News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

TP2000

From what the other travelers are saying, nobody really cares about the Disney PR. Disney PR is usually bad. Most of the people I've spoken to are other LARPers so we're all much more interested in our characters and the stories we'll get to create in the environment. General mood is we hope for awesome things from Disney, but we're bringing a lot of the awesome ourselves anyway.

Disney PR didn't used to be so bad and cringey, but that's another topic.

It's interesting to read your take on this as an actual customer, and thanks for sharing! I must confess to not knowing much about LARPing and not being a diehard Star Wars fan. So I have to ask you this...

Is the concerns of non-fans like myself about the generic looking aesthetic of the ship, especially the bridge, of concern to you? Are we off base about fussing over that aesthetic? Is this a case of non-fans like me not really getting it?

It sounds like you are genuinely excited about the Galactic Starcruiser and it's LARP aspect, which again I'm afraid I don't know much about. How worried are you that the ship looks not very Star Warsy? (not a word) Are folks like me off-base for focusing on that aesthetic vibe when it's really the LARP aspect that generates excitement?

LSLS

Well, here's where I play the pessimist in thinking they won't spend the money on multiple buses. Perhaps... two, so there's a back-up if one doesn't work.

I'd be shocked. Their itineraries give 10 minutes for travel. I can't imagine telling people to come wait for 1 hour to travel to and from GE. And I'm imagining people missing something like lightsaber training because they need to sit a the bus depot to transfer back for an hour.

Patcheslee

For those asking, I'm in a March "sailing" and we've set up our "excursion" plans. From the sounds of it, what we do/see/interact with on Batuu effects our overall story to the point that I'm hiking into DHS to play in that Disney play app in a few weeks to fix my alignments in there before our trip. (You get alignments based on missions completed for different sides, and oh boy do I need to balance mine out for the character I'm going as) We don't have the exact times for departing the starcruiser yet but we do have our savi's/oga's reservations. Ours are at 10am and 1pm but we had 9am-3pm available as a window. We do have lightning lane access for each attraction, once. But as others have pointed out, there's only a few hundred people per "sailing" so even if every single one of us bum rushed the same attraction you really wouldn't notice. Well, you'd notice the herd of cosplayers, but not a significant increase in wait times.

From what the other travelers are saying, nobody really cares about the Disney PR. Disney PR is usually bad. Most of the people I've spoken to are other LARPers so we're all much more interested in our characters and the stories we'll get to create in the environment. General mood is we hope for awesome things from Disney, but we're bringing a lot of the awesome ourselves anyway.
Is your LL access scheduled or anytime? Also assume it's only RotR and SR included, nothing outside GE? Did they mention what time the shuttle begins? I know FAQ page says it only runs until 4pm.

Sir_Cliff

I think that's such a wildly different situation that it's not really precedent.

I think from Disney's perspective, riding Rise is a very minor part of the experience -- no one is spending $5-6k just for the ride when they could do it for $15 a person. I'm also guessing that most of the people who are willing to pay for the Starcruiser aren't that concerned with it either. Not to say they wouldn't be annoyed/upset if they couldn't get on (which is why I asked the question in the first place) but I really can't imagine it being a scenario where Disney would feel obligated to give out a free park ticket over it.

Personally, I certainly wouldn't consider Batuu or anything there a major part of what you're paying for. I actually think the fact that you spend almost 5 hours there is one of the main reasons it seems so tremendously overpriced (even if the Starcruiser itself looked more impressive than it does). You can do all of that with a regular park admission; it feels like there should be more unique activities on the Starcruiser to fill up that time rather than something any Disney guest can do.
If they don't even give out a free park ticket if guests on the Starcruiser are ferried over to Batuu only to be told they can't ride the main attraction then Disney is insane.

We're talking about small groups of people who have just paid huge premiums for a Disney experience and offering them a free day in a park of their choice costs Disney nothing. If they all claimed on the same day at DHS, it wouldn't make a dent in DHS' profits for the day.

Then again, they did just send people off with plastic bags after their lightsaber experience...

dreamfinder912

Smart of Disney to rely on the 0.87% of the population that knows what any of this means to occupy their “starcruiser” for the next 10 years!
Oh I don't think they're relying on us or intended to get us. I think we're just the ones willing to show up based on concept and concept art. I hesitate to believe any of this was intentionally geared toward me, I'm the dreaded childfree millennial. They make nothing for us :hilarious:

It's interesting to read your take on this as an actual customer, and thanks for sharing! I must confess to not knowing much about LARPing and not being a diehard Star Wars fan. So I have to ask you this...

Is the concerns of non-fans like myself about the generic looking aesthetic of the ship, especially the bridge, of concern to you? Are we off base about fussing over that aesthetic? Is this a case of non-fans like me not really getting it?

It sounds like you are genuinely excited about the Galactic Starcruiser and it's LARP aspect, which again I'm afraid I don't know much about. How worried are you that the ship looks not very Star Warsy? (not a word) Are folks like me off-base for focusing on that aesthetic vibe when it's really the LARP aspect that generates excitement?
I think everyone's entitled to their opinion of a new thing at Disney, it's a company/resort we all obviously care about. But most of what I have liked about Disney lately has been things people complained about (especially my beloved Rivers of Light) so I haven't really left room for the complaints of others for something I enjoy. (or in this case, plan to enjoy) I can already go hop on the Millennium Falcon if I want that type of movie specific detail. All I'm looking for here is something we can use as a backdrop for our own stories. I don't have nor particularly like kids so if the bridge bit turns out to be more kid oriented I can just wander off somewhere else. Our date at least is pretty bent on having a good time no matter what, so I'm sure we will.

Is your LL access scheduled or anytime? Also assume it's only RotR and SR included, nothing outside GE? Did they mention what time the shuttle begins? I know FAQ page says it only runs until 4pm.
We don't have our itineraries yet, but I believe it's just a linked freebie for when we're there. Sort of like the recovery ones during the day. And I don't have the exact start time for the shuttle but I imagine before 9am or close to it judging by the sample they've put out.

Fido Chuckwagon

Have there been any sighting at all of the 'shuttle' vehicle? Presumably they've been playing with it out of sight.. but it seems a little late in the game for us not to have any hints of the fleet / capacity / exterior treatment… or even spied backstage on an aerial by now. I mean, if test cruises are truly imminent, shouldn’t they be cycling these things and be deep into test and adjust?

They are pushing the exterior ‘spaceport’ construction over at the park pretty down to the wire.
Could just be refurbished Disney buses with some new paint and blacked out windows.

Fido Chuckwagon

Oh I don't think they're relying on us or intended to get us. I think we're just the ones willing to show up based on concept and concept art. I hesitate to believe any of this was intentionally geared toward me, I'm the dreaded childfree millennial. They make nothing for us :hilarious:

I think everyone's entitled to their opinion of a new thing at Disney, it's a company/resort we all obviously care about. But most of what I have liked about Disney lately has been things people complained about (especially my beloved Rivers of Light) so I haven't really left room for the complaints of others for something I enjoy. (or in this case, plan to enjoy) I can already go hop on the Millennium Falcon if I want that type of movie specific detail. All I'm looking for here is something we can use as a backdrop for our own stories. I don't have nor particularly like kids so if the bridge bit turns out to be more kid oriented I can just wander off somewhere else. Our date at least is pretty bent on having a good time no matter what, so I'm sure we will.

We don't have our itineraries yet, but I believe it's just a linked freebie for when we're there. Sort of like the recovery ones during the day. And I don't have the exact start time for the shuttle but I imagine before 9am or close to it judging by the sample they've put out.
The problem is that the Venn Diagram of the demographic who likes Renaissance Fairs (and I include myself in that) and people who are willing and able to shell out $6,000 plus tax on this is vanishingly small. When I take my kids ot the Renaissance Fair it’s like $25 per adult, $15 per kid….

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The problem is that the Venn Diagram of the demographic who likes Renaissance Fairs (and I include myself in that) and people who are willing and able to shell out $6,000 plus tax on this is vanishingly small. When I take my kids ot the Renaissance Fair it’s like $25 per adult, $15 per kid….

Indeed, I'd jump on this... for half the price.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Really?

The hot star (or B-list celebrity) of the day pretending to have a non-rehearsed dialog with some Disney CM telling awkward jokes and then cutaway to a magical scenario of them enjoying some aspect of the parks? You really don't remember them?

How about this...

The "Walt Disney World Minute" series is especially cringey....

And Josh Gad made it very clear he wasn't happy having to do it and was making fun of Disney parks. Tho, it's hilarious he did so. And he answered one of the questions so hilariously out of left field, that the interviewer was momentarily silenced.

But no, this Starcruiser video was not at all part of Disney's cringey guest star series. Wait, there's Danny Kaye about to begin a dream sequence.....

GimpYancIent

Me, Myself and I hope you get to record / document your experience and definitely looking forward to see / hearing your review.

SWGalaxys_Edge

If they don't even give out a free park ticket if guests on the Starcruiser are ferried over to Batuu only to be told they can't ride the main attraction then Disney is insane.

We're talking about small groups of people who have just paid huge premiums for a Disney experience and offering them a free day in a park of their choice costs Disney nothing. If they all claimed on the same day at DHS, it wouldn't make a dent in DHS' profits for the day.

Then again, they did just send people off with plastic bags after their lightsaber experience...
Starcruiser guests are guaranteed to get on both rides. HOWEVER - Disney can not control if something breaks while they are visiting. There is no secret version of the rides just for Starcruiser guests, that won't break down. At some point, people have to actually use their brains and use some logic.

SWGalaxys_Edge

Could just be refurbished Disney buses with some new paint and blacked out windows.
screens for windows.
bus-02.png

SWGalaxys_Edge

..then you are not their customer and have no need to complain about something you have no plans to visit.

kingdead

For those asking, I'm in a March "sailing" and we've set up our "excursion" plans. From the sounds of it, what we do/see/interact with on Batuu effects our overall story to the point that I'm hiking into DHS to play in that Disney play app in a few weeks to fix my alignments in there before our trip. (You get alignments based on missions completed for different sides, and oh boy do I need to balance mine out for the character I'm going as) We don't have the exact times for departing the starcruiser yet but we do have our savi's/oga's reservations. Ours are at 10am and 1pm but we had 9am-3pm available as a window. We do have lightning lane access for each attraction, once. But as others have pointed out, there's only a few hundred people per "sailing" so even if every single one of us bum rushed the same attraction you really wouldn't notice. Well, you'd notice the herd of cosplayers, but not a significant increase in wait times.

Good for you! So you've gotten together with the other attendees--are you making your own storyline together? (Also, you have to pregame on the app to get the storyline you want? So there's homework?)

EPCOT-O.G.

I'm legitimately torn on this. On the one hand, I really wish for this to be the experience hoping it to be. I am heartened by your excitement for this., sincerely.

On the other hand, I am very dismayed at the outrageous costs TWDC is expecting of its guests. It's clear they are moving more and more towards becoming a luxury experience, to the point where they are excluding all but the upper middle class (as a starting point!) from getting the full experience. As a lifelong Star Wars fan, I've found many of Disney's decisions baffling, to include this one. As TP2000 and others have intimated, it seems like a project done by someone with vague passing familiarity of Star Wars would envision an experience looking like.

Cesar R M

So eager to take a turn at bat to pile on that you make unforced errors and wind up posting foolishness.

The occupants of the starcruiser can only show up one busload at a time. Even if it's one of those double long buses, that's only 100 people at a time arriving at Batuu from the starcruiser at a rate of maybe every 20 minutes (to allow for the bus's round trip).

The two rides in Batuu each have a capacity of about 1,700 people per hour. Let's even lowball it and say that practically it's only 1,000 PPH.

So, if 100 elite guests get into the Lightning Lane and hold up the regular line, how long will that back up last? Six minutes for the 100 of them. And the next busload isn't showing up for another 14 minutes.

And that's assuming they all make a beeline to just one ride and don't meander or split themselves up between the rides.

The four busloads of guests will barely be a blip in the line for the rides.
I think the only line that will skyrocket will be the standard waiting line queue. That if we include the already increasing LL service.

It's not just you. I think almost everyone got those vibes from the promotional stuff they released last month.

I can't put my finger on it either. I'm only a very casual fan of both Star Wars and Star Trek; I enjoy both, have watched a few of the movies or TV shows over the decades, but I don't have Darth Vader statues on display in my china cabinet. :D

There's just something off about the entire Galactic Starcruiser aesthetics and vibe, from what we've seen so far. It's generic and bland. None of it reads as Star Wars, even to casual fans. It's like a weird 1980's knock-off of some low budget Sci Fi movie or TV show no one remembers. You just sense that it's wrong.

You have to give them credit, they really did miss the mark on that so much that even people casually unknowledgeable about Star Wars can instantly identify it as somehow inaccurate. o_O
Makes you wonder.. what if this is on purpose to make fans forget about what star wars is and are just trying to snatch the RICH sort of scifi fans (not the die hard ones who understands all the errors by Disney)

Being "there" but not delivering the "that". Like filling a niche without going full in in nerdyness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom