News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

tommyhawkins

If the duration of the ride is more than 2 minutes then I can forgive the humungous show building. Usually launch coasters are short since they don't have the traditional chain lift so I would assume with the size of the building that there will be a lot of track there.
Don't worry its a lot more than 2 mins, and its not just LSM, theres a LOT of track in there: this is the back half of the show building, notice how the supports are everywhere ive included my mock up of the first half

Image3.jpg

Incomudro

I've never understood the intense desire that people seem to have for under-estimating (and appealing to) the views of the "average guest". It's not rocket science to figure out what is in the giant box visible from half the park. People do notice it and people absolutely know what it is. Even if they don't, that doesn't make this acceptable show.
Going to have to disagree with you on that one.
Certainly people who know of the build, and know what's going on at Disney will know.
But the average family going on rides? No.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You act like it's all a deception - as if thousands of people haven't walked through the park and noticed how huge this double-wide, 14 story building is. Pretending that its scale is merely a trick of photography is far more disingenuous than zooming in on a photo to remove irrelevant information.
Telephoto shots are a deception. They do not show what it's like in real life. And posting them and saying "SEE??!!" is, in fact, a deception. Notice how anyone wanting to make the point of how horrible they are almost never posts a regular shot. Instead, they show an exaggerated view.

I've been to Epcot with the BBB. It is indeed towering from the parking lot. But, once inside the parks, the buildings and landscaping surrounding one in Future World quickly makes it mostly obscured. And looking from across the lagoon, it easy to miss unless you look for it.

That said, I'm not defending an unthemed visible building. It definitely should have had a facade or architectural elements to make it 'fit.'

But telephoto shots and claims of it towering over SSE are just hyperbolic, and what's truly risible.

Casper Gutman

Oh we doing a photos show and tell are we? Cute. Here's mine:

View attachment 593570
Yes, and as accustomed as we’ve become to those, a lot of people found them an ugly mistake at the time. EPCOT fared horribly in the Disney decade, as great as it was elsewhere. And the presence of one (old) mistake does not justify making a bunch of new ones.

You are trying so hard to deny and distract from something that is obvious to anyone who visits the park - that the gravity building is unavoidably huge and very obvious.

If this ride was particularly unique, a lot more could be forgiven, but this is Disney’s third sci-if coaster in the dark with occasional show scenes (4th if you count TT) and one of two very similar rides opening over the next year and a half. Other then the specific IP, what have we seen of this ride that makes it look particularly innovative or exciting, more then a mash-up of Crush, RnR, Space, and Gringotts?

Casper Gutman

Telephoto shots are a deception. They do not show what it's like in real life. And posting them and saying "SEE??!!" is, in fact, a deception. Notice how anyone wanting to make the point of how horrible they are almost never posts a regular shot. Instead, they show an exaggerated view.

I've been to Epcot with the BBB. It is indeed towering from the parking lot. But, once inside the parks, the buildings and landscaping surrounding one in Future World quickly makes it mostly obscured. And looking from across the lagoon, it easy to miss unless you look for it.

That said, I'm not defending an unthemed visible building. It definitely should have had a facade or architectural elements to make it 'fit.'

But telephoto shots and claims of it towering over SSE are just hyperbolic, and what's truly risible.
It really is not obscured at all from Future World East.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Going to have to disagree with you on that one.
Certainly people who know of the build, and know what's going on at Disney will know.
But the average family going on rides? No.

If you don’t think the “average guest” can’t figure out what’s in the big blue box, you must think they are idiots. It’s not as if you only see that thing inside the park. Coming into Epcot from the north it’s blatantly obvious it’s there, and anyone with half a brain cell will figure out quickly, “Oh, that’s that new Marvel ride”.

Patcheslee

Are there any concept photos that actually show the building? I've noticed the general Epcot D23 photos don't include the area it would be.

tommyhawkins

If you don’t think the “average guest” can’t figure out what’s in the big blue box, you must think they are idiots. It’s not as if you only see that thing inside the park. Coming into Epcot from the north it’s blatantly obvious it’s there, and anyone with half a brain cell will figure out quickly, “Oh, that’s that new Marvel ride”.
Whats the first thing you are greeted with when you turn off Osceola Parkway and do the 180 loop into the DAK lot?

Nobody is calling average guests idiots, everyone is saying they just dont care as much as people like yourself who post on Epcot forums do about it. And the above example, may be jarring to many but so much happens between seeing the show building.....parking....going through security/entrance then being immersed into the park that it many wont give it a second thought. The same is true of Epcot

Giss Neric

Don't worry its a lot more than 2 mins, and its not just LSM, theres a LOT of track in there: this is the back half of the show building, notice how the supports are everywhere ive included my mock up of the first half

View attachment 593591

On the pov vid, it seems there is a bit of a coaster portion before the actual backwards launch. So the backwards launch is not really the beginning of the ride? The queue building has a coaster portion before the tunnel launch?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
On the pov vid, it seems there is a bit of a coaster portion before the actual backwards launch. So the backwards launch is not really the beginning of the ride? The queue building has a coaster portion before the tunnel launch?
This is someone's guess of what it will be like. So, there are enough grains of salt here to fill the Dead Sea.

Everything that Disney has put out kept emphasizing a backward launch, which presumes, right at the start. Tho, it wouldn't be the first time Disney used sloppy language and there is a second launch which is backwards.

Then again, with the RVs turning around throughout the ride, probably doesn't matter.

Jones14

Most coasters have a short section of track between the station and the first lift/launch to clear the station for the next train to come in (Big Thunder, Everest, Rock’n’Rollercoaster, Space, etc all have one).

This looks to be similar, but will likely have some exposition and/or visuals to set up the backwards launch.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Most coasters have a short section of track between the station and the first lift/launch to clear the station for the next train to come in (Big Thunder, Everest, Rock’n’Rollercoaster, Space, etc all have one).

This looks to be similar, but will likely have some exposition and/or visuals to set up the backwards launch.
This was my thought as well.

tommyhawkins

This is someone's guess of what it will be like. So, there are enough grains of salt here to fill the Dead Sea.

Everything that Disney has put out kept emphasizing a backward launch, which presumes, right at the start. Tho, it wouldn't be the first time Disney used sloppy language and there is a second launch which is backwards.

Then again, with the RVs turning around throughout the ride, probably doesn't matter.
I have been extremely transparent about what parts are guesswork actually, or what limits there are in the software IE you can't have spinning, launch and lift hills in the same thing. The loop I had to build is a dead end it's entirely possible that it starts backwards but rotates before the top of the hill...as you said Disney can be loose with the language , But anybody who frequents this message board knows what information is on here as far as the layout is concerned. This ride has also been extensively documented by Bioreconstruct who provided me with additional material not published on twitter. I spent many months researching, making measurements, using actual photos to place track. And as a result, what I guessed ended up matching new footage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom