What's Your Idea for the Next Upcharge / Money Making Experience?

rkleinlein

People with more money are able to spend it more freely than those with less. Nobody (or few) would argue with this. But when a company starts to up charge for services and experiences which used to be part of the price or, more to the point, which one expects, especially from a premier establishment like Disney World, that's something else altogether.

If the world's premier theme park does not have enough relaxing places to sit in the shade, that's a problem that should addressed not by providing a very small portion of guests VIP spaces for a hefty fee, but by creating more relaxing spaces for EVERYONE--every single guest.

If the waits for busses are too long, that's a problem that should be addressed not by offering VIP bus service for the few who are willing to pay for it, but by providing more efficient bus service for EVERYONE.

If the crowds have gotten miserable, that's a problem that should be solved not by offering a very small portion of the guests VIP access, but by providing more attractions (and finally they are starting to do this) or longer operating hours for EVERYONE.

Up charging to avoid crowds and wait times is not the same thing as paying more for nicer hotels or better meals. It's a money grab. And if these up charges prove successful, they become a perverse incentive to not address the real problems--people aren't going to shell out an extra $100 a day for VIP bus service if the regular bus service is adequate.

Wendy Pleakley

New upcharge event:

Afternoon Mad Tea Party with Alice and the Mad Hatter.

Enjoy priority boarding and afternoon tea on the Mad Tea Party at the Magic Kingdom.

Includes all you care to drink tea selection and unlimited appetizers for the duration of the ride (90 seconds).

Wave to Alice and the Mad Hatter as they ride in a teacup at the same time.

Cost: $129 per guest.

Option to ride in the same teacup as Alice or the Mad Hatter: additional $89 per guest.

Theme park admission not included.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Except the comparison point before the nickle-and-diming isn't 30 years ago.. it's about 10. It was the soaring cost of oil and the recession that lead to the run to charge for bags, seats, food, even pillows. For instance, American started charging for first bag in 2008. The success of Southwest... internet fare shopping.. the rising costs.. and success of the 'bargin' carriers doing it.. lead to the mainstream carriers getting onboard with the nickle&dime business model. It's also why in this time period we had new consumer protection changes forcing carriers to quote total cost, not being able to get away with advertising fares before fees, etc.

They are creating bundles of service you largely had for free before... under the guise of new values. Instead of addressing legitimate customer service issues (new security overhead, long bus waits, overcrowded buses) the solution is providing 'premium services' that you can buy your way out of things. That is not customer service - that's opportunistic abuse.

Having worked for one of the major airlines, I can tell you that EVERYTHING is assigned a cost, At American at one time in-flight martini's contained 2 olives, AA saved $500,000 annually by eliminating one olive, It's been the airlines who have dragged customer service down and the rest of corporate america has followed their example like good little lemmings.

James Norrie

If the waits for busses are too long, that's a problem that should be addressed not by offering VIP bus service for the few who are willing to pay for it, but by providing more efficient bus service for EVERYONE.
But, You're assuming that EVERY single guest Park Hops, which is not the case at all. Park Hoppers to 1-A-Day's is probably a 1-100 ratio, if not greater...

flynnibus

Premium Member
But, You're assuming that EVERY single guest Park Hops, which is not the case at all.

Actually his statement isn't predicated on that at all.. but the very opposite. The idea that customer service is something to strive for all customers is not about the # of people who use a feature.

thomas998

Why do people take exception to ancillary services being provided for an extra fee? It's really not a bad thing if you have the option to gain an incremental service experience for a small fee.

Airlines do it with preferred seating, extra bags, snacks, etc. This is not just something Disney does.

The key is, do you want the service offered because it offers something of value or not? It's called running a business and consumers can make choices.
I think the people generally get upset as the price of the regular experience continues to go up and up and up... If the cost of admission to WDW was say $50/person then people wouldn't be that upset with rampant upcharges.... But when the cost of admission is $100/person then people tend to be more in the camp of, "hey I already paid a big price I should get a good experience." Basically there is probably a price point at which most people wouldn't belittle Disney for trying for add-ons... But if the customer feels they are already pay for a first class seat the last thing they want or expect is for nickle and dime add on charges.

thomas998

I'm still waiting for a front of the line pass like they have at other parks. I would assume it would be priced much lower that are pretty much nothing more than front of the line passes with a CM acting as the pass.... BUt it wouldn't cost Disney as much to provide it and I know I would be signing up for it... probably willing to pay $100

James Norrie

Actually his statement isn't predicated on that at all.. but the very opposite. The idea that customer service is something to strive for all customers is not about the # of people who use a feature.

Wrong, because the Few who are willing to pay for it (which is who the poster referenced, not me) are the few who also pay for Park Hopper passes, which do come at a hefty price jump from a 1 park pass. Hence, they paid more for a service, and now are being asked (not required) to (voluntarily) pay more for VIP bus service (if and only if they choose to not use the still-in-place bus service).

You are confusing the subject of repairing the existing bus service with offering an additional pay-for-separately upgrade to transportation...

JohnD

Any in-park transportation services to get you around. Includes the Trolley in MK. Get out the old double-decker buses in Epcot for travel around WS. Jeeps in AK. And a Golf Cart in HS just like at a movie studio (we know it's not anymore but run with it). As with anything else, purchase online through MDE and add to your MB. MB must be scanned for authorization before riding.

James Norrie

Yes, because the ENTIRE FREAKING REASON the latter exists, is because of the former. They are not independent.
Could be related... Source for your assertion? Park Hopping from MK to EP are not affected, but it is tough to get from the other 2 to anywhere, this seems like a simple solution to handle a specific problem. Not a general solution to fix an entire system.
And relax a little, if I can get you this fired up on a forum I'd hate to see how you react to real people with a difference of opinion.

I think we are actually in agreement that the transpo is in bad shape. But, I can separate one from the other instead of generalizing everything in to one "It's so messed up" category

flynnibus

Premium Member
Could be related... Source for your assertion? Park Hopping from MK to EP are not affected, but it is tough to get from the other 2 to anywhere, this seems like a simple solution to handle a specific problem. Not a general solution to fix an entire system.
And relax a little, if I can get you this fired up on a forum I'd hate to see how you react to real people with a difference of opinion.

I think we are actually in agreement that the transpo is in bad shape. But, I can separate one from the other instead of generalizing everything in to one "It's so messed up" category

Figure this one out... we've had 4 theme parks for nearly 20 years. Why is there a need for this service now to the point people are willing to pay extra for it? Why didn't this boil to the top in the last 26 years when there was 3 or more theme parks?

What do you postulate has changed that you think makes this a viable service now... verse the very same customers, traversing the very same destinations? Have customers been throwing their money at Disney for 26 years and Disney simply said no? Or have things changed to cause customers to be willing to pay now?

rkleinlein

Wrong, because the Few who are willing to pay for it (which is who the poster referenced, not me) are the few who also pay for Park Hopper passes, which do come at a hefty price jump from a 1 park pass. Hence, they paid more for a service, and now are being asked (not required) to (voluntarily) pay more for VIP bus service (if and only if they choose to not use the still-in-place bus service).

You are confusing the subject of repairing the existing bus service with offering an additional pay-for-separately upgrade to transportation...

There's no confusion. Flynnibus is absolutely correct: the ONLY reason the express bus service exists--and some people are willing to pay for it--is because the existing bus service is sub-par. Instead of providing great bus service for everyone traveling park to park, Disney has chosen to provide premium service only for those willing to shell out more money.

Barring food, hotels, souvenirs, etc. (which have always been separate purchases of varying cost and quality), and barring the obsolete pay-as-you-ride tickets, all guests used to experience the "Disney difference" in the parks with the purchase of an admission ticket. Now guests are increasingly invited to purchase additional VIP services for a top-notch experience. It doesn't matter that none of it is required. It doesn't matter that some people are willing to pay for it. What matters is that some guest are being nickeled and dimed for that premium Disney experience and, since exclusivity is a necessary requirement for VIP up charges, most guests are denied that premium experience.

JohnD

And the spirit of this thread has been taken out back and shot with bile bullets.

I've been trying. Plenty of other threads about criticism of WDW. That aspect has taken over the thread rather than coming up with crazy wacky ideas which was the OP's purpose.

James Norrie

Figure this one out... we've had 4 theme parks for nearly 20 years. Why is there a need for this service now to the point people are willing to pay extra for it? Why didn't this boil to the top in the last 26 years when there was 3 or more theme parks?

What do you postulate has changed that you think makes this a viable service now... verse the very same customers, traversing the very same destinations? Have customers been throwing their money at Disney for 26 years and Disney simply said no? Or have things changed to cause customers to be willing to pay now?
I Don't know, as I'm not on the Customer Experience Team at WDP&R. I can tell you this: Adding an option while not taking away from anything else is surely not a bad thing...

rkleinlein

And the spirit of this thread has been taken out back and shot with bile bullets.

I've been trying. Plenty of other threads about criticism of WDW. That aspect has taken over the thread rather than coming up with crazy wacky ideas which was the OP's purpose.
The original poster called Disney's up charge ideas "fantastic" and immediately followed the word "fantastic" with "sarc." I and others took this as an explicit statement that the poster was being sarcastic and did not, in fact, think the up charges were fantastic. I and others took the invitation to come up with "ridiculous" ideas as an implicit criticism of the absurdity of the things for which WDW is now up charging. Some people defended the up charges while others criticized them. A conversation ensued. Isn't that the sprit of the thread and this forum?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom