Will Carnival Cruise Incident Affect Disney Cruise Line?

Will the bad publicity of the Carnival Triumph Cruise spill over onto the Disney Cruise Line?

• Total voters

BenSmith

Most Carnival clients never have and likely never will cruise Disney. They choose Carnival for one reason - it's cheap. Disney isn't cheap. However when you are talking about better value, Disney wins. People need to understand the difference.

Which product has a better value?

1. a cruise with no power, broken toilets and a better chance of being stranded at sea or in another country leaving long-lasting horrible memories with a cost of $500

2. A cruise with excellent service, no mechanical issues, magical moments that make for long-lasting pleasant memories with a cost of $1500
Thats not fair. You have a very small chance of being stranded, I've had great experiences on Carnival cruises. Carnival cruises are still fun. Of course their not the most luxurious, but their not terrible.

EDIT: Another one! hopefully they'll dock all the ships

Tonka's Skipper

Its now reported by the USCG the Carnival Dream lied to the USCG about the problems.......seems Carnival Inc. didn't learn anything from the lies the Concordia captian told to the Italian CG

Initial reports concerning the ship's delay have come directly from passengers onboard, according to the United States Coast Guard and other sources.

Petty Officer Jon-Paul Rios, USCG, told Cruise Critic:: "The Coast Guard was notified at 3 a.m. from a passenger reporting overflowing sewage and power outages onboard the vessel Carnival Dream.

"We contacted the cruise ship captain directly and asked what the situation was. He told us there was no problem with power or sewage, and that the main generator is fully operational. The only casualty is the propulsion system … The ship is unable to leave port until they are able to fix the problem, and staff are keeping everyone onboard for accountability purposes."

Does give you something to think about...........do the Officers have a script????

AKK

sweetpee_1993

Its now reported by the USCG the Carnival Dream lied to the USCG about the problems.......seems Carnival Inc. didn't learn anything from the lies the Concordia captian told to the Italian CG

Initial reports concerning the ship's delay have come directly from passengers onboard, according to the United States Coast Guard and other sources.
Petty Officer Jon-Paul Rios, USCG, told Cruise Critic:: "The Coast Guard was notified at 3 a.m. from a passenger reporting overflowing sewage and power outages onboard the vessel Carnival Dream.
"We contacted the cruise ship captain directly and asked what the situation was. He told us there was no problem with power or sewage, and that the main generator is fully operational. The only casualty is the propulsion system … The ship is unable to leave port until they are able to fix the problem, and staff are keeping everyone onboard for accountability purposes."
Does give you something to think about...........do the Officers have a script????
AKK

Oh my.

Are there repercussions for lying to the USCG? Is there any authority even if the ship is not registered in the US and the ship was not in the US when this occured? OH! The guys who rent our house are USCG and one of them is prepping to enter law school with a goal of specializing in marine law! I needed to talk to them anyway. ;)

Tonka's Skipper

When I was at SEA..you
Oh my.

Are there repercussions for lying to the USCG? Is there any authority even if the ship is not registered in the US and the ship was not in the US when this occured? OH! The guys who rent our house are USCG and one of them is prepping to enter law school with a goal of specializing in marine law! I needed to talk to them anyway. ;)
When I was sailing, you never lied to the USCG...it can come back and bite you hard....but Carnival is a major Line...I really don't know if there is going to be a fine or whatever....that is up to the men and ladies in blue!

I_heart_Tigger

None of this surprises me given their terrible reputation. Remember people this is the same company where a captain hit the shoreline in Italy killing 32 people, 3 months later they had a ship catch fire which spent several days drfting at sea with no power, then we get the four recent incidents: engine room fire leaving ship adrift in the Gulf of Mexico, steering malfunction where ship had to be brought ashore by a tugboat, power outage in St Maarten and mechanical problem leaving ship adrift off the Cayman Islands

That's 6 fairly major incidents within 1 year - 4 of these were within the last 45 days! How many other cruise companies have that kind of record? None!

Tonka's Skipper

None of this surprises me given their terrible reputation. Remember people this is the same company where a captain hit the shoreline in Italy killing 32 people, 3 months later they had a ship catch fire which spent several days drfting at sea with no power, then we get the four recent incidents: engine room fire leaving ship adrift in the Gulf of Mexico, steering malfunction where ship had to be brought ashore by a tugboat, power outage in St Maarten and mechanical problem leaving ship adrift off the Cayman Islands

That's 6 fairly major incidents within 1 year - 4 of these were within the last 45 days! How many other cruise companies have that kind of record? None!

Don't forget the Spendour fire and mechcancial problems with the Desteny class.........just off the top of my head

I_heart_Tigger

Don't forget the Spendour fire and mechcancial problems with the Desteny class.........just off the top of my head

Right! Jeez at this point you're taking your life in your hands cruising with this company. I only looked at the ones I recalled in the last year, I figured I forgot a few and what about the years prior. They must have the worst safety record ever. If these were airplanes they would be grounded immediately and not allowed to fly until they passed a further inspection.

jmargarone27

I have been on many cruise lines from the top of the top (Oceania and Celebrity) to the middles (Royal Caribbean and Princess) to the lows (Carnival...once and NEVER AGAIN.) Without a doubt, Disney Cruise Line is the best, has always been the best, and will never be trumped by any cruise line. The ships are luxurious, are all a good size, carry a comfortable amount of passengers (not 7,000 like the Oasis...a nightmare), the staff is totally Disney (excellent), and the food is great. There is nothing to be desired on any of their four ships.

BenSmith

Carnival needs to do three things to get back on track

1: hire a PR person, the fact that the CEO is answering to the media spells disaster. Get someone who knows the media well, and can alleviate controversy

2: fire whoever is in charge of maintenance and bring in someone who is the best in the business of making sure your ships are safe and no more accidents will occur.

3: make a huge incentive to cruising with carnival, you have to get people on your ships.Make the bar free for 3 months, Make specialty restaurants free, something to get people on your ships.

tink66

I have only been on one cruise (NCL) and I did not enjoy it swore to never cruise again!! UNTILL.... my family decided to go on a Disney cruise!! Well seeing all these Carnival cruise ships haveing issues makes me worried about this cruise!!! YIKES!! :eek: I know Disney had a fire on one of their cruises once so I know no cruise is except from issues. Ok help me not be worried and just be excited about this trip!!!! :)

ChuckElias

Tink,

Unfortunately, NO vacation is exempt from accidents, even big accidents. Hotels have kitchen fires; planes make you sit for 3 hours in the plane on the runway, waiting to take off; ski vacations include broken bones. There's no way to know for sure that you can avoid these. But Disney has a great safety record. Yes, they had a stack fire very early on in their history; but I think it was contained pretty quickly and didn't affect passengers, as far as I can recall.

The odds are overwhelmingly in your favor that you will experience only a wonderful time.

tink66

Tink,

Unfortunately, NO vacation is exempt from accidents, even big accidents. Hotels have kitchen fires; planes make you sit for 3 hours in the plane on the runway, waiting to take off; ski vacations include broken bones. There's no way to know for sure that you can avoid these. But Disney has a great safety record. Yes, they had a stack fire very early on in their history; but I think it was contained pretty quickly and didn't affect passengers, as far as I can recall.

The odds are overwhelmingly in your favor that you will experience only a wonderful time.

I agree no vacation is exempt from accidents!! :) I just hope the odds are ever in my favor!! ;)

sweetpee_1993

I have only been on one cruise (NCL) and I did not enjoy it swore to never cruise again!! UNTILL.... my family decided to go on a Disney cruise!! Well seeing all these Carnival cruise ships haveing issues makes me worried about this cruise!!! YIKES!! :eek: I know Disney had a fire on one of their cruises once so I know no cruise is except from issues. Ok help me not be worried and just be excited about this trip!!!! :)

Anywhere you go on any vacation things can happen. Hotels can have fires. Restaurants can have fires. It's not just limited to cruise ships. If you worry yourself with all the things that could go wrong on any vacation you'll likely never enjoy going anywhere.

Carnival is having a much bigger problem than just a single fire on a single ship. They've got some sort of internal issues right now. All these mechanical issues that we're talking about and are getting so much attention are indicative of a bigger issue. They're like symptoms of an illness. Thankfully, it's not contagious! ;)

The Disney Magic did have a fire atop an aft stack back in 2002. You can read about it here. If you pay attention to the details, the whole thing was handled very differently from how we've seen Carnival handling things. Think about how different that was from what you've read about Carnival's incidents. First and foremost, the Captain stood in front of the passengers, told them exactly what happened beginning to end, and even brought all the firefighting cast onstage. That's nothing even close to what Carnival does! And, alas, the Magic passengers didn't have a big interuption to their cruise as a result of the (minor) fire.

I can vouch for the ongoing maintenance on the Disney ships. We always joke about how hard it is to avoid the proliferant yummy food all over the place...but you know what? It's the same with maintenance and cleaning crew! They're eeeeeverywhere! Inside and outside, you see crew maintaining the ships continuously. Day and night. In port or at sea. They're there tooling away. Disney takes amazing care of their vessels!

So don't worry. This is not a Disney problem at all. Not saying nothing can ever happen on a Disney ship. It would be an isolated incident, not an ongoing plague of issues indicative of a much bigger problem.

ChuckElias

I agree no vacation is exempt from accidents!! :) I just hope the odds are ever in my favor!! ;)
It's worth a shot!!!

katniss1.jpg

ChuckElias

the Captain stood in front of the passengers, told them exactly what happened beginning to end, and even brought all the firefighting cast onstage.

According to the article:

Capt. Hans Mateboer was given a standing ovation by the crowd. He explained exactly what had happened and he brought all 100 firefighters out on stage to thundering applause.
All I have to say about that is: Capt. WHO????

ChuckElias

He apparently left DCL for Holland America. He's written a couple books, as well. I'm pretty sure Capt. Tom was captain on our first cruise on the Wonder in '01. I don't remember who was captain of the Magic for our first 7-day in '03. Have to check the scrapbook.

EOD K9

Time for a minor thread jack. People talk about you get what you pay for and DCL is more expensive. So, for a four night cruise to the Bahamas on the Dream, with an outside stateroom with V, it may cost close to $2200. Can Tammy or @sweetpee_1993 or any other expert, give a comparable price on another line for a similar experience. I'm just curious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom