News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

mattpeto

A few years ago, my wife wanted a room at AKL with a Savannah view. I paid the big bucks for a room there for a week plus $25/day for parking. I discovered that we spent hardly any time enjoying the view or much of anything else about the resort and as soon as we got dressed we headed out to whatever park we were going to for the day. By the time we got back it was dark and thus nothing to see.

On my most recent trip I stayed at a $70/night Comfort Inn, close to Universal. I was as satisfied with that stay as the mega bucks Disney resort. I also didn't have to pay anything for parking and got a free daily buffet hot breakfast, too. I think I know what my choice will be when/if I return to WDW.
That’s funny, we just spent the extra money for Savanna view in December and we fell in love with AKL, where we are considering DVC again. As much as we love the parks, the highlights from our trip was the resorts, Sanaa and Boma.

We both carry our fandom as we are chatting here, but I live in an alternate universe, I suppose.

TrainsOfDisney

Posters have found rideshare fares of $90 plus tip. You don't know how much rideshare will cost until go to book it
If it’s up at $90 you just wait out the surge. Uber x is currently $35 and XL is $52.

Just for fun I priced out a Dollywood vacation package. May 30 for 4 nights in the Dollywood hotel with a 3 day ticket for 2 adults and 1 child. Came out just over $1,811. I did the same nights for Disney staying at Coronado Springs with a base ticket for the same group. Came out to $2,146. I don't know about Dollywoods hotel or parking fees or anything like that. I'm pretty sure the have no service similar to ME. But honestly the prices aren't that far apart.
I’m surprised the prices are that close but if you were flying you’d either have to rent a car or have about an hour Uber ride. Uber currently prices at $50 / $75 for XL so not too bad.
Also: Mears needs an option to go directly to the parks. Bypassing the resorts would be nice (especially if you don't have a checked luggage) and just utilize the lockers.
does Disney have lockers large enough for luggage?

Disstevefan1

A few years ago, my wife wanted a room at AKL with a Savannah view. I paid the big bucks for a room there for a week plus $25/day for parking. I discovered that we spent hardly any time enjoying the view or much of anything else about the resort and as soon as we got dressed we headed out to whatever park we were going to for the day. By the time we got back it was dark and thus nothing to see.

On my most recent trip I stayed at a $70/night Comfort Inn, close to Universal. I was as satisfied with that stay as the mega bucks Disney resort. I also didn't have to pay anything for parking and got a free daily buffet hot breakfast, too. I think I know what my choice will be when/if I return to WDW.
Excellent choice! My family's view is your room is "only a place to sleep" so I totally agree and the free breakfast saves a lot of money compared to breakfast at any of the Disney hotels or theme park food for breakfast!

Purduevian

Current prices to the Swalphin from MCO (the only place I currently stay at WDW)
Mears connect: $16 per person
Express service: $250 (up to 4 passengers)

UberX (up to 3 people)$34.96
Uber XL (up to 5 people) $51.06

Lyft (up to 3 people) $35.73
Lyft Prefered (up to 3 people) $39.92
Lyft XL (up to 5 people) $45.79

Rental car for 3 hours today to the car care center:
National:
Compact: $170
Minivan $213.06
16 passenger van $339.80

Alamo:
Intermediate (electric is cheapest) $144.88
Minivan $189.63
15 passenger van $216.79

Chip Chipperson

That’s funny, we just spent the extra money for Savanna view in December and we fell in love with AKL, where we are considering DVC again. As much as we love the parks, the highlights from our trip was the resorts, Sanaa and Boma.

We both carry our fandom as we are chatting here, but I live in an alternate universe, I suppose.

Same here. We had banked points from 2020 to use up, so we sprung for a Savannah View 1-bedroom villa and loved it. It's not a room I'd book every trip, but it was great this time since we already planned on spending more time than usual at the resort rather than in the parks. And there was a baby zebra! Can't beat that!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So... what's the best way to *ship* one's luggage (or the majority of one's luggage) to your Disney hotel so that it's there when you arrive. And how much of a hassle to ship it back home?

Asking for friend.

bcoachable

One time, I was able to find a one-day car rental from Dollar for just $20.

I took the rental to my Disney hotel, making sure they knew I wasn't leaving the car there to park over night, but to just drop off my luggage. Then I drove the car to the Disney Springs hotel that had a Dollar drop-off/counter. Then I walked to DS and was in the bubble.

Can't find such cheap rentals now, but, doesn't hurt to look...

View attachment 613763

IT's TRICKY to ROCK a RHYME.....
(Nice!)

1642173282956.png

Current prices to the Swalphin from MCO (the only place I currently stay at WDW)

National:
Minivan $213.06
16 passenger van $339.80

Alamo:
Minivan $189.63
15 passenger van $216.79
I'd like to know the price for a limo for 5 from MCO to Contemporary

Ayla

Now a thought?

MOST of us tended to fly into MCO, rather than SFO.... because MDE did not service Sanford.
This was probably the major reason for NOT using Allegiant.

Now - no MDE. Has the equation changed?
Allegiant has never been an option for me (for multiple reasons), so no, it hasn't changed.

Disstevefan1

National:
Minivan $213.06
16 passenger van $339.80

Alamo:
Minivan $189.63
15 passenger van $216.79
Excellent breakdown!

On a related subject, in the post DME and post pandemic world when everything is back into full swing, I wonder how much additions traffic will be generated on both on the roads getting to and from the resorts as well as the drop off and pick up areas of the resorts?

Hotamber

So... what's the best way to *ship* one's luggage (or the majority of one's luggage) to your Disney hotel so that it's there when you arrive. And how much of a hassle to ship it back home?

Asking for friend.
One big box USPS as they charge $6 a package sent to the hotel. The pro tip is to go to the post office and get a plastic mailer bag for your clothes pre pay and take it with you. At WDW fill your carry on bag with what you buy and at the end of your trip drop off your prepaid mailer bag of clothes at the front desk to be mailed out for free. Bring more prepaid USPS bags if you think you will be buying more then your carry on can hold. Enjoy the cheap rates and reach of the greatest mail system in the world the USPS

lewisc

le
If it’s up at $90 you just wait out the surge. Uber x is currently $35 and XL is $52.
Maybe if I'm at my resort looking to go to DS or off property.

Not if I just picked up my luggage and want to go to go to my resort. I fly SW. I have no desire to schlep my luggage over to shared shuttle area. I'd rather have a set price, with a brief grocery stop.

TrainsOfDisney

Maybe if I'm at my resort looking to go to DS or off property.

Not if I just picked up my luggage and want to go to go to my resort. I fly SW. I have no desire to schlep my luggage over to shared shuttle area. I'd rather have a set price, with a brief grocery stop.

Where does the set price option pick you and your luggage up from?

lewisc

Where does the set price option pick you and your luggage up from?
Car service drivers will either meet you at baggage claim or pick you up at a numbered spot (communicated via text) on the same level as baggage claim. Just go through the doors.

Mears Connect and Sunshine require (from SW baggage claims) going back up to level 3, walking diagonally accross the airport then down to level 1. Not an issue when DME took care of your bags.

lewisc

Surge pricing will happen but I just checked and its $35 for UberX and $53 for UberXL.

MCO to Pop.
JMO I don't want to be waiting, with luggage, for the price to drop. $150 -$200 R/T gives you a car waiting for you, vs 10 minute wait with Uber, and an included grocery stop.

Ride share works if you don't want a grocery stop and you're willing to wait for the price to come down.

TrainsOfDisney

JMO I don't want to be waiting, with luggage, for the price to drop. $150 -$200 R/T gives you a car waiting for you, vs 10 minute wait with Uber, and an included grocery stop.

Ride share works if you don't want a grocery stop and you're willing to wait for the price to come down.
I can see the appeal of reserving a car in advance, especially if they will meet you at luggage and take your bags with you.

I’m good with waiting for a price to drop and heck I’ve taken Lynx before cause $2 is $2! Haha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom