News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Vegas Disney Fan

I think the changes so far have mostly been good and a great step to the revitalization of EPCOT. I just wish TDO moved above a snails pace when it comes to these things, but I guess we just have to wait. Hoping more of the spine will be open in January
I’ve only been going to WDW since 2013 but can’t recall Epcot receiving ANY love since I started visiting, it’s odd that after decades of neglect people are now upset they are investing in it and making changes.

I agree the snails pace is a huge problem but I’m thrilled for Guardians to replace what I found a pretty bad Ellen ride, I’m thrilled Rat is replacing a parking lot, I’m thrilled a park and Walt statue is replacing the former concrete jungle with a pin trading spot, I’m thrilled the hideous multi colored buildings are being refreshed, thrilled with the new entrance plaza rather than the headstones, thrilled with the new lighting on SSE, thrilled the empty innovations building west is becoming a water feature...

Its odd to me that people are now acting like the empty buildings and paved over middle were something spectacular that should have been preserved. It’s ugly right now but in a couple years its going to be a vast improvement, gotta break some eggs to make an omelette.

Last edited:

Epcot82Guy

I’ve only been going to WDW since 2013 but can’t recall Epcot receiving ANY love since I started visiting, it’s odd that after decades of neglect people are now upset they are investing in it and making changes.

I agree the snails pace is a huge problem but I’m thrilled for Guardians to replace what I found a pretty bad Ellen ride, I’m thrilled Rat is replacing a parking lot, I’m thrilled a park and Walt statue is replacing the former concrete jungle with a pin trading spot, I’m thrilled the hideous multi colored buildings are being refreshed, thrilled with the new entrance plaza rather than the headstones, thrilled with the new lighting on SSE, thrilled the empty innovations building west is becoming a water feature...

Its odd to me that people are now acting like the empty buildings and paved over middle were something spectacular that should have been preserved. It’s ugly right now but in a couple years its going to be a vast improvement, gotta break some eggs to make an omelette.
Speaking for me (which I think others agree), I can see your confusion. But I think the reality between the lines are a bit different. I don't know anyone who thinks Epcot should just remain how it was. It was effectively abandoned for updates and desperately needed investment. Period. The issue, ignoring the entry way, is how much the new approach is destroying what we love about Epcot. So the new things are not interesting and coming at the death of Epcot and it's story and focus (to us). There was no attempt to fit these things into Epcot. They are heavily changing Epcot to accommodate the additions. With that, people are holding onto things like Splash Pads and the like - but I think it's a proxy. We are getting helpless as we watch something we love being destroyed. A natural human reaction then is to vilify. It's an attempt to feel some control before grieving the death at the hands of $lappie. That means your view, on the surface is totally understandable. And hopefully this shows what many of us are actually trying to say.

Again, it's not investment. And I think there was a way to make these work with Epcot. But Disney is really struggling with storytelling right now. And I think that's what has created so much anger and cynicism in any changes for those fans in this camp.

vikescaper

For me, it’s how slow the demolition and reconstruction has taken to this point. Yes, I know the pandemic has delayed numerous projects but all we have out of the reconstruction of Future World so far is the new entrance, Creations Shop and the new Club Cool. Epcot needed to be updated majorly but the length it is taking has been painful.

EPCOTCenterLover

As someone who loved Epcot from our very first visit less than 6 months after opening, it is discouraging to see what they have done to a once amazing place. Even with two years between visits, I was surprised by the drastic change in feel when we visited less than two weeks ago. (All the details and photos here.) Yes, the suits let it rot for decades, but the new direction for the park is misguided at best. Epcot is not a foodcourt nor is it Magic Kingdom/Hollywood Studios 2.0- yet that is exactly what seems to be happening. I'd encourage you to investigate the park at opening through videos, articles, or books. I'm sure you'll discover you would have loved what it once was. (BTW- yes, there is a detailed trip report on my blog- as with every trip.)

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

As someone who loved Epcot from our very first visit less than 6 months after opening, it is discouraging to see what they have done to a once amazing place. Even with two years between visits, I was surprised by the drastic change in feel when we visited less than two weeks ago. (All the details and photos here.) Yes, the suits let it rot for decades, but the new direction for the park is misguided at best. Epcot is not a foodcourt nor is it Magic Kingdom/Hollywood Studios 2.0- yet that is exactly what seems to be happening. I'd encourage you to investigate the park at opening through videos, articles, or books. I'm sure you'll discover you would have loved what it once was. (BTW- yes, there is a detailed trip report on my blog- as with every trip.)
I’m aware of the history and original intention for Epcot but it seems Disney abandoned the edutainment aspect about 30 years ago and forgot about the park.

Communicore was long gone when I first visited in 2013, when we first walked through innoventions it was empty except for some pathetic video games and some meet and greets, not exactly educational or a vision of future technology.

I’ve never stepped foot in Wonders of Life because in the decade I’ve been going to WDW it hasn’t been open a single time.

I did Ellen’s Energy my first trip and never bothered to go back because it was so bad.

We do Figment in the Imagination pavilion every trip but not because it’s good, it’s ok but we do it because there isn’t much else to do, I’ve seen the recreation videos of the original show and although they look great that ride disappeared over 20 years ago.

I’ve watched videos of Horizons and it looks amazing but that ride disappeared in the 90s, over a decade before my first visit. Mission space is ok but tends to make my head spin.

SSE is my favorite ride at Epcot and Living with the Land is my second favorite so I understand why people long for the past but the reality is that vision ended in the 90s. If this were a recent trend I’d understand the frustration but the move away from the original vision has been going on for over 20 years… long story short I’d rather have a good park based on a bad concept over a bad park based on a good concept.

Edited to add: in a perfect world we’d get both, good concept and good execution, but since that ship seemed to have sailed 20 years ago I’m much happier with what’s coming than what we currently have.

The original concept was good but apparently wasn’t profitable or they felt it wasn’t sustainable because they gave up on it a decade after the park opened. They’ve been moving away from it longer than they kept it.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

I’m fully aware of the history and original intention for Epcot but it seems Disney abandoned the edutainment aspect about 30 years ago and forgot about the park.

Communicore was long gone when I first visited in 2013, when we first walked through innoventions it was empty except for some pathetic video games and some meet and greets, not exactly educational or a vision of future technology.

I’ve never stepped foot in Wonders of Life because in the decade I’ve been going to WDW it hasn’t been open a single time.

I did Ellen’s Energy my first trip and never bothered to go back because it was so bad.

We do Figment in the Imagination pavilion every trip but not because it’s good, it’s ok but we do it because there isn’t much else to do, I’ve seen the recreation videos of the original show and although they look great that ride disappeared over 20 years ago.

I’ve watched videos of Horizons and it looks amazing but that ride disappeared in the 90s, over a decade before my first visit. Mission space is ok but tends to make my head spin.

SSE is my favorite ride at Epcot and Living with the Land is my second favorite so I understand why people long for the past but the reality is that vision ended in the 90s. If this were a recent trend I’d understand the frustration but the move away from the original vision has been going on for over 20 years… long story short I’d rather have a good park based on a bad concept over a bad park based on a good concept.

The original concept was good but apparently wasn’t profitable or they felt it wasn’t sustainable because they gave up on it a decade after the park opened. They’ve been moving away from it longer than they kept it.
No one thinks classic EPCOT is coming back. At this point the park needs a vision, any vision - and a lot of attractions.

Old EPCOT didn’t disappear for logical business reasons. It fell because Eisner got panicked by Uni and the “radical” 90s, and shortly after the terrible makeover WDW entered a decades long period of underinvestment and stagnation under Iger and we got stuck with it for a long, long time.

EPCOTCenterLover

I’m fully aware of the history and original intention for Epcot but it seems Disney abandoned the edutainment aspect about 30 years ago and forgot about the park.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I agree with so much of this, but I do think @Casper Gutman is right about Eisner panicking, etc. and not profitability.

Vegas Disney Fan

Here is mine.
Martins videos are the best visual documentation of EPCOT's history.
A good read which, I think, confirms my belief that the abandonment of the second vision of Epcot (the first being the city) happened in the 90s. Epcot hasn’t been the nostalgic Epcot everyone misses for a couple decades.

Many of us here would love to see the original Figment ride back, dream finder and all, but do we honestly think it would resonate with everyday guests who aren’t hardcore fans? How about a slow people mover ride about movement? From a nostalgic perspective they’d be great but from a new ride perspective Disney would be bashed relentlessly if they built and marketed those “boring” rides as new rides today. Or worse they’d modernize them for todays audience and they’d be screen based and even the fan community would hate them.

Futureworld is gone and isn’t coming back, rather than being upset by that I’m just excited we are finally getting something better than a long neglected area, ironically, known as Futureworlld.

ImperfectPixie

A good read which, I think, confirms my belief that the abandonment of the second vision of Epcot (the first being the city) happened in the 90s. Epcot hasn’t been the nostalgic Epcot everyone misses for a couple decades.

Many of us here would love to see the original Figment ride back, dream finder and all, but do we honestly think it would resonate with everyday guests who aren’t hardcore fans? How about a slow people mover ride about movement? From a nostalgic perspective they’d be great but from a new ride perspective Disney would be bashed relentlessly if they built and marketed those “boring” rides as new rides today. Or worse they’d modernize them for todays audience and they’d be screen based and even the fan community would hate them.

Futureworld is gone and isn’t coming back, rather than being upset by that I’m just excited we are finally getting something better than a long neglected area, ironically, known as Futureworlld.
The original Imagination, I think, would resonate with anyone. There was nothing that could become dated, and it tapped quickly into our inner child who sees the world as full of possibilities.

Casper Gutman

Yes, I think they would still resonate, just like SSE does. Imagination certainly would. The idea that the audience has changed in some profound, fundamental way is the same thinking that got us the “modern kids want rad rides with ‘tude! We need to follow the lead of Bubsy and Venom!” Makeover of the 90s.

And I really don’t get why you think some corner has been turned. EPCOT is worse then ever before. The entire central plaza, about a third of Future World, is a construction site and they have no idea what they’re building there! Imagination is pathetic, Nemo is lackluster, Mission: Space is a bad, dated ride, and Play is a joke, another anandoned Imageworks in the making. Even Test Track is aging and unimpressive. It is a massive mess, and all we’re getting are dollops of IPs and Apple store aesthetics that were current a decade ago. Future World needs to be rebuilt from the ground up (except SSE), and the foundation needs to be a new vision of the park.

Nonja

I really don't undestand what you guys want them to do with EPCOT. The original concept of EPCOT doesn't work in a world with internet. Video killed the radio star and knowledge killed the original concept.

There's nothing Disney can do about it. Is like crying about the closures of Blockbusters. Yeah, I loved going to them as a child and watching all the movies in the shelves and reading all the movie plots before choosing what to take home. But, we are not in 1995 anymore. It's time to move on and assume than EPCOT can't be the same cause people is not interested in it.

Club Cooloholic

I really don't undestand what you guys want them to do with EPCOT. The original concept of EPCOT doesn't work in a world with internet. Video killed the radio star and knowledge killed the original concept.

There's nothing Disney can do about it. Is like crying about the closures of Blockbusters. Yeah, I loved going to them as a child and watching all the movies in the shelves and reading all the movie plots before choosing what to take home. But, we are not in 1995 anymore. It's time to move on and assume than EPCOT can't be the same cause people is not interested in it.
I would say the internet has proven the original concept for Epcot does work. The internet is all about accumulation of knowledge. Epcot was about education and the future. I honestly think what killed this was that constant investment must be made to adhere to changes in technology and possible futures and what we learn of the world today.

Incomudro

I would say the internet has proven the original concept for Epcot does work. The internet is all about accumulation of knowledge. Epcot was about education and the future. I honestly think what killed this was that constant investment must be made to adhere to changes in technology and possible futures and what we learn of the world today.
It works on the internet, where updates occur in real time.
It's much more difficult to make it work in the physical, particularly with attractions that take years to build, and are required to have years in action.
They simply age out, and it's too difficult and costly to keep up with the changes.

Club Cooloholic

It works on the internet, where updates occur in real time.
It's much more difficult to make it work in the physical, particularly with attractions that take years to build, and are required to have years in action.
They simply age out, and it's too difficult and costly to keep up with the changes.
I agree you can't keep up entirely but things such as living in outer space, our oceans and own bodies can be presented and explored in a much more science and learning way and interesting way. Instead we get Guardians of The Galaxy shoe horned in

wserratore1963

EPCOT as we speak still draws over 12 million visits a year (as of 2019) and is #7 in amusement parks visits world wide. MK drew 20 million in 2019. My point is this, yes EPCOT is different than it was my youth when it opened but this redesign along with all the festivals is (in my opinion) going to drive up the fun/desire to visit and in turn drive larger attendance. I think that by the end of 22’ it is going to be a marvelous place to visit/enjoy and relax.
As an adult over the past 20 years it is absolutely my favorite park to have dinner/ Drinks and take in a few attractions.

Lastly I just got back from a 10 day trip on Wednesday and I think harmonious is a home run! Remy is welcome addition and I’m Looking forward to the rest of the rebuild.

Incomudro

I agree you can't keep up entirely but things such as living in outer space, our oceans and own bodies can be presented and explored in a much more science and learning way and interesting way. Instead we get Guardians of The Galaxy shoe horned in
I really don't believe that people really want edutainment like they used to.
Not in a theme park anyway.
I also believe that people really don't believe that we'll be colonizing other planets, or the oceans, as we used to believe.
With that, space in general is represented pretty well by by Mission Mars and Space 220, plus the upcoming Guardians ride.
The oceans are pretty well covered by an aquarium, and Journey of Water will be a beautiful walk through that leads to it.

ImperfectPixie

I really don't believe that people really want edutainment like they used to.
Not in a theme park anyway.
I also believe that people really don't believe that we'll be colonizing other planets, or the oceans, as we used to believe.
With that, space in general is represented pretty well by by Mission Mars and Space 220, plus the upcoming Guardians ride.
The oceans are pretty well covered by an aquarium, and Journey of Water will be a beautiful walk through that leads to it.
There's a whole segment of the population that looks for educational opportunities where most people don't see any - homeschool parents.

And lets not forget parents who aren't against pulling their kids from school...they feel a lot less guilty when they're able to believe that there's an educational aspect to their trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom