Did you like Happily Ever After?

• Yes

Votes: 645 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 81 10.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 65 8.2%

• Total voters
I'm so worried. I have a fear that they will do what they did to the villain songs in Hallowishes fireworks. (You know, NOT the original songs from the films, but they sound like some horrible techno remix sung by some random pop singers).
I get pretty emotional watching Wishes and I think it's because it hits all the right nostalgic notes. I fear that may be over. I hope I'm wrong. I hope I eat my words. That would make me very happy.

Notes from Neverland

That "other site" is showing pictures of work being done to the tops of various buildings for what is supposedly this show. Any users around here able to add on to that?

whitemagic

To be fair, 40 seconds is not exactly good judging material. At first "glance", it seems they're under qualified. But, repeated listening and an anticipation to hear what they'll do for the finale should help stem the blow. (after Disneyland Forever, standards are high)

The vocalists who sang "Live the Magic" in Disneyland Forever were/are even less well known than the singers in the Happily Ever After. Jordan Fisher is an alumnus of several Disney Channel shows, was in the soundtrack for Moana doing a cover of "You're Welcome" [TY maroonmol] with Lin Manuel Miranda, and has been in "Hamilton" on Broadway. Angie Keilhauer was on the The Voice and is an up and coming country artist.

But yes, 40 seconds is not enough to judge by. :)

Last edited:

mickeyfan5534

So I've lost all faith in Imagineering's show writing after seeing Disney Illuminations in Paris. Let's hope Orlando can show Imagineering how to do a real show.

maroonmol

Jordan Fisher is an alumnus of several Disney Channel shows, was in the soundtrack for Moana doing a cover of "Thank You" with Lin Manuel Miranda, and has been in "Hamilton" on Broadway.

Not to be that person, but he sings a cover of "You're Welcome", Thank You isn't a song in Moana. :)

whitemagic

Oops! You would think having heard it 100 times in the last few months, I wouldn't have missed that as I was typing fast. Must have been some revisionist subliminal thinking. :)

rushtest4echo

I'm so worried. I have a fear that they will do what they did to the villain songs in Hallowishes fireworks. (You know, NOT the original songs from the films, but they sound like some horrible techno remix sung by some random pop singers).
I get pretty emotional watching Wishes and I think it's because it hits all the right nostalgic notes. I fear that may be over. I hope I'm wrong. I hope I eat my words. That would make me very happy.

You won't be eating your words. :(

rushtest4echo

OLC has next-to-nothing to do with show development for Tokyo Disney Resort. That's all Disney for the most part.

The only show development OLC does is insisting that characters be crammed into the most inopportune moments of shows that they shouldn't be a part of in the first place. I know OLC never ever does anything wrong- but I'd hate to see how much the shows here would devolve into a character parade if they took over that stuff here in the States.

mickeyfan5534

The only show development OLC does is insisting that characters be crammed into the most inopportune moments of shows that they shouldn't be a part of in the first place. I know OLC never ever does anything wrong- but I'd hate to see how much the shows here would devolve into a character parade if they took over that stuff here in the States.
Most OLC shows have Mickey and Co and normally add in park exclusive characters created for those shows but other than that because that's the standard they've set and the merch of characters in those costumes sell extremely well. The States are far more guilty of this than OLC with less reason to show.

JediMasterMatt

I've been quiet on this topic for a couple of reasons:

- Wishes has played an important part of my Disney Parks nighttime spectacular photography obsession (see the avatar snap) and I've racked up countless dollars and hours trying to perfect my craft. This last trip to WDW in January I think finally nailed down this show once and for all.
- I wanted to wait until I heard more about the show until I shared my thoughts.

First off the good news, based on everything I've heard, the show will be really entertaining and tap into all of the tricks in the current arsenal available to the MK (including the new spot lights). Change is always welcome after this many years with the same show. Creative has learned over the course of many projection mapping attempts what works and what doesn't on the Castle (big patterns over small details - Magic, Memories, and You and its photos come to mind). There is no doubt that the A/V part of HEA will be top notch. 17 minutes in length could be a great things as well... but, keep reading.

Of course, you can't always get what you want (at least that's what Keith and Mick taught me) and there are a few concerns that I have that won't be alleviated until the show makes its debut. The aforementioned positive attribute of 17 minutes could be a great thing... if it wasn't for what I've heard about the pyro budget. Little chirps of information that I've been told equated this to 12 minutes of butter spread over 17 minutes of bread. I hope this isn't true. The resort needs a pyro focused show. Illuminations has long stretches without pyro. Festival of Light will never have pyro and the DHS Star Wars flavor of the day has a Spartan amount (you could always count the number of shells on your fingers and toes). I'm hoping that the show gets the budget it deserves for the extended length. This brings up the sub topic of pryo budget, the types of pryo on offer. Again, just going off the minimal information I've been told, one approach to increase the volume of shells on offer is to reduce down the variety of shells being used. This is something that could be good (as Disneyland doesn't usually use a great variety and usually goes for more volume); but, it all comes down to filling out the entire show with enough density to be a true successor to Wishes. The key is the budget. Hopefully CE won this battle.

The other thing you need to keep in mind is that HEA will likely take over all of the nighttime entertainment for the MK for quite some time. No parade in the near future and the plan was to have this replace Wishes and Once Upon a Time (which after several projection mapping attempts finally gets the puzzle right).

The other bit of news about HEA is that it is on offer as a stop gap solution until the 50th; but, short term solutions have a tendency to stick around long past their shelf life at WDW.

All in all, I'm quite hopeful that HEA will be a worthy successor to Wishes. It has a very good chance at being quite spectacular.

rushtest4echo

I've been quiet on this topic for a couple of reasons:
Of course, you can't always get what you want (at least that's what Keith and Mick taught me) and there are a few concerns that I have that won't be alleviated until the show makes its debut. The aforementioned positive attribute of 17 minutes could be a great thing... if it wasn't for what I've heard about the pyro budget. Little chirps of information that I've been told equated this to 12 minutes of butter spread over 17 minutes of bread. I hope this isn't true.

For those who want solely fireworks, I could see that being a disappointment. However, I'd gladly trade 100 shells for proper projections, lasers, spotlights and other stuff. Believe at Disneyland had far superior fireworks than Remember, but Remember blew the doors off of Believe because of everything beyond the pyro. As long as they can deliver on everything else, I welcome a reduced usage of shells as long as there's something else to see that's as compelling. Remember had eons of downtime and people still think it's by far the strongest show Disneyland has ever done for a fireworks display.

The resort needs a pyro focused show. Illuminations has long stretches without pyro. Festival of Light will never have pyro and the DHS Star Wars flavor of the day has a Spartan amount (you could always count the number of shells on your fingers and toes). I'm hoping that the show gets the budget it deserves for the extended length.
550 pyro shells is spartan for Star Wars? Or ROE's 1,000+ launches of 2,800 shells? The aerials are obviously fewer than MK's and aren't as large especially for ROE, but for shows that have all of the offerings that Star Wars and ROE bring to the table, the aerials aren't even the main event. It's ridiculous to think they're lacking for those shows.

I guess I can see your reasoning in calling for MK's to be an aerial pyro focused show compared to the others, but I don't think anyone feels that the other shows are so dependent on good display of aerials. If MK can deliver on everything else, then the show is moving from an aerial pyro focused show to more in line with the other parks. I'd welcome that change, though I can understand why some just want a fireworks show.

This brings up the sub topic of pryo budget, the types of pryo on offer. Again, just going off the minimal information I've been told, one approach to increase the volume of shells on offer is to reduce down the variety of shells being used. This is something that could be good (as Disneyland doesn't usually use a great variety and usually goes for more volume); but, it all comes down to filling out the entire show with enough density to be a true successor to Wishes. The key is the budget. Hopefully CE won this battle.

Funny, I always thought that DL's fireworks offerings were a bit "spartan" compared to Wishes. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

The other thing you need to keep in mind is that HEA will likely take over all of the nighttime entertainment for the MK for quite some time. No parade in the near future and the plan was to have this replace Wishes and Once Upon a Time (which after several projection mapping attempts finally gets the puzzle right).

The other bit of news about HEA is that it is on offer as a stop gap solution until the 50th; but, short term solutions have a tendency to stick around long past their shelf life at WDW.

All in all, I'm quite hopeful that HEA will be a worthy successor to Wishes. It has a very good chance at being quite spectacular.

Everything's a stopgap, until it isn't. People assumed ROE would go away after 2000. People thought Wishes was due for a change in 2010 and here we finally are in 2017. If it's a good show, I hope it sticks around. Disneyland was saddled with two AWFUL follow ups to Remember over the last few years. Glad to see they've realized how turrible those piles of garbage were and have gone back to showing Remember.

i'll be interested to see how many shells really are used in the new show, compared to how many minutes of time are occupied with projections and the like. Wishes runtime: shells used per minute is around 60 for an 11:30 minute show. If it's around 650 shells for the new show, but is 5 minutes longer, then the ratio obviously goes down. If they cut it down to say 500 shells for a 18 minute show, then you're really getting to a ratio of half what Wishes was.

It seems like I don't need to be concerned nomatter what happens. I won't need to be disappointed with a reduction in pyro because I'm probably going to drop dead in the middle of the hub before the show ends. My ears will be bleeding about 2 minutes into the show from how bad all of the pop music stuff I've heard is- even worse than the Holiday shows. ;)

Last edited:

rushtest4echo

Just checked to be sure

around 330 aerials for Wishes (discounting Roman Candles, Comets, and Pearls)
around 280 for IllumiNations (not counting the same)
around 250 for Star Wars (again discounting the little stuff)
around 400 aerials for Remember (so I did remember wrong, apologies)

I guess we'll see how many aerials are used for this one, and how they're used.

One thing we already knew though- any cutbacks won't be due to pollution credits or any of that nonsense especially if Disneyland can put up 400 large ones for Remember. Then again, Disneyland has the horrid policy of only showing Fireworks around 70% of the year so it's not really comparable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom