Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trauma

Sorry. My crystal ball is broken. It broke when we were supposed to return to the office in October of last year and then that was cancelled. My crystal ball shattered a second time when we were supposed to return to the office on January 10, and then that was cancelled. We are now working from home until further notice so I will not predict any more dates. I can’t. My crystal ball is lying at the bottom of the Hudson River.
I’ve never left the office. Sorry to hear about your crystal ball.

I just hope when this is declared endemic that mitigations are immediately dropped.

We get a glimpse at what to expect thanks to the U.K.

If things go well there I expect us to follow suit quickly.

If not then we adjust accordingly.

Trauma

Being declared endemic isn’t a one and done thing.
Once people hear the word endemic it’s game over. People will drop mitigations and never go back.

That’s why the decision should be made carefully.

It’s going to be almost impossible to reverse course.

That’s why I expect them to move slowly and wait until April or May.

BuddyThomas

I just hope when this is declared endemic that mitigations are immediately dropped.

That’s fine, but I work in the Broadway community, and the show reopenings so far have been pretty shaky at best. So many actors and crew catching it, many shows like Jagged Little Pill, Ain’t Too Proud, and Girl from the North Country have closed altogether and others like To Kill a Mockingbird and Mrs. Doubtfire postponed until spring. It’s not looking good where I am now, but I guess we’ll see what happens. Hoping for the best, but then again, I was hoping for the best before the emergence of Omicron…

JoeCamel

I think it’s time we take a page from the UK’s playbook. No more COVID mandates and let’s just get on with our lives. If that makes you uncomfortable feel free to reside on your couch.
I hope you understand that is mostly a political move to deflect focus to the lessening of mitigations.
Well when the CDC says it’s endemic that would mean that the pandemic is over.

When they come to that conclusion is anyone guess but my money is on before May.

Edit : I know it’s up to the WHO to declare it over but I don’t think anyone pays attention to them anymore.

The U.K. is not the best lens to use for our situation. Besides the political implications of why they are choosing to do this at this time they have tried this before and omicron came shortly after to sweep through the population. Maybe that will give them some more immunity but their vaccination rate is much different from the US as is their infection rate.
We are not the UK. Anyone check the world o meter to see what is happening in the low vax areas? This is still very much a world problem.
The WHO is begging for vaccines maybe that will help get the circulating virus down so we don't get the next mutation, we heard about omicron just two months ago? but it takes years not months to dig ourselves out of this mess.
7% inflation? Ha, I remember 17% and getting 13% for a CD. This is going to hurt for a very long time in many ways outside the medical field, tried to buy a throat lozenge lately?

mmascari

Those two things aren’t necessarily related like that.

For some things, I’m sure they are. But we’re already not doing most of those things anyway. For other things, changing from pandemic to endemic may just mean those things stay around and are the new normal.

Malaria is endemic in areas, that doesn’t mean they don’t mitigate against it. It’s the reverse, they use mitigations like sleeping under nets because it’s endemic. While in areas where it’s not, we don’t sleep under nets.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

For some things, I’m sure they are. But we’re already not doing most of those things anyway. For other things, changing from pandemic to endemic may just mean those things stay around and are the new normal.

Malaria is endemic in areas, that doesn’t mean they don’t mitigate against it. It’s the reverse, they use mitigations like sleeping under nets because it’s endemic. While in areas where it’s not, we don’t sleep under nets.
I don't want to wear masks anymore.....forever....:(

JAB

Like that hasn't happened already?
Not where we are. Not only are masks still required, but at the beginning of the year, they started requiring proof of vaccination to eat indoors (even at fast food places), go to a bar, gym, movie theater, etc.

Joesixtoe

Anxiety and worrying about health is not quite an addiction. Some have fears of it - some irrational and some more understandable. I know some who are nearly paralyzed with fear of going in public because or it. Being willing to wear a mask or even pushing in some cases and pushing for vaccines isn't a sign of addiction. It's really a sign that some care. I am very hopeful this ends soon. I'm tired of it all...
The problem is, the pushing for the vaccines isn't some haha joke here. People on this board and in the new Rasmussen poll suggested unvaccinated persons stay home and should not be aloud to do anything outside of feeding themselves in which they also didn't want the unvaccinated to work. That's not ok lol. You said oh well the pushing of vaccines is just a sign that people are scared and that they care. People want others to not be able to afford food. While the contrast to those pushing that is, " if you want to take the vaccine..cool." That's a drastic shift in ideals. I said this from the very beginning, it's not a good road to go down, don't let your minds go there. Now look, everyone gets the virus, the politicians are starting to spew the word endemic and things will slowly creep back to normal before the midterms. Fear is a terrible thing, believe me I've suffered with panic disorder for over a year and it's awful, but to push those fears on others and hurt the thousands of families it has hurt, isn't right. With that, let's move on, try and work together and understand each other despite our differences. Let Mercy and Truth prevail.

Trauma

I hope you understand that is mostly a political move to deflect focus to the lessening of mitigations.

The U.K. is not the best lens to use for our situation. Besides the political implications of why they are choosing to do this at this time they have tried this before and omicron came shortly after to sweep through the population. Maybe that will give them some more immunity but their vaccination rate is much different from the US as is their infection rate.
We are not the UK. Anyone check the world o meter to see what is happening in the low vax areas? This is still very much a world problem.
The WHO is begging for vaccines maybe that will help get the circulating virus down so we don't get the next mutation, we heard about omicron just two months ago? but it takes years not months to dig ourselves out of this mess.
7% inflation? Ha, I remember 17% and getting 13% for a CD. This is going to hurt for a very long time in many ways outside the medical field, tried to buy a throat lozenge lately?
I understand that the U.K. is motivated by politics.

We are not supposed to talk about it so I will just say that things in the States have been known to be motivated by politics as well.

I would also point out that our economy is in a unbelievably bad place right now and the longer this is drawn out the worse it will get.

Nubs70

Malaria is transmitted by a vector know as a mosquito.

Covid is transmitted by a vector known as a human

A mosqito net acts as a barrier to the mosquito thus transmission

A.basement, isolated from HVAC and other humans, acts as a barrier to the human thus transmission of Covid.

MrHappy

That’s fine, but I work in the Broadway community, and the show reopenings so far have been pretty shaky at best. So many actors and crew catching it, many shows like Jagged Little Pill, Ain’t Too Proud, and Girl from the North Country have closed altogether and others like To Kill a Mockingbird and Mrs. Doubtfire postponed until spring. It’s not looking good where I am now, but I guess we’ll see what happens. Hoping for the best, but then again, I was hoping for the best before the emergence of Omicron…
You don’t need a crystal ball to look at the current data. New York is well on the down slope. Hang in there, next week and we’ll be back to November numbers. It’s like a weird Back to the Future.

lazyboy97o

The problem is, the pushing for the vaccines isn't some haha joke here. People on this board and in the new Rasmussen poll suggested unvaccinated persons stay home and should not be aloud to do anything outside of feeding themselves in which they also didn't want the unvaccinated to work. That's not ok lol. You said oh well the pushing of vaccines is just a sign that people are scared and that they care. People want others to not be able to afford food. While the contrast to those pushing that is, " if you want to take the vaccine..cool." That's a drastic shift in ideals. I said this from the very beginning, it's not a good road to go down, don't let your minds go there. Now look, everyone gets the virus, the politicians are starting to spew the word endemic and things will slowly creep back to normal before the midterms. Fear is a terrible thing, believe me I've suffered with panic disorder for over a year and it's awful, but to push those fears on others and hurt the thousands of families it has hurt, isn't right. With that, let's move on, try and work together and understand each other despite our differences. Let Mercy and Truth prevail.
It is a road we have already gone down many times and with great success.

You still haven’t given one example of when treatment would be better than prevention.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Malaria is transmitted by a vector know as a mosquito.

Covid is transmitted by a vector known as a human

A mosqito net acts as a barrier to the mosquito thus transmission

A.basement, isolated from HVAC and other humans, acts as a barrier to the human thus transmission of Covid.
And thus we should wear masks around others.

[Aww... you came so close to making the mask argument. Good for you!!]

seascape

Today's numbers continue to improve. The US is down to 222 cases per 100k, 48 hospitalizations and 0.61 deaths. Florida is at 205, 54, and 0.32. NY is at 183, 65 and 1.06. NJ is at 159, 64 and 1.00.

Now looking at these numbers the deaths and hospitalizations are still higher than we would like.

Any death from Covid19 is horrible as is the fear one gets when they ate hospitalized. I can tell you being told you are possitive for Covid19, even when you are feeling better, is a terrible feeling. I knew I had it for 3 days before officially being told I had it. I was feeling better at the time but remebered all the news stories of those who turned for the worse and died. I also know we cant take Covid19 for granted even if we had it and were vaccinated. A friends aunt had Covid in 2020, was vaccinated and boosted yet got Omicron and this time got lung damage. It does not matter if something is less deadly if you, a loved one or just a friend gets it.

I know the numbers are getting better and that we will soon be back to a new normal. However, please take this as a learning experience. Remember because of the steps we took last winter there was no flue season. That means we saved tens of thousands lives. If we continue to take reasonable steps all the time we can save more lives from other illnesses than we lost from Covid19. It will take years but it can be done. Learn from this and save lives and prevent illnesses.

maui2k7

Today's numbers continue to improve. The US is down to 222 cases per 100k, 48 hospitalizations and 0.61 deaths. Florida is at 205, 54, and 0.32. NY is at 183, 65 and 1.06. NJ is at 159, 64 and 1.00.

Now looking at these numbers the deaths and hospitalizations are still higher than we would like.

Any death from Covid19 is horrible as is the fear one gets when they ate hospitalized. I can tell you being told you are possitive for Covid19, even when you are feeling better, is a terrible feeling. I knew I had it for 3 days before officially being told I had it. I was feeling better at the time but remebered all the news stories of those who turned for the worse and died. I also know we cant take Covid19 for granted even if we had it and were vaccinated. A friends aunt had Covid in 2020, was vaccinated and boosted yet got Omicron and this time got lung damage. It does not matter if something is less deadly if you, a loved one or just a friend gets it.

I know the numbers are getting better and that we will soon be back to a new normal. However, please take this as a learning experience. Remember because of the steps we took last winter there was no flue season. That means we saved tens of thousands lives. If we continue to take reasonable steps all the time we can save more lives from other illnesses than we lost from Covid19. It will take years but it can be done. Learn from this and save lives and prevent illnesses.
What exactly are you suggesting post COVID? Masks every flu season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom