World Drive Phase-III

sinead

The smaller size and lower speed of a modern roundabout is a feature, not a bug. By making a smaller diameter circular roadway with superelevation (banking) against the direction of the curve, drivers naturally are inclined to drive much slower through the conflict points, dramatically reducing the risk of injuries and increasing the volume of cars that can safely enter the intersection. In fact, roundabouts can reduce the odds of crashes by substantial fractions, with some studies showing reductions in the realm of 80%.

There is a difference between a rotary and a roundabout. The first modern roundabout was not built in the United States until the mid-1990s (with the exception of a single intersection built in rural New Jersey in the 1930s that nobody realized had all the characteristics of a roundabout until that time). Roundabouts were developed in Europe in the 1960s as a safer, more efficient version of a rotary. See this link for more on the differences between the two.

Of course, unfamiliar drivers do have problems in roundabouts, but they also have problems in traffic signals, highway exit ramps, and all other types of roads. But the failure mode of roundabouts is a minor low-speed nonfatal fender bender, not a high-speed 90 degree collision. In places where volumes and geometries are appropriate, roundabouts are a superior technology, and I think they will work well here.
Minor correction....New Jersey has had many "circles" as they're called there, since at least the 1950's. Not as well-designed as you describe, they continue to be high-speed & dangerous. The higher "banking" in some (as on our exit/entry ramps) cause tractor-trailer & large SUV tip-overs, especially on slick roads. NO ONE slows down! Some are being altered. They have little in common with those I saw in UK.

And an extremely high percentage of Disney drivers will be totally "unfamiliar drivers" since these are not common in most states.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Minor correction....New Jersey has had many "circles" as they're called there, since at least the 1950's. Not as well-designed as you describe, they continue to be high-speed & dangerous. The higher "banking" in some (as on our exit/entry ramps) cause tractor-trailer & large SUV tip-overs, especially on slick roads. NO ONE slows down! Some are being altered. They have little in common with those I saw in UK.

And an extremely high percentage of Disney drivers will be totally "unfamiliar drivers" since these are not common in most states.
We can only hope there is a 11foot8 style webcam at each of these. ;)

Twirlnhurl

I am specifically referring to an intersection which was constructed in the 1930s or early '40s and has all of the characteristics of a modern roundabout. This was built prior to the independent invention of the roundabout in Europe.

The rotaries or traffic circles built elsewhere in New Jersey do not count as a modern roundabout, as they lack the essential design features of a modern roundabout. A modern roundabout cannot be driven through faster than about 30 mph without recklessly crossing lanes. One of the primary jobs of a highway engineer who is designing a roundabout is to determine the paths of travel and the maximum speed that they can be traversed.

Obviously any traffic control device can be traversed by people who make poor choices. But roundabouts are a great design choice for a wide range of intersections because when they fail, it is very rare for people to get seriously hurt.

When this opens, even with the large number of people who don't know where they are going or how to use them, drivers will only occasionally have to stop when driving through them because of drivers who do the wrong thing.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
If you want to talk about bad traffic circles, here is a picture from 1968 of a notorious one in southern New Jersey. I went through this one many times before it was removed, it was a nightmare.

1635372685540.png

Lilofan

At least NJ has their cell phone law. What is as allowed is hands free only. Dangerous to drive with one hand on the wheel and other hand holding phone to ear.

Lilofan

The vast majority of cars in the U.K. are manual. Something like 70k tests taken a year are in automatic cars, 1.5 million in manual cars.

If you pass a driving test in an automatic, you are only allowed to drive an automatic car.
I'm part of the small population that lives to row through the gears in the USA. To me, it is a theft deterrent since many don't know how to drive a stick and both hands and both feet concentrated on driving at all times. Save the manuals!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom