Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

James Alucobond

So in non computer talk: they made pasta, but then decided to add sauce, parmesan cheese, onions, etc. Someone decides they don't like onions, but chives is okay. With each addition it becomes harder to undo, and the simpler solution is to make new pasta?
To play off your metaphor, it's more that the noodles or other pre-made ingredients you normally use for your dish are now physically altered in some way (perhaps because the manufacturer changed the formulation), making replication of the recipe very difficult because the component parts you're used to leveraging to get things to taste right simply aren't what they used to be.

If it's a matter of too many things being added over time, they can always revert back to a previous fork, as @lazyboy97o said. I'm still of the mind that the situation @mikejs78 describes is unlikely, though. It would be really, really bad practice.

Last edited:

disneygeek90

I would love to know what convinced Disney to replace FP+ with the current system, and what those who made and approved the decision now think about it.
Mr Krabs Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

TikibirdLand

Where is the insult in his quote?

He is voicing an opinion that people are overstating the levels of stress involved in using an app. He is coordinating this to basic life decisions people make everyday. Are their some eggshell people that may honestly feel deciding on which Genie plus ride they want is too stressful? Sure, maybe. But that is more their subjective issues rather than objective complexity with the decisions you make at a theme park, or any consequences that come out of those decisions. In either case there was no insult I could see, just a difference of opinion on stress levels from park decisions
The the bolded text I replied to for reference. Earlier in this thread, Chi84 stated:
You can break it up into 50 component parts if you like, but you're still talking about juggling a dinner reservation and three fastpases. Heck, my brother-in-law managed and he's an idiot.
Both imply those that had to plan using FP+ are idiots.

lazyboy97o

In the short term, perhaps, but I’m sure they don’t want to deal with mounting complaints and dissatisfaction in the long term.

They would have done better to keep FP+ and start charging for it.
FastPass+ would have to have the same limited availability leading to the same complaints.

lazyboy97o

More limited than it used to? If so, can you explain why? (I’m not being rhetorical.)
Genie+ is clearly not offering the same amount of reservations as FastPass+ offered. Virtual queue schemes require more instantaneous capacity be available outside the system the more people are making reservations. People need a physical space to occupy between their reservations. It’s the problem Volcano Bay had when it opened. The parks are still not running at full capacity, the rides are open but entertainment is still not available, shops and restaurants are still closed and running at reduced capacity. Offering more availability would just make crowding worse than it is now or was before.

LittleBuford

Genie+ is clearly not offering the same amount of reservations as FastPass+ offered.
Exactly. What I’m saying is that if Disney was intent on monetising their line-skipping system, I would have preferred them to reinstitute FP+ as it used to exist (same number of reservations, same ability to select and change times, etc.) but charge for it. Paying for something I used to enjoy for free would have been annoying, but not as annoying as the new system appears to be.

lazyboy97o

Exactly. What I’m saying is that if Disney was intent on monetising their line-skipping system, I would have preferred them to reinstitute FP+ as it used to exist (same number of reservations, same ability to select and change times, etc.) but charge for it.
Which would run right into the problem of the parks still running reduced operations. They can’t offer the same number of reservations.

James Alucobond

Exactly. What I’m saying is that if Disney was intent on monetising their line-skipping system, I would have preferred them to reinstitute FP+ as it used to exist (same number of reservations, same ability to select and change times, etc.) but charge for it.
He's saying they can't handle the same number of reservations that they used to even if they switch back to FastPass+ because their instantaneous capacity is greatly reduced. The offering would be severely diminished either way. Genie+ is preferable from an ops standpoint at the moment because they can't predict how and when their instantaneous capacity will increase. When will the international program be back? When will certain venues reopen? When will there be enough stock for shuttered stores? No one knows.

EDIT: Me so slow.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You could spend years reading books about stamp collecting, or the art of bird watching. Just because there is interest in a subject, or material written about it, doesn’t mean the choices involved in it are “stressful.” It also doesn’t mean it is all that complex. Sure there are always tips and tricks to try and maximize utilizing any service. But it doesn’t mean that a functional understanding of the basic service and how it works is all that hard, or stressful.

Again, if it's just 3 FPs... How many schemes and iterations can you come up with to support all that content? It's not like someone is saying there are only 3 birds or 3 stamps in the world..

lazyboy97o

You could spend years reading books about stamp collecting, or the art of bird watching. Just because there is interest in a subject, or material written about it, doesn’t mean the choices involved in it are “stressful.” It also doesn’t mean it is all that complex. Sure there are always tips and tricks to try and maximize utilizing any service. But it doesn’t mean that a functional understanding of the basic service and how it works is all that hard, or stressful.
Some first page results searching “stressful” in the now Genie, Genie+ and My Disney Experience forum.

LittleBuford

He's saying they can't handle the same number of reservations that they used to even if they switch back to FastPass+ because their instantaneous capacity is greatly reduced. The offering would be severely diminished either way. Genie+ is preferable from an ops standpoint at the moment because they can't predict how and when their instantaneous capacity will increase. When will the international program be back? When will certain venues reopen? When will there be enough stock for shuttered stores? No one knows.
Yes, I understand now having read his follow-up. I still think a paid version of FP+ would be preferable even with less availability. Some of the limitations of the new system (not being able to change your time without cancelling an existing reservation, for example) sound awful.

James Alucobond

Yes, I understand now having read his follow-up. I still think a paid version of FP+ would be preferable even with less availability. Some of the limitations of the new system (not being able to change your time without cancelling an existing reservation, for example) sound awful.
Even if they have data showing it's preferred by guests, it's not practical right now because they can't project three months into the future. If they overestimate where they'll be in 90 days, they'll have to cancel reservations. If they underestimate and things do progressively get better, they'll still have to handle extra complaints during the initial booking window from folks unable to select decent attractions and likely don't have a fair or effective mechanism for communicating rolling releases of additional pass availability. They also potentially need a lot more staff for guest relations kiosks with FastPass because you're dealing with things Disney promised a long time ago. With Genie, they can react more nimbly to daily conditions, ride maintenance issues, public health concerns, staffing fluctuations, etc.

DisneyHead123

Where is the insult in his quote?

He is voicing an opinion that people are overstating the levels of stress involved in using an app. He is coordinating this to basic life decisions people make everyday. Are their some eggshell people that may honestly feel deciding on which Genie plus ride they want is too stressful? Sure, maybe. But that is more their subjective issues rather than objective complexity with the decisions you make at a theme park, or any consequences that come out of those decisions. In either case there was no insult I could see, just a difference of opinion on stress levels from park decisions
I don’t think it’s that using Genie at all is just too stressful to handle. I think it’s that it increases the chances of not being able to pre plan one’s Picture Perfect Day (TM).

I am a bit neurotic on such topics. I can poke fun at myself but it’s still kinda true, and there is some evidence that it’s true for a growing number of people.

Whether or not it’s insulting to call this fringe levels of snowflake-ness, I dunno. Either way though, just my opinion that Genie will not be as popular for the 45 and under set for this reason. Pre making one’s Instagram worthy experience is a big thing with people in this group who make enough money for Disney. A sad statement on society? Maybe. True? Personally, I think it is. Time will tell though.

LittleBuford

Even if they have data showing it's preferred by guests, it's not practical right now because they can't project three months into the future. If they overestimate where they'll be in 90 days, they'll have to cancel reservations. If they underestimate and things do progressively get better, they'll still have to handle extra complaints during the initial booking window from folks unable to select decent attractions and likely don't have a fair or effective mechanism for communicating rolling releases of additional pass availability. They also potentially need a lot more staff for guest relations kiosks with FastPass because you're dealing with things Disney promised a long time ago. With Genie, they can react more nimbly to daily conditions, ride maintenance issues, public health concerns, staffing fluctuations, etc.
In that case, I think a paid day-of version of FP+ (essentially MaxPass) would be the better option until things return to normal.

LittleBuford

Genie+ is essentially MaxPass.
Yes, you’re right. I chose my words badly. I meant a system that works the same way as MaxPass in terms of when you can make your selections (on the same day once you enter the parks) but that offers the same functionality as FP+ (the ability to select and change times).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom