PinPals - Pinball Hub Thread (OPEN BRAINSTORMING)

JokersWild

Original Poster
On the subject of parks, a USH/USF one seems obvious, the main attraction would be the arches.
I’d love a proper BTTF table. I played a digital one, but it wasn’t that good. Past that, Seuss and Lost Continent would be cool to see. And I’m always game for anything Rocky and Bullwinkle. They already have one, but it looked pretty bad when I was watching a video of it.

DashHaber

I’d love a proper BTTF table. I played a digital one, but it wasn’t that good. Past that, Seuss and Lost Continent would be cool to see. And I’m always game for anything Rocky and Bullwinkle. They already have one, but it looked pretty bad when I was watching a video of it.
Agreed on Rocky and Bullwinkle, along with BTTF. There are some properties that have had pinball machines in the past that sorely need a new machine either from how long it's been or how weak the earlier one was. For example, Popeye dearly needs a good pinball machine after the terrible execution that was Popeye Saves the Earth.

JokersWild

Original Poster
Agreed on Rocky and Bullwinkle, along with BTTF. There are some properties that have had pinball machines in the past that sorely need a new machine either from how long it's been or how weak the earlier one was. For example, Popeye dearly needs a good pinball machine after the terrible execution that was Popeye Saves the Earth.
I keep hearing super mixed things, but I love the art and actual design. Popeye definitely needs to be done justice. I’d kill for Dudley Do-Right too.

DashHaber

I keep hearing super mixed things, but I love the art and actual design. Popeye definitely needs to be done justice. I’d kill for Dudley Do-Right too.
Dudley Do-Right would be a lot of fun. Definitely imagining some sort of wire form or ramp themed to railroad tracks for the classic "damsel tied to the tracks" situation.

Superman is another one that had a table back in the day, but I feel like you could make a really fun table today with him. You could do modes involving him covering a story with Lois, maybe dealing with some catastrophe in Metropolis, or something involving villains like Parasite or Metallo. Heck, you could have a fun mode involving a run-in with Mr. Mxyzptlk perhaps interfering with your controls or the table lights. Have it all lead up to a wizard mode that's a showdown with Lex Luthor.

DashHaber

So, I had an interesting thought for a pinball machine: Cuphead.

So, that game is really known for its use of old 1930s animation styles. Well, what if we used 1930s pinball styles in conjunction with modern pinball tech? I know old-school pinball was much more pure luck, with no flippers and the player just shooting balls out onto the table to sink in holes for points. Well, we keep the modern elements like flippers for skills and accessibility, but maybe have a raised "boss fight" table where you try to sink the ball into different cups to score damage against the bosses.

Last edited:

DashHaber

@JokersWild does have a good point about how animation seems to be a neglected avenue for pinball tables. There are a few IPs in those avenues that I think could make for some fun themes.

Disney:
Gravity Falls
DuckTales
Darkwing Duck
Alice in Wonderland (1951 film)

Anime:
Sailor Moon
Lupin III
Dragon Ball Z

JokersWild

Original Poster
@JokersWild does have a good point about how animation seems to be a neglected avenue for pinball tables. There are a few IPs in those avenues that I think could make for some fun themes.

Disney:
Gravity Falls
DuckTales
Darkwing Duck
Alice in Wonderland (1951 film)

Anime:
Sailor Moon
Lupin III
Dragon Ball Z
Anime is a great medium to look at too. There are like a million anime pachinko machines, but zero pinball. I think all three that you mentioned would work really well. Dragon Ball is a really natural fit. I'd also really love to see One Piece, or even something like Cowboy Bebop or Evangelion.

DashHaber

Anime is a great medium to look at too. There are like a million anime pachinko machines, but zero pinball. I think all three that you mentioned would work really well. Dragon Ball is a really natural fit. I'd also really love to see One Piece, or even something like Cowboy Bebop or Evangelion.
Totally. Dragon Ball would make for such a good fit. Maybe have some element to reflect collecting the dragonballs, some modes based around battles with villains, perhaps a spinner you'd have to fire the ball through to charge up the Kamehameha.

I can just imagine an Evangelion pinball machine with Gendo Ikari glaring down at the player, silently judging their pinball skill.

D Hulk

Oh hey, guess what…

I’M GETTING A PINBALL MACHINE!

Behold, Mars: God of War, a 1981 Gottlieb.

10458_0.jpg

Long story behind this. A month before the pandemic quarantines started back in 2020, I participated in a great big buy-in pinball tournament. It was a fairly major event, with several pro pinheads even flying in from Seattle, plus a smattering of outclassed local rookies like myself. I’d played in the year before as well, where I placed dead last! 😭

But one year of training can make a huge difference (along with a smart strategy in a three-strikes elimination bracket). After a dozen grueling hours of pinball action, I made it to the finals…and placed second overall! 🤯 The grand prize was this Mars machine; I merely won cash. But Josh, the guy who bested me, he’s moving and no longer has room for Mars, so I’m next in the line of succession. The delivery is tomorrow.

Disney Dad 3000

Oh hey, guess what…

I’M GETTING A PINBALL MACHINE!

Behold, Mars: God of War, a 1981 Gottlieb.

10458_0.jpg

Long story behind this. A month before the pandemic quarantines started back in 2020, I participated in a great big buy-in pinball tournament. It was a fairly major event, with several pro pinheads even flying in from Seattle, plus a smattering of outclassed local rookies like myself. I’d played in the year before as well, where I placed dead last! 😭

But one year of training can make a huge difference (along with a smart strategy in a three-strikes elimination bracket). After a dozen grueling hours of pinball action, I made it to the finals…and placed second overall! 🤯The grand prize was this Mars machine; I merely won cash. But Josh, the guy who bested me, he’s moving and no longer has room for Mars, so I’m next in the line of succession. The delivery is tomorrow.

I know it will be killing you to arrive right before you go out of town. lol

Still very cool!

Miru

Danganronpa would be a pretty good mine for pinball ideas. The executions would make great play field toys, with plenty of associated bonuses. Scenes involving the 48 Ultimates could also be triggered. Perhaps also Komaru? A Digimon pinball table could have you raise a Digimon using pinball progress, with the goal being to obtain as many as possible.

JokersWild

Original Poster
Fun surprise from the middle of the Japanese countryside

8B3F64FC-465C-40AF-834D-9009850FA8B8.jpeg

A pretty old Gottlieb Pioneer hanging out in an America-themed bar. I don’t think I’ve ever played an old pinball machine like this (other than Hercules,) but it was fun. I think I still prefer the newer goal-oriented games.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom