Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

pdude81

everything is correct, no worries, is what it is.
That's a bummer. We have had a bunch of times where it blew up on us like that (paws message) after finding reservations. I'd have to try it 3 or 4 times to get through, as if their system was completely overloaded.

I saw the other post about dates and assumed it wasn't letting you choose your dates in the calendar. Unfortunately just a crappy system that's being crushed by "unprecedented demand"

You'd think that without fastpass or genie being used currently and reduced attendance that there would be LESS strain on the system. Maybe they are cutting back to one datacenter to save on electricity until Q2 :p

mikejs78

Premium Member
yes, because july is the dead of tourist season and all…. Spin all you want…. Hours were cut down… never mind the reduction in EMH

gone are the days of worries over the park not having enough downtime due to excessive late hours and early opening. And it’s not due to reduced forecasts…
July has actually declined in attendance in recent years. Summer is less crowded than it used to be.

Rich Brownn

Disney does not* deliberately manipulate wait times, they're just bad at reporting them.

*Except late at night, when they very likely inflate wait times to try and dissuade people from entering the line right as the park is closing.
Last night at Rise: Posted wait time at 8:30 - 215 minutes. Actual wait time:40 No one at Disney miscalculates that much. It had to be deliberate.

flynnibus

Premium Member
July has actually declined in attendance in recent years. Summer is less crowded than it used to be.

Declined doesn't mean 'low' or 'low demand' though.

If there wasn't demand on property, Disney wouldn't be able to monetize those later hours at double the price :)

GuyFawkes

People are overcomplicating this themselves because they are still trying to think how to optimize everything to get the most of it... when they are glossing over "what if disney wants it to be adhoc and makes it so it can be?". People are so fixated on planning they are freaking out they can't plan it... when maybe they won't need to?

Disney has trained people this way. You got to do everything as far in advanced as possible or you won't get it.

Rickcat96

That's a bummer. We have had a bunch of times where it blew up on us like that (paws message) after finding reservations. I'd have to try it 3 or 4 times to get through, as if their system was completely overloaded.

I saw the other post about dates and assumed it wasn't letting you choose your dates in the calendar. Unfortunately just a crappy system that's being crushed by "unprecedented demand"

You'd think that without fastpass or genie being used currently and reduced attendance that there would be LESS strain on the system. Maybe they are cutting back to one datacenter to save on electricity until Q2 :p

took almost 4 hours to get a person- Pretty much got everything we wanted-just had to change some of the parks days around. CM actually did a super job helping.

MickeyLuv'r

But… that’s kinda misleading. Obviously we can’t look at current park hours because things have not yet returned to normal. But there were certainly many days pre-Covid that the parks including the Magic Kingdom were open late. If you go back and look at historic park hours before parties or after hours events existed there were still days that the magic kingdom closed at 6 or 7 PM.
The point I was trying to make was that - prior to the pandemic - WDW had already reduced park hours a significant amount from what was offered a few years prior. The pp I quoted said they stayed in the parks until 1am. As of 2019, the parks weren't open until 1am, except on major holidays: NYE, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Easter.

If we look back to like August of 2016 though, for example:
MK was open until 1am or later w/EMH: 5 nights
until midnight: 13 nights
Until 11pm: 9 nights
there were only 3 nights that MK closed before 11pm (8/28, 8/29, and 8/30).

In August 2019, MK closed by 10pm every night, and some nights it closed at YIKES! - 6pm! The only park that wasn't 100% closed by 10pm - all month -was a handful of Epcot EMH days when Epcot closed at 11pm, most of the month Epcot closed at 9pm.

It wasn't possible to be in any of the parks past 11pm, because they were all closed.

I see no reason to assume WDW will bring back late night hours after the pandemic has subsided. I hope I'm wrong on that, because late night park touring was terrific.

MickeyLuv'r

No. Park hours are based on forecasted park attendance and have been for decades. Everyone loves to point out days long ago where the parks closed at midnight but ignore that MK was also closing at 6pm many nights.
See my post comparing August 2016 park hours to August 2019. Last I checked, Halloween is celebrated on October 31.

Back in 2016, the MK Halloween parties didn't start until Sept 2nd, with MK closing at 7pm.
In 2017, that got pushed up to August 25 (and 29), with MK still closing at 7pm.
In 2018, that got pushed up to August 17 (+24, and 28), with MK closing at 6pm.
In 2019, that got changed to August 16 +20, 23, 27, and 30. With MK closing at 6pm. But again - on non party nights MK was also no longer open past 10pm.

This year, we did see a small improvement of sorts because the parties all started at 9pm. Unfortunately, MK also closed at 9pm every night of August.

So - again - there was a significant shift in the availability of park hours that went until 1am. (where the park hours comments sub-topic started).

I hope we see the return of longer park hours, but I'm not confident that will be the case.

Rickcat96

1634154911844.png

All Day IT issues- Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Namaari

So I can already see a (possible) loophole that people might exploit to ride something twice with Genie+ and/or IAS. Example: I have a family member who doesn’t do most rides. I’m also the member in our family who is in charge of booking everything on the MDE app for everyone. I book myself for a Lightning Lane pass at Haunted Mansion at 9am, go on the ride, and won’t be able to book a LL pass for that ride again for the rest of that day. What’s to stop me from booking my family member for Haunted Mansion later in the day and going in her place, claiming that I am her? Or using her 2 IAS passes? (Unless they’re checking IDs at the entrance of the rides, which I don’t really see them doing.) Not saying that I plan on doing this, but was just pondering about how they will regulate.

Patcheslee

So I can already see a (possible) loophole that people might exploit to ride something twice with Genie+ and/or IAS. Example: I have a family member who doesn’t do most rides. I’m also the member in our family who is in charge of booking everything on the MDE app for everyone. I book myself for a Lightning Lane pass at Haunted Mansion at 9am, go on the ride, and won’t be able to book a LL pass for that ride again for the rest of that day. What’s to stop me from booking my family member for Haunted Mansion later in the day and going in her place, claiming that I am her? Or using her 2 IAS passes? (Unless they’re checking IDs at the entrance of the rides, which I don’t really see them doing.) Not saying that I plan on doing this, but was just pondering about how they will regulate.
No different than booking FP+ for a guest that doesn't ride and using their magic band.

Wendy Pleakley

No different than the old FP+ system, but a loophole less likely to be used due to the cost.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom