Can someone explain Genie+ to me?

Jrb1979

Is the cost just $15/day to use this? If so, it is not near as high as Universal's Express Pass system. An unlimited Express Pass for one park (no park hopping) more than doubles the $132 per day cost of a ticket. For a single day ticket to one park with an unlimited Express Pass at Universal the cost came to over $287 with tax when I checked yesterday.
It may be cheap price wise but the fact you still can't just walk to any ride whenever you want doesn't make it as good.

GuyFawkes

If you have an Universal AP things get even better. Discounted rooms with express pass for everyone in the room. I stayed at the Portofino which as nice as any Disney hotel for $190 a night one weekend. Pre-pandemic. Add in express passes for 4, it turned out to be a very good deal. This year the AP rates haven't been that great but Universal has had all their hotels open...

SteveAZee

I was wondering if someone can explain Genie+ to me.
Judging by the incorrect or incomplete responses in this thread, clearly it's very difficult to do so, and this among those who are big enough fans to hang out on this site. I can't imagine how difficult it's going to be to explain this to the casual or first time guest.

The Tuna

Simple thought I have had here but what if Disney just planned your whole day out for you? Or your whole trip? A fastpass for every ride essentially if you stay for a week and you can still try to get other fastpasses or pay for them if you want to go on the big rides again. But for the amount, people pay they should get a guarantee of every ride in all four parks in a week without paying extra. Everything is basically pre-planned anyway but it would be nice to know you can get on every ride.

DfromATX

Sounds useless to me, and more importantly, a cash grab. No thanks. As long as you can still grab the maps at the front of the park, that's all I need. If it is the Magic Kingdom I barely need one anyway. Why are people unable to even peel themselves away from their phone while at a theme park? I had no problem navigating the old school way around the park and getting things done. Perhaps I am doing the opposite of what everyone else is and I make up time for it.
I agree the plain Genie (without the upgrade) is worthless. I don't need an app (or whatever it is) to plan my day. As for Genie+, I refuse to buy it because I think it's a 100% money grab and I am very disappointed in it.

MaryJaneP

Is this just the latest move to charging per ride (like the ticket books), is it just the latest hurdle in an attempt to "control" demand so that it can be raised as needed, or is this (as mentioned) a move to pre-plan your entire visit (like ADRs). It seems like it may be co-opted to help dictate worker scheduling as well. Perhaps it is some mixture of these apparent agendas.

Simba's Mom

Is it correct that if you're staying on-site, you can get your first Lighting Lane reservation at 7:00 am? But then you can't get another one until you've used that first one (or at least scanned in via MB for your first one?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is it correct that if you're staying on-site, you can get your first Lighting Lane reservation at 7:00 am? But then you can't get another one until you've used that first one (or at least scanned in via MB for your first one?
From my info/FAQ...

Disney Genie+ [DG+$]
  • Benefit: Lightning Lanes [LL]
    • All guests can schedule their first LL at 7a at WDW. At DL, they can schedule their first LL once in the park.

Individual Attractions Lightning Lanes $elect Experiences (IA$)
  • Disney Resort Guests at WDW can purchase IA$ at 7am day-of.
  • Non-resort-guests at WDW, and everyone at DL, have to wait until the park opens to buy their IA$.

And so, the only benefit from staying 'on site' is if you're purchasing an IA$. Everyone, whether on-site or not can grab their first DG+ LL at 7 AM.

See here for the full Info Summary

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Used to be a line to stand in and that was it. simple, easy.

One thing for certain, the lines, even the long ones, had a better flow to them back in the day. Sure there were long lines then too, but there seemed to be more of a flow to get them moving. In other words, with Fastpass and such there is a lot of stand still time in the lines if you aren't in the Fastpass/Genie line. But even in the old days at Splash Mountain or something like that, you were moving very frequently which at least gave the illusion of the line going quicker. I miss that.

Lilofan

One thing for certain, the lines, even the long ones, had a better flow to them back in the day. Sure there were long lines then too, but there seemed to be more of a flow to get them moving. In other words, with Fastpass and such there is a lot of stand still time in the lines if you aren't in the Fastpass/Genie line. But even in the old days at Splash Mountain or something like that, you were moving very frequently which at least gave the illusion of the line going quicker. I miss that.
And guests actually talked with and made eye contact with other guests instead of now having their face glued into their smartphones.

GuyFawkes

This whole deal is overly complicated for a first time visitor, people on these forums are a different animal.

Is fast pass now gone? With the Genie+ thing you don't have to make reservations or whatever you want to call it months in advance? From my understanding is I can't buy Genie+ till day of? Once I do that I can make one LL and after riding that I can make another etc. etc.? Correct ? But it seems not all rides are covered and some need extra money to get a LL?

The months in advance FP's annoyed me.. I can't see how a person who has never been to Disney World would figure out which rides you need to make FP's for which you don't????? You don't know the weather or anything and you have to decide way in advance.

My problem with that system was sometimes I just show up at Disney World, I live close enough to do that but many rides I had no chance to make a FP. I go with my family so I would need 4 FP's on each ride that was probably booked up months before I even decide to go to DW.

MAYNARDS99

I just hope it all works. Request my top attractions, pool & nap time in the afternoon, something good for dinner, then a spot to watch fireworks, and a few more rides before heading back to the hotel. All planned out by the Genie.

Yellow Shoes

Sounds useless to me, and more importantly, a cash grab. No thanks. As long as you can still grab the maps at the front of the park, that's all I need. If it is the Magic Kingdom I barely need one anyway. Why are people unable to even peel themselves away from their phone while at a theme park? I had no problem navigating the old school way around the park and getting things done. Perhaps I am doing the opposite of what everyone else is and I make up time for it.
Why are people unable to even peel themselves away from their phone while at a theme park?

I would LOVE to, but the current system makes that nearly impossible

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom