News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

UNCgolf

I checked one way for Lyft when I landed and it was going to be $60 pretax. This was at 10am on a Wednesday (race weekend). So I took the $16 (also pretax) option and the free sunglasses.

Yeah, that's why I said this would likely make more sense for solo travelers (and possibly couples).

Posters have found rideshare fares of $90 plus tip. You don't know how much rideshare will cost until go to book it

Right, but if you have a group of 5 people, the Mears trip is going to cost just as much. Even if the Uber/Lyft ended up being $10-15 more expensive it'd probably still be worth it for the time saved by going direct to your destination.

Regardless, that kind of pricing is what I predicted earlier on this thread -- I assumed Uber/Lyft prices would increase with the end of DME as more people tried to use them.

Basil of Baker Street

Just for fun I priced out a Dollywood vacation package. May 30 for 4 nights in the Dollywood hotel with a 3 day ticket for 2 adults and 1 child. Came out just over $1,811. I did the same nights for Disney staying at Coronado Springs with a base ticket for the same group. Came out to $2,146. I don't know about Dollywoods hotel or parking fees or anything like that. I'm pretty sure the have no service similar to ME. But honestly the prices aren't that far apart.

ToTBellHop

Yeah, that's why I said this would likely make more sense for solo travelers (and possibly couples).

Right, but if you have a group of 5 people, the Mears trip is going to cost just as much. Even if the Uber/Lyft ended up being $10-15 more expensive it'd probably still be worth it for the time saved by going direct to your destination.

Regardless, that kind of pricing is what I predicted earlier on this thread -- I assumed Uber/Lyft prices would increase with the end of DME as more people tried to use them.
My issue with Lyft or Uber is I pay for the bigger vehicles and still struggle with the amount of luggage 4 people bring to Central Florida for a week.

My God, transporting bags from the airport to my room was such an awesome service. Actually “magical.” I miss it.

pdude81

My issue with Lyft or Uber is I pay for the bigger vehicles and still struggle with the amount of luggage 4 people bring to Central Florida for a week.

My God, transporting bags from the airport to my room was such an awesome service. Actually “magical.” I miss it.
The Mears connect FAQ says: "Mears is exploring luggage service and will send an update to all interested and already reserved guests if and when it's available."

If that comes back it's a game changer for many. Then again, if I can't weigh and check my bags at the resort it's less valuable.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Yes, it’s insanely unpredictable and changes minute-to-minute. But $59 each way for this or Sunshine for my family of four is not unreasonable.

I’m very curious to hear about Sunshine Flyer next month. It sounds good on paper. No worries about getting picked up by Libyans also looking for plutonium.
I'm considering giving Sunshine Flyer a shot early next month (round trip). Only thing making me a bit nervous is I'll be riding MCO-WDW just one day after they start operations Feb 1st. Solo trip, hope everything goes well. 🤞

I'll gladly report back on my experience.

Patcheslee

Just for fun I priced out a Dollywood vacation package. May 30 for 4 nights in the Dollywood hotel with a 3 day ticket for 2 adults and 1 child. Came out just over $1,811. I did the same nights for Disney staying at Coronado Springs with a base ticket for the same group. Came out to $2,146. I don't know about Dollywoods hotel or parking fees or anything like that. I'm pretty sure the have no service similar to ME. But honestly the prices aren't that far apart.
There isn't an airport close enough for a reasonable ride to the hotel. They do offer resort transportation to and from the park. Resort parking is free, theme park parking is also free. A limited timesaver is included (their version of FP) which allows unscheduled access to 8 attractions each day of your stay.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
One time, I was able to find a one-day car rental from Dollar for just $20.

I took the rental to my Disney hotel, making sure they knew I wasn't leaving the car there to park over night, but to just drop off my luggage. Then I drove the car to the Disney Springs hotel that had a Dollar drop-off/counter. Then I walked to DS and was in the bubble.

Can't find such cheap rentals now, but, doesn't hurt to look...

1642102971945.png

mattpeto

The Mears connect FAQ says: "Mears is exploring luggage service and will send an update to all interested and already reserved guests if and when it's available."

If that comes back it's a game changer for many. Then again, if I can't weigh and check my bags at the resort it's less valuable.

I'll be thrilled if they do it, but I'd be surprised if they can pull it off.

Remember Disney dropped the luggage off at your room, not bell services. I don't think Mears will be able to arrange that sort of "happy ending" but get you to Bell Services. Would that be worth $20 per person?

pdude81

I'll be thrilled if they do it, but I'd be surprised if they can pull it off.

Remember Disney dropped the luggage off at your room, not bell services. I don't think Mears will be able to arrange that sort of "happy ending" but get you to Bell Services. Would that be worth $20 per person?
I would be quite happy to not go wait at the luggage counter if that took the price from $16 to $20 per person and then I had to call to bell services for my bags later. Mears would probably pay them some sort of transfer fee on your behalf and then you tip the bellman. Now as for sending bags back I don't see that happening because it is all risk and no reward for Disney.

lewisc

I would be quite happy to not go wait at the luggage counter if that took the price from $16 to $20 per person and then I had to call to bell services for my bags later. Mears would probably pay them some sort of transfer fee on your behalf and then you tip the bellman. Now as for sending bags back I don't see that happening because it is all risk and no reward for Disney.
Bags will grab your luggage at baggage claim and deliver it to your resort $40 for first 2 then $10 per bag. I guess the cost could go down substantially if Mears or Sunshine produced volume.

RAC would probably have to pay rent to Disney.

pdude81

Bags will grab your luggage at baggage claim and deliver it to your resort $40 for first 2 then $10 per bag. I guess the cost could go down substantially if Mears or Sunshine produced volume.

RAC would probably have to pay rent to Disney.
True, but I don't want my stuff coming out on the carousel. As unique as my bags were at one time, one this trip I saw the same bag or series multiple times. Even once on the same carousel for a flight just landing before mine. Those yellow tags to pre-pull bags were huge.

I would certainly consider some of this if bundled with my stay or with my transportation, but likely wouldn't if it meant coordinating with yet another vendor.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Now a thought?

MOST of us tended to fly into MCO, rather than SFB.... because MDE did not service Sanford.
This was probably the major reason for NOT using Allegiant.

Now - no MDE. Has the equation changed?

Last edited:

Patcheslee

Now a thought?

MOST of us tended to fly into MCO, rather than SFO.... because MDE did not service Sanford.
This was probably the major reason for NOT using Allegiant.

Now - no MDE. Has the equation changed?
Personally no, but that's due to Allegiants history of flight cancelations. They don't fly daily from my home airport, so I wouldn't risk it.

RoadiJeff

Maybe not for flying, but maybe folks will consider staying off site in one of the many high quality accommodations where you get more for your money.
A few years ago, my wife wanted a room at AKL with a Savannah view. I paid the big bucks for a room there for a week plus $25/day for parking. I discovered that we spent hardly any time enjoying the view or much of anything else about the resort and as soon as we got dressed we headed out to whatever park we were going to for the day. By the time we got back it was dark and thus nothing to see.

On my most recent trip I stayed at a $70/night Comfort Inn, close to Universal. I was as satisfied with that stay as the mega bucks Disney resort. I also didn't have to pay anything for parking and got a free daily buffet hot breakfast, too. I think I know what my choice will be when/if I return to WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom