Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopemax

I'm assuming you aren't talking about actual posters here.

I gave quite a few examples of new/innovative ways hospitals are adapting and the traditional hospital inpatient setting is changing rapidly. It's already happening, just needs to be bigger. CMS is definitely a roadblock on what they will/won't pay for as far as what they deem "new" services, but some of it's changing and there are already initiatives on the table from the AMA and others.

This may not help the current situation, no, but keeping people out of the hospital or finding new ways to treat in non-traditional settings will certainly help with the issue of overloading hospitals if/when a different pandemic hits. Now people who would normally be admitted for observation (telemetry, pulse ox- etc.) - we actually have the technology available to monitor these patients from home, saving hospital beds! It's already in practice some places, need to work on expanding it.

Keeping people healthier through preventive medicine - especially our aging population, making it easier to see a provider, giving more people more access to healthcare NOW will keep them out of the hospital with chronic health conditions so there is more room for a new infectious disease or those with illness that require hospitalization. Frees up resources. Obviously it's only one part of the picture, but I think an important one. And (thanks in part to pandemic) it's starting to happen. :)
None of that is free and I don’ t disagree with the need for any of it but that’s not enough. Whether I am talking about posters here or not comes down to when they are handed the bill either through insurance premiums and taxes they fight against it or not. Elect representation that will fight it or not. Support community initiatives that are in support for it or not. Make purchasing decisions based on corporations fighting for or against these type of initiatives or not. Finger point at those that do some percentage of the time but not all the time, as justification for why they don’t have to do it even once.

There are a lot of sacred cows at stake here (including I realized the other day since a lot of this Covid research depends on evolutionary biology and evolution is one of those red button things) and personal financial interests when many people already feel squeezed… so, yes, I do question the commitment and follow through by society at large. Rubber has finally met road instead of 40 years of ideology and theoreticals and I don’t think things are looking so good for positive change. In some places, perhaps but not everywhere that needs it.

dreday3

None of that is free and I don’ t disagree with the need for any of it but that’s not enough. Whether I am talking about posters here or not comes down to when they are handed the bill either through insurance premiums and taxes they fight against it or not. Elect representation that will fight it or not. Support community initiatives that are in support for it or not. Make purchasing decisions based on corporations fighting for or against these type of initiatives or not. Finger point at those that do some percentage of the time but not all the time, as justification for why they don’t have to do it even once.

There are a lot of sacred cows at stake here (including I realized the other day since a lot of this Covid research depends on evolutionary biology and evolution is one of those red button things) and personal financial interests when many people already feel squeezed… so, yes, I do question the commitment and follow through by society at large. Rubber has finally met road instead of 40 years of ideology and theoreticals and I don’t think things are looking so good for positive change. In some places, perhaps but not everywhere that needs it.

Of course it's not enough, but it's part. And yep, huge obstacles in the way.

My entire point when I started posting about this was that all of it (building hospitals, improving care, innovative care, recruiting/retaining staff, changing policies, etc.) was something we (big "we") should be talking about now, for the future.
And then my post was dismissed because I was told no, instead we should be focusing on vaccinations and what we can do right now (in a nutshell). And then I got annoyed. :)

We can do both - work on the present and the future. We have to do both or we haven't learned anything at all from this current pandemic.

Last edited:

hopemax

My entire point when I started posting about this was that all of it (building hospitals, improving care, innovative care, recruiting/retaining staff, changing policies, etc.) was something we (big "we") should be talking about now, for the future.
And then my post was dismissed because I was told no, instead we should be focusing on vaccinations and what we can do right now. And then I got annoyed. :)

We can do both - work on the present and the future. We have to do both or we haven't learned anything at all from this current pandemic.
I think their point is when a person is in the middle of a heartache focusing on post-discharge health and diet changes is not that helpful. Got to get the person into surgery and hope they make it out alive. Someone in the hospital is responsible for organizing the discharge plan and should be doing their thing in parallel, but that’s not the voice that should be leading what happens in the next few hours.

So they are probably feeling the same annoyance over what feels like your dismissal about their point.

dreday3

I think their point is when a person is in the middle of a heartache focusing on post-discharge health and diet changes is not that helpful. Got to get the person into surgery and hope they make it out alive. Someone in the hospital is responsible for organizing the discharge plan and should be doing their thing in parallel, but that’s not the voice that should be leading what happens in the next few hours.

So they are probably feeling the same annoyance over what feels like your dismissal about their point.

Wow. That's not what the posts were discussing at all, maybe you should go back and see where/how this discussion started? Or maybe I will because if that's what was being discussed, I completely missed it.

That is not at all what I was discussing in regards to preventive care and innovative healthcare. I'm talking about the future of delivery of healthcare and how it can help for next pandemic. Please, take time and read some of the articles I posted. And I've already stated that it probably won't help what's happening right now, but will later.

I feel like you just want to argue with me and I can't exactly figure out why. I'll leave you to it because this is getting nowhere fast.

I'm very involved at my hospital system in up and coming new models of healthcare delivery. Also involved in community outreach for the hospital system. It's exciting, the possibilities of what can happen in the future and it's going to benefit everyone!

Last edited:

hopemax

Wow. That's not what the posts were discussing at all, maybe you should go back and see where/how this discussion started?

That is not at all what I was discussing in regards to preventive care and innovative healthcare. I'm talking about the future of healthcare and how it can help for next pandemic.

I feel like you just want to argue with me and I can't exactly figure out why.
It’s an analogy. You are saying we need to do something that won’t have an immediate effect but hopefully an effect in the future. Analogous to the advice doctors offer to people who have new health issues like a heart attack.

I am not arguing. I was pointing out that one side is likely feeling the same things you were about the course of the discussion. Another analogy.

We have had these miscommunications before so I am done. Because I feel like you are going to be thinking I am literally talking about heart attacks and not COVID.

dreday3

It’s an analogy. You are saying we need to do something that won’t have an immediate effect but hopefully an effect in the future. Analogous to the advice doctors offer to people who have new health issues like a heart attack.

I am not arguing. I was pointing out that one side is likely feeling the same things you were about the course of the discussion. Another analogy.

We have had these miscommunications before so I am done. Because I feel like you are going to be thinking I am literally talking about heart attacks and not COVID.

I don't remember prior discussions, but yeah I agree, we should be done because I'm completely confused (or I'm just plain dumb like your post is alluding to, maybe I am?) because I don't feel like I was picking a "side". Oh well! 😂

I'm done with the whole darn thing! ;)

Sorry for the detour all - back to the topic at hand.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Wow. That's not what the posts were discussing at all, maybe you should go back and see where/how this discussion started? Or maybe I will because if that's what was being discussed, I completely missed it.

That is not at all what I was discussing in regards to preventive care and innovative healthcare. I'm talking about the future of delivery of healthcare and how it can help for next pandemic. Please, take time and read some of the articles I posted. And I've already stated that it probably won't help what's happening right now, but will later.

I feel like you just want to argue with me and I can't exactly figure out why. I'll leave you to it because this is getting nowhere fast.

I'm very involved at my hospital system in up and coming new models of healthcare delivery. Also involved in community outreach for the hospital system. It's exciting, the possibilities of what can happen in the future and it's going to benefit everyone!
If I reacted a bit curtly, my apologies. We've just seen too many posts that have gone something like "What about heart attacks/cancer/diabetes?" or, "Nobody would die if they weren't fat", given as justifications for not doing anything to fight the major health crisis we're facing NOW with COVID, particularly if those measures might involve an immediate inconvenience to them.

And as a physician, let me say that we talk about preventative medicine, health care capacity and access issues on a daily basis, but society largely has decided "No, we're not doing those things, because we can't be expected to do the more difficult but right thing anymore in the US".

dreday3

If I reacted a bit curtly, my apologies. We've just seen too many posts that have gone something like "What about heart attacks/cancer/diabetes?" or, "Nobody would die if they weren't fat", given as justifications for not doing anything to fight the major health crisis we're facing NOW with COVID, particularly if those measures might involve an immediate inconvenience to them.

And as a physician, let me say that we talk about preventative medicine, health care capacity and access issues on a daily basis, but society largely has decided "No, we're not doing those things, because we can't be expected to do the more difficult but right thing anymore in the US".

Thank you for this, I really appreciate it!

(Edited to delete rest of text because I was way too verbose and none of it would matter anyways . 😂)

Last edited:

Lilofan

Denial can be deadly even so in the medical industry. A family member of mine sees his cardiologist 1x a year for check ups. Recently he saw him, he remarked the doctor must have gained at least 50 lbs.

Patcheslee

I'm assuming you aren't talking about actual posters here.

I gave quite a few examples of new/innovative ways hospitals are adapting and the traditional hospital inpatient setting is changing rapidly. It's already happening, just needs to be bigger. CMS is definitely a roadblock on what they will/won't pay for as far as what they deem "new" services, but some of it's changing and there are already initiatives on the table from the AMA and others.

This may not help the current situation, no, but keeping people out of the hospital or finding new ways to treat in non-traditional settings will certainly help with the issue of overloading hospitals if/when a different pandemic hits. Now people who would normally be admitted for observation (telemetry, pulse ox- etc.) - we actually have the technology available to monitor these patients from home, saving hospital beds! It's already in practice some places, need to work on expanding it.

Keeping people healthier through preventive medicine - especially our aging population, making it easier to see a provider, giving more people more access to healthcare NOW will keep them out of the hospital with chronic health conditions so there is more room for a new infectious disease or those with illness that require hospitalization. Frees up resources. Obviously it's only one part of the picture, but I think an important one. And (thanks in part to pandemic) it's starting to happen. :)
I'll say I appreciate the changes doctors offices had, I like just hanging out in my car until time to go in a room. Or the doctor comes out if need be. The hospital designated parking garage floor entry levels for intake based on medical issue. Instead of everyone showing up at the ER to check in. They worked out better technology/communications for test ordered from family doctors, so by the time you get to the hospital they already have a time scheduled and intake completed instead of showing up and waiting for what the doctor wants done.

Diamond Dot

I'm a bit concerned as I read that Biden is wanting anyone entering the US to have a Covid test the day before, this is for all, including Americans. This is a bit difficult for people like me who the day before they fly to the US have to drive up to the airport, I could start off in the early hours of the day of the flight, like 2am in the morning, but, for safety and to be sure I get to the airport for my flight I prefer to do the drive up the day before and stay in a hotel. So how do I get a test and get the result the day before I fly out. I just hope they can do it at Heathrow and that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, or I'll just cancel the trip as it's starting to be too much hassle, why can't it be two or three days out? Especially as we have to take a test on the second day of our trip as well.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here is the weekly report from the Florida DOH. The number of new deaths reported from the last report to this report is 153.

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 5.30.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 5.30.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 5.30.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 5.30.35 PM.png

Data for Orange County -

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 5.30.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 5.31.00 PM.png

JoeCamel

lazyboy97o

And then my post was dismissed because I was told no, instead we should be focusing on vaccinations and what we can do right now (in a nutshell). And then I got annoyed. :)

Not dismissed, but not really believed. You keep pushing what healthcare should do which means you are telling others to pull the rope harder. Which isn’t really different than what is happening right now, we’ll do everything the same as we want and those in healthcare just have to deal with persistently being overwhelmed.

You don’t seem to want to discuss how to stop people from getting sick in the first place, which includes a whole host of options who don’t like, and instead want to let people get sick and just deal with that surge. Any serious plan is going to keep shutdowns on the table and push for them to be much more seriously enforced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom