News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Brer Oswald

So taking the exact same design and just making it the most obvious and uninspired color for a space ship would have saved this for you? Interesting.
Like I said, sometimes things are over designed. Sometimes simple is better. A lot of us hated Tomorrowland’s design because of how many metallic pieces were on the building.

ImperfectPixie

If it was a solid, shiny, platinum color, I would have thought it was cool.
No. "Shiny" and spaceship should never be used in the same sentence together. They fly at hundreds of miles an hour through space...and they get beat up.

Also...Lucas made that exact mistake with the Naboo ships in the Star Wars prequels. They didn't look believable AT ALL.

Dunston

No. "Shiny" and spaceship should never be used in the same sentence together. They fly at hundreds of miles an hour through space...and they get beat up.

I don't remember who said it but someone on the internet wrote that if there were a thesis of the original Epcot Center it was the Space Shuttle. That 80's step towards the future of space travel really informed and inspired so much about the 1982 park.

Stupido

Like I said, sometimes things are over designed. Sometimes simple is better. A lot of us hated Tomorrowland’s design because of how many metallic pieces were on the building.
That’s a great example, and I fully agree with you about Tomorrowland. I think it would be much more successful if they streamlined design there. I don’t think it should be nearly as cartoony as it is today.

However, the MCU is the most successful film series in history, and has the largest fandom today. People even outside of the MCU cult should know what these ships look like. To change the color would be PR suicide, especially after the backlash of avengers campus. I completely agree with disneys decision to match the movies.

As for the blue and gold looking out of place in front of the building, we have no idea what the queue will look like. I’m sure the blue and gold will be heavily featured there, just like ride vehicle is blue and gold. Don’t forget we’re judging this before disney has even finished painting the building yet.

I hope you like the final product better than you do today. :)

James Alucobond

It’s not real. It’s a Marvel fantasy.
Then ... let it look how it looks in Marvel's own cinematic canon? Marvel is obviously tightly controlling this project since it's apparently being managed by a separate team from the one tasked with the rest of EPCOT's transformation. That usually means they want to clamp down and focus on accuracy, not let the creative team run wild.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My understanding:

In the MCU, Xandar was halved in population by Thanos the old fashioned way before 'the blip.' Thus, they are still at half capacity (plus any collateral damage trying to fight him off). So, Xandar isn't at full strength, nor is it totally devastated.

The MCU in the parks is a variant universe -- it's its own Marvel Parks Universe (MPU). E.g., the interaction of The Collector with the Guardian in Mission Breakout is completely different than in the MCU. This has been confirmed by Disney personnel several times.

AFAIK, the blip hasn't been mentioned in the MPU, nor Thanos's previous 'Halving' of Xandar. So, in the MPU, Xandar could still be at full force. Or not. The Nova ship didn't have to be like the one in the MCU, but, in general, the look of things in the MPU follows the MCU. They're close parallel dimensions.

Brer Oswald

That’s a great example, and I fully agree with you about Tomorrowland. I think it would be much more successful if they streamlined design there. I don’t think it should be nearly as cartoony as it is today.

However, the MCU is the most successful film series in history, and has the largest fandom today. People even outside of the MCU cult should know what these ships look like. To change the color would be PR suicide, especially after the backlash of avengers campus. I completely agree with disneys decision to match the movies.

As for the blue and gold looking out of place in front of the building, we have no idea what the queue will look like. I’m sure the blue and gold will be heavily featured there, just like ride vehicle is blue and gold. Don’t forget we’re judging this before disney has even finished painting the building yet.

I hope you like the final product better than you do today. :)
While MCU is definitely big, I think the characters are what people outside of the core fanbase recognize. As far as iconic objects and set pieces, you can make a case for the infinity gauntlet, the stones, Thor’s hammer, and Avengers Tower as being easily recognizable in the mainstream. But the ship from Guardians? I watched both films twice and I didn’t know what it looked like until I saw the concept art for this ride. I posted it in a Discord server today and they all asked me what it was. I think you’re inflating it’s “icon status” just a bit. Changing the character actors would be the big deal you’d suggest (ie. replacing Chris Pratt for James Marsden).

As for the final product, I hope I enjoy it. It has the potential to be a good ride experience. But it already has a lot going against it, most notably the poor place making.

Phicinfan

It was absolutely not restored. The only things restored were things deleted specifically by the blip. Anything Thanos destroyed earlier - like Vision, Gamora, and Xander - are very much still gone.
This has been confirmed since they plan to bring Nova to the MCU, and he was the sole survivor of Xandar. Per the story lines I have read about.

Phicinfan

My understanding:

In the MCU, Xandar was halved in population by Thanos the old fashioned way before 'the blip.' Thus, they are still at half capacity (plus any collateral damage trying to fight him off). So, Xandar isn't at full strength, nor is it totally devastated.
I don't think so, I can't remember who stated it, but hey said it was fully destroyed when Thanos came to get the power stone. Per storylines I have heard for MCU- Nova will join, and he will be the sole survivor, and he will be the sole carrier of the Nova Core power.
The MCU in the parks is a variant universe -- it's its own Marvel Parks Universe (MPU). E.g., the interaction of The Collector with the Guardian in Mission Breakout is completely different than in the MCU. This has been confirmed by Disney personnel several times.
Have not heard this. Interesting
AFAIK, the blip hasn't been mentioned in the MPU, nor Thanos's previous 'Halving' of Xandar. So, in the MPU, Xandar could still be at full force. Or not. The Nova ship didn't have to be like the one in the MCU, but, in general, the look of things in the MPU follows the MCU. They're close parallel dimensions.
Not sure of this either. Can you show me where they state this is a variant?

jinx8402

I don't think so, I can't remember who stated it, but hey said it was fully destroyed when Thanos came to get the power stone. Per storylines I have heard for MCU- Nova will join, and he will be the sole survivor, and he will be the sole carrier of the Nova Core power.

Have not heard this. Interesting

Not sure of this either. Can you show me where they state this is a variant?

DrewmanS

monorail view

For some reason, in my mind I had been envisioning the area around the base of the ship to be water. Maybe that was just lingering memories of UofE. In the video I see its just flat concrete with a planting bed surrounding it in a triangular shape. The back side has a walkway with a gate. There is conduit sticking up from the ground which I assume if for lights to illuminate the ship. So what will this area under the ship be used for? Overflow queue? Special events area (Nova Corp desert party)? PhotoPass location?

It's definitely designed to allow guests in this area, so the pedastal will have to be covered in a way to prevent guests from climbing up. Of course that means someone will eventually attempt to climb it which will result in additional railings, signs, warnings, and the eventual removal of the ship (but that is a discussion for after the construction walls come down!)

James Alucobond

It's definitely designed to allow guests in this area, so the pedastal will have to be covered in a way to prevent guests from climbing up. Of course that means someone will eventually attempt to climb it which will result in additional railings, signs, warnings, and the eventual removal of the ship (but that is a discussion for after the construction walls come down!)
There are already poles in place for swagged chain or rope around the ship inside the triangle of planters. If I had to guess, they may intend to allow folks to enter a photo queue from the northern gate into the area and just fairly tightly control the number of guests in the area at once. Or perhaps in the age of distanced meet-and-greets and sightings, it will act as an area for characters to appear.

Some of the concept art also suggests various polyhedrons may eventually adorn the back corners of the space.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom