News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

vikescaper

Maybe they will use this space to replace the DVC stand and merchandise location that are on the Future Wor….. I mean World Celebration side of the walkway. It’s a fairly decent side space to sit empty.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Since I have not been contacted to help with the redo, I'm assuming it will be an utter failure.

It's likely just paint and more food and beverage locations though.
Disappointing. My kids way back in the day enjoyed it so much. The original one at DTD was also good and the misting giant balls. My kids loved the playground shrunk the kids and Mickeys Birthdayland. Kids need things like these to blow off Steam and cool down.

Soluna16

I guess they are planning on reusing this at the moana section and trying to pretend its a new feature. Its amazing how often people try to pass off old things as new things.
All threads on this forum are full of microaggressions like this. You see people say negative things about literally anything that's done just because the person doesn't agree with any changes.
My point exactly

Disstevefan1

MK has a splash pad.

Epcot had two.

DHS and AK have none.

Removing Epcot's second splash pad isn't extraordinary.
Agreed! Not extraordinary at all! Cutting costs is most important; making money is most important; the shareholder is most important!

Everything else; the guest experience, customer delight, happy children in the splash pads are WAY DOWN in the priory list for TWDC…

James Alucobond

Agreed! Not extraordinary at all! Cutting costs is most important; making money is most important; the shareholder is most important!

Everything else; the guest experience, customer delight, happy children in the splash pads are WAY DOWN in the priory list for TWDC…
What is the basis for your assumption that this is a cost-cutting measure other than general cynicism? Why can't it be about efficient use of space given that this park already has another splash pad? Why do you assume that whatever ultimately inhabits this space won't also potentially delight guests?

Casper Gutman

It takes almost as much gumption to defend EPCOT at this point as it does to charge full price for admission.

The idea that this closed to improve “efficent use of space” in a park that is one massive waste of space due to a giant void at its center and a collection of empty or underused pavilions is absurd.

James Alucobond

The idea that this closed to improve “efficent use of space” in a park that is one massive waste of space due to a giant void at its center and a collection of empty or underused pavilions is absurd.
A splash pad makes sense in a dense area with attractions, restaurants, and playgrounds where younger kids might be waiting for siblings to ride a ride. Kind of like where the other splash pad is. It doesn't make as much sense along an attractionless thoroughfare that people are just using to get from one side of the park to the other.

Disstevefan1

What is the basis for your assumption that this is a cost-cutting measure other than general cynicism? Why can't it be about efficient use of space given that this park already has another splash pad? Why do you assume that whatever ultimately inhabits this space won't also potentially delight guests?
You are right putting a food booth or multiple booths in place of the splash pads is a more efficient use of the space. I can’t argue with that. You remove something that costs the company money to maintain and does not make money and use that space to make money.

Even if they do nothing with the space, they save money on maintenance.

How many children really enjoyed those splash pads anyway?

How many more people will enjoy the $7, $8, $9 samples they purchase from these new food booths. This also creates shareholder delight. This is very important.

Who knows, maybe they will put the benches back. That would be nice.

Casper Gutman

W
A splash pad makes sense in a dense area with attractions, restaurants, and playgrounds where younger kids might be waiting for siblings to ride a ride. Kind of like where the other splash pad is. It doesn't make as much sense along an attractionless thoroughfare that people are just using to get from one side of the park to the other.
Why was it installed there in the first place?

James Alucobond

You are right putting a food booth or multiple booths in place of the splash pads is a more efficient use of the space. I can’t argue with that. You remove something that costs the company money to maintain and does not make money and use that space to make money.

Even if they do nothing with the space, they save money on maintenance.

How many children really enjoyed those splash pads anyway?

How many more people will enjoy the $7, $8, $9 samples they purchase from these new food booths. This also creates shareholder delight. This is very important.

Who knows, maybe they will put the benches back. That would be nice.
I don't deny that using the space to extract more revenue from guests may be one motive, but you seem particularly fixated on that being the only motive. They could also turn this into more space for guest relations, a better photo opp with the Imagination pavilion, or a rest area with more seating capacity/tables and actual shade instead of the weird free-standing slatted overhang thingies.

Why was it installed there in the first place?
Can decisions made in the past never be reassessed and revisited?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1633580550223.png

Club Cooloholic

Disappointing. My kids way back in the day enjoyed it so much. The original one at DTD was also good and the misting giant balls. My kids loved the playground shrunk the kids and Mickeys Birthdayland. Kids need things like these to blow off Steam and cool down.
They really do need to put more playgrounds in. The Honey I Shrunk The Kids playground was one of my kids favorite spots, and it was really well done, there was an quick service right next to it for parents to grab some snacks and drinks and the kids adored the space and just not having to wait in lines. One would think that when they put in toy story this would have been an easy thing to think up, but nope.

Disstevefan1

I don't deny that using the space to extract more revenue from guests may be one motive, but you seem particularly fixated on that being the only motive. They could also turn this into more space for guest relations, a better photo opp with the Imagination pavilion, or a rest area with more seating capacity/tables and actual shade instead of the weird free-standing slatted overhang thingies.

Disney makes rapid change when it’s to improve its bottom line. They only drag their feet when money is going out such as to sub contractors.

I will take your advice and keep an open mind about the splash pad area. Some shaded seating, or just some seating would be nice.

FigmentFan82

I think the changes so far have mostly been good and a great step to the revitalization of EPCOT. I just wish TDO moved above a snails pace when it comes to these things, but I guess we just have to wait. Hoping more of the spine will be open in January

mikejs78

Premium Member

Disney makes rapid change when it’s to improve its bottom line. They only drag their feet when money is going out such as to sub contractors.

I will take your advice and keep an open mind about the splash pad area. Some shaded seating, or just some seating would be nice.
Or, maybe they have another, better splash pad planned in another location...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom