Trip Report When can we do this again? A Fractal family Odyssey. *COMPLETED*

Definition of odyssey:
  • : a long journey full of adventures

• : a series of experiences that give knowledge or understanding to someone
Not too long ago I had a lot of doubt this trip would ever happen. The financial cost of higher education, the fact my wife Val wanted to go anywhere BUT Disney, the crazy and conflicting schedules of the kids, made the odds of keeping our 2-year WDW trip tradition a large long-shot. But maybe things do happen for a reason...

A great deal came our way and before we knew it we were on our way back to the World. Not without a major sacrifice however as my eldest daughter Alexandra had to miss the trip due to her schooling ( she graduates this Friday as an Registered Nurse!). She is a bit of a kindred spirit to me with a personality closer to mine than the other two, so I knew I would miss her dearly on the trip.

Here she is at Christmas with my Mom (Yia-Yia).

DSC05745-X2.jpg

Speaking of Yia-yia; she will join us again at WDW! We had a great time with her on our 2013 trip at the Poly. We would meet up with her, my Sister Marina (here with me)...

_DSC0720-XL.jpg

and my two nieces; Courtney...

_DSC0443-XL.jpg

and Mia...
DSC05736-X2.jpg

at the Yacht Club on the second leg of our journey. The first part of our trip took us to my in-law's (Al & Sue) who moved to Florida (Tampa - St. Pete area) last year. They would also join us at WDW!

Here they are from a 50th anniversary party we had for them last Winter...

DSC05476-X2.jpg

It was early evening Thursday July 20th when we began our Odyssey. My good friend Wally picked us up to take us to the Baltimore (BWI) airport.

DSC00007-XL.jpg

Excitement was building for our trip but the real Disney excitement would come later.

Sterg and Toni occupied the back seat. They were almost late for the pickup as they decided a last second Starbucks run was in order. Sterg ended up paying for that about an hour later as his bladder protested strongly.

DSC00006-XL.jpg

Val was next to me and could barely contain her enthusiasm.

DSC00008-XL.jpg

Not only was she not fully in favor of another Disney trip, she was (rightfully) concerned with the potential problems, complications, and stress of merging these 3 parts of the family together in the already chaotic environment of managing reservations, room assignments, getting to the parks, fastpasses and dinner plans. I had much of the same worries, which were also amplified by the fact Yia-Yia and Al would be using electric scooters during our time at the World. But hey, it's Disney, what could go wrong?

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
I received word that my other travelers were beginning to stir so I decided to head back to YC.

Since the "middle" of World Showcase was still closed, I had to go back the same long way I came. It did provide some nice views.

_DSC3294-X2.jpg

_DSC3295-X2.jpg

Just as I hit the UK it started to rain.

_DSC3299-X2.jpg

_DSC3300-X2.jpg

I've never step foot inside of Rose & Crown. Next trip for sure!

_DSC3301-X2.jpg

I found myself, once again, caught in the rain with ponchos safely stored back in my room. :confused:

_DSC3302-X2.jpg

_DSC3303-X2.jpg

This CM didn't seem especially happy.

_DSC3305-X2.jpg

Now, how to get back to Yacht Club without getting soaked?

Answer to my prayers...

_DSC3306-X2.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
I hopped on board the Friendship boat and sat on the back deck which provided enough cover and a better view.

_DSC3309-X2.jpg

I could also take selfies of my reflection off the back window;

and could practically hear my children saying "how embarassing..."

_DSC3307-X2.jpg

A quick stop at the Boardwalk.

_DSC3311-X2.jpg

Where we picked up these little cutie-pies. The parents went inside while they plopped down right next to me. After they started talking in an adorable Australian accent, I could not resist taking their photo.

They reminded me so much of younger versions of Toni (except, of course, for the accent)! So excited and ready to start a new day at Disney.

_DSC3313-X2.jpg

Back to the goofy selfies.

Here I demonstrate the 2-finger camera grip while holding the cell phone. No wonder I dropped that lens!

_DSC3316-X2.jpg

We docked at the YC and I exited. By then the rain was just a slight drizzle.

_DSC3310-X2.jpg

10 minutes later I was standing barefoot at the door to our room.

_DSC3319-X2.jpg

Coming Up - The last precious hours and final departure.

fractal

Original Poster
Sterg still had his panties in a bunch from the night before.

Toni was jealous of the sweatshirt Sterg came back with after his trip to Disney Springs.

So, I took this as a sign to visit Disney Springs with Toni. Just the two of us like old times!

First stop on this wet Sunday was World of Disney. The last time I was there was in 2013 and it was pure bedlam; but not on this day as more rain seemed to damper the crowds.

Toni was on a hunt to match (or better) her brother.

_DSC3321-X2.jpg

How's this look Dad?

_DSC3322-X2.jpg

Or this? She (finally) did settle for the sweatshirt version of this t-shirt.

_DSC3324-X2.jpg

Maybe we should get Mom some new luggage, we both said laughing and joking at Val's expense.

_DSC3323-X2.jpg

I almost bought a classic.

_DSC3326-X2.jpg

But decided instead to take a few photos.

_DSC3327-X2.jpg

_DSC3328-X2.jpg

Having accomplished our main task, we set out to explore Disney Springs and also find a place to eat lunch.

I thankfully and finally did remember to bring ponchos as it wasn't too long after that a heavy rain started...

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Our "exploration" of Disney Springs amounted to dodging in and out of store front overhangs to avoid the downpour.

I did like what I was able to see of the shopping areas. After a few more dodges and darts we found ourselves in front of Jock Lindsey's. For the uninitiated, Jock was the pilot that flew Indiana Jones out of trouble in the opening scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

As a big Indy fan myself It seemed like a perfect time and place for lunch.

We were seated promptly in a little table in the back left corner. I quickly took off my poncho and took out my camera. The restaurant/pub is a treat for anyone, like me, into themeing and little details!

Not a big place ( but there is also outside seating)...

_DSC3329-X2.jpg

but oh so many cool and clever "props".

_DSC3331-X2.jpg

"ol Jock really got around. I especially liked the cage up top for his snake Reggie.

_DSC3346-X2.jpg

Not sure what this is but it looked cool!

_DSC3348-X2.jpg

_DSC3337-X2.jpg

Toni and I were both jealous of this seating spot.

_DSC3336-X2.jpg

Seating in the front of the pub to the left. Very cool!

_DSC3347-X2.jpg

The Bar.

_DSC3335-X2.jpg

So Jock Lindsey's sold me on it's themeing and atmosphere, but what about the food?

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Toni was all smiles and ordered the sliders.

_DSC3332-X2.jpg

I ordered wings along with a cold beer.

The food was very good on both sides of the table.

_DSC3341-X2.jpg

The waitress took a picture of us.

_DSC3339-X2.jpg

Then I took more of Jock Lindsey's

_DSC3334-X2.jpg

_DSC3343-X2.jpg

_DSC3349-X2.jpg

The light coming in from a window can be great to use for a portrait. I decided to make use of all that light coming in from the back windows and doors to take a portrait of Toni. It worked out just like I planned...expect for the lady that was taking her kid to the bathroom that I didn't see until I looked at the photo later.

_DSC3353-X2.jpg

I really liked Jock Lindsey's; the food was good, the prices were a bit high but not outrageous and the atmosphere was stimulating and comfortable. I would definitely go again.

Until next time.

_DSC3350-X2.jpg

We then decided to head back to the resort.

Exploring more of Disney Springs will have to wait.

_DSC3354-X2.jpg

I think we were the only ones at the bus stop.

_DSC3355-X2.jpg

UP NEXT - recreating some past memories.

Lyssa

Thanks to your amazing pictures, I actually convinced DH to buy me a mirrorless sony camera for my birthday this week. It's not as fancy as yours is since I don't really know how to use it yet ;) but I am looking forward to learning to use it and to bringing it on my trip :) though I'm sure my pictures won't be as gorgeous as yours ;)

coachwnh

After Harambe Market we split up. Marina wanted to get Mia over her Yeti-phobia and I thought it would be a great time to catch Festival of the Lion King with Yia-Yia.

_DSC2739-X2.jpg

I continue to appreciate what people that have to use an ECV go thru. As we were led into the theater towards the ECV parking spot by a CM, the incoming crowd rushed us - ignored the CM telling them to stop and preventing us from going the final 5 feet. So we basically had to stand in the middle of a mass of people rushing past us like a pack of wildebeests.

After we finally got settled, the show was on. I was missing Alex as she love LK and loves this show.

_DSC2744-X2.jpg

_DSC2749-X2.jpg

_DSC2752-X2.jpg

Hi Simba!

_DSC2755-X2.jpg

Tumble Monkeys were at the top of there game.

_DSC2759-X2.jpg

_DSC2764-X2.jpg

Yia-Yia was really getting into it. She kept clapping and waving to the performers.

_DSC2945-X2.jpg

_DSC2947-X2.jpg

Time for things to get a little scary.

_DSC2769-X2.jpg

This guy is so talented (and maybe a little nuts)!

_DSC2781-X2.jpg

_DSC2789-X2.jpg

_DSC2790-X2.jpg

_DSC2809-X2.jpg

_DSC2822-X2.jpg

_DSC2853-X2.jpg
Awesome shots!!!!

fractal

Original Poster
Keep it PG

These were the best pictures inside FEA I have seen on the boards
I know none of mine ever turn out!
Thanks for sharing
If I was a betting man I would think a few more rides would result in even more amazing shots
Like you said the lit up faces made for a difficult shot.

Max

:rolleyes:

Thanks Max! There were a few shots I'd like another chance at.

Typical that it starts to rain just as you get into the UK. :rolleyes: Sounds about right though!
I was going to say that...but it's also Florida we're talking about. :D

Thanks to your amazing pictures, I actually convinced DH to buy me a mirrorless sony camera for my birthday this week. It's not as fancy as yours is since I don't really know how to use it yet ;) but I am looking forward to learning to use it and to bringing it on my trip :) though I'm sure my pictures won't be as gorgeous as yours ;)

Great! Which one? Let me know if you have any questions with it!

coachwnh

When we got to the boat scene, we had a "cannon ball" near-miss that sent water over our boat with much of it landing on my head and lap - not to mention my camera.

While my camera is "water resistant" the lens was not. My shirt was wet so that wasn't going to offer any help. I decided to go for the cloth... in my camera bag...in the dark...in a moving boat...sitting right next to the water...

It's painful for me to be typing this.

The next few minutes played out in a very odd way and could probably be a good psychological study. One part of my brain was clearly telling me that if I opened my camera bag and fondled around in the dark one of the 2 lenses in the bag were going to end up going for a swim. The other part of my brain said I needed to quickly dry the soaked camera and attached lens.

I carefully unclipped the camera bag and lifted open the top. In the darkness I didn't realize that the camera bag was upside down. I was not opening the top, I was "opening" the bottom part of the bag!

With gravity being what it is, I felt the two lenses roll out of the upside down bag, onto my lap, bouncing around - from on top of 'ol smokey all covered with cheese...

Panic set in quickly! "Grab lens, grap lens!" I told myself.

"there's one" I happily thought as I gripped a lens. "where's the..."

KERR-PLUNK

The sound made me instantly sick. A pit in my stomach. One of the 2 lenses was now property and booty of the Caribbean Pirates. Slowly sinking down to Davey Jones' locker.

"DAD! Was that your camera?" Toni quickly turned looking at me.

"No. but it was one of my lenses." I answered nauseously.

The two lenses in the bag were a Zeiss Batis 18mm 2.8 that I rented for this trip. Replacement cost of $1,500 (gulp). although I did insure it for damage, wasn't sure if dropping it in Pirates of the Caribbean was covered. Probably not.
the other was a Sony Zeiss 55mm 1.8 I got used for $500. Great lens, love the lens and perfect for my camera but I was hoping it was the 55mm lens.

After feeling the lens in my hand for a few seconds I knew the rented lens was safe, but my 55mm was gone forever! :eek:

I know this was a horrible story, but reading this made me LOL. Your narration and story telling were great! Just glad you didn't lose a rented lens.

coachwnh

Carrying my now lighter camera bag, I hustled back to the hub with the girls. Our prime spot was gone, in fact the hub and Main Street was mobbed.
Im sure is was heartbreaking then, but the humor in your narration shows you handled it well (even if you didn't think so at the time).

Oh crap - we forgot about Sterg.

:confused::banghead::jawdrop:

If I could get a magic beer at Disney, why not a magic Dole whip?

:hungry:

At the same time, I wish Alex had been able to join us. I also realized that my trips to WDW - the ones I remember the fondest - will never be replicated. Alex and Sterg are now adults and Toni is a young woman. Gone are the days of leading wide-eyed children through the parks and living that childhood excitement through them. We've had so many wonderful times, moments and stories from our Disney trips that will always be cherished. I felt very fortunate that day to have experienced those but also melancholy that they can never be again.

Could not agree with you more. I got sad reading this knowing its been 4 summers since we last visited.

It does give me joy that all three of my children still love WDW. It says to me that all the time spent there was enjoyable for them and is now a permanent and happy block in their childhood wall of memories. I'm also thankful that I did take the time and effort to write these trip reports. Alex, Sterg and Toni all go back and read them.

Me, too! So glad this site was here for me to post as we went. Excellent reminders of great family times.

prfctlyximprct

Only six pages ina me I already want to start a petition to have a @fractal family reality show.

The airport drama gave me such anxiety reading about!!!! My brother forgot his license once on a family flight, we drove home and got it (thankfully not too far from the airport) but then had to sprint to the gate. Ended up missing it. What are we gonna do about these young men?

Again, your family is beautiful! Now that I'm in my 20s I appreciate my parents so much more!! Those teenage years are rough, but there is a light at the end! Lol... congrats to having a nurse in the family!!

As always I'm late.. trip report is 39 pages in late.. but I will catch up!!! :) thanks for this!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom