What's the big deal about Port Orleans?

Puppymom73

It's just my husband and I that go, no kiddos, so for us POFQ is perfect. Seems more geared towards adults. I like trying out different resorts at Disney but for just the two of us, FQ has been the best experience for the money. We stayed at Pop Century and the theme was awesome, but there were just too many people. Buses were a nightmare, we ended up taking taxis most night at closing because the bus situation was so ridiculous. Everything is very compact at FQ as well, I couldn't believe the convenience of getting to bus stops, and food court. Caribbean Beach is just way too spread out for us. I hated the idea of having to take a bus to get to the food court (!?). We also noticed it was quieter and there were less kids running around like crazy. There was the perfect amount of "that kid is cute running around," vs. "if I trip over another kid that won't stay with his parents, I'm gonna become violent." We had that alot at Pop Century. I don't mind that there is no sit down restaurant, as we usually spend most of our dinners at Epcot anyway, the food court is actually really great for our needs. I also love the small bar inside the FQ. My husband and I stopped in one night after we got off the bus (because it's right there! easy access!) and had a great evening just hanging out in the atmosphere and talking. I don't know if that helps answer your question, but it reminded me how much I loved it and can't wait to go back. ;)

KCKAS

For us, the Alligator Bayou section of POR is the cheapest place on WDW property for a family of 5 to stay. Period. The rest of the place is good enough and I am happy there. I would prefer a deluxe resort but that it not always a financial option for us.

Missymoe4

Thank you for this thread. I just made reservations at POFQ for the first time. A very long time ago we stayed at PORS and enjoyed the theming and beautiful grounds.

The past 5 years we have been staying at the deluxe hotels including: Contemporary, Polynesian and Wilderness Lodge. Although we loved all of the deluxe hotels, they have become busier and busier. The amount of traffic funneling through those resorts to tour and/or dine at the hotels made our quiet/quaint room become the opposite.

This trip we have collectively decided to take a step back (save a ton of money!) and go to POFQ to get the Disney theming and the quiet atmosphere we so miss (deluxe hotels used to be so nice, relaxing, quiet, etc.).

I'm crossing my fingers that POFQ will become our new #1 hotel. And although proximity to the parks is quite nice at the deluxe hotels, the large price tag is becoming extravagant. From what I'm interpreting, the only thing we will be missing in a POFQ room is the balcony. Big deal. Although, I am hoping the pool and bar is fitting.

I'm getting more and more excited reading all of your posts about POR. Thank you for all of your input. :)

Chernaboggles

We're staying in POFQ for our first on-property stay, in October. A CM pal recommended it to us as her favorite of the moderate resorts.

RetroDisneyGal

I think that lots of guests probably decide to stay at the Port Orleans Resort because of its lower price point. My family and I stayed there in July 2012 because of this, but we won't do it again. You get what you pay for. It was essentially a motel room with very uncomfortable beds. I have back problems and those beds made it so much worse after a long day of walking! It was just too inconvenient to have to walk a long way to the bus stop and then have to take a very long, out-of-the-way bus route to the parks. After POR, I vowed to always splurge on future visits and stay exclusively at deluxe resorts since they have much nicer beds and monorail access, which is crucial for my aching back. I have been to WDW twice since 2012 and stayed both times at the Contemporary Resort. It made for a completely different Disney experience :) The level of customer service, amenities, and convenience to parks you get at the deluxe resorts is worth the extra cost to me. Also, there are deals available on room rates for FL residents (like me), so it's a no brainer IMO.

eddiemcgarrigle

Woo Hoo, booked up for POR, Disney here we come, again. I've stayed at POFQ twice before so we plumped for POR this trip as the pool area at Riverside seems a bit more themed for my son. I'm leaning towards requesting Magnolia Bend over Alligator Bayou but then, I'm open to being persuaded otherwise if anyone can convince me.

cbettua

I think that lots of guests probably decide to stay at the Port Orleans Resort because of its lower price point. My family and I stayed there in July 2012 because of this, but we won't do it again. You get what you pay for. It was essentially a motel room with very uncomfortable beds. I have back problems and those beds made it so much worse after a long day of walking! It was just too inconvenient to have to walk a long way to the bus stop and then have to take a very long, out-of-the-way bus route to the parks. After POR, I vowed to always splurge on future visits and stay exclusively at deluxe resorts since they have much nicer beds and monorail access, which is crucial for my aching back. I have been to WDW twice since 2012 and stayed both times at the Contemporary Resort. It made for a completely different Disney experience :) The level of customer service, amenities, and convenience to parks you get at the deluxe resorts is worth the extra cost to me. Also, there are deals available on room rates for FL residents (like me), so it's a no brainer IMO.

Have you stayed in a value lol Some of us can't even touch a deluxe because of the price. I don't think I will ever be able to stay at a deluxe unless I rent points.

Animaniac93-98

Funny to see all these people booking Port Orleans for the first time this fall (myself included).

I think Disney should built a new moderate resort. They have so many value and DVC rooms now, they could use another option for those who want something better than Pop Century, but not at $300/night.

We can't all cram into Port Orleans! ;)

StarWarsGirl

Everybody seems to stay there. I mean EVERYBODY! I'm a bit confused as to why, though. Am I missing something? What makes this resort so desirable over a deluxe resort, or another moderate resort?
It's the nicest moderate resort. Plain and simple. No I would not choose it over a deluxe resort, but the fact that it's close to DTD and that the rooms and buildings are the nicest puts it up there.

StarWarsGirl

Funny to see all these people booking Port Orleans for the first time this fall (myself included).

I think Disney should built a new moderate resort. They have so many value and DVC rooms now, they could use another option for those who want something better than Pop Century, but not at $300/night.

We can't all cram into Port Orleans! ;)
I agree; Disney needs more moderates. I also wish they had something in between values and moderates. Like similar room size to the value, no TS restaurant, but with the better theming and a better pool area, and less costly than a value. My friend and I are college students and, with help from our parents, stayed at Pop Century. If there were an option with a nicer pool area (with a water slide and hot tub) that cost slightly more (like $110-$130 per night with the AP discount instead of $80-$100 a night at Pop, again, with an AP discount) we would have done it. But we weren't going to pay $150-$180 for a moderate.

StarWarsGirl

I wouldn't either which is why I booked the room-only discount during Value Season and got it for under $150/night.
I went during value season and still the rate available was $150/night, 30% discount. Yup...but it was fine staying at Pop. We were hardly there except to sleep and when we were at a resort, we were usually over at one of the deluxes just chillin'.

Cesar R M

I dont know guys, but in my case.. I really loved POR.. very calm, very relaxed place.

also I liked boatright's food service... ( I only hated the quickservice thing..)

Missymoe4

Have you stayed in a value lol Some of us can't even touch a deluxe because of the price. I don't think I will ever be able to stay at a deluxe unless I rent points.

Although they are nice, it's not as big of a deal....those prices are OUTRAGEOUS!!!!

Scott10

Having stayed at The Animal Kingdom Lodge, The Wilderness Lodge, Coronado Springs, Art of Animation, All-Star Music, All-Star Movies and Riverside (in both a Royal Room and a standard room in Alligator Bayou), I must say that I find myself going around and around in my mind as to why each resort is so unique that they individually draw me back. For Riverside, I think it is the combination of so many great qualities: beautiful grounds, great main pool for the kids, awesome build your own pasta at the quick service restaurant, and the Disney touch that is found in a high quality, classy manner in both the Royal Rooms and the Alligator Bayou Rooms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom