What's the big deal about Port Orleans?

real mad hatter

Everybody seems to stay there. I mean EVERYBODY! I'm a bit confused as to why, though. Am I missing something? What makes this resort so desirable over a deluxe resort, or another moderate resort?
Eh...Let me Tink.....Ah.. The MCB...:hungry:....The serene atmosphere.. :)..The magic bridge..:geek:..Fulton's :happy:...The best food court of all the mods...:hungry::hungry:...Big wheel keeps on turning..o_O..The boat trip down the Sassagoula river..;)..The sounds of Dixie..:rolleyes:...The sunrise over the river at 6.30am..:cool:..And the big sleep at the big easy on those new Queen beds.:hilarious:..Good night and god bless..

93boomer

Premium Member
Eh...Let me Tink.....Ah.. The MCB...:hungry:....The serene atmosphere.. :)..The magic bridge..:geek:..Fulton's :happy:...The best food court of all the mods...:hungry::hungry:...Big wheel keeps on turning..o_O..The boat trip down the Sassagoula river..;)..The sounds of Dixie..:rolleyes:...The sunrise over the river at 6.30am..:cool:..And the big sleep at the big easy on those new Queen beds.:hilarious:..Good night and god bless..
What he said!!!!!!!

epcotisbest

Everybody seems to stay there. I mean EVERYBODY! I'm a bit confused as to why, though. Am I missing something? What makes this resort so desirable over a deluxe resort, or another moderate resort?
There are a few pics of the boat ride and pool at POR scattered in my recent trip report if you would like to take a look. Kinda long and boring, but you might get some small idea of how lovely POR is. Warning though, not many pics of
POR, so it may not be worth your time.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
PORS, POFQ and CS fall into my most bang for the buck category.

Lets be honest here. The value resorts are nothing more than basic, utilitarian buildings with Disney theming slapped on the side. There is nothing wrong with that, but if you really want to get that "separation from reality" feeling you need a little more. On the flip side the deluxe resorts are awesome with everything you could want in a resort, but the come with a hefty price tag.

The moderate resorts fit right in the middle of those 2 extremes. You get incredibly themed landscaping, buildings and rooms without the extremely high cost of a deluxe resort. Sure, you do have to take a few hits for that price in the form of exterior halls, no balcony and a not a top of the line location, but those are hits I am willing to take for the cost savings.

Weather_Lady

It's desirable for many people (in comparison with a deluxe) because it is significantly less expensive. Many of us don't "choose" as moderate over a deluxe: due to budgetary constraints, it's moderate/value/offsite or nothing.

Having stayed at both Coronado Springs and Port Orleans Riverside (and having toured Port Orleans French Quarter), the Port Orleans resorts are extremely desirable in comparison with other mods because they are clean and beautifully and lushly themed, and newly refurbished, and PORS has one of the best food courts on Disney property. PORS also offers the only moderate rooms that sleep 5, and the only room theme in any moderate that is geared toward children (Alligator Bayou/Princess and the Frog) that doesn't cost extra (like the Royal Rooms at PORS and Pirate Rooms at CBR).

Although there are many positives about each moderate, I think the "down-sides" of each of the moderates are as follows, with the Port Orleans resorts having the fewest (YMMV):

Port Orleans Riverside: somewhat spread out
Port Orleans French Quarter: no table service restaurant (although there should be -- come on, Disney! Get Tiana's Palace in there already!)
Coronado Springs: extremely spread out (surrounding a body of water), table service restaurant is lackluster (in my experience), Central American theme is not particularly recognizable and for some, not attractive or "exotic" enough, bus transportation only to all destinations
Caribbean Beach Resort: extremely spread out (surrounding a body of water), due for refurbishment, the only Mod that still has double instead of queen beds, bus transportation only to all destinations

Last edited:

Mr_Incredible

Stayed at PORS in Sept 2012. Greatest trip of my life (been to disney 10+ times) first mod resort.

The slide, big pool, beautiful grounds, widing trails covered in trees, palm frawns, pine cones etc. The boat to DtD was amazing considering we had multiple ressies with our free dinning at Trex, Raglan Rd etc.

The newly refurbished rooms with the washboard cubbards, the fold down crocidile bed for my DS5, and the comfy queen beds made it so magical. Oh not to forget, yehaw bob! the gorgeous lobby, the amazing marina, bike rides and the big red wheel made it the greatest trip I can remember!!!

epcotisbest

Stayed at PORS in Sept 2012. Greatest trip of my life (been to disney 10+ times) first mod resort.

The slide, big pool, beautiful grounds, widing trails covered in trees, palm frawns, pine cones etc. The boat to DtD was amazing considering we had multiple ressies with our free dinning at Trex, Raglan Rd etc.

The newly refurbished rooms with the washboard cubbards, the fold down crocidile bed for my DS5, and the comfy queen beds made it so magical. Oh not to forget, yehaw bob! the gorgeous lobby, the amazing marina, bike rides and the big red wheel made it the greatest trip I can remember!!!
No question it is a wonderful place.

epcotisbest

Thank you, I wasnt being snippy, I always like hearing about better, or other options :D
And these may not be better, depending on the situation. I was just noting they were quieter, to us, than POR. One thing we do is spend a lot of our trip time at the resort, with a good book, seeking peace and relaxation, so we actively seek out the quiet. While we loved POR and will go back some day, those darn boat horns can get a little annoying.

Lucky

And these may not be better, depending on the situation. I was just noting they were quieter, to us, than POR. One thing we do is spend a lot of our trip time at the resort, with a good book, seeking peace and relaxation, so we actively seek out the quiet. While we loved POR and will go back some day, those darn boat horns can get a little annoying.
WellFedDave was referring to POFQ as quietest, not POR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom