Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Thepuma

I get the annoyance, for sure.

But we found the Caxton card so useful, it’s just like having a debit card with you. Especially when you’re out of the bubble and buying lunch and stuff. And if you store the number you could use it for mobile ordering too. I think it’s a MasterCard but not 100% sure about that.
Awesome....I can't believe I've never heard of them. Its the PERFECT solution to our problem....and I reckon it will save us $36 for every day we do disney (2 lots of genie plus and 4 lightning lane plus)...so probably $250 over the 2 weeks we are in Orlando.

Thanks so much for mentioning it....honestly it will be a godsend. Its a shame you can't use it for tolls as we are going to watch the Miami Dolphins play in Miami and we are driving.

arich35

If the foreign transaction fee really is your biggest problem, and the reason for not visiting WDW again, then look into a Caxton Fx Card.

You can get one that you load in US$ and use it just like a debit card.when you’re in the US. You load it online using your U.K. debit card and at that point you pay the transaction fee. But all those small transactions are done in US$ so no fees.

DH and I use those for day to day spending, and have a credit card on file at the resort for room charging.
Does a Disney Gift Card not work?

dreday3

The price of ticket to arrive “late in the afternoon “ for most people offers no value. Even for us as APs spending 1/3 of the day in the park just to avoid needing to spend $15 per person. Just so frustrating that Disney has done these Extra daily fees

Well, the entire 9 days we were there, I'm sure you could have gone the entire day without needing it. A lot of people were in the regular lines. You just have to be okay with standing in 30 or so minute waits.

nickys

Premium Member
Does a Disney Gift Card not work?
Not so much offsite. 😉

Haven’t been to WDW since mobile ordering came in, I believe you can use a gift card for that. Not sure about Genie+ and ILL$ though.

The problem with gift cards are:

a) knowing how much to load onto it If it runs out tough luck buying Genie at midnight or even 7am.
b) having to actually go buy one using a credit card in the first place. So if I’m going to go and buy one using a card, I might as well just use the card instead.
c) it’s safer if I lose the Caxton card than if I lose a gift card. Once reported lost, no one could use the Caxton card b/c it’d be cancelled. Never having used a gift card I don’t know how you put a stop on it.

James J

In the Parks
No
I get the annoyance, for sure.

But we found the Caxton card so useful, it’s just like having a debit card with you. Especially when you’re out of the bubble and buying lunch and stuff. And if you store the number you could use it for mobile ordering too. I think it’s a MasterCard but not 100% sure about that.

It is indeed a Mastercard, and we also found it so useful. Not just for at WDW but also when I'm in South Carolina visiting family. Being able to top up whenever required makes life so much easier, and like you said it's just like having a debit card.

Jeff4272

I just checked the prices at Hard Rock. The lowest they have for the middle of the week (usually cheapest rates) is $419/night. I paid $70/night at a Comfort Inn less than 2.5 miles away. That's a difference of $349. Even adding in the $170 cost that I paid for an Express Pass, that would still be $179 higher per night to stay at the Hard Rock.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the included Express Passes are only good for the number of days a family is staying there. I was a family of one on my most recent trip.
Yes but if you had 5 it would be $170 x 5 = $850 and then $850 x 2 = $1,700 value because Express pass is good for check in and check out day.

so you pay $419 for over $1,700 of value

sedati

Ah yes, I miss the glory days of the seventies and eighties when the resorts were massively expensive when compared to local options and there were no perks whatsoever beyond proximity and transportation. (Best Western here we come)
We went in July and August and the lines for nearly all attractions were incredibly long, and they were incredibly long for everyone (and mostly horrid switchbacks in the blazing hot sun.)
At least for me fastpass was a wash. Yes we got on some E-tickets quick, but then waited hello-long for some D's. On top of that we just seemed to be walking far more- so much more.
If Genie+ is harder to scam then I'm all for it because my impression is that it has been rampant. From what I overheard in lines and what I've heard from others on their own trips, that's the real problem. The people I know who are complaining the most are the cheaters. I just wish they'd double the LL prices and cut the capacity by half. Or triple.

Jeff4272

Ah yes, I miss the glory days of the seventies and eighties when the resorts were massively expensive when compared to local options and there were no perks whatsoever beyond proximity and transportation. (Best Western here we come)
We went in July and August and the lines for nearly all attractions were incredibly long, and they were incredibly long for everyone (and mostly horrid switchbacks in the blazing hot sun.)
At least for me fastpass was a wash. Yes we got on some E-tickets quick, but then waited hello-long for some D's. On top of that we just seemed to be walking far more- so much more.
If Genie+ is harder to scam then I'm all for it because my impression is that it has been rampant. From what I overheard in lines and what I've heard from others on their own trips, that's the real problem. The people I know who are complaining the most are the cheaters. I just wish they'd double the LL prices and cut the capacity by half. Or triple.
Only problem is, they can and likely will double or triple the IA$ prices but they won’t cut the capacity.

sedati

Only problem is, they can and likely will double or triple the IA$ prices but they won’t cut the capacity.
But to some extent that makes sense. The longer the line you're skipping, the higher the value. Also (possibly) the higher the price, the fewer users.

RoadiJeff

You get Express Pass for the day of check-in and check-out, so a one night stay includes two days of Unlimited Express.
And who is going to get much benefit of an Express Pass on check-in day, which is normally 3-4pm that day? I certainly would not waste my time or the cost of a ticket to be there for only a few hours.

lazyboy97o

And who is going to get much benefit of an Express Pass on check-in day, which is normally 3-4pm that day? I certainly would not waste my time or the cost of a ticket to be there for only a few hours.
It is good the entire day, not just after check-in. You can show up first thing in the morning on your check-in day and get the Express Pass. They also work after you’ve checked out on your check-out day.

RoadiJeff

Yes but if you had 5 it would be $170 x 5 = $850 and then $850 x 2 = $1,700 value because Express pass is good for check in and check out day.

so you pay $419 for over $1,700 of value
I was at Universal for 2 days, with a 3 day gap in between. The $170 Express Pass cost was for a Sunday, the Thursday pass was $150. There was just one of me so I don't know where the "x 2" part comes from.

RoadiJeff

It is good the entire day, not just after check-in. You can show up first thing in the morning on your check-in day and get the Express Pass. They also work after you’ve checked out on your check-out day.
It sounds like a nice plan except my plane didn't even land in Orlando until 3:00pm that day. By the time I got my rental car and made it to the hotel it was after 5:00pm.

drizgirl

The comparison between Universal and WDW is largely beside the point. Yes, Universal's pass sounds like a fabulous deal, and certainly better value for the consumer than Disney's new system. But it's only attractive as a meaningful alternative if you actually want to experience Universal. Not all of us do.
A wise friend of mine described it this way. She loves Disney more. But lately she has more fun at Universal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom