looking for it will ever even know its anything but a box truck nor should they. The route doesn't go out on the main roads and will just skirt deep parking areas. And making a monorail or a bus or a flying carpet wouldn't change that. Spending thousands to theme these things would get less marketing value than reskinning the monorails to advertise starcruiser. The people riding in it won't know it's a box truck and won't care. It'll almost certainly be an experience like the shuttle on RotR. Those inside will get a little show and not care about making someone jealous. Literally no one affected by the outside of these trucks are going to care what they look like.

I think the sticking point for those complaining is the fact that they see Disney still falling behind Universal.

They think the outside should be as much of the show as the inside, and I can't say that I disagree with them.

Maybe it's an unfair comparison, but it's a comparison that was going to happen.

RSoxNo1

I think the visibility of Galaxy's Edge itself may also be a problem.

Florida Man

I'm super curious about the non scheduled stuff. Like if I wake up with a headache at 3 AM can I buy Advil and get a glass of water like in a normal hotel? What will be going on in the "lobby" at this time? That's the stuff I want to know. Lol.
I think the last time I took a carnival cruise, the little gift shop was closed at 3AM. BUT you never board a carnival cruise without Advil. Lol

FettFan

I'm sure they'll have an astromech unit come deliver it to your room.
from-massiffs-to-matt-berry-35-easter-eggs-and-star-wars-references-in-the-book-of-boba-fett-episode-1-23.jpeg
jjh176vsjo881.jpg

Just wait til you get a spot of indigestion and have to visit the milk of magnesia dispenser.
tumblr_inline_pc4rt0yeW51vagua6_540.png

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Despite some controversial buzz I have to credit WDC for the leap of faith.

The proposal of “Dry Cruise” is IMHO a watershed (no pun intended), innovative, and it can indeed break a new barrier, opening a new segment in entertainment tourism.

It is indisputable that the same proposal with a different IP would also drag a crowd. HP for instance would divide guests into houses (through a Sorting Hat at check-in, of course) and compete with each other to see who’d be the big winner of the season in a memorable farewell dinner…

I'm looking forward to seeing all the challenges being overcome, be they logistical, thematic, even legal (can you imagine if the box truck has an serious accident during the trip to Batuu?), so I can spend a couple of nights immersed in a galaxy far far away.
Come to think of it…Harry Potter is a way better idea for this 🤔
I would *hope* that as being billed as a luxury accommodation, and at that price, you can get whatever you want at any time within reason.

You should ask the CS rep about that when you call to book! ;)
…just when I almost pulled you back up onto the wagon 😉

TP2000

Is this the space nurse department?
galactic-starcruiser-Cast-Members.png

I just got home from a fabulous dinner out with some really witty friends laughing all night long, so I'm honestly in a great mood 🍸🥳, but for whatever reason this photo is just so troubling. :rolleyes:

These are clearly fun and hard working CM's wearing a pre-opening uniform, but for the love of God don't showcase them like this publicly on the 'Gram. These CM's are not yet ready for Prime Time, nor is this photo suitable for mass public distribution just a few weeks before opening a premium-priced and highly-themed offering.

Are there no Disney executives left with any sense of showmanship?!?

In no particular order, off the top of my head...
  • Why? Why would you release this photo publicly? These CM's are not wearing the actual Galactic Starcruiser uniform. They look like nurses wearing generic 21st century scrubs to most folks, or to Disney fans they are obviously wearing a hybrid Launch Bay/ Disneyland Space Mountain uniform. With masks. Outdoors. They look like nurses at a supermarket picking up milk and dog food on their way home from work. It makes the Galactic Starcruiser product look average and mundane and contemporary, instead of premium and exotic and immersive.
  • This is a premium priced product. The most expensive hotel at WDW, which is already an expensive place. So why showcase it like this so amateurish and casual? The Brutalist architecture of the entrance is not impressive, it's unadorned concrete, which is what Brutalism mostly was 50 years ago. This Brutalist porte cochere is not impressive or luxurious, so stop showing it. The amateur faux-fun Selfie! staging of the photo makes it worse.
  • I'm a little worried about this CM demographic. They look to be an average of 25 years old. Have they been trained in luxury hotel operations? What training do they have? What luxury hotel experience do they have? Do they understand the demographic that can afford this hotel can often be very demanding? Please tell me they aren't just former Jungle Cruise Skippers or Port Orleans desk clerks who are Star Wars nerds and put in for a transfer. I'm worried just by looking at their obvious lack of job tenure, even with how excited they look.
  • And again with those uniforms. Who approved branding this allegedly luxury property pre-opening with such cheap and unattractive nurse uniforms? You are literally making it worse. Do not release photos of CM's until the CM's are wearing their official, themed uniforms! This is Disney Theme Park Operation 101 level stuff.
  • Who the heck is in charge? It's technically Mr. Vahle, but the multiple errors in judgement it took for him to release this tacky and brand-damaging photo only a few weeks before opening should make investors and fans alike worry.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom