What's the big deal about Port Orleans?

Skibum1970

Hi all, I am staying here with my husband and 3 kids /my parents (POR) any preferred building I should request? Can you request before or upon arrival only?

If you have daughters, the princess rooms in the Mansions section would probably appeal to them. I do like the water views as those face the "Sassagoula River" where the boats travel to/from Downtown Disney.

kasi22

Stay there in January 2012 is looking good place and many tourist is enjoy there with the beauty of the mind now i also want to go again this place and i will enjoy a lot better then before...

Dwarful

I think PORS is fine for mod. But the rooms that sleep five are not that large and then the flip down bed vs. the trundle bed takes away storage space. So you are down to a few drawers. I don't like to live out of a suitcase on vacation. If you have 5 in your family and the children are tweens/teens the rooms will be cramped. I think you could get by with it if the kids are younger...but we tried it with three girls 12, 14 & 16 and it was like...YIKES!

seahawk7

I like the food court at Riverside. They have really good food choices and a really relaxing dining room. The pools at both the French Quarter and Riverside have a great theme and I believe you can use both if you stay at either resort. I find Riverside to be romantic at night and the French Quarter lively The Sassagoula river is so beautiful to take to Downtown Disney instead of a crowded bus like the other resorts. There are carriage rides and surrey bikes. I think they still have the Tiana themed room at Riverside? All around the best moderate resort to stay at.

Mr Toad

Although I love CSR, you really can't go wrong with any of the moderates. And don't forget, the Cabins at Fort Wilderness are mods as well. They sleep 6 and have a full kitchen. Our cabin was very quite as well. The bad news is they are priced not very far away from the deluxes tho.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
POFQ is a great resort for a WDW vacation, the grounds are immaculate even while the rooms are a bit small they are nice and really the buildings are a great reflection of a perfect version (actually clean) of what the French Quarter is like with the balconies being the walkways. Never been to POR though but may take a jaunt over there in a few weeks while we stay a couple days to wind down our upcoming trip, we have three nights at POFQ after our stay at YC.

My son loves the food in the QS restaurant and we find the garden views very nice while not quite up to a deluxe resort level it is by far the closest of the moderates and way better than any of the values IMO.

seahawk7

Although I love CSR, you really can't go wrong with any of the moderates. And don't forget, the Cabins at Fort Wilderness are mods as well. They sleep 6 and have a full kitchen. Our cabin was very quite as well. The bad news is they are priced not very far away from the deluxes tho.
I didn't know the cabins were moderate. Are they worth the price and do you recommend the location? I like to visit Fort Wilderness but never wanted to stay there since I thought it was too much like camping. Is that true?

Mr Toad

I didn't know the cabins were moderate. Are they worth the price and do you recommend the location? I like to visit Fort Wilderness but never wanted to stay there since I thought it was too much like camping. Is that true?
They are classified as moderates. I liked staying there. Having a full kitchen with mousekeeping was nice. Very quite as well. Keep in mind that a full kitchen is only a benefit if you actually plan on using it. Also, the separate bedroom has a double bed, not a queen. There are bunk beds as well. Murphy bed is in the living room. Just pile the kids in bedroom...parents in the Murphy bed.
Yes, there is a camping feel...but as someone who goes camping, I enjoy it. It's different from other resorts but it does have a stellar buffet and the best dinner show.

Dwarful

its beautiful there and honestly quiet. Theres not the big loud crowds like the all stars get. its a nice area its in as well

We were at PORS last July/August and there were several Brazilian tour groups staying there.....so much so that when we had a problem with our room no other rooms were available that slept five so they had to move us to AoA. :(

seahawk7

They are classified as moderates. I liked staying there. Having a full kitchen with mousekeeping was nice. Very quite as well. Keep in mind that a full kitchen is only a benefit if you actually plan on using it. Also, the separate bedroom has a double bed, not a queen. There are bunk beds as well. Murphy bed is in the living room. Just pile the kids in bedroom...parents in the Murphy bed.
Yes, there is a camping feel...but as someone who goes camping, I enjoy it. It's different from other resorts but it does have a stellar buffet and the best dinner show.
Good to know, thanks. I do like Trails End and Hoop Dee Doo. Maybe if I go in February...

Dwarful

yep. that's pretty much what my husband said. We were a family of five on the trip for two weeks and they didn't have any other rooms that slept five available for the whole length of stay so they had to move us to AoA. It was a plumbing leak behind the wall in the bathroom. We were pretty disappointed to leave but AoA was nice.

LucyK

yep. that's pretty much what my husband said. We were a family of five on the trip for two weeks and they didn't have any other rooms that slept five available for the whole length of stay so they had to move us to AoA. It was a plumbing leak behind the wall in the bathroom. We were pretty disappointed to leave but AoA was nice.
So your problems were not with the Brazilian groups staying there, just with the plumbing, correct? POR is a big but popular resort. You mentioned you're there in July/August, high season. It's not impossible to sell out POR at high season, if they were from any other country the rooms would not be available as well.

Dwarful

LucyK..This was our trip last year we were there the last full week of July and the first full week of August for 15 days/ 14 nights. Our problems weren't with the tour groups...just the plumbing. From what they told us most of the rooms that slept five were booked with the tour groups...we had five in our group so they couldn't put us in one room that slept five and didn't want to put us in two rooms because they couldn't guarantee we would be in the same section for the whole two weeks. They worked really hard to find someplace to put us for the whole two weeks where they didn't have to put us in two rooms (at that point we were like two rooms is fine...just find us a place because it took about 4 hours to get it all figured out). The leak had already been happening when we checked in. It was a leak in the wall...the wall was wet, the floors into the room itself were wet...it was a BIG MESS. The resort itself was nice. The room was nice. The CM's were helpful and the maintenance men were very apologetic. We would give it another chance.

I think there is a perception that ALL tour groups go to the All Stars and this wasn't the case. Now, the CM's could have been blowing smoke...but we saw the groups while eating quick service and at the main pool. So I know there were at least two large groups ...one green one yellow.

BigTxEars

We love it, if it was a DVC resort we would have bought it as our home resort :)

Just a great overall mix of everything is why we love it, it is perfectly balanced with everything we like :)

BigTxEars

Two weeks at Disney, we only get to stay a week so I hate you already for that! ;)

Man I bet I would gain 15 lbs if I stayed there for two weeks at a time :hungry:

Tinkerbell 8

As others have said its more of a personal preference when it comes down to it. All of the Disney resorts are beautiful and have their own charm. I stayed at Dixie Landings and then POFQ multiple time and I thought it was very relaxing and beautiful. POFQ is smaller than PORS and all of the rooms are close to the main building. Walking by the river at night is nice, and taking the boat to DTD is so peaceful. The only downside to POFQ is there is no table service restaurant, however we always eat at the parks or DTD anyway so that was never a problem for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom