Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

PostScott

Disney announced Sersi, Kingo and Phastos will be showing up in Avengers Campus starting today -

Why do the costumes kinda look off lol

I finally went on Web Slingers a few days ago when they stopped doing BGs. The line was pretty good and stayed at about 40 mins for most of the day. The queue could really use some more work and feels like a well-made Six Flags queue, but I understand why it's all outside because of the small size of the show building. The pre-show is cute with all of the spider-bots multiplying and running everywhere. Web Slingers is a fun ride but a lackluster attraction. By the end of it, I found myself being so invested in getting the highest score that I forgot how bland it was.

I think the most accurate thing to compare this to is Toy Story. Each scene is toy story is thematically different, using different surroundings, different targets to shoot at, and require different strategies to be used in order to garner more points. You shoot balls at plates, rings at rockets and aliens, darts at balloons, etc. Web Slingers just has you shoot the same webs at the same targets in very similar grey warehouse rooms. No colors really pop off of the screen and every scene has the same feeling. Music doesn't even playing during the ride. I get it that the attraction didn't have enough room to be anything other than a shooting simulator so I set my expectations accordingly, but it didn't even go to it's full potential with being a shooting simulator. I love Midway Mania and to see basically a clone ride do it worse makes me feel so... empty? I just feel like there wasn't any passion put into this project and it just aligns with how "corporate" Disney has become lately. I'll keep my hopes up for the e-ticket and I hope it gets discussed at D23 this year.

J4546

Love all the character interaction there is in Avengers Campus, Disney World wishes to have something like this.
yeah thats really where AC shines. So many characters walking around and shows to see. Id love to see Florida get some serious Marvel Lands but with prior contractual agreements...it may be awhile

MarvelCharacterNerd

Went this weekend to see the Eternals visiting but apparently they left Campus for the day half an hour before I arrived. So I guess I won't get to see them as I'm not sure if/when I'll get back to the parks this year, though I'm hoping for a holiday time visit. But it was a bummer to find out they were only there early in the day. On opening weekend, too. A CM who has known me as a Marvel character fan in the parks for years semi-jokingly asked "well, why did you get here so late in the day?" Umm, because I've noticed most characters haven't been doing meets until the afternoon. And nobody will tell me what time anyone is going to be there anyway, so why bother anymore?

I still waited around for an hour+ for some characters to show up for meets. I couldn't go on rides. Or shop. Or eat. Because I just had to sit on the cement and wait for anyone to appear because the second I left, that's when I would come back and be told "oh, they were just here and you missed them."

Only noticed half as many characters out this time between my waiting and my periodic strolls through afterward. No Dance-Off. Don't know if they did the Wakanda show, but the Doctor Strange show was happening and the Spidey stunt show and I think they did the Avengers HQ stunt show too but I didn't stay for it as I was just there to see characters for meet & greets and none were out while the shows were running.

Part of this is resort-wide - there are some serious cast shortages in both parks. Shows were running sometimes with half-cast and as noted above, some not at all.

But Avengers Campus has a critical need for regular character presence because without them, it's just a place with good atmosphere music (and great lighting at night) to hurry through between Cars Land and the Guardians attraction. And that's sad. Then again, it's nice to have the shortcut open again. lol

TP2000

Went this weekend to see the Eternals visiting but apparently they left Campus for the day half an hour before I arrived. So I guess I won't get to see them as I'm not sure if/when I'll get back to the parks this year, though I'm hoping for a holiday time visit. But it was a bummer to find out they were only there early in the day. On opening weekend, too. A CM who has known me as a Marvel character fan in the parks for years semi-jokingly asked "well, why did you get here so late in the day?" Umm, because I've noticed most characters haven't been doing meets until the afternoon. And nobody will tell me what time anyone is going to be there anyway, so why bother anymore?

I still waited around for an hour+ for some characters to show up for meets. I couldn't go on rides. Or shop. Or eat. Because I just had to sit on the cement and wait for anyone to appear because the second I left, that's when I would come back and be told "oh, they were just here and you missed them."

Only noticed half as many characters out this time between my waiting and my periodic strolls through afterward. No Dance-Off. Don't know if they did the Wakanda show, but the Doctor Strange show was happening and the Spidey stunt show and I think they did the Avengers HQ stunt show too but I didn't stay for it as I was just there to see characters for meet & greets and none were out while the shows were running.

Part of this is resort-wide - there are some serious cast shortages in both parks. Shows were running sometimes with half-cast and as noted above, some not at all.

But Avengers Campus has a critical need for regular character presence because without them, it's just a place with good atmosphere music (and great lighting at night) to hurry through between Cars Land and the Guardians attraction. And that's sad. Then again, it's nice to have the shortcut open again. lol

I still haven't bought a Magic Key.

Reports like this aren't helping.

Emmanuel

I was there on Saturday and the Wakanda show was able to go for the first 3 posted showtimes but the rest were cancelled when I got there. The Avengers HQ show did happen but Black Widow didn't get help from either Captain America or Black Panther.

The Eternals are in the Sanctum until at least 2pm when the Sanctum gets ready for Dr. Strange and his shows there. I started at Disneyland on Saturday but left the park around 12:30 to line up at DCA gates for park hopping and they let us in the park at 12:55 instead of 1pm. Went to AC immediately and the Eternals had no line.

mickEblu

I liked ITTBAB. It was great to sit down in a dark, air conditioned space for a break.

It was great. They took away a whimsical indoor area, which DCA is sorely lacking. It wasn’t lacking industrial theming (no place ever is) or another shooter ride that isn’t even as good as TSMM.

There isn’t a lot of stuff at DCA that is atmospheric indoors. Think the POTC queue. Indy queue. It’s missing all the great layering that DL has. Don’t underestimate what just the act of going down that little path down the grade into the ITTBAB queue did. It told us “you re going somewhere.” Not to mention going from light to dark. It adds depth to a very flat experience at DCA. DL has the berm but in addition the ground levels have a lot of fluctuation. That and all the layering make DL feel like a lived in place.

Last edited:

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I liked ITTBAB. It was great to sit down in a dark, air conditioned space for a break.
I never got to see that show. It was always, "I'll catch it next time" until the next time it was shut down and become a new ride.

My go-to air conditioned space in DCA was always the Animation Building, but on hot and crowded days it was always hard to find a place to sit.

waltography

I never got to see that show. It was always, "I'll catch it next time" until the next time it was shut down and become a new ride.

My go-to air conditioned space in DCA was always the Animation Building, but on hot and crowded days it was always hard to find a place to sit.
ITTBAB was a one and done for me. I think I was traumatized at a young age by the whole show that I refused to even acknowledge it existed. 😂

I love the Animation Building; it's one of the very few bright spots of DCA 1.0.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I still think Avengers Campus is terrific when the shows are all running and they have characters meeting guests at all the designated spots and have multiple more characters patrolling atop Avengers HQ and interacting with each other - when it's alive and busy like that, it is pure magic to me and I will happily spend hours there and not want to leave.

But when I walk through the entire Campus multiple times and no characters are out (and CM's won't tell me when they will be)? Then the place is just a shortcut, not a land. :(

That said, again, I acknowledge that cast shortages right now are resulting in not only poor show for the guests, but low morale and heavy workloads for those CM's who are there. It's why I tried to make a point to thank CM's who were just trying to do their jobs and make it through the day without snapping at equally frustrated guests.

TP2000

ITTBAB was a one and done for me. I think I was traumatized at a young age by the whole show that I refused to even acknowledge it existed. 😂

I love the Animation Building; it's one of the very few bright spots of DCA 1.0.

What's interesting with this comment, and others like it, is that we're completely ignoring Mickey's Philharmagic at DCA. Or the cheaper, smaller, less impressive version of Mickey's Philharmagic that DCA has.

Is that still operating? Or did it already close?

Or was it done so cheaply and less impressively that no one cares about it by 2021?

Full Disclosure: My point of reference for Mickey's Philharmagic is Tokyo Disneyland. And it's done so brilliantly there, and maintained so immaculately, that it's literally breathtaking. Especially when the theater disappears entirely. DCA's smaller, shoehorned, cheaped out version is just so... sad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom