what's your favorite thing to do at DHS?

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Hi all!

The DH and I tend to go in, do our thing, and leave at DHS. But this time, we have 2 long days there. We are taking in Fantasmic again, along with Brown Derby.

Of course there are the favorite rides, but what else do you love about DHS?

We are trying cupcakes at Starring Rolls for the first time this year. So excited!
Also, I read there is a new pretzel dog at Min and Bills! YUM!

We would like to know things like, who's your favorite performer as you walk in? Or what is your favorite place to grab an ice cream or milkshake? Things like that.

Thanks!

disneygirl76

Original Poster
My favorite shake anywhere...in fact, the only shake I ever get...is in the Studios, from 50s Prime Time.

The PB&J shake. I know it sounds gross, but (in the words of Mr. Food) Oooh, it's so good!! I have one or two a year.

I'm not a huge fan of DS. My favorite thing is TGMR, especially the Wizard of Oz part. And the Shinbone section, when I get to go through it. I think most people haven't seen The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and miss stuff there. It's a shame, because it's not only one of the best movies ever made, but WDW did a nice job there.

If you ever have time, instead of getting off the tram and running to the turnstiles, go over to the right and check out the view of the water. You can almost forget there is a theme park behind you. :)

Great tip about going to check out the water! I have never seen it before!

We love DHS for some reason and not for others. That is why I am interested to know everyones hidden gems so we can make more of our DHS experience! :)

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Mulch , Sweat & Shears have got to be my favorite entertainment in that park, without question. This is a video a friend had put up a number of years ago:

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

After we race to Toy Story with the rest of the herd, we always take in the Great Movie ride and then just roam around. I enjoy looking in all the shops and windows. We enjoy the Animation tour and drawing area. Before we leave HS we always stop in Sids to check out the autographed photos and see whats new.

Upvote 0

stlbobby

DHS has a great restaurant selection. When you go to the Brown Derby ask for a booth, even if you have to wait it is worth it. You will have a much better experience. In addition to 50's Prime Time, which is both fun and excellent food, DHS has the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theatre and Mama Melrose. Both are nice relaxing venues. At Sci-Fi stick to the burgers. At Mama's you have to try a flat bread pizza. Make sure to get reservations because both places are usually packed.

If you want to just try the milkshakes at 50's Primetime, you can try the Tune-in Lounge. It is the bar connected to 50's and they will usually serve the apetizer and dessert menu from the restaurant at the bar, so I assume they will bring you a shake.

If you are looking for something quick, the Backlot Express and Studios Catering company do a nice job providing choices beyond the normal burgers and fries.

I love all of the rides and shows, but I think Little Mermaid is one of the most underrated experiences at WDW. It's not even one of my favorite movies, but I love this show. Also make sure you ride the new Star Tours. My wife doesn't like the movies, I'm not sure why I married her, and hated the old version, but she likes this one.

As has been mentioned the book store is a great place to relax, cool down, and have a snack.

Finally the most important thing at DHS is taking the time to watch the street performers, they are the heart and soul of the park.

I hope you have a great time.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

You noted Starring Rolls and that has become one of our faves. We really enjoyed grabbing some sweet treats, taking a seat at one of their tables with the umbrellas, and taking our time enjoying and relaxing. It's funny, but the design just makes it feel so isolated- making it a nice little break.

Beyond that, it's a tough call b/c a lot of my interests in DHS revolve around the kids (i.e. I don't know if you'd have fun playing games in Pizza Planet or watching the Disney Junior show), but BatB, Little Mermaid, and Muppet Vision are all things I'd enjoy even if the kids were off doing other things. I also loved 50sPT and Brown Derby on our early trips to DHS (as MGM) way back when. We are revisiting 50s PT this time - soooo excited! We don't shop much, but I enjoy the shop with all of the Muppet and Phineas and Ferb merch as well as the villains shop.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
DHS has a great restaurant selection. When you go to the Brown Derby ask for a booth, even if you have to wait it is worth it. You will have a much better experience. In addition to 50's Prime Time, which is both fun and excellent food, DHS has the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theatre and Mama Melrose. Both are nice relaxing venues. At Sci-Fi stick to the burgers. At Mama's you have to try a flat bread pizza. Make sure to get reservations because both places are usually packed.

If you want to just try the milkshakes at 50's Primetime, you can try the Tune-in Lounge. It is the bar connected to 50's and they will usually serve the apetizer and dessert menu from the restaurant at the bar, so I assume they will bring you a shake.

If you are looking for something quick, the Backlot Express and Studios Catering company do a nice job providing choices beyond the normal burgers and fries.

I love all of the rides and shows, but I think Little Mermaid is one of the most underrated experiences at WDW. It's not even one of my favorite movies, but I love this show. Also make sure you ride the new Star Tours. My wife doesn't like the movies, I'm not sure why I married her, and hated the old version, but she likes this one.

As has been mentioned the book store is a great place to relax, cool down, and have a snack.

Finally the most important thing at DHS is taking the time to watch the street performers, they are the heart and soul of the park.

I hope you have a great time.

Thanks! Great tips!!

Oh the tune in lounge is a idea! My DH likes 50's prime time but i'm not a fan so he can get his fix. We have been to DHS several times, but usually we dash through getting to the rides we want and I want to make sure to take in the sites and sounds. I know that the parks have so much more to offer then what is on the map ( not that we use the map anymore but you know what i mean). I can't wait to ride Star Tours! We are so excited to see the new version!!! :) So excited!!! :)

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

What is Sids? My DH loves Trivia.
I wonder what characters are Magic of Disney Animation? We need to meet the characters from Up.

If you like trivia, you have to go! It's a little shop on the left after you enter the park. It's called Sid Cuheanga's One of Kind Shop. They'll have a chalk board out front w/trivia questions on it (movie related). If you know them all, you go inside & tell the CM. They give you a magical moments certificate if you can get them all. Last time we went there was 6 questions all about Pirates of the Caribbean. The time before that they were all classic movie themed, like Casablanca.

I've seen random characters at Magic of Disney Animation. Mary Poppins & a penguin were there last time which I was excited about because I hadn't seen the Penguin out before that. I've seen the characters from Up! there before too. :)

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Original Poster
If you like trivia, you have to go! It's a little shop on the left after you enter the park. It's called Sid Cuheanga's One of Kind Shop. They'll have a chalk board out front w/trivia questions on it (movie related). If you know them all, you go inside & tell the CM. They give you a magical moments certificate if you can get them all. Last time we went there was 6 questions all about Pirates of the Caribbean. The time before that they were all classic movie themed, like Casablanca.

I've seen random characters at Magic of Disney Animation. Mary Poppins & a penguin were there last time which I was excited about because I hadn't seen the Penguin out before that. I've seen the characters from Up! there before too. :)

That is so fun! I need to do that! My DH will be so pumped! I would LOVE to see Mary and a penguin! OMG! DH and I call each other Mr. and Mrs. Fredrickson so we need to see them! :)

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

That is so fun! I need to do that! My DH will be so pumped! I would LOVE to see Mary and a penguin! OMG! DH and I call each other Mr. and Mrs. Fredrickson so we need to see them! :)

Haha - I knew you'd love that! I thought of you during the opening ceremonies the other day when all the Mary Poppins's were landing.

Upvote 0

Tusportsfan

Other than the usual popular rides at DHS (Midway Mania, ToT, RRC & Star Tours), my favorite thing to do is simply grab a frozen Coke from Peevy's (mainly because of the Rocketeer references there) and then go find the next show for Mulch, Sweat and Shears.

Upvote 0

ParentsOf4

Coffee and pastries at Starring Rolls with my family, immediately after getting FPs for TSM at park opening. It's relaxing to just sit there on the outdoor patio while the weather is still cool, sharing each other's pastries, while watching everyone else run around. And of course there's the feeling that we have an entire day still ahead of us!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom