Trip Report When can we do this again? A Fractal family Odyssey. *COMPLETED*

Definition of odyssey:
  • : a long journey full of adventures

• : a series of experiences that give knowledge or understanding to someone
Not too long ago I had a lot of doubt this trip would ever happen. The financial cost of higher education, the fact my wife Val wanted to go anywhere BUT Disney, the crazy and conflicting schedules of the kids, made the odds of keeping our 2-year WDW trip tradition a large long-shot. But maybe things do happen for a reason...

A great deal came our way and before we knew it we were on our way back to the World. Not without a major sacrifice however as my eldest daughter Alexandra had to miss the trip due to her schooling ( she graduates this Friday as an Registered Nurse!). She is a bit of a kindred spirit to me with a personality closer to mine than the other two, so I knew I would miss her dearly on the trip.

Here she is at Christmas with my Mom (Yia-Yia).

DSC05745-X2.jpg

Speaking of Yia-yia; she will join us again at WDW! We had a great time with her on our 2013 trip at the Poly. We would meet up with her, my Sister Marina (here with me)...

_DSC0720-XL.jpg

and my two nieces; Courtney...

_DSC0443-XL.jpg

and Mia...
DSC05736-X2.jpg

at the Yacht Club on the second leg of our journey. The first part of our trip took us to my in-law's (Al & Sue) who moved to Florida (Tampa - St. Pete area) last year. They would also join us at WDW!

Here they are from a 50th anniversary party we had for them last Winter...

DSC05476-X2.jpg

It was early evening Thursday July 20th when we began our Odyssey. My good friend Wally picked us up to take us to the Baltimore (BWI) airport.

DSC00007-XL.jpg

Excitement was building for our trip but the real Disney excitement would come later.

Sterg and Toni occupied the back seat. They were almost late for the pickup as they decided a last second Starbucks run was in order. Sterg ended up paying for that about an hour later as his bladder protested strongly.

DSC00006-XL.jpg

Val was next to me and could barely contain her enthusiasm.

DSC00008-XL.jpg

Not only was she not fully in favor of another Disney trip, she was (rightfully) concerned with the potential problems, complications, and stress of merging these 3 parts of the family together in the already chaotic environment of managing reservations, room assignments, getting to the parks, fastpasses and dinner plans. I had much of the same worries, which were also amplified by the fact Yia-Yia and Al would be using electric scooters during our time at the World. But hey, it's Disney, what could go wrong?

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Awesome shots!!!!
Thanks coach!

I know this was a horrible story, but reading this made me LOL. Your narration and story telling were great! Just glad you didn't lose a rented lens.

I can only laugh. :D

Im sure is was heartbreaking then, but the humor in your narration shows you handled it well (even if you didn't think so at the time).

:confused::banghead::jawdrop:

:hungry:

Could not agree with you more. I got sad reading this knowing its been 4 summers since we last visited.

Me, too! So glad this site was here for me to post as we went. Excellent reminders of great family times.
Coming back anytime soon?

OK, reached the end. Thanks for taking the time to post your great pictures and share your family's story.
Thanks for following and commenting!

Only six pages ina me I already want to start a petition to have a @fractal family reality show.

The airport drama gave me such anxiety reading about!!!! My brother forgot his license once on a family flight, we drove home and got it (thankfully not too far from the airport) but then had to sprint to the gate. Ended up missing it. What are we gonna do about these young men?

Again, your family is beautiful! Now that I'm in my 20s I appreciate my parents so much more!! Those teenage years are rough, but there is a light at the end! Lol... congrats to having a nurse in the family!!

As always I'm late.. trip report is 39 pages in late.. but I will catch up!!! :) thanks for this!!!
Thanks @prfctlyximprct !

I've never been more excited for Pandora as I am now! Your pictures are breathtaking! I hope my eyesight can live up to this! Giving me legit goosebumps looking at them!!!!!
Wait till you get on Flight of Passage!

Sony Alpha Mirrorless a6000, I've read it's very new-user friendly, and the price was right ;) It'll take time for me to get used to it because I am so used to my Nikon DSLRs
Great camera, especially for the money. perfect for WDW - small, light and great photos. enjoy and don't be afraid to ask!

We're heading to WDW Nov 9. I would like to hire you to be our photographer.
Could there be a more perfect job?

IVE REACHED THE FINAL PAGE. I need more!!!!!! SOS!!!!

I love you family, your photos, your commentary. The golden monkey with your son!! It cannot be the end!

Thank you so much for letting us be a part of the fam for a bit! These past few hours reading have been sooooo enjoyable!
Almost the end, but not quite yet! Golden Monkeys knocked me for a loop! :D

We sat right by this contraption when we went. It seemed to be making ice, one cube at a time approximately every 3 minutes or so. I kept watching it to catch the next one coming out.
I would have never guessed an ice machine!

coachwnh

Coming back anytime soon?

No real plans for Disney. My wife and I went to London and Paris last November. Planning to take the kids with us next time (summer 2019). Traveled from PA to Kansas this past June, then did AZ, NM, UT, and CO in July. My daughter said the school orchestra is going to WDW in 2019, so its possible we will tag along then.

Laurenciaa

Toni was all smiles and ordered the sliders.

_DSC3332-X2.jpg

I ordered wings along with a cold beer.

The food was very good on both sides of the table.

_DSC3341-X2.jpg

The waitress took a picture of us.

_DSC3339-X2.jpg

Then I took more of Jock Lindsey's

_DSC3334-X2.jpg

_DSC3343-X2.jpg

_DSC3349-X2.jpg

The light coming in from a window can be great to use for a portrait. I decided to make use of all that light coming in from the back windows and doors to take a portrait of Toni. It worked out just like I planned...expect for the lady that was taking her kid to the bathroom that I didn't see until I looked at the photo later.

_DSC3353-X2.jpg

I really liked Jock Lindsey's; the food was good, the prices were a bit high but not outrageous and the atmosphere was stimulating and comfortable. I would definitely go again.

Until next time.

_DSC3350-X2.jpg

We then decided to head back to the resort.

Exploring more of Disney Springs will have to wait.

_DSC3354-X2.jpg

I think we were the only ones at the bus stop.

_DSC3355-X2.jpg

UP NEXT - recreating some past memories.
I am liking the merchandise Disney Springs has.. The sweaters..:inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:

Very happy to see that you and Toni got to spend some Father-Daughter time!

Last edited:

PrincessL

Last Day in Disney.

I woke up early and after no takers I went by myself for a stroll to Epcot. It was a warm but overcast morning.

_DSC3192-X2.jpg

Making my way to the International Gateway entrance.

Friendship boats all lined up and ready for a new day.

_DSC3194-X2.jpg

Most of World Showcase was closed, but I wanted to venture to the open France.

_DSC3195-X2.jpg

_DSC3196-X2.jpg

_DSC3197-X2.jpg

Nearly empty.

_DSC3200-X2.jpg

_DSC3201-X2.jpg

I had fun exploring unhindered by crowds of people. I never noticed the sundial before.

_DSC3204-X2.jpg

I was getting a small taste of @Tuvalu 's celebrity status.

_DSC3206-X2.jpg

_DSC3207-X2.jpg

I found what I was looking for. Amazingly I had never ventured into the pastry shop in France (although Val had). Having already eaten a hard boiled egg or two (meaning we were down to only a few dozen left :confused:) I wasn't up for any more breakfast but I desired a coffee and a view of the inside.

_DSC3209-X2.jpg

_DSC3210-X2.jpg

Other early risers already ordering.

_DSC3211-X2.jpg

The young lady that served me was very welcoming and sweet. I kept telling myself to ask her for permission to take her photo but for some reason and regretfully I didn't.

Oh so tempting!

_DSC3212-X2.jpg

_DSC3213-X2.jpg

_DSC3214-X2.jpg

Somehow I resisted and with just coffee in hand I made my way back outside.

_DSC3217-X2.jpg

You documented my ideal Disney morning! I can't believe you walked out of there with only coffee.

I'm sad that your report is coming to an end. You have a beautiful family and love that they too look back at the memories through you TRs! Thank you so much for letting us come along.

fractal

Original Poster
No real plans for Disney. My wife and I went to London and Paris last November. Planning to take the kids with us next time (summer 2019). Traveled from PA to Kansas this past June, then did AZ, NM, UT, and CO in July. My daughter said the school orchestra is going to WDW in 2019, so its possible we will tag along then.
We have Europe on our short list as well. 2019 seems like a good year to go with all the new stuff planned.

Thank you and I will :) and I'm happy you're echoing what I thought about it too with the size and weight of it ;)
Actually, unless you are after the best possible quality images, the A6000 (like my NEX-7) are more ideal for a Disney trip than my A7r2 because of the small size and weight. Looking forward to seeing some of your pics!

I am liking the merchandise Disney Springs has.. The sweaters..:inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove:

Very happy to see that you and Toni got to spend some Father-Daughter time!
It was nice spending time with her!

I just reread this entire TR. Much better than writing a SWOT analysis, like I should be doing! This is definitely on up there with one of the best that i've ever followed!
Thanks @meg0039 ! Don't let me get you in trouble. :eek:

You documented my ideal Disney morning! I can't believe you walked out of there with only coffee.

I'm sad that your report is coming to an end. You have a beautiful family and love that they too look back at the memories through you TRs! Thank you so much for letting us come along.
Thanks for following and commenting @PrincessL !

fractal

Original Poster
As we rode our bus back from Disney Springs, Toni and I decided to get off at Beach Club instead of Yacht Club. We had stayed at BC twice before and she wanted to see the lobby again.

I had the idea of recreating a shot I remembered from our 2011 trip.

DSC01601-X3.jpg

_DSC3368-X2.jpg

Although I didn't get to spend as much time with Toni on this trip, I was very glad that she and Courtney did. I'm sure if they lived closer together they would be best friends, but the distance and going to different schools has them naturally in different circles. They had a great time together.

We continued our trip down memory lane, including the scent of the lobby.

_DSC3370-X2.jpg

_DSC3372-X2.jpg

"Mom, look at that crazy guy with the camera."

_DSC3373-X2.jpg

Another mirror selfie...

_DSC3374-X2.jpg

We received word that everyone was still in Epcot, so we decided to join them.

_DSC3376-X2.jpg

I never did get a shot of the front of SSE. I think the previous 2 trips I photographed the front thousands of times.

_DSC3377-X2.jpg

We had Fast Passes for Test Track, but with some time until our window, Toni wanted to recreate another, shall we say, "bitter" memory.

Last edited:

wwmmd

Here's a picture of my daughters in the fancy Mork from Ork chairs at the Beach Club last month. They were grumpy, sweaty (made them walk alllllll the way from Hollywood Studios to the Beach Club in the hot, humid weather) and sad that it was our last day. Also, yes, I told my youngest to remove her feet from the chair (grrrrr, kids sometimes). We did have a great breakfast at Cape May Cafe at least!
BC grumps.jpg

Cetta

I'm loving your trip report! Your kids have grown so much since the last one I read (can't remember when it was but your kids were all way smaller than they are now). Your photography is amazing!!! I'm still only on your first day at Disney so I have a ways to go and I'm looking forward to it!

Cetta

Finally up to page 24 and I seriously feel like I've spent the day with your family at Disney World! My husband asked me what I did at work today and I said "read an amazing Disney trip report, so I have a lot of work to do tomorrow." I love how you mentioned riding roller coasters at wildwood with your cousin when you were younger. We vacationed there every year growing up until my father passed away. I can't wait to take my son to Tom Sawyer island so I can watch his imagination explode! I have to say...not only are your photos amazing but the way you write is transporting me there with you!

lbrad

The time alone, without family and without crowds, gave me an opportunity to reflect on the trip. I had much apprehension while planning this vacation. Different parts of the family coming together, trying to make sure everyone enjoyed themselves, dealing with assorted personalities; there was much potential for disaster. Although the night before was a small letdown, overall I was pleased how things went.

The Sun was trying to peak out.

_DSC3218-X2.jpg

and briefly blanked WS with a warm glow.

_DSC3219-X2.jpg

_DSC3220-X2.jpg

It was so nice and worthwhile to spend time in WDW with Marina and my nieces and well as Al and Sue. We certainly made some memories!

_DSC3226-X2.jpg

At the same time, I wish Alex had been able to join us. I also realized that my trips to WDW - the ones I remember the fondest - will never be replicated. Alex and Sterg are now adults and Toni is a young woman. Gone are the days of leading wide-eyed children through the parks and living that childhood excitement through them. We've had so many wonderful times, moments and stories from our Disney trips that will always be cherished. I felt very fortunate that day to have experienced those but also melancholy that they can never be again.

I will always have my photos, which I look back on probably more than I should.

_DSC3227-X2.jpg

_DSC3228-X2.jpg

It does give me joy that all three of my children still love WDW. It says to me that all the time spent there was enjoyable for them and is now a permanent and happy block in their childhood wall of memories. I'm also thankful that I did take the time and effort to write these trip reports. Alex, Sterg and Toni all go back and read them. Over the summer Sterg sent me an email telling me he read the report when the two of us went to Disneyland and he just wanted to thank me for it.

_DSC3229-X2.jpg

_DSC3230-X2.jpg

Those are the things that make me sure this wasn't going to be my last trip to WDW. Trips going forward will be different for sure, but different can be good.
So glad you had time to yourself to reflect. I have LOVED reading your TR!!!! Your family is beautiful <3 CHERISH every moment & memory!!! There will be more ... GRANDKIDS ;) My first one is on his way (overdue and anxiously awaiting his arrival). i can't wait to show him my happy place <3 Thank you for sharing your gorgeous photos and family with all of us !!! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom