Trip Report When can we do this again? A Fractal family Odyssey. *COMPLETED*

Definition of odyssey:
  • : a long journey full of adventures

• : a series of experiences that give knowledge or understanding to someone
Not too long ago I had a lot of doubt this trip would ever happen. The financial cost of higher education, the fact my wife Val wanted to go anywhere BUT Disney, the crazy and conflicting schedules of the kids, made the odds of keeping our 2-year WDW trip tradition a large long-shot. But maybe things do happen for a reason...

A great deal came our way and before we knew it we were on our way back to the World. Not without a major sacrifice however as my eldest daughter Alexandra had to miss the trip due to her schooling ( she graduates this Friday as an Registered Nurse!). She is a bit of a kindred spirit to me with a personality closer to mine than the other two, so I knew I would miss her dearly on the trip.

Here she is at Christmas with my Mom (Yia-Yia).

DSC05745-X2.jpg

Speaking of Yia-yia; she will join us again at WDW! We had a great time with her on our 2013 trip at the Poly. We would meet up with her, my Sister Marina (here with me)...

_DSC0720-XL.jpg

and my two nieces; Courtney...

_DSC0443-XL.jpg

and Mia...
DSC05736-X2.jpg

at the Yacht Club on the second leg of our journey. The first part of our trip took us to my in-law's (Al & Sue) who moved to Florida (Tampa - St. Pete area) last year. They would also join us at WDW!

Here they are from a 50th anniversary party we had for them last Winter...

DSC05476-X2.jpg

It was early evening Thursday July 20th when we began our Odyssey. My good friend Wally picked us up to take us to the Baltimore (BWI) airport.

DSC00007-XL.jpg

Excitement was building for our trip but the real Disney excitement would come later.

Sterg and Toni occupied the back seat. They were almost late for the pickup as they decided a last second Starbucks run was in order. Sterg ended up paying for that about an hour later as his bladder protested strongly.

DSC00006-XL.jpg

Val was next to me and could barely contain her enthusiasm.

DSC00008-XL.jpg

Not only was she not fully in favor of another Disney trip, she was (rightfully) concerned with the potential problems, complications, and stress of merging these 3 parts of the family together in the already chaotic environment of managing reservations, room assignments, getting to the parks, fastpasses and dinner plans. I had much of the same worries, which were also amplified by the fact Yia-Yia and Al would be using electric scooters during our time at the World. But hey, it's Disney, what could go wrong?

Last edited:

wwmmd

Great report. It is always interesting to experience how different each trip to WDW is as our kids age. Mine are only tweens right now but they've already gone 7 times throughout their life. Their interests have changed and what they once were scared of or were too small for are no longer a concern (except for A Bugs Life - it still freaks my 10yo out :joyfull:). They are still always sad to leave and can't wait to go back. I hope that never changes and that our trips continue until I'm too old to enjoy it.

While it's sad that you won't experience the childhood excitement through your children's eyes again, someday you'll hopefully get to experience it with your grandchildren.

Again, great report and great pictures. Until next time.

LindsayLoves

Beautiful trip report. While your photos are stunning your writing and storytelling are just as amazing. You definitely got me teared up at the end. It hit me pretty hard since I just became a mom four months ago (I blame any crying on the still raging hormones) and time has already started flying by. I constantly have to remind myself to take it all in, the good as well as the not so good, because before I know it my daughter will be all grown up.

gdisneyfans

Gone are the days of leading wide-eyed children through the parks and living that childhood excitement through them. We've had so many wonderful times, moments and stories from our Disney trips that will always be cherished. I felt very fortunate that day to have experienced those but also melancholy that they can never be again.

I will always have my photos, which I look back on probably more than I should.
You have a wonderful way of articulating the same thoughts many of us have probably had from time to time. I must admit, I did tear up a little at this one.

Figaro Family

You have a wonderful way of articulating the same thoughts many of us have probably had from time to time. I must admit, I did tear up a little at this one.
This is how I feel too! I find myself wanting to go on more Disney trips rather than less, even trying to justify more than one a year for the next few years. My daughter is already 13, if we don't go for another two years or so she'll be 15 then...:cry:. How did time go by so fast?

Matt and Kelly

Brilliant report, beautiful photos, and very eloquent words when looking back on not only this trip but past visits as well. I think much of the reason we love Disney and visit so frequently has a lot to do with how much joy and excitement our kids get out of it at their age.

Obviously, things will change as they grow older, as your reports through the years have illustrated, but I intend to take your words to heart this year and over the next few years, to really savour just how much our kids get out of these trips at this stage of their lives.

Thanks for sharing the details of what looked like another terrific visit.

newhorizons1

Gone are the days of leading wide-eyed children through the parks and living that childhood excitement through them. We've had so many wonderful times, moments and stories from our Disney trips that will always be cherished. I felt very fortunate that day to have experienced those but also melancholy that they can never be again.

Ugh, you are making me get all nostalgic and miss something that I really haven't gotten to experience yet!

So sad that this report is coming to a close and hope it won't be too long before you can head back.

I'll also echo some of the others and hopefully one day you can experience all of this through the eyes of your children's children.

fractal

Original Poster
@fractal I've said a little prayer for your lens...Fantastic images and trip report as always!
Thanks @Clamman73 ! I'm already missing that lens.

I am SOOOOO sorry about your lens. Just reading that made me feel sick. I guess the silver lining is that it wasn't the rented one. That would have been an annoying process to deal with once you were home.

Sorry your last night was so crummy :cry:
Thanks @sheriffwoody . I pretty sure the rented lens would not have been covered - which means if I had to sacrifice one lens, the 55mm was it.

I can't believe this TR is coming to an end I have loved every minute well maybe not your last night that sucked a bit but thank you for sharing your experiences and your family with us.
thanks @Gurt !

I'm all caught up! As you know - nursing school is a busy busy busy time!!

Happy belated birthday to Sterg & Toni! I am so sorry to hear about the camera :cry: it pained me to read that - I've had things stolen by WDW plenty of times, but mostly just things that are easily replaceable (sunglasses, flip flops, hats, ears)

I hope you still had a great trip overall!! :) Thanks for all the great pictures.
Yes, I know from Alex how tough nursing school is. Hang in there, it does pay off. Last week Alex drew blood for the first time - she loved it while I almost fainted listening to her describe it. :eek: Thanks for following!

Fractal I'm so sad this is coming to an end. :(

Thank you for the video of the kiss goodnight. I've never actually seen it.
Thanks @Zipitidoda ! Definitely worth the wait. Looking forward to your "full" report and pics!

So sorry you lost your lens and your day didn't go as planned. I really feel bad for you.
Thanks @mousefreak ! It happens.

That sounds like a "must do" for a future trip! It's those little things in life that are so satisfying! :happy:
Especially after a long day on your feet!

Great report. It is always interesting to experience how different each trip to WDW is as our kids age. Mine are only tweens right now but they've already gone 7 times throughout their life. Their interests have changed and what they once were scared of or were too small for are no longer a concern (except for A Bugs Life - it still freaks my 10yo out :joyfull:). They are still always sad to leave and can't wait to go back. I hope that never changes and that our trips continue until I'm too old to enjoy it.

While it's sad that you won't experience the childhood excitement through your children's eyes again, someday you'll hopefully get to experience it with your grandchildren.

Again, great report and great pictures. Until next time.
Thanks so much @wwmmd ! Enjoy these times!

@fractal the kids may now be adults, but ultimately that means one day your gonna be lugging around the grandchildren!!! Also you can take my sisters kids anytime......ages 3-11 and they are the same scenario....2 girls and a boy.
It's a deal!

Im also sad the trip report is over, between the stories and the photos, I felt like I lived it!!!
Thanks @ksr99 , but its not over just yet...

It anti over till it's over
Still one more day to go right @fractal ?

And I understand the children progression through the phases at Disney

Cross the fingers that
1) they find someone who also loves Disney
2) they have children

Max
Yes Max, not quite over yet! Fingers crossed!

Thanks @gdisneyfans ! I'd never admit to tearing up while writing it. :cry:

This is how I feel too! I find myself wanting to go on more Disney trips rather than less, even trying to justify more than one a year for the next few years. My daughter is already 13, if we don't go for another two years or so she'll be 15 then...:cry:. How did time go by so fast?
Not only does time go by fast, kids at that age change so quickly. 10 to 12 is a big change, 12 to 15-16 and its like a different person. Thanks for following and I'm enjoying your report!

Brilliant report, beautiful photos, and very eloquent words when looking back on not only this trip but past visits as well. I think much of the reason we love Disney and visit so frequently has a lot to do with how much joy and excitement our kids get out of it at their age.

Obviously, things will change as they grow older, as your reports through the years have illustrated, but I intend to take your words to heart this year and over the next few years, to really savour just how much our kids get out of these trips at this stage of their lives.

Thanks for sharing the details of what looked like another terrific visit.
Thanks @Matty30! You have a lot of great memories ahead of you - enjoy!

As always I've enjoyed this trip with you and your family. Not only do you take out of this world photos, but the things that you write and capture make me feel like I'm right there with you. Thanks for the memories!
Thanks for following again @cgersic !

I just love that your kids read your TR's :inlove: So sweet!
I do too!

Loved your TR--wonderful commentary, excellent photos--just so much fun!!! :joyfull:

Bummer that it's coming to a close, but thank you so much for inviting all of us along. (After all, you didn't have enough people in your entourage, as it was?! o_O :hilarious: ) There's always room for more!! :happy: :happy: :happy:
thanks for always liking and commenting @MinnieM123 !

Ugh, you are making me get all nostalgic and miss something that I really haven't gotten to experience yet!

So sad that this report is coming to a close and hope it won't be too long before you can head back.

I'll also echo some of the others and hopefully one day you can experience all of this through the eyes of your children's children.
Thanks @newhorizons1 ! Don't let me get you down - you have many wonderful memories ahead of you!

fractal

Original Poster
I decided to make my way around World Showcase. Since I couldn't go right I made a left.

_DSC3234-X2.jpg

_DSC3235-X2.jpg

I see people.

_DSC3236-X2.jpg

Passage to Norway was open so I ventured.

This was my reward. 15 minute wait! Boy is Toni going to mad she missed this.

_DSC3237-X2.jpg

Frozen Ever After was not at the top of my list of things to do, but despite felling a little awkward going in alone I figured "why not?"

The queue line was filled with little details.

_DSC3240-X2.jpg

Is this supposed to be Arendale or a modern Norwegian fishing village?

_DSC3241-X2.jpg

Here's something I never thought I see in a Disney ride queue (not that I gave it any thought); pickled fish in a jar.

_DSC3246-X2.jpg

Before too long, I was in my boat sitting uneasily along with two families with children. "I'm not a creeper" I wanted to say out loud but only thought.

Time to get to the task at hand. Taking photos for my Trip Report!

I found these new Audio Animation figures with the "projected" faces a bit challenging to photograph. If you get the face at a certain angle it just doesn't look convincing - and since the "face" is now "lit up" you have to be more careful with your exposure.

_DSC3247-X2.jpg

_DSC3250-X2.jpg

I liked the troll scene in the movie and now in the ride.

_DSC3252-X2.jpg

Here's an example of how the projection makes Anna's face look off - like she's wearing a mask.

_DSC3263-X2.jpg

Here's Elsa!

_DSC3265-X2.jpg

Let it go, let it go.

_DSC3266-X2.jpg

Really, just let it go already!

_DSC3269-X2.jpg

Then we rushed backwards into the next scene.

From the look of how many little snowpeople here, looks like this guy's been busy since the movie.

_DSC3279-X2.jpg

Well, you've got a lot of kids to take to DisneyWorld - I would suggest saving up!

_DSC3282-X2.jpg

_DSC3283-X2.jpg

The grande finale!

_DSC3287-X2.jpg

Goodbye princesses!

_DSC3288-X2.jpg

I found FEA to be worthwhile. I don't know if I'd wait more than 20 or 30 minutes for it - especially if I were alone.

Soon I was back outside.

_DSC3293-X2.jpg

Last edited:

amjt660

Premium Member
From the look of how many little snowpeople here, looks like this guy's been busy since the movie.
Keep it PG

These were the best pictures inside FEA I have seen on the boards
I know none of mine ever turn out!
Thanks for sharing
If I was a betting man I would think a few more rides would result in even more amazing shots
Like you said the lit up faces made for a difficult shot.

Max

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom