News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

comics101

its behind you and more than 900ft away , you have to turn around 100degrees from the direction you need to walk into the park to see it. try thinking like most of the people that go to the parks
View attachment 593526
1634266048952.jpeg

1634267170661.jpeg

These are just a couple of images, but it’s very visible throughout the park. It’s pretty bad.

As for “thinking like most people,” most people cannot articulate what makes (or rather, made) a Disney park special. They don’t realize that Epcot’s pavilions were designed to be seen from all angles in the park. You’d have to point out to them that, prior to Guardians of the Galaxy, a great amount of care and work went into disguising show buildings for the sake of the “show.” And that, btw, is the point. It shouldn’t be obvious to the average guest that show buildings aren’t visible. Guests shouldn’t think about the design of the park while they’re visiting. That’s the Disney Difference.

I mean, this is quite literally the equivalent of filming a movie on a set full of details and intricacies that are noticed during closeup shots. In the next scene, the camera cuts to a wide shot in which it’s revealed that the movie is filmed on a Hollywood backlot and the set is propped up against a soundstage. It ruins the movie.

Or imagine if at MK, the Be Our Guest castle and rock work were simply plopped in front of a blue warehouse. The warehouse is visible from behind Cinderella castle, and it lurks in the background of the park. Would anyone on these forums actually find that acceptable? It’s no different than this show building at Epcot.

No, it doesn’t. It’s big, but that’s hyperbolic.

Ok, it may not “tower” over SSE, but there is no denying that it competes for guests’ attention.

1634266740346.png

I mean, this big blue warehouse absolutely impacts the grandeur of Spaceship Earth while walking towards Epcot’s entrance; there’s no denying it. It absolutely affects first impressions.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
View attachment 593547
View attachment 593550
These are just a couple of images, but it’s very visible throughout the park. It’s pretty bad.

These pictures are confusing. Did they build the big blue box to be immediately behind Showcase Plaza, or immediately behind Electric Umbrella? Thought it was hundreds of yards further back.

(IOW, don't use telephoto shots to prove a point.)

comics101

These pictures are confusing. Did they build the big blue box to be immediately behind Showcase Plaza, or immediately behind Electric Umbrella? Thought it was hundreds of yards further back.

I mean, I’d be lying if I told you that I know much about photography, but in my mind the below photo isn’t any better. At all.

1634269664088.jpeg

Vegas Disney Fan

I mean, I’d be lying if I told you that I know much about photography, but in my mind the below photo isn’t any better. At all.

View attachment 593551
In this picture where would your focus be in real life, SSE or Guardians? (Or right now the tacos/space port?)

For all but someone specifically looking for the Guardians building I’d guess very few people will ever notice Guardians.

We went last November and I can’t recall noticing the Guardians building, I’ve also read a lot of complaints over the years about the soarin building towering above world showcase and have never noticed it in my half dozen Epcot trips either. In pictures it looks massive and impossible to miss but I’ve never noticed it. It’s amazing how well the go away paints can trick our minds.

In the Guardians landscaping pics earlier I didn’t even notice the back building and it’s dead center in the frame.

Attachments

• EF9D5AC8-1EE9-4F7C-9EAD-163C6F9AAA32.jpeg
    EF9D5AC8-1EE9-4F7C-9EAD-163C6F9AAA32.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

RSoxNo1

View attachment 593547
View attachment 593550

As for “thinking like most people,” most people cannot articulate what makes (or rather, made) a Disney park special. They don’t realize that Epcot’s pavilions were designed to be seen from all angles in the park. You’d have to point out to them that, prior to Guardians of the Galaxy, a great amount of care and work went into disguising show buildings for the sake of the “show.” And that, btw, is the point. It shouldn’t be obvious to the average guest that show buildings aren’t visible. Guests shouldn’t think about the design of the park while they’re visiting. That’s the Disney Difference.

I mean, this is quite literally the equivalent of filming a movie on a set full of details and intricacies that are noticed during closeup shots. In the next scene, the camera cuts to a wide shot in which it’s revealed that the movie is filmed on a Hollywood backlot and the set is propped up against a soundstage. It ruins the movie.

Or imagine if at MK, the Be Our Guest castle and rock work were simply plopped in front of a blue warehouse. The warehouse is visible from behind Cinderella castle, and it lurks in the background of the park. Would anyone on these forums actually find that acceptable? It’s no different than this show building at Epcot.

Ok, it may not “tower” over SSE, but there is no denying that it competes for guests’ attention.

View attachment 593548
I mean, this big blue warehouse absolutely impacts the grandeur of Spaceship Earth while walking towards Epcot’s entrance; there’s no denying it. It absolutely affects first impressions.
Very well said. Sightlines matter and disrupt intricately themed areas. The best executed parks, lands, and attractions don't have these issues. It's something that has cropped up more and more lately and I think it points to today's creatives (or the executives that manage them) not understanding the importance of non-linear storytelling. The very first point you made about most people being unable to articulate why something in a Disney park "feels right" is exactly the issue under attack here.

A disruption to the theme, a disruption to that story telling is a problem.

I will often refer to the below Instagram post by Joe Rohde where in the context of a misplaced vent he talks about the importance of things being out of place, non-linear story telling, disruption/dilution of theming, etc.

yensidtlaw1969

its behind you and more than 900ft away , you have to turn around 100degrees from the direction you need to walk into the park to see it. try thinking like most of the people that go to the parks
View attachment 593526
I . . . you do know Theme Parks are 360 environments, right?? It's not like people walk under Spaceship Earth and straight toward The American Adventure, never averting their gaze from their forward motion.

You walk around World Showcase and it's visible.

You walk back towards the front of the park and it's visible.

Jeeze, you walk towards the Guardians entrance and it's visible. It's not a well disguised building and is visible from many places in the park. Let's not be silly and pretend it's somehow only ever "behind" people.

yensidtlaw1969

The way you get hung up on this is hilarious to me. It's obvious from those photos how the buildings are situated, and anyone with sense can see the first pic is a shot from all the way across the park - but it's not like people are actively and deviously compressing the elements of the park to make the Guardians building look huge. It needs no help with that, regardless. Anything tall enough to be visible from all the way across the park needs no photography tricks to look huge - it simply is enormous. The largest building in the park by a nautical mile, if still a bit shorter than Spaceship Earth.

Not to mention that the second is not even a "telephoto" shot, which is clear to anyone who knows where it was taken in the park (probably most of us on a site like this), and it still illustrates clearly that the building is monstrously tall. You seem to confuse Telephoto Lens Photography for what is actually Cropping or Framing, which is simply something people do to direct focus to their intended subject.

You act like it's all a deception - as if thousands of people haven't walked through the park and noticed how huge this double-wide, 14 story building is. Pretending that its scale is merely a trick of photography is far more disingenuous than zooming in on a photo to remove irrelevant information.

No photo viewed on your desktop will properly depict how large or small it actually looms on the horizon, nor will it accurately represent how big it is in the human field of view. Whether the picture be telephoto, wide-angle, or even fish eye. In person the thing is big and many have witnessed and attested to it. Myself included.

Last edited:

Incomudro

View attachment 593551
It's way better.
There are certainly problems with Disney's decision to ok a visible ride box, but there are degrees of everything.
This is different from seeing the box that contains the Everest track, because that breaks the illusion of that being a space in the natural world.
With the Guardians coaster, most park goers won't even realize the coaster goes into the box in the background.

britain

For guests like me that enter from International Gateway and then head north toward Spaceship Earth, the view of the Guardians building is impossible to miss.

I suspect they were really counting on the Festival Table to block the views to the north.

Oh well, just another little thing that makes Epcot not as great as it used to be.

Casper Gutman

Folks, it is really, really visible. If you haven't seen it in person, you'll be surprised when you do. When I was walking from the parking lot to the front gate, I saw it and thought, "that's pretty bad, but its off to the side so I think I can ignore it." Later, walking to Test Track from World Showcase, I realized, "no, that's huge and obtrusive and absolutely ruins the skyline."

Seriously, seeing it against Life accentuates how massive and awkward it is.

October82

It's way better.
There are certainly problems with Disney's decision to ok a visible ride box, but there are degrees of everything.
This is different from seeing the box that contains the Everest track, because that breaks the illusion of that being a space in the natural world.
With the Guardians coaster, most park goers won't even realize the coaster goes into the box in the background.

I've never understood the intense desire that people seem to have for under-estimating (and appealing to) the views of the "average guest". It's not rocket science to figure out what is in the giant box visible from half the park. People do notice it and people absolutely know what it is. Even if they don't, that doesn't make this acceptable show.

Giss Neric

If the duration of the ride is more than 2 minutes then I can forgive the humungous show building. Usually launch coasters are short since they don't have the traditional chain lift so I would assume with the size of the building that there will be a lot of track there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom