MagicBand+ announced

Disneyson

I wish they brought back the 100 Years of Magic pins that effectively did the same thing, as well as some Glow With The Show Dooney and Burke Backpack/Shirts/Etc. If you could wear three or four glow things, I imagine the GP would get the Instagram hint and there would be enough people in the park to actually make the intended effect.

As an aside, I wonder if the bands will do haptics at places like the Seance in Haunted Mansion (cold chills), the Big Thunder “cave-in”, or the Asteroid Impact in Dinosaur. Maybe during the link sequence in Flight of Passage, too. Could help with storytelling.

Patcheslee

The designs are beautiful. Personally the price point that these will be would not be worth it unless they were rechargeable. I'm guessing $79.99+.
The synced mouse ears cost $32. And they have alot less technology.
Personally even if rechargeable for $80, it wouldn't be worth the price because we don't visit often enough. We'd stick with the normal magic bands.

G00fyDad

I don't really need something on my wrist buzzing at me every 5 seconds as I pass something it tries to get me to see. It looks neat but no thanks. And can you imagine when this expensive thing comes off a person's wrist and they don't realize it?

aliceismad

I really like this idea but let's wait to see the cost. Rechargeable I assume?
$49.99?
I don't see an area for recharging capabilities on the side areas. Maybe it's wireless. Or like my fitbit, the charging connection is on the back of the wrist area.
Objectively, everything at WDW is a massive waste of money. We all have the luxury of being able to waste massive amounts of money to purchase happiness.
It's true. My husband once bought my kid one of those ridiculous cinderella bubble wands. That was a fun hour.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It must be rechargeable. I just don't see how it works at all if it is not. The technology exists today and has existed for quite some time. It isn't like it is some sort of crazy leap.

G00fyDad

Ehh, people wear expensive things are on their wrists today. Much much more expensive things.
But they are not held on that wrist only by a flimsy piece of semi-hardened rubber nub, ;) I don't trust this to hold on an expensive piece of tech.
photo.jpg

Of course people can purchase a band belt for the MB but most people will not.

aaronml

I think "replaced" is more accurate than "removed." Depending on the design, they have all sorts of things on the front.

"Massive"?
Custom hardware engineering / manufacturing like this isn’t cheap.

I honestly can’t see these selling very well given how much they’ll cost, the limited extra functionality, and the need to recharge batteries.

Gillyanne

I think this is neat but just not something I care all that much about.
I'm actually trying to find better ways to carry my MB than on my wrist these days.
I'm trying an Etsy magic keeper next trip.

I wear a smart watch, and motion sickness device that's watch like. The sickness device needs to fall in the same place my watch does, so I can't wear them together (plus it has electrodes, and I'm not sure I trust them being on the same wrist). Instead of wearing 3 watch like things, I've used some form of "Magic Band Buddies" for a while. I have a bunch from a company on Etsy (and FB, and their own site) called BDI. They're 2 piece 3D printed holders, the puck slides between the 2 pieces (and is exposed on the one side) and the pieces are held together by a ring. These are more rigid 3D printing and unfortunately after years of use/banging on things, one of the figment horns fell off, but otherwise I think my family ones are all still good (the horns had a thin part to them). I also bought a few from another company (with out looking Cory (maybe) Allen Designs or something) and I really liked those. They were a more pliable 3D print, and only 1 piece, but they haven't been online for a while. IIRC they went on vacation and the shop never came back online... Both of those "buddies" I'd just clip on my backpack/purse on a badge reel and grab it when needed. In addition to those, I also go one of the puck holders that can slide on a watch band. Given the limited need for them my past trip, this was my go to. I also keep that one in my wallet, JIC I ever have some impromptu trip I don't need to dig into my parks box to find another one....

disneygeek90

But I won't be hip.

Nah, I get it though. 'Don't do it if you don't wanna.'

But seriously, yes technology is cool but I feel it may be starting to take away from the parks themselves.
I have a ton of MB's but there's no point in using them anymore now that there's no FP. The only thing I can use it for is tapping into the park. I'd rather just pull out my AP card and be done with it.

As far as these go, I'll probably buy one as long as it's rechargeable.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
But they are not held on that wrist only by a flimsy piece of semi-hardened rubber nub, ;) I don't trust this to hold on an expensive piece of tech.
View attachment 590145

Of course people can purchase a band belt for the MB but most people will not.
This isn't an "expensive piece of tech," it's an LED strip on the same semi-hardened rubber as before. I think people are over-thinking how "advanced" this is, which is while I'm not at pessimistic on the price point as others.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
Custom hardware engineering / manufacturing like this isn’t cheap.

I honestly can’t see these selling very well given how much they’ll cost, the limited extra functionality, and the need to recharge batteries.
We have no idea how much they'll cost.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom