What's Your Idea for the Next Upcharge / Money Making Experience?

rct247

Original Poster
With all these fantastic [sarc] ideas appearing recently for ways Disney can make more money off of their Guests, what are some of your ideas for ridiculous or potentially realistic future announcements, despite any of us actually paying or enjoying the fact that they would do it?

Will resorts start charging to have a more relaxing experience at the quiet pool?
Will we see add an extra Fastpass for $50 per person?
Will ponchos be sold in the queue lines at water attractions across the parks?

I'm sure their just getting started.

Johnguelff

Cedar Point fast pass is 100$ a day per person and the fastpass lines are always full. I'm very surprised Disney hasn't capitalized.

Johnguelff

We should, but, Cedar fair has been doing this for years to great success. Just surprised Disney hasn't used it as a mega cash grab.

rct247

Original Poster
Ordering quick service meals on MyDisneyExperience and having it ready at a reserved table in quick service restaurants. I'm sure people would be willing to add $40 a person on to their food bill for this level of service.

DisneyJoe

Ordering quick service meals on MyDisneyExperience and having it ready at a reserved table in quick service restaurants. I'm sure people would be willing to add $40 a person on to their food bill for this level of service.
Already happens for Be Our Guest breakfast and lunch...

Wendy Pleakley

Economy Plus seating on Star Tours.

A fee to store any carry-on items under your seat on Star Tours.

Extra fees if you want the front row on Everest or Space Mountain, or an aisle seat on Kilimanjaro Safaris.

Talking Mickey only speaks if you've pre-ordered the option and it is scanned from your magic band.

For an extra fee you can stop and sit in the middle of the theater for shows. Everyone else must proceed to the very end,

BrerJon

Each monorail will have a designated 'luxury' cabin, where the cleanliness and quality of furnishings will always match those of opening day 1971. For an extra $20+tax per person, you too can experience what it was like to be a Disney guest in the 70s.

Chef Mickey

Why do people take exception to ancillary services being provided for an extra fee? It's really not a bad thing if you have the option to gain an incremental service experience for a small fee.

Airlines do it with preferred seating, extra bags, snacks, etc. This is not just something Disney does.

The key is, do you want the service offered because it offers something of value or not? It's called running a business and consumers can make choices.

Disney4family

A FastPass+ that truly is a FastPass - not a "wait in this line for 20 minutes before you get to scan your band for the first time and then proceed to the second scanner to get on faster" pass

The Empress Lilly

Special Princess Package.

For $1350 you can give your princess a royal treatment. In parades, it will be her the characters will wave at, in rides her name is called, during the projection shows her image will appear on the castle / tree inserted within her fav movie. For your little Jedi boy the Star Wars experience does the same.

Wendy Pleakley

Why do people take exception to ancillary services being provided for an extra fee? It's really not a bad thing if you have the option to gain an incremental service experience for a small fee.

Airlines do it with preferred seating, extra bags, snacks, etc. This is not just something Disney does.

The key is, do you want the service offered because it offers something of value or not? It's called running a business and consumers can make choices.

One element might be the feeling of being a second class citizen. My mom used to complain about the time the clerk at the airline counter pulled a first class passenger up instead of her. I didn't think it was a big deal, but it can upset people, even if the feeling isn't completely rational.

With Disney I think a large part of it is the perception that it's going too far, is too in-your-face, and is taking away from the have-nots. It doesn't bother me that I can't afford to stay at the Grand Floridian, but other people can. It doesn't bother me that people can afford a VIP tour. It doesn't bother me that some people can afford to eat nicer meals at WDW than I can.

However, at what point does it start to bother me? Look, there's a fireworks viewing area that I'm not allowed into. Look, those people are heading out to catch their private van to another park. Look, those people are relaxing in cabanas while I search for a shady spot. Look, I arrived at park opening but the queues are already filled with people who paid for early access.

I'm not at the point of being upset at up-charges (my earlier post was just having fun with it), but I understand where the feeling is coming from.

Chef Mickey

One element might be the feeling of being a second class citizen. My mom used to complain about the time the clerk at the airline counter pulled a first class passenger up instead of her. I didn't think it was a big deal, but it can upset people, even if the feeling isn't completely rational.

With Disney I think a large part of it is the perception that it's going too far, is too in-your-face, and is taking away from the have-nots. It doesn't bother me that I can't afford to stay at the Grand Floridian, but other people can. It doesn't bother me that people can afford a VIP tour. It doesn't bother me that some people can afford to eat nicer meals at WDW than I can.

However, at what point does it start to bother me? Look, there's a fireworks viewing area that I'm not allowed into. Look, those people are heading out to catch their private van to another park. Look, those people are relaxing in cabanas while I search for a shady spot. Look, I arrived at park opening but the queues are already filled with people who paid for early access.

I'm not at the point of being upset at up-charges (my earlier post was just having fun with it), but I understand where the feeling is coming from.
Honestly, not sure why that upsets you. This is a business and a free market economy. People need to have different means or the economy doesn't work anymore. The spread between lower, middle, and upper class is the reason people strive to be better. If you can't afford a couple extras on the trip, I'd argue you shouldn't be there anyway.

A special bus service between parks is a nice perk to me, if it works well. I'd pay extra to get to a different park quickly if I was strapped for time or if I wanted to maximize my time at MK before heading to EPCOT for a dining reservation. There is value there and people will pay for value and convenience. It certainly doesn't detract from experiences of others.

The special viewing areas? Those represent only a tiny % of the total viewing area and are barely noticeable in the grand scheme. Again, choose what you want and be happy options are available.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom