Will Carnival Cruise Incident Affect Disney Cruise Line?

Will the bad publicity of the Carnival Triumph Cruise spill over onto the Disney Cruise Line?

• Total voters

Hedwig's Keeper

Original Poster
Will the bad publicity of the Carnival Triumph Cruise spill over onto the Disney Cruise Line?

In other words, will this paint such a bad picture of cruises that the entire industry will feel it? Or could this have the effect of driving customers away from Carnival and toward Disney? Or will there be no noticeable effect to Disney?

Californian Elitist

The Titanic sank, and people still boarded ships after that terrible incident. Disney will be fine, they're known for having great cruises.

My brother took a Carnival Cruise to Mexico. He said it was horrible (not Mexico, but Carnival). If I ever decide to take a cruise, I will not be taking one through Carnival, especially after this incident.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Hard to say. Most of Carnival's popularity seems to be due to their low price. Trying to get bargain hunters to go from Wal-Mart to Macy's is never easy. I have a feeling that there will be a few people that make the switch, but I doubt that we will see a gigantic shift.

I made the decision long a go not to sail Carnival. The recent problems have only reinforced that decision.

RonAnnArbor

Not only will it have no effect on Disney Cruises, it wont even have an effect on Carnival cruises. There should be a media release this week sometime that indicates that Carnival has experienced little to no loss in bookings since the incident last week. In fact, almost to a person being interviewed coming off the ship, they all raved about how great the crew was. A first-time cruiser might not rebook, but regular cruisers will just look right past this and go.

GenerationX

Won't impact bookings to any cruise line. The major impact of the incident, as I see it: passengers will bring more food and water on board than before, and I wouldn't be surprised if a bedpan found its way into a stateroom or two each cruise.

sweetpee_1993

I don't think it'll impact much of anything. Disney will still have their diehards, Carnival will still get their regulars. People will be watching to see if this brings down the prices at all so they can pounce on a deal...which will in-turn drive the prices back to where they've always been.

Whatever investigation(s) take place I think I like the idea of this being treated much like air accidents. It's a learning opportunity for EVERYONE, not just one specific cruise line.

Disneyfalcon

Disney went ahead and released their 2014 bookings last week, even with all of that bad publicity going on, so I don't think they were worried. I've seen a lot of Facebook friends say they would never cruise, but would they have anyway?

In the end, I don't think it will affect much, even for Carnival. I felt like Carnival reacted well in some ways, and they should have done better in others.

We watched a 20/20 special on cruises on Saturday night and it seems like some of the people onboard thought their life was over, while others kept it more in perspective, and just talked about how truly disgusting it was.

5thGenTexan

I am not sure, I think Carnival really needs to be looked at closely. The Splendor was a Carnival ship with a fire that was dead in the water. Now the Triumph with pretty much the same proble. Seems that Carnival is really dropping the maintenance ball. I would sail on Carnival now, but then I would'nt before this incident. I'm just not in thier demographic.

sweetpee_1993

Disney went ahead and released their 2014 bookings last week, even with all of that bad publicity going on, so I don't think they were worried. I've seen a lot of Facebook friends say they would never cruise, but would they have anyway?

In the end, I don't think it will affect much, even for Carnival. I felt like Carnival reacted well in some ways, and they should have done better in others.

We watched a 20/20 special on cruises on Saturday night and it seems like some of the people onboard thought their life was over, while others kept it more in perspective, and just talked about how truly disgusting it was.

I've been thinking about this as well, Tammy. When we were seeing reports of the disgusting conditions I was, like most, appalled. It's hard to even fathom such especially after being so accustomed to being practically in the lap of luxury when we cruise. But as time has gone on, the ship returned, and we've had more reports from the passengers to read I get a sense that it's like everything else in life. It's the perspective of each person. It's how each person handled things.

I think in terms of anytime I've had to face down extreme conditions I wasn't familiar with. Post-hurricane living for a month or more sans creature comforts, availability of food/water, etc. will definitely teach you a lot about how to survive both mentally and physically. We've also talked to others who had never experienced a hurricane afterwards and they couldn't have been more different from us. They were terrified. They had no idea what to do. They thought that they'd just die before things got better. But there ya go: 2 families in the same boat with 2 very different experiences thru the extremes.

The more I've thought about the conditions on the Triumph and how people coped, the more certain I am that I wouldn't have been one of those who thought death was upon them. From experience we've learned to address each challenge that comes at us with creative solutions. Would it have been not-so-fun? In some ways, yes. But there are moments even in extreme situations when you find something positive to hold onto.

After a hurricane our good times are memories spent with the family tightening ranks and taking care of each other. Everyone helps each other. I imagine the passengers on that ship will find similar positive things to take from the experience if they look for them. ;)

flynnibus

Premium Member

In other words, will this paint such a bad picture of cruises that the entire industry will feel it?

Some who don't cruise may hesitate to cruise... some who think they will never cruise will probably still never cruise. It will be a black eye for the industry (several events in a short time period) but it won't be some fundamental shift.

It won't cause people to flock to Disney or anything - they offer extremely different products.

In short.. someone who is hesitant may be inclined not to go.. and Carnival itself will have some image work to do.. but this won't shake the base of cruising.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I've been thinking about this as well, Tammy. When we were seeing reports of the disgusting conditions I was, like most, appalled. It's hard to even fathom such especially after being so accustomed to being practically in the lap of luxury when we cruise. But as time has gone on, the ship returned, and we've had more reports from the passengers to read I get a sense that it's like everything else in life. It's the perspective of each person. It's how each person handled things.

Careful ladies.. with talk like that.. people here will call you corporate shills, inconsiderate, or just being flippant to the perils those people faced.. see http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ons-ii-nge-baxter.859440/page-62#post-5327724 and more.

Disneyfalcon

Careful ladies.. with talk like that.. people here will call you corporate shills, inconsiderate, or just being flippant to the perils those people faced.. see http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ons-ii-nge-baxter.859440/page-62#post-5327724 and more.

Oops. :) Let me clarify by saying different people handle the exact same things very differently. I think we all saw that after the Fantasy traveled through some rough waters back in October. Some people were getting off the ship saying their lives were in danger, while others (even one from our forum) said it was just that - rough waters.

I'm sure some people did feel like they were in danger. Even in grave danger.

sweetpee_1993

LOL!

I saw a little bit of that the other night and was curious how the Triumph made it onto that thread. I was not, however, curious enough to even consider picking thru 60-some-odd pages of banter. Not a good use of my time. If anyone would like to discuss the situation with me I'd be happy to. I certainly feel for those folks, tho. That would've been a miserable time for sure. But like Tammy said, people got off the Fantasy and started their "survivor's pages" on Facebook because of perceptions. And those folks didn't get a refund of anything ~or~ $500 a piece.

In the whole of the Triumph situation, it'll be interesting to see how many people actually get sick (w/medical documentation) from what they experienced onboard.

93boomer

Premium Member
I say it won't but we'll have to wait and see. Hope it doesn't though. Disney cruiseline seems like a respectable line and lots travel with them. Don't think I will be taking a cruise on Carnival anytime soon though.

alissafalco

Carnival is garbage and why anyone would cruise with them is beyond me. It's the trashiest cruise line, and yes I know from experience. I don't care how cheap it is, or even if it was free, I would never go on another carnival cruise again. I went when I was in my early 20's and I didn't know any better.

ChuckElias

I'm sure some people did feel like they were in danger. Even in grave danger.
Is there any other kind?

600full-a-few-good-men-screenshot.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom