News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I don’t know, at least in this case. Is 105 seconds of D’Amaro doing ‘obvious PR is obvious’ enough to make that call? I have easy frame of reference for most everything at Disney. You name the thing, I’ve probably done it at some point. But I’ve never participated in something theoretically this immersive. I think there’s still a chance for some magic, or I wouldn’t keep going back, and it’s why I willing to still consider this, pending more information. Time will obviously tell.
This is what D'Amaro's clip brought to my mind...

main-qimg-d1c2fc8c5cfc96940d16b5930707bd27

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
The five-year-old is going to want to yank the hyperdrive lever. All the five-year-olds will. And a lot of older and younger guests. And if they don't they will be disappointed. Which is one of the difficulties with LARPing on this scale and with this diverse range of ages.
They solved that issue in MFSR by putting people in various roles. Engineers and gunners don't get to pull the hyperdrive lever.

Incomudro

The bridge is a venue for a role-playing event. It is not a "everyone takes a turn randomly jumping the ship into hyperdrive" arcade game. It is dressing to the story that is unfolding.

In any other LARP, the gamemaster would announce that hyperdrive has been engaged. And if they're big into props, might shine a spotlight onto a mirrored ball for 'the effect.'

And if someone told the gamemaster they wanted to just randomly activate the hyperdrive, they'd be told that a bridge attendant intercepted them and scolded them for being so reckless, or, that nothing happened because the hyperdrive needed to recharge.

On the Halcyon... you don't need a mirrored ball. And there will be in-game reasons why the five year old won't be able to yank a starcruiser in and out of hyperdrive every two seconds.

Honestly, I don't know why people are devising the most absurd 'possibilities' and then criticizing the event for allowing the stuff they just made up in their head.

You seem to be one of the few people that gets it.

rreading

The five-year-old is going to want to yank the hyperdrive lever. All the five-year-olds will. And a lot of older and younger guests. And if they don't they will be disappointed. Which is one of the difficulties with LARPing on this scale and with this diverse range of ages.
I would think this would be more of a concern were there not another ship we've been sending into hyperdrive over the last few years. Once you've had a chance to pull the lever once, I should think that (for most) it becomes less necessary. Separately, on MFSR I recall the ship reacting to going into hyperdrive (you feel it); I don't expect the Halcyon to budge when we go into hyperdrive. Thus it should be less exciting as an isolated activity (which is why we're so unimpressed by the video: "oh boy - he gets to pull the lever!")

Cesar R M

you must be a new Star Wars fan. ;-) SW Fans will find ANYTHING to be upset about. Since the dawn of Star Wars time...
Sounds like every fangroup and its "hardcore fanboys".
The TMNT fandom for example, has been a dumpster fire lately.
Create new series with fresh ideas "we dont like this, rerun X series!"
The same X series they were complaining because it was running stagnant and viewership tanked.
Then they announce a new series back to the "basics".
Fans complain "why are they rehashing this again? where is the new stuff, we want something fresh!" XD

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You seem to be one of the few people that gets it.
Thanks.

As I've mentioned before, I've participated and helped run large scale LARPs. The issues people are bringing up are trivial to respond to. To resolve conflicts like who gets to pull the hyperdrive lever (and that is actually the least interesting thing to do since its two-and-done, while the gunners are constantly active), you have people do rock-paper-scissors for it (but use Star Wars stand-ins for rps).

You can have the captain put the bridge in practice mode (which it will actually start in) in which buttons and levers really don't do anything, and have the kids take turn pulling the lever (which does nothing), but, they did it and they can make their own sound effects.

JoeCamel

Thanks.

As I've mentioned before, I've participated and helped run large scale LARPs. The issues people are bringing up are trivial to respond to. To resolve conflicts like who gets to pull the hyperdrive lever (and that is actually the least interesting thing to do since its two-and-done, while the gunners are constantly active), you have people do rock-paper-scissors for it (but use Star Wars stand-ins for rps).

You can have the captain put the bridge in practice mode (which it will actually start in) in which buttons and levers really don't do anything, and have the kids take turn pulling the lever (which does nothing), but, they did it and they can make their own sound effects.
chewie, R2 and Darth?

jinx8402

I’ll be down. So long as I get to wear that stylin’ bowl on the top of my head ;)
That is what I was thinking of when I said they should have just gone the VR way. They could have styled the vr headset to look like that (or the helmet used by Luke in ANH). Then, they wouldn't have to worry about the laser blast coming from a fixed point, because in VR it could come from anywhere. The lightsaber itself would just need to be the hilt with some sensors to track and provide rumble feedback.

The VR wouldn't even need to be highly detailed, since it is supposed to make you "blind" to attune with the force. They could do something like an adult/hard mode that it's basically black with a vague glimpse of where the blast is coming from, and as you do better it becomes more in focus and for a longer period of time, simulating that you are getting better with the force. Kid mode they could just make it so it's on the "final level" from the beginning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom