working out for Disney

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I haven't worked out yet today. I am 2/3 of the way through a 108 day power yoga program called Ultimate Yogi. I follow a set rotation. Today is "Gentle Yoga", so I like to do that one before bed.

I used to all kinds of high intensity, high impact cardio and lift weights, but then my knee betrayed me. :( I used to scoff at yoga, but this program is no joke. I like it because I do not get as hungry as I did when I was going full-bore. I have leaned out a bit more and I can see more of the muscle definition I worked so hard to create.

I also wear a Fit Bit and aim for a minimum of 10K steps/day. I have it linked to My Fitness Pal, where I track my eats.

I never scoffed at yoga, but I'm afraid to try by following a DVD. I just have a feeling that if you don't do it right, you could hurt yourself. And there's no convenient yoga practice near me, they're all during the day while I'm at work.

Which FIRMs do you have? There is a place online where you can buy the old Anna Benson FIRMS. Someone is converting the VHS videos into DVD format, in case you were interested. There is a renewed interest in them, apparently. :)

Most of 'em! I still have the old Classic Firms 3-6, plus the Trainers series Tortoise & Hare/Strength & Cardio. They are good workouts, in spite of the 90s workout wear. I've been replacing my old VHS tapes one a month from Collage Video. Gaiam had bought the rights some time ago and has been making the new FIRM videos, and I'm so glad they've responded to us old "FIRM Believers" and put the classic ones out on DVD!

Sans Souci

I never scoffed at yoga, but I'm afraid to try by following a DVD. I just have a feeling that if you don't do it right, you could hurt yourself. And there's no convenient yoga practice near me, they're all during the day while I'm at work.

Most of 'em! I still have the old Classic Firms 3-6, plus the Trainers series Tortoise & Hare/Strength & Cardio. They are good workouts, in spite of the 90s workout wear. I've been replacing my old VHS tapes one a month from Collage Video. Gaiam had bought the rights some time ago and has been making the new FIRM videos, and I'm so glad they've responded to us old "FIRM Believers" and put the classic ones out on DVD!

Sorry, that sounded really insensitive of me. :( I was once went to a class that was nothing but chanting, headstands and burning patchouli incense. It wasn't for me and it put me off yoga for a long time. I felt totally out of my depth.

I don't know if you know about Fitness Favorites. It's a one woman operation and she is (legally) converting the old FIRMs. I have only used the Body Sculpting Systems, but I keep looking at the older ones. I know of so many people who got in great shape using them back in the day. I can get past the older sets and music. Your muscles can't see them, anyway.

I also order from Collage and I am active on their forum. :)

acishere

I haven't been to the gym since mid-January. I think winter has turned me into a hermit. Probably should go back to putting it in my schedule. Setting my computer to yell at me a few times a week seems to be good motivation.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Glad to see your all so motavated. This is not a compitition you are working towards your best you! Whats matters most here is cheering each other on. Movig for mind and body is for life and the fact we'll be able to better enjoy Disney best extra there is! Today I'm full of energy this thread is going to keep my routine from getting stale thanks @Sans Souci for a great idea!! Everybody CLAP LOUDLY for her YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As I said woke up with a lot of energy and Zumba Rush Kinnect for the first time in quite a while (feel it in my sides) followed by a Leslie Sansone 5mi power walk. So get moving walking , aerobics, yoga, weight lifting, machines it doesn't matter. Let's get healthier!!!!

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
I haven't worked out yet today. I am 2/3 of the way through a 108 day power yoga program called Ultimate Yogi. I follow a set rotation. Today is "Gentle Yoga", so I like to do that one before bed.

I used to all kinds of high intensity, high impact cardio and lift weights, but then my knee betrayed me. :( I used to scoff at yoga, but this program is no joke. I like it because I do not get as hungry as I did when I was going full-bore. I have leaned out a bit more and I can see more of the muscle definition I worked so hard to create.

I also wear a Fit Bit and aim for a minimum of 10K steps/day. I have it linked to My Fitness Pal, where I track my eats.
I looked up Ultimate Yogi last night it looks amazing! It looks like something I might consider adding to my collection in the future but I've done yoga before and I am really a beginner. How hard is it?

bsiev1977

I'm thinking about setting a small daily goal maybe about a minute or 2 a day for those of you who have no routine what so ever. Feedback please. Something like 1 day 10 crunches another day jog in place for a minute easy stuff to get started.

Right now i'm doing at least 2 half hour sessions on the treadmill each day. One weekends i'll try and fit in at least one more. Right now i'm going no higher than a 3.5mph pace, but am varying incline anywhere from 1 to 10.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Morning Figgy! Just remember to stretch gently before you start your workouts! It will warm and loosen your muscles before you start. Walking is good for those that can't run.
Thnx all my workout dvds have a warm up in them and the Zumba Rush starts off with a slower song. Hear that don't forget to warm up THANK YOU @93boomer YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sans Souci

I looked up Ultimate Yogi last night it looks amazing! It looks like something I might consider adding to my collection in the future but I've done yoga before and I am really a beginner. How hard is it?

It's challenging for me and that is just one of the reasons I love it. It totally redefined yoga for me. It requires a lot of upper body strength. I have been lifting heavy weights for over 10 years and this some of the practices in this set just slay me (in a good way, of course!). I have been sleeping better and drinking less booze since I started. I feel like I am more mindful of things like appetite and I gravitate towards better choices. I feel so alert, yet relaxed when I am done. :)

I have been doing yoga on and off for a year. I started with Flow Yoga for Beginners with Shiva Rea and Pure and Simple Yoga with Eoin Finn. But Travis Eliot (the Ultimate Yogi guy) has a DVD called Yoga Foundations that takes the poses you will see in the UY DVDs goes through them slowly so you can build that foundation to start UY. I just love Travis' style.

Don't order from Travis' site! It's good to look at to get a feel for the program, but there are places that are cheaper. I can send you links if you are interested.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
It's challenging for me and that is just one of the reasons I love it. It totally redefined yoga for me. It requires a lot of upper body strength. I have been lifting heavy weights for over 10 years and this some of the practices in this set just slay me (in a good way, of course!). I have been sleeping better and drinking less booze since I started. I feel like I am more mindful of things like appetite and I gravitate towards better choices. I feel so alert, yet relaxed when I am done. :)

I have been doing yoga on and off for a year. I started with Flow Yoga for Beginners with Shiva Rea and Pure and Simple Yoga with Eoin Finn. But Travis Eliot (the Ultimate Yogi guy) has a DVD called Yoga Foundations that takes the poses you will see in the UY DVDs goes through them slowly so you can build that foundation to start UY. I just love Travis' style.

Don't order from Travis' site! It's good to look at to get a feel for the program, but there are places that are cheaper. I can send you links if you are interested.
Thanks I'm very interested not sure if I'm going to do it but I'm always looking. I've added a Yoga Works beginner and body slim for one of my weekend days. Sue had mentioned yoga a while back so I just started back a few weekends ago.

DisneyDebNJ

This is for us nonrunners to help keep up with working out! I'll start This morning I got up and did No More Trouble Zones Jillian Michaels 5lbs shoulders 8lbs everything else followed by 5 mile advanced Leslie Sansone!
I have a gym here at home, and once I hit the 180 mark, hit that puppy with all I have!! Especially the eliptical to help build my leg muscles (I have sciatica that developed about a yr and a half ago) I hoof it to fast music!!! Before I leave for vacation, I visit my chiropractor too! (hey doesnt hurt! LOL) I always try to lose about 10 lbs before vacation too, any extra weight aggravates the sciatica. Once I hit Disney soil, I lose my mind!!!

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
I have a gym here at home, and once I hit the 180 mark, hit that puppy with all I have!! Especially the eliptical to help build my leg muscles (I have sciatica that developed about a yr and a half ago) I hoof it to fast music!!! Before I leave for vacation, I visit my chiropractor too! (hey doesnt hurt! LOL) I always try to lose about 10 lbs before vacation too, any extra weight aggravates the sciatica. Once I hit Disney soil, I lose my mind!!!
You go girl!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom