Shop Parks app retiring

Gillyanne

Original Poster
When I opened the shop parks app today, it said it's "retiring" on 31 May, and is directing people to he regular Shop Disney app.

I wonder what this means for all the stuff that was at least available in the parks app, but not she store app (like 30+ Figment things in parks vs. 11 in store)

I also wonder what this means for AP discounts and such. I liked using the parks app b/c you could get your discount still but get your hands on some stuff if you weren't near the parks (including that it worked on MB but other discounts on the store app don't include MB)

When I searched some things today, I also noticed that the Shop Parks app seems to be including merch that is long sold out or discontinued like old F&W/F&G merch, the old Figment plushes (hey Figment is the first thing I search every time I go in there) and old Americana stuff.

Given it's been a crap shoot lately with not including new merchandise, everything being "in store only" etc

shopparks.png

Last edited:

Janir

I liekd the shop parks app for finding some stuff that seemed to only be in parks and not online or stores. It could be they are just revamping the shop app/store to include everything the shop parks did, which would make some more sense to me.

Gillyanne

Original Poster
It could be they are just revamping the shop app/store to include everything the shop parks did, which would make some more sense to me.

(sorry if this double posts but I typed it and it disappeared on me)

I really hope so. Right now the store app only has the same ol' same ol' (aka Less stuff) in the parks department. The blurb above also mentions using MDE for checking stock at parks, but not sure if it'll have any in app purchase options. I can't check it right now as my phone is dead. Also unsure if it'll require GPS to put you near the parks or will work outside the area (I really hope the latter b/c sometimes I'm looking from home) and directing family to the right store ;))

yedliW

I never used the shop parks app much, but when I did browse the selection, most of the stuff was still listed as 'park only'. Kind of defeates the purpose of the app if you couldn't buy anything on it..

HouCuseChickie

I liked that the Shop Parks app gave you access to some of the merch that wasn't available on the standard website, but mine was glitchy from the start and Disney could never fix it. It was to the point that I couldn't make purchases on it...so maybe there were other issues...although, I suspect it probably became more trouble to them than it was worth.

mousehockey37

The shop parks app was nice... you could actually get things at home from in the parks at the start... then, I'm guessing as popularity grew, Disney saw a change in shopping that people who weren't on vacation buying things that were "park authentic". So, then they changed the rules. They started making it that it was on the site, but an "in store only" buy. Also, anything that was still remaining that was available for purchase came from the Emporium or Mousegear. So Disney really cut back on it. So I'm guessing that this is the last step to fully incorporate it so that you actually have to be there in the parks to use it.

Mickey5150

Best thing about the shop park apps was if we saw something in a store we wanted but weren't entirely sure we could scan the upc and find out where else it was stocked. Made it easier if I found something I wanted in the Emporium but wasn't going back to the MK. Sweet, it's a Mouse Gears and I'll be in Epcot the next day.

disneygeek90

Apologies for the bump, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how the current WDW app displays item availability in the parks themselves after clicking on “shop merchandise.” Does this feature even exist anymore?

JaxFLBear

Apologies for the bump, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how the current WDW app displays item availability in the parks themselves after clicking on “shop merchandise.” Does this feature even exist anymore?
"Shop Merchandise" should take you to shopDisney.com.

They are testing an "Shop in Store" feature which allows you to scan and pay for merchandise in select stores at WDW.

disneygeek90

Forgive my ignorance here but I thought that was the Shop Park app.
I’ve tried the shop in store feature and it’s fine but what I’m really looking for is the old Shop Parks option to select an item and then it would tell you where in each park or resorts carried the item in stock. It’s a shame that doesn’t seem to exist anymore.

G00fyDad

I’ve tried the shop in store feature and it’s fine but what I’m really looking for is the old Shop Parks option to select an item and then it would tell you where in each park or resorts carried the item in stock. It’s a shame that doesn’t seem to exist anymore.

Ahh. I understand now. :)

Gillyanne

Original Poster

Yeah I think that's long gone too. I usually just ask a cast member if it's something I'm really trying to hunt down, they can usually look it up in their PDA (esp if you have the sku), but even then the counts may not be up to date (like I'd steer towards the shops that had a higher count, than the one that showed 3 or something)

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
Yeah I think that's long gone too. I usually just ask a cast member if it's something I'm really trying to hunt down, they can usually look it up in their PDA (esp if you have the sku), but even then the counts may not be up to date (like I'd steer towards the shops that had a higher count, than the one that showed 3 or something)
My wife wears a larger size and it can be a challenge to find certain items. We often seek out a cast member at the Emporium or elsewhere to try to identify where certain items in certain sizes are as well. It isn’t a perfect system as they can’t hold it for you while you travel to another park but it’s been pretty successful for her.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom