working out for Disney

epcotisbest

Although that sounds wonderful, I doubt it would work for me. From what I've seen, the charcoal I use (Kingsford Match Light--no lighter fluid needed) lasts for about 2-2 1/2 hours in my Weber. Then they just burn out. So the longest I ever grill anything is up to an hour at the most.
Yeah, you cannot do a low and slow cook with match light.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Hi, Disney workout peeps!!

Search tells me that I've been absent from this thread for 2 years :eek: which is about how long I've been neglecting myself. :) The first of those 2 years was spent looking after my only sibling, younger brother, a retired NYPD sergeant who was stricken with cancer due to his duties as a 9/11 responder, and the second year has been spent looking after his estate after he passed away after a brief but savage 1-year illness.

Anyway, for the past few months I've been trying to commit to getting back to looking after myself. Taking 2 years off from consistent exercise is not only not good physically, it's not good mentally. I always enjoyed my morning workouts, but when you're not sleeping well, whether from grief or stress, it's not easy to get up in the mornings.

So I'm really proud that I've gotten up every day this week and done a workout. They've only been 10 minute workouts, which is pathetic, but something's better than nothing!! I've got a DCL girls cruise next month ;) and want to be able to not only do my usual morning power walk along the promenade deck, but attend the early morning classes at the gym. On last year's cruise, I went to an abs class and totally embarrassed myself with my inability to keep up.

Thankfully, during all of the "no exercise", I have eaten well, so I don't have a lot of weight to lose, just some flab to firm up! This evening, I pan-roasted a variety of tomatoes from my garden into a crudo sauce and put it over a nice flounder fillet cooked in the same pan (less cleanup!!) which I am now trying to defend from a certain Maine Coone kitty who thinks that he should get to share in any and all dinners that interest him--he is especially fond of fish and lamb.

Looking forward to diving back in here with you lovely folks!!

Last edited:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Read back a couple pages to get current, so:

@Sans Souci sending supportive thoughts during your difficult move. Although I've straddled two countries all my life, I can only imagine how troubling it must be to uproot yourself like that. :cry::inlove:

@epcotisbest I think you might want to consider changing your user name to "Grillmaster". I was really impressed with that bacon-wrapped pork tenderloin. Sadly, last year (or maybe the year before, it's fuzzy) we switched from a Weber charcoal grill to a gas grill. I'd always resisted the gas, because to me it was basically cooking on the kitchen stove without the pan. But with only two of us in the house, gas is conducive to grilling more often. Took too much time and effort to fire up the charcoal grill for just us.

Last edited:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Welcome back! The more the merrier on here. Plus, I figure if I read enough good exercise stories, I might actually start working out myself--one of these days . . ! :happy:

As the girls on my current workout DVDs say, you can find 10 minutes, and 10 minutes is all it takes...;)

Check out Jessica Smith on YouTube. She is so personable, and has workouts for every level, some as brief as 8 minutes. I love her. :) I own a number of her DVDs, but her YouTube workouts are free. I follow her on Instagram, too.

I was really surprised when I came back to this thread, to see that I had posted on page 1! In fact, by the first several pages @figmentfan423 was telling me to ease off on my workouts while at WDW and just enjoy my vacation! I actually like to work out on vacation, I feel that I can have the extra dessert. ;) I was at WDW this past April for a long weekend, and brought some workout DVDs and actually did them each morning--and then when I got back home it was right back to Slugville. Not this time, though!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
As the girls on my current workout DVDs say, you can find 10 minutes, and 10 minutes is all it takes...;)

Check out Jessica Smith on YouTube. She is so personable, and has workouts for every level, some as brief as 8 minutes. I love her. :) I own a number of her DVDs, but her YouTube workouts are free. I follow her on Instagram, too.

I was really surprised when I came back to this thread, to see that I had posted on page 1! In fact, by the first several pages @figmentfan423 was telling me to ease off on my workouts while at WDW and just enjoy my vacation! I actually like to work out on vacation, I feel that I can have the extra dessert. ;) I was at WDW this past April for a long weekend, and brought some workout DVDs and actually did them each morning--and then when I got back home it was right back to Slugville. Not this time, though!

An 8 minute workout sounds great! :D (Oh, I don't sit all day--I'm running around on public transportation from train stations or bus stops. At work I move around a lot, and on the weekends, I go hike in the woods nearby, or ride my bike. I'm just not a gym person.) I really do like reading about what others enjoy (or tolerate) in their physical exercise routines, and also what people like to eat or cook to watch their weight. @figmentfan423 is really good for tips about exercise and meals. She's on vacation now, but she'll be back in another week to rejoin the thread. :cat:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
An 8 minute workout sounds great! :D (Oh, I don't sit all day--I'm running around on public transportation from train stations or bus stops. At work I move around a lot, and on the weekends, I go hike in the woods nearby, or ride my bike. I'm just not a gym person.) I really do like reading about what others enjoy (or tolerate) in their physical exercise routines, and also what people like to eat or cook to watch their weight. @figmentfan423 is really good for tips about exercise and meals. She's on vacation now, but she'll be back in another week to rejoin the thread. :cat:

I'm not a gym person either! I'd much rather exercise at home, which is why I have lots of workout DVDs. :) I need someone to tell me what to do, and I can't afford a personal trainer. ;)

I had a fitbit to count my steps, but I lost it. My phone will count steps, but I don't have it on my person all day as I walk around my office--I'll walk to people to talk in person instead of call them.

I'd love to hike, and am less than 30 minutes from an entry to the Appalachian Trail, but no one wants to go with me. I'm in "not quite upstate" NY, and I think you're in Massachusetts? Whereabouts? I used to drive to Boston often when I had an office there, loved that, it was an easy drive and Boston is a great walking city.

93boomer

Premium Member

Search tells me that I've been absent from this thread for 2 years :eek: which is about how long I've been neglecting myself. :) The first of those 2 years was spent looking after my only sibling, younger brother, a retired NYPD sergeant who was stricken with cancer due to his duties as a 9/11 responder, and the second year has been spent looking after his estate after he passed away after a brief but savage 1-year illness.

Anyway, for the past few months I've been trying to commit to getting back to looking after myself. Taking 2 years off from consistent exercise is not only not good physically, it's not good mentally. I always enjoyed my morning workouts, but when you're not sleeping well, whether from grief or stress, it's not easy to get up in the mornings.

So I'm really proud that I've gotten up every day this week and done a workout. They've only been 10 minute workouts, which is pathetic, but something's better than nothing!! I've got a DCL girls cruise next month ;) and want to be able to not only do my usual morning power walk along the promenade deck, but attend the early morning classes at the gym. On last year's cruise, I went to an abs class and totally embarrassed myself with my inability to keep up.

Thankfully, during all of the "no exercise", I have eaten well, so I don't have a lot of weight to lose, just some flab to firm up! This evening, I pan-roasted a variety of tomatoes from my garden into a crudo sauce and put it over a nice flounder fillet cooked in the same pan (less cleanup!!) which I am now trying to defend from a certain Maine **** who thinks that he should get to share in any and all dinners that interest him--he is especially fond of fish and lamb.

Welcome back home!!

epcotisbest

I'm not a gym person either! I'd much rather exercise at home, which is why I have lots of workout DVDs. :) I need someone to tell me what to do, and I can't afford a personal trainer. ;)

I had a fitbit to count my steps, but I lost it. My phone will count steps, but I don't have it on my person all day as I walk around my office--I'll walk to people to talk in person instead of call them.

I'd love to hike, and am less than 30 minutes from an entry to the Appalachian Trail, but no one wants to go with me. I'm in "not quite upstate" NY, and I think you're in Massachusetts? Whereabouts? I used to drive to Boston often when I had an office there, loved that, it was an easy drive and Boston is a great walking city.
We hike the AT too. Funny we hike the same trail as you yet we are probably 1500 miles away! Day hikes are fun, but we have never done any long distance hikes.

Sans Souci

Thankfully, during all of the "no exercise", I have eaten well, so I don't have a lot of weight to lose, just some flab to firm up! This evening, I pan-roasted a variety of tomatoes from my garden into a crudo sauce and put it over a nice flounder fillet cooked in the same pan (less cleanup!!) which I am now trying to defend from a certain Maine Coone kitty who thinks that he should get to share in any and all dinners that interest him--he is especially fond of fish and lamb.

It's good to see you back here! :)

Sans Souci

Hello-

I have not been working out, but I have been crazy busy. The movers left Wednesday morning, I cleaned house all day and flew that evening. I was totally exhausted, physically and emotionally yesterday, so I did nothing. We closed on the new house this AM and I am going to clean a bit in a few hours. Our stuff doesn't arrive until Tuesday, so I am planning to go in every day to prepare it, bit by bit. So, while I am not working out, I am still active. I am going to post more often as things fall into place. :)

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Hello-

I have not been working out, but I have been crazy busy. The movers left Wednesday morning, I cleaned house all day and flew that evening. I was totally exhausted, physically and emotionally yesterday, so I did nothing. We closed on the new house this AM and I am going to clean a bit in a few hours. Our stuff doesn't arrive until Tuesday, so I am planning to go in every day to prepare it, bit by bit. So, while I am not working out, I am still active. I am going to post more often as things fall into place. :)

Jen, I can't even imagine flying, closing and cleaning in the same day. So exhausting. Get settled and save some energy for the dance floor, girl!! We cruise next month!!! So looking forward to it, and to seeing you. :inlove: Girls Cruise will give you back your mojo. ;) They better have fixed Evolution. :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom