DashHaber's Imagineering Toybox

Twilight_Roxas

I would suggest Leave Those Kids Alone, and Which Witch as well kinda like how American Horror Story’s maze started with season 1, but it’s your maze concept.

Last edited:

DashHaber

Original Poster
I've been doing some thinking about a version of the Haunted Mansion for Adventureland. Before I post more of a write-up, though, I thought I'd air out some thoughts about the potential plot of the ride and see what opinions folks may have. First, a little basic info. My plan is to call it Plunder Manor. The idea is that this is a decrepit mansion built by Sir Anthony Plunder, an unscrupulous explorer who built this mansion out in the jungle as a place to hold all his ill-gotten gains and hold lavish parties. Now, I had two particular thoughts I was considering with this.

One is that the Ghost Host equivalent for this ride could be a guardian spirit. Perhaps one piece of treasure that Sir Plunder had stolen was cursed, protected by a guardian spirit who would torment any that would steal the treasure. As a result, Sir Plunder was driven mad and driven into an early death. Now, other treasure hunters have tried to get their hands on Sir Plunder's legendary treasure horde over the years, only to join the ghostly horde now trapped in the mansion's halls as a result of the curse.

The other idea was to take a bit of a page from Phantom Manor and have Sir Plunder as our Ghost Host. Though his own paranoia about others stealing from him drove him mad and into an early grave, his greed was strong enough to outlast death. Now, he haunts the halls of his former manor, desperate to protect it from anyone who would dare to claim it.

What do folks think?

Last edited:

DashHaber

Original Poster
So, I did some thinking and I think I'll go with that guardian spirit. It would add a bit of a different flavor to help Plunder Manor stand out a bit more in terms of Haunted Mansion variations.

Anyway, the remarks about Just Beyond did get me thinking about Halloween events, and personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Disney giving a try at an event featuring some scare mazes. However, I don't see it being as scary as the competitors. Let's face it, events such as Halloween Horror Nights basically have the market corner on being terrifying. However, a Halloween event that offers scare mazes geared towards kids or younger teens would be something far more unique. Disney could cover that particular niche well, given the fact that there have been spooky moments turning up all through the history of Disney. Maybe even call it Jack Skellington's Nights of Frights.

So, there are some things I do see there. For one, no scareactors. Scareactors might be a little too intense for the kids, so instead go with cut-outs, statues, or even very basic animatronics in certain cases for showcasing characters. Play more with atmosphere to give a chill, and use some effects for mild scares. Also, I'd avoid using the more adult horror stuff that Disney has acquired (so no stuff like Alien or The Fly (the 1986 film), which would make for a better fit at HHN). As I said, there's plenty of spooky things that Disney has featured in their work over the years that could inspire houses, such as:

• The "Pink Elephants on Parade" sequence from Dumbo
  • The "Night on Bald Mountain" sequence from Fantasia
  • The Nightmare Before Christmas
  • The "Friends on the Other Side" sequence from The Princess and the Frog
  • The Mad Doctor
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
  • Gravity Falls

Last edited:

Twilight_Roxas

Interesting. On Twitter Disney+ has this comic book style covers of the episodes that could be used as a transition between episodes similar to how Universal’s HHN did Creepshow. Since Just Beyond originated as a graphic novel series.

spacemt354

Chili's
I've been doing some thinking about a version of the Haunted Mansion for Adventureland. Before I post more of a write-up, though, I thought I'd air out some thoughts about the potential plot of the ride and see what opinions folks may have. First, a little basic info. My plan is to call it Plunder Manor. The idea is that this is a decrepit mansion built by Sir Anthony Plunder, an unscrupulous explorer who built this mansion out in the jungle as a place to hold all his ill-gotten gains and hold lavish parties. Now, I had two particular thoughts I was considering with this.

One is that the Ghost Host equivalent for this ride could be a guardian spirit. Perhaps one piece of treasure that Sir Plunder had stolen was cursed, protected by a guardian spirit who would torment any that would steal the treasure. As a result, Sir Plunder was driven mad and driven into an early death. Now, other treasure hunters have tried to get their hands on Sir Plunder's legendary treasure horde over the years, only to join the ghostly horde now trapped in the mansion's halls as a result of the curse.

The other idea was to take a bit of a page from Phantom Manor and have Sir Plunder as our Ghost Host. Though his own paranoia about others stealing from him drove him mad and into an early grave, his greed was strong enough to outlast death. Now, he haunts the halls of his former manor, desperate to protect it from anyone who would dare to claim it.

What do folks think?
An Adventureland Haunted Mansion is such an intriguing concept - would really love to see this fleshed out!

DashHaber

Original Poster
An Adventureland Haunted Mansion is such an intriguing concept - would really love to see this fleshed out!
Thank you, and I do intend to flesh it out! I've always found it interesting how The Haunted Mansion has turned up in a different land in each Disneyland park, and Adventureland feels like one of the likeliest next spots to have it.

DashHaber

Original Poster
Okay, this is probably the longest write-up I've done in a single post for this thread, but there's just so much you want to try and convey with a Haunted Mansion attraction.

Plunder Manor
(Omnimover dark ride)
Within these foreboding grounds sits the old manor of Sir Anthony Plunder, an unscrupulous adventurer who stole treasure until a cursed jewel brought his life to a bitter end. As you wander through its darkened halls, will you find your way out or will you fall prey to the curse that holds sway over this estate?

Looming big and foreboding among the jungle atmosphere is a large Victorian mansion, crumbling now with vines overtaking its exterior walls. This is Plunder Manor, and guests enter the queue through an impromptu gate that is falling apart. Weaving through an outdoor queue that takes guests through an overgrown garden, they eventually reach the entrance doors to the building. Walking in, they find themselves in a foyer, which once must have been a luxurious chamber before time took its toll. A portrait of Sir Anthony Plunder (a smug-looking explorer with large mustache and pith helmet) depicting him in a jungle forest hangs upon the wall. A voice welcomes us to Plunder Manor, telling us that this was place built by evil and greed, and that evil still haunts its hall to torment the wicked. As the voice says this, the portrait of Sir Plunder seems to age, his face growing mad with insanity before aging away into a skeleton. Interestingly, a blue spectral figure (the spirit of Val-Koth) seems to appear behind Sir Plunder, holding a gemstone that almost looks like a large cat's-eye. The doors then open to the Stretching Room, home to the ride's main preshow.

Once everyone is inside the Stretching Room, the voice explains that Sir Plunder had this place built as a home to his ill-gotten treasure horde, but that the curse of Kal-Voth fell upon the estate when he took the Sacred Eye. The curse traps and torments all who would dare to seek out that fortune, driving Sir Plunder and others into an early grave. The voice remarks that the curse is upon us, for this room is stretching (even the paintings of explorers have stretched as well to depict morbid scenes, like a gentleman seated against greenery revealed to be up a tree and hunted by a cheetah) and there are no doors or windows. The voice challenges us to escape, but offers to help us the same way as the last person to enter the manor. With that, a lightning flash makes the ceiling translucent to reveal a skeleton hanging from a noose fashioned by a vine. The voice (now implied to be Kal-Voth) lets out a mocking laugh, providing us an exit and challenging us to resist the temptation of greed. Walking through a painting hall depicting various jungle scenes (with lightning flashes revealing a morbid variation), guests eventually reach the loading platform to board their carriages (an Omnimover ride vehicle). Climbing in, they pass by a staircase upon which stands Sir Plunder, dressed in his explorer's wear but baring a look of concern upon his face. We leave his unease behind, as we journey into the darkened halls.

Moving along up a staircase, we take a turn past a broken window where vines have crept in through the shattered glass, leading towards the conservatory. Hunted wildlife hanging on the walls seem to look around and grunt as if they were alive, as a sarcophagus rattles with a bandage-wrapped hand trying to remove the lid. Leaving the room, we pass by an endless hallway, as a more frightened Sir Plunder stands deeper in the hallway with candelabra in hand. Though he and the figure of Val-Koth standing behind him disappear and reappear from view, the candelabra remains in the air. Our carriage heads down a hallway, passing by locked doors whose knockers and handles move by themselves and walls whose wallpaper seem to contain eyes staring at us. We eventually reach an occult chamber, as a crystal ball containing the visage of Kal-Voth floats in the air and beckoning for the spirits of both vile compatriots and betrayed partners to return to Plunder Manor. With that, we pass by and over the ballroom, filled with all sorts of ghosts having a wicked celebration. We also see Sir Plunder standing on a balcony overlooking the scene, clearly panicked at the sight. We leave the ballroom behind as we soon find ourselves in the private chambers of Sir Plunder, passing photographs of him with his associates (who seem to vanish). Soon we find Sir Plunder himself, now clearly mad as he stands next to a hidden doorway that has been opened. He brandishes a machete, cackling as he warns us to stay away from his treasure. Slipping into the hidden passage, we pass the spirit of Val-Koth and begin a backwards descent, as Val-Koth tells us to witness the results of greed.

We emerge into the hidden vault, filled with piles of treasure...and a number of skeletons all around. One of them even appears to be the skeleton of Sir Plunder, its bony hand laid out over the Sacred Eye as if clutching it. Among the treasures is a collection of singing busts on jewel-encrusted platforms, leading a rousing jungle-inflected rendition of "Grim Grinning Ghosts". The song follows us as we leave through a hidden exit, emerging into the jungle grounds. Ghostly explorers of all sorts share and swap in their adventures from life, from a pair of scientists comparing their notes to a big-game hunter taking aim at a portly gentleman balancing a bottle on his head. Eventually, we approach a mausoleum as Val-Koth stands watch over all, warning us to always stay above the siren call of greed. We then enter the mausoleum, passing by a row of mirrors. Facing them, we find that Sir Plunder's ghost has hitched a ride with us, offering a reward to take the Sacred Eye off his hands. With his eerie voice beckoning us to "hurry back", we soon reach the unloading platform and leave our carriages behind.

DashHaber

Original Poster
A while back, I had design Capcom Coast as inspired by an idea I had for a potential IOA island theme during SYWTBAI. Well, another theme that I had was Star Trek, and I've decided to design that land as well.

Starfleet Bay
If you have wanted to go where no one has gone before, then stop off at Starfleet Bay. Here, new Starfleet recruits can learn about the galaxy, test their skills in one of the academy’s greatest tests, or even get the chance to visit other worlds. The Academy is always open for those who wish to help find the truth among the stars.

Attractions:
The Kobayashi Maru

(Interactive simulator)
In Starfleet Academy, there is one test that is known to all for the fierce challenge it presents: the Kobayashi Maru. When faced with impossible odds in this simulated test, how will you and your crew handle under pressure?

Away Mission: Arena
(Shooter dark ride)
Starfleet has received a distress beacon from a nearby colony, so get ready to set your phasers to stun. Face off against the Gorn and Romulans, in a three-way battle of galactic forces orchestrated by that reality-warping menace known as Q.

Starfleet Visitor Center
(Walkthrough)
For those who seek to learn more about the incredible galaxy that Starfleet explores, the Visitor Center will provide plenty for them to discover. From the history of Starfleet to the cultures of races like the Klingons and Vulcans, this building stands as a reminder of the Academy’s motto: From the stars, knowledge.

Restaurants:
Fusion

(Table service)
Starfleet commander looking for a night out have found themselves a good venue with this jazz club and restaurant. Enjoy some drinks and fine cuisine as the sounds of jazz music fill the air, for an experience that can make even a Vulcan tap their toes with joy.

Galactic Cafeteria
(Quick service)
This dining hall for Starfleet cadets gathers the tastes of numerous worlds, all under one roof. From the Klingon dish of pipius claw to the Vulcan gespar, these dishes will not only fill your stomach, but also give you a taste of what the galaxy has to offer.

Stores:
Starfleet Outfitters

Every Starfleet cadet needs to be at the ready with the proper gear, and this shop will supply you with just what you need. From Starfleet apparel to your very own phaser, you’ll have everything you need for beaming down to unknown worlds.

Ferengi Finds
The trade of ideas across cultures and planets can bring out the profit-hunters, and this shop was founded by a Ferengi merchant for exactly that purpose. Though the origins of this shop are far from noble, there’s no denying the beautiful gemstones and collectible art that is for sale at stunning prices.

Honorbound
Do you wish to learn the ways of the Klingons, and adopt their ways? This store will be your first stop in achieving honor! Find the best in Klingon attire and war tools for sale, along with Klingon translation guides that allow even the simplest novice to learn how to speak with power!

DashHaber

Original Poster
I know I've mainly been working on new ideas in this thread, but I wanted to repost an attraction I had worked on during SAVII: Adventures in Toyland. It was envisioned as an old-school Fantasyland-style dark ride, based on the Disney film Babes in Toyland.

DashHaber

Original Poster
I feel like funhouses are a bit of an undervalued attraction type. They're a solid way to get in a fun experience at a more A-ticket level, and proper theming can really help to elevate it further. For instance, I don't have as defined a write-up for it at the moment, but I've had an idea for something Roger Rabbit-related with this sort of attraction. The original film was a goofy take on film noir, so why not have an attraction where guests could feel like a detective on the trail of a crime in Toontown? Thus, we've got my idea: Roger Rabbit's Toon Patrol.

Guests start the attraction off in a detective office in Toontown, where there seems to be a case in progress: Roger Rabbit has disappeared! They can always use a hand in helping out a Toon, so here's your chance to investigate. Leaving the office, you'll snake through shadowy alleyways that can leave you feeling a bit off-step. Next, you'll slip in through a back door at the Ink and Paint Club where Roger was last spotted, navigating backstage through a maze of curtains and dressing room mirrors. Roger's tracks point the way, however, revealing a secret passage into an Acme warehouse. There, among the many trick props and practical jokes that'll take guests by surprise, we'll find the Weasels have caught Roger...or at least, they did! The kooky Toon rabbit turns the tables on those Weasels, and thanks us for keeping an eye out for him. With the case cracked, we can go off and have a merry day!

Chaos Cat

I feel like funhouses are a bit of an undervalued attraction type. They're a solid way to get in a fun experience at a more A-ticket level, and proper theming can really help to elevate it further. For instance, I don't have as defined a write-up for it at the moment, but I've had an idea for something Roger Rabbit-related with this sort of attraction. The original film was a goofy take on film noir, so why not have an attraction where guests could feel like a detective on the trail of a crime in Toontown? Thus, we've got my idea: Roger Rabbit's Toon Patrol.

Guests start the attraction off in a detective office in Toontown, where there seems to be a case in progress: Roger Rabbit has disappeared! They can always use a hand in helping out a Toon, so here's your chance to investigate. Leaving the office, you'll snake through shadowy alleyways that can leave you feeling a bit off-step. Next, you'll slip in through a back door at the Ink and Paint Club where Roger was last spotted, navigating backstage through a maze of curtains and dressing room mirrors. Roger's tracks point the way, however, revealing a secret passage into an Acme warehouse. There, among the many trick props and practical jokes that'll take guests by surprise, we'll find the Weasels have caught Roger...or at least, they did! The kooky Toon rabbit turns the tables on those Weasels, and thanks us for keeping an eye out for him. With the case cracked, we can go off and have a merry day!
@DisneyFan32 is going to get a kick out of this

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

Thanks for stealing my ideas but I love your ideas. I think what Toon cameos will be in the ride?

DashHaber

Original Poster
The issue with IP in the Disney parks is an understandable problem. Recognizable IPs can help to draw people in and offer easy inspiration for new attractions, but some of the classic Disney attractions have been original ideas that got to blossom into their own success. For me, I feel like IPs are fine to use in the Disney parks, but they shouldn't be lazy ideas just slapped in to quickly draw guests. There should be care and consideration given in how to incorporate them.

Take Epcot, for example. Epcot has always been a bit of a challenge in terms of park design, given its foundation as a place for entertainment and education, which can make for a bit of a hard sell to some guests. IPs could help to draw them in, but they should be properties that can help to fit that core mission. Big Hero 6 is one such IP that would make for a natural fit, given the movie's showcase of science and robotics. You could design a pavilion about innovation, for instance, theming it around the San Fransokyo Institute of Technology with an open house that showcases how advances are made when a new perspective is brought into the picture. Wall-E would also make a good choice, for an attraction that demonstrates the importance of ecological balance and fighting against pollution. For a pavilion about computers, you could use Tron (perhaps focusing more on the nature of hardware and programming) or Ralph Breaks the Internet (if you choose to focus on the internet and examining how it impacts our lives). I've even already mentioned the idea before of a pavilion focused on the human mind, with Inside Out as the IP theme to unite it.

EmFromPlanetEarth

A dark ride based on the 2006 curious George movie would be absolutely stunning especially if it used something akin to the runaway railway projections. Shame it wasnt much of a hit financially. Its nothing amazing but its a very cute amd pretty little movie
9F7993CA-2262-4DB8-8755-037EF9E8B976.jpeg
E9081DB7-0EFE-4448-8929-16390958B391.jpeg
8A7A36FE-2234-468D-8DDE-F36003599801.jpeg
13F07543-8C76-4E5E-BDE7-EDCC7CA23DC4.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom