What's Your Idea for the Next Upcharge / Money Making Experience?

flynnibus

Premium Member
For basic services and amenities EVERY SINGLE GUEST at Disney World should feel like they are being provided first class service and getting the best experience possible. For SOME things, guests should not be invited to shell out more money for better services/experiences. In offering up-charges for basic services and amenities, beyond feeling nicked and dimed, all guests, the elites and the hoi poll alike, are blatantly reminded that the normal service/experience Disney provides for its guests is NOT first class. It's economy. If you want first class you have to pay more. Experiencing Disney magic or the Disney difference is becoming an increasingly a two tiered experience--in more places, for more services, and in more visible ways. There are many of us who think this is a bad trend and that it's only going to get worse.

Exactly. The 'Disney Difference' is not 'a greater menu of choices' - it was something coined to describe how Disney created experiences above and beyond people's normal expectations and made them feel special compared to anywhere else. The Disney Difference is not about having a range of experiences you can buy up to get the level you want.. from economy to posh.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Now, This makes sense to me. Except for the one thing I still disagree with... If Disney had taken away Park Hopping Busses, and forced people to pay for Express Park Hopping Extravaganza Transit, there would be room for argument. But they're not. They are not taking away anything (albeit they are also not fixing a subpar system, I will go that far), so people still get to stay the same route. Hence, it is an upgraded service. And the argument of Coach vs. First Class is absolutely on point. You pay for upgrades above the normal service, whether it fits your personal standard or not...

Disney was never Coach - that's the point. When you start accepting the subpar because Disney offers a better paid option... you've flushed what got Disney to where they are.

Minthorne

In a Coke Zero stupor I had a vision of the future I need to share:

2018 new ticket structure**

In addition to the surge pricing for times of year, each day of a ticket ticket will be only valid for a 5 hour window in the park.

There are 3 standard windows:

AM (8am-1pm)
Mid Day 1pm-5pm
Evening* (5-10pm)
*Evening tickets have a higher cost as they include fireworks.

Additionally there will Extra Evening Hours Event from 10pm -1am Sold each day (with entry at 8PM)

Guests are welcome to buy tickets for all 3 time slots and Extra Evening for a full day of magic.

**Prices are one park only - Hopping is extra. Tickets do not include New Attractions (opened with-in the last 36 Months) unless the New Magic option is purchased.

Financing for tickets is available with Chase.

James Norrie

Disney was never Coach - that's the point. When you start accepting the subpar because Disney offers a better paid option... you've flushed what got Disney to where they are.
Well in that case I should be upset because we're not all rolling around in Bentley buses. Jeeze dude, it's a bus. Not a themed ride, not a posh hotel room, not a attraction. It's a means of transportation, simple and economical for moving the masses. Disney buses (Not DME, run by Mears) are lower than coach class accommodations. Its a transit bus. Always has been. You are whining way too much about this. Conversation is done. Have a good one.

James Norrie

In a Coke Zero stupor I had a vision of the future I need to share:

2018 new ticket structure**

In addition to the surge pricing for times of year, each day of a ticket ticket will be only valid for a 5 hour window in the park.

There are 3 standard windows:

AM (8am-1pm)
Mid Day 1pm-5pm
Evening* (5-10pm)
*Evening tickets have a higher cost as they include fireworks.

Additionally there will Extra Evening Hours Event from 10pm -1am Sold each day (with entry at 8PM)

Guests are welcome to buy tickets for all 3 time slots and Extra Evening for a full day of magic.

**Prices are one park only - Hopping is extra. Tickets do not include New Attractions (opened with-in the last 36 Months) unless the New Magic option is purchased.

Financing for tickets is available with Chase.
Ah, the Ski Resort Model. Good one!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well in that case I should be upset because we're not all rolling around in Bentley buses. Jeeze dude, it's a bus. Not a themed ride, not a posh hotel room, not a attraction. It's a means of transportation, simple and economical for moving the masses. Disney buses (Not DME, run by Mears) are lower than coach class accommodations. Its a transit bus. Always has been. You are whining way too much about this. Conversation is done. Have a good one.

You are so literal you miss the actual concept because you got hung up on the labels. Nothing in my post was about making buses some bentley or equivalent. It was about the Disney Difference.

Maybe my flaw is I assume some people actually experienced the Disney Difference...

James Norrie

You are so literal you miss the actual concept because you got hung up on the labels. Nothing in my post was about making buses some bentley or equivalent. It was about the Disney Difference.

Maybe my flaw is I assume some people actually experienced the Disney Difference...
I do experience the Disney Difference every time I go to WDW (which is far less than what I would prefer as far as frequency). I don't have to find a ride from MCO, I don't have to even go to the front desk to check in, I don't have to find a way to get from park to park or rent a car, I don't even have to pay cash or swipe a credit card when I get food or Merch. I just don't expect some glamorous and High Speed transportation system to whisk me away to the parks for free (Oh, I know I pay for it, but indirectly). I expect a City Bus-type system that works somewhat efficiently. My biggest disappointment with the Bus system is that literally nothing that the driver says ever pans out to be true...

flynnibus

Premium Member
I do experience the Disney Difference every time I go to WDW (which is far less than what I would prefer as far as frequency). I don't have to find a ride from MCO, I don't have to even go to the front desk to check in, I don't have to find a way to get from park to park or rent a car, I don't even have to pay cash or swipe a credit card when I get food or Merch. I just don't expect some glamorous and High Speed transportation system to whisk me away to the parks for free (Oh, I know I pay for it, but indirectly). I expect a City Bus-type system that works somewhat efficiently. My biggest disappointment with the Bus system is that literally nothing that the driver says ever pans out to be true...

Did you visit the parks before 1995?

Courtney6682

A special bus service between parks is a nice perk to me, if it works well. I'd pay extra to get to a different park quickly if I was strapped for time or if I wanted to maximize my time at MK before heading to EPCOT for a dining reservation. There is value there and people will pay for value and convenience. It certainly doesn't detract from experiences of others.

Agreed, there's a very good chance my family will use this service in a few weeks. Especially since we have used Uber during our last 2 trips

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

Agreed, there's a very good chance my family will use this service in a few weeks. Especially since we have used Uber during our last 2 trips
Very good point. In a pinch, anyone around the Disney area could take Uber if they HAD to make it somewhere around Disney Resort very quickly. Disney is just taking offering a service that's similar.

Everyone complains about Disney being so expensive. If it is "so expensive," then that means your time is valuable. Transportation is purely a waste of time (unless it's fun like the Monorail). Getting somewhere 30 minutes sooner could be a big deal if your time is limited.

Disney transportation is great and included in your admission. It works for 90% of the cases, but now they are giving you an express option. I'd actually like to see them take it a step further and offer "VIP couriers" that would basically replace Uber. I need a Disney shuttle now to get from point A to point B. Call it up in the app, pay the fee, done.

Courtney6682

Disney transportation is great and included in your admission. It works for 90% of the cases, but now they are giving you an express option. I'd actually like to see them take it a step further and offer "VIP couriers" that would basically replace Uber. I need a Disney shuttle now to get from point A to point B. Call it up in the app, pay the fee, done.

Now you're talkin'! I thought I heard that they were asking questions in a survey about Uber style transportation on property. I wonder if this is what they came up with? Or if we still might get it in the future. My family used Uber because it was quicker than a bus;)

Chef Mickey

Now you're talkin'! I thought I heard that they were asking questions in a survey about Uber style transportation on property. I wonder if this is what they came up with? Or if we still might get it in the future. My family used Uber because it was quicker than a bus;)
I would use it a lot, particularly if they would utilize backstage areas. Things are a lot closer when you use those roads and avoid the "main" thoroughfares.

I believe this is step 1 testing. If people like it, it will be expanded.

Last edited:

21stamps

Mine used it because we were always running late..lol

We did a taxi once only bc they are already stationed at the hotel.. that was a one and done. Uber is almost half the price.

DABIGCHEEZ

I know I'd pay extra not to hear the silly story line on Kilimanjaro Safari and just see the animals. Maybe a upcharge for a lower volume in Dinosaur. How about an upfront $100 fee at entry if you want a lifeguard to save you at the waterpark should an accident arise? I think they should sell a bungee jump from the Characters in Flight balloon. I think TOT should be 1 drop... additional drops on the same ride are $15 each. Water taxis.... $20/person per day. Housekeeping... an additional $25/day. Non runny eggs for breakfast, 4 hr or less "fresh" coffee, hot Mickey waffles... all will now have a $4 extra fee to be ensured. Pool towel... $5 each per day and poolside lounge chairs...$20/day. I working gun on TS Mania and Buzz Lightyear will now be $5 ea. Curbside seating on Main Street for parade has got to be worth an extra $15/person per 2.5 sq ft spot. I guess I'll just stop there for now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom