Destination D23 2021

Surferboy567

• Connections: A Look at the Future of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products – Around the world, we’re re-establishing connections—returning to our happy places with the people who mean the most to us, and making brand-new memories. In this session, DPEP Chairman Josh D’Amaro will share how, even in the most difficult of times, Disney continues to inspire and unite us through connections to beloved people and places… to treasured hopes and dreams… and to the power of magic and endless possibilities. You’ll get a first look at some of the newest projects around the world, and of course a little Disney magic along the way.

• Drawn to Life: Inside Disney’s first Collaboration with Cirque Du Soliel – Cirque du Soleil’s Michel Lapriseand Fabrice Becker sit down with Natalie Woodward of Disney Live Entertainment and legendary Disney Animator Eric Goldberg to look back over the years long process of creating Drawn to Life, from the team’s early Animator’s Trust up to their emotions following the show’s grand opening.
  • World Building for Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser – Learn how this all-new two-night immersive experience is coming to life, and how it connects to the broader Star Wars galaxy, with host Ashley Eckstein and an array of the creative minds behind the project.
  • Magical Entertainment for the Walt Disney World 50th Anniversary Celebration – Join the Walt Disney World Ambassadors, Disney Live Entertainment Creative Director Tom Vazzana, and some special guests for a look at new experiences created for “The World’s Most Magical Celebration,” along with a few surprises!
  • The Park Stars of Walt Disney World – Figment, the Orange Bird, and Bonnie Appetite are just a few of the original characters created just for Disney Parks. Join Imagineers Diana Brost and Jason Grandt as they take you on a journey around Walt Disney World to meet many of the fun personalities that have appeared attractions and shows from 1971 to today!

7:30 p.m.: The Magical Musical World of Encanto
Join filmmakers and special guests for a melodic Saturday evening celebration of the upcoming musical, the 60th animated feature from Walt Disney Animation Studios!:

• Disney+ Download at Destination D23 – Fresh off the heels of Disney+ Day, join Disney+ and friends for a look at what’s trending and what’s next for the streaming service.
  • Onboard the Disney Wish: Creativity & Inspiration Sets Sail – Hear from Walt Disney Imagineering and Disney Cruise Line Entertainment as they share stories of designing the new spaces on board the next generation of ships in the Disney Cruise Line fleet.
  • Musical Attractions of Walt Disney World – Join Imagineers Tom Fitzgerald and John Dennis on journey through 50 years of Walt Disney World music, highlighting songs and scores from some fan-favorite attractions – past and present.
It’s looking like we will be getting the nuggets of info we want from these panels. They seem like fun, even the smaller ones. Maybe we can watch them online afterwards.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1636047224869.png

Does the registration packet include a stick of gum?

TTA94

It’s looking like we will be getting the nuggets of info we want from these panels. They seem like fun, even the smaller ones. Maybe we can watch them online afterwards.

Will be interesting to see what comes out of this. Entertainment wise maybe we’ll get some news on Fantasmic at DHS, FoF, MSEP for DL, maybe Magic Happens. Wishful thinking there will be a surprise or two but I doubt it, coughmklightparadecough.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Wasn't Bob Chapek supposed to speak at this? Did I miss his name on the panels?

Guessing it'll be a video welcome (which I was kind of expecting more than him appearing in person to the masses).

Casper Gutman

A cynical part of me would be rather surprised if they make any great big announcements for a couple years - right up until the month Epic Universe is set to open and they want to step on the press coverage.

At the rate WDW builds, if they announced something this month, would it even open by the time EU does?

Casper Gutman

No. If they were smart they would take a page out of universals playbook, get a few major attractions/overhauls underway with no announcements, and announce them right in the run up to EU
A big Star Wars expansion would be the very obvious way to go, perhaps with a couple rides or even a land in AK. But I don’t expect them to do this.

MagicHappens1971

A big Star Wars expansion would be the very obvious way to go, perhaps with a couple rides or even a land in AK. But I don’t expect them to do this.
I don’t expect them to do anything, but expanding GE by one attraction, and adding a full service restaurant. Redoing animation courtyard & removing/retheming Star Tours/ that part of the park. Easiest would be to duplicate Indy from DL, and maybe a flume ride themed to Indy. Adding another land to AK as well as overhauling Dinoland. Finishing off the Future World construction & Epcot & adding an attraction to at least 2 pavilions, finally expanding the footprint of MK at least in Frontierland & Tomorrowland and also in Fantasyland. I expect absolutely nothing, but this would be a good start for them.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
To be honest I think the park panel is where we'll get a date of closure for Splash, or at least more information. Think about it, would they really pass up an event like this where people will most definitely be blogging/streaming/ect.. to try to redeem the project?

castlecake2.0

Wish list:
Epcot update status
Animation Courtyard refresh
Grand Floridian refurbishment
Dinoland update

Not expecting a lot of “new” things, mostly refurbs

peng

Predictions:
Fantasmic opening window (that will probably get pushed back even further)
Splash replacement concept art
A one sentence update on the announced Epcot things
Some unimpressive disney wish concept art.
Disappointment.

Stuff that won't come true:
Any sort of replacement for the current JII (it's probably going to be an IP layover and won't happen until 2025 at the earliest, though there seem to be too many teases for at least something not to happen)
Something with MK (if the rotating attention pattern keeps up, they're the next up after EPCOT, I'm expecting it to be Tron, a slightly different theme to the speedway and maybe something in stitch/alien enounter, and even this is too optimistic).

Not expecting much if at all this time. Only putting Fantasmic in because of the entertainment panel. Not expecting that much from D23 either, from any division of Disney, it's going to be funny seeing the other Disney fans react to the Chapekfication of the rest of the company and since D'Amaro has doubled down on what Chapek pulled at the parks, it will be interesting seeing what happens when his cost cutting affects the movies and tv divisions.

Surferboy567

With Destination D23 a week out I thought it would be a good idea to give my predictions.

1.) Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - I feel like we are going to hear something about this attraction. I don’t really know what but something maybe an opening timeframe? Some new concept art or video? This seems likely.

2.) Some kind of update on EPCOT - Once again, I also feel like we may hear more about what they have planned for the center of EPCOT. Dreamers point, possibly Moana, and other associated projects. This seems less likely but I think has a decent shot.

3.) Spaceship Earth - This isn’t as likely as the others but I can see then talking about refurbing this attraction again sometime soon.

4.) Splash Mountain - I think we have a good chance of hearing more about this attraction. Maybe more concept art or some kind of timeframe.

5.) TRON - TRON is a very weird case, since Disney has basically acted like it hasn’t existed, hasn’t acknowledged this attraction in what seems like a very long time. They may mention it in passing, or not at all.

6.) Fantasmic! - I think this is extremely likely to be shown off here. I expect new show elements given the extensive work.

Things I DON’T expect to see:

1.) Rock N Roll - I expect something to happen here soon. No insider knowledge just seems likely. I don’t expect to see it at this event.

2.) Primeval Whirl replacement - See Rock N Roll’s description.

What does everyone else think?

SplashJacket

What does everyone else think?
  1. 5th gate
  2. Venice hotel between TTC and Contemporary
  3. Stitch, Speedway, and Cosmic Ray’s replacement
  4. Primeval Whirl and Dinoland replaced with a land.
  5. New Indian and South American International Resorts
  6. 3rd gates at DLP, TDL, DLA, and second gates at Hong Kong and Shanghai
  7. New land in Animation Court area.
  8. New nighttime spectacular at Epcot
  9. Rivers of Light replacement
  10. Night Parades at Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios
  11. Tron 3
  12. While we’re at it, 6th gate
  13. Great Movie Ride 2.0
  14. Galaxy’s Edge sit down restaurant
  15. Fill the Galaxy’s Edge plots with 3 more rides
  16. Muppets Dark Ride
  17. Indiana Jones Land
  18. Space Mountain Re-Do
  19. Big Thunder Mountain explosion scene
  20. Peter Pan’s Flight update
  21. Figment Redo
  22. Sea’s re-established as Sea Base Alpha with a high capacity quality Crush’s coaster.
  23. New China film (not propaganda)
  24. Magic Kingdom Railroad Returns
  25. Main Street Theater
  26. Small World to Epcot
  27. Complete loop around Rivers of America
  28. Re-do Kali River Rapids as Tiger River Run
  29. Plus Dinosaur with features that were originally cut
  30. Fix Yeti
  31. Adjust Navi River Journey to Shanghai Pirates Level
  32. New Pandora Attraction
  33. New E-Ticket at WoL
  34. Switzerland and Brazil pavilions.
  35. Swiss Alps Coaster
  36. New Monorails
  37. Sky Liner Expansion
  38. New Epcot Hotel
  39. Lighthouse Point debutting 2022
  40. SSE update comes to fruition
  41. Carousel of Progress update of final scene
  42. PeopleMover Update with actual show scenes
  43. Aladdin Adventureland Spinner Removed
  44. Bay Max Spinner, Battle Bot Cafe, and BH6 attraction added to Speedway and Cosmic Ray’s Area.
  45. Ratatouille Façade expanded for Skyliner’s view.
  46. Japan Animatronic Show
  47. Germany boat Ride
  48. The Land Pavilion aesthetic update
  49. New Magic Kingdom and Epcot Day Time Parades
  50. Epcot East Gateway
Just to name a few and not let my expectations get out of hand. Works pretty well though! 50 things announced for the resort’s 50th! Pretty cool! They’d probably announce a little more than I expect, though, even during this uncertain times.

vikescaper

I’m probably way off but here’s what I think they will announce:

- The opening windows for GOTG and Tron.
- An update on Epcot’s central spine with more details given about Journey of Water and an overview of Epcot’s overhaul so far.
- The return date of MSEP to Disneyland.

I think they will hold off on announcing anything really major until next year’s D23 expo.

TTA94

I’m probably way off but here’s what I think they will announce:

- The opening windows for GOTG and Tron.
- An update on Epcot’s central spine with more details given about Journey of Water and an overview of Epcot’s overhaul so far.
- The return date of MSEP to Disneyland.

I think they will hold off on announcing anything really major until next year’s D23 expo.
Maybe we will hear about a, performer slashed, FoF.

Would be funny if Disney tricked everyone in thinking MSEP was returning to DL and it’s really headed to FL lol. Probably not though lol, Insiders would know if that were happening.
It’s unknown what’s going on with MH and, the other mothballed parade… but I’m expecting those two will remain a mystery for awhile.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom