What Legacy has left behind.. 7/20 pics

Spyne

Nice pics Mousermerf. :animwink: But I have to ask something...

35483214-legwid3.jpg

What's with that lone table with the fancy blue tablecloth on it just sitting in the middle of the area? Does anybody else find that strange? I mean, what's it for?

prberk

I really wish they'd take a pressure washer to the monorail track. It's lookin' kinda grimy.
And while they're at it, do the glass on The Land, the glass on Imagination, and all of SSE's triangles.

Actually, the peeling orange paint under the seats should come first, I think.

But I do not want to take away from the good that is being done, just in these updates to SSE -- getting rid of the wand and moving toward getting rid of Leave a Legacy...

I would like to see them release a DVD of the EPCOT Center opening celebration TV special, as part of the anniversary. That special was hosted by Danny Kaye, and really was a throw-back to the optimism of the time period.... not to mention the Jetsons-style clothes of EPCOT at the time!

Paul

NCState

But Disney has removed all traces of LaL sales, and done it fast...the only reason I can imagine them making that a priority is if they were really considering removing the stones in the near future.

I hope so, the "tombstone" look isn't appealing.:animwink:

head mouse

Actually, the peeling orange paint under the seats should come first, I think.

But I do not want to take away from the good that is being done, just in these updates to SSE -- getting rid of the wand and moving toward getting rid of Leave a Legacy...

I would like to see them release a DVD of the EPCOT Center opening celebration TV special, as part of the anniversary. That special was hosted by Danny Kaye, and really was a throw-back to the optimism of the time period.... not to mention the Jetsons-style clothes of EPCOT at the time!

Paul

I don't see them getting rid of LaL, that would kinda defeat the point. but I would like to see them move it somewhere else. it looks like a huge graveyard sitting there.

brianplace

wow

hi all -
I've mostly been lurking over the past few weeks, but I have been tracking Merf's picture updates daily... and I'm really starting to get excited that the "old" EPCOT is "new" again.

looking down the length of this walkway reminds me of my youth as well - the entrace plaza was so grandiose, clean, angular, and optimistic--and focused your attention directly on SSE. It was all such a daring statement during the height of the Cold War.

these pictures really remind me of the wide-open aesthetics of CommuniCore before the clutter...

thanks merf!

....and visit fixepcot.com!
:)

jt04

Paul

That is it! Restoring OPTIMISM to Epcot! I love that idea:sohappy: and if it means a few "goofy" costumes around, that is fine with me!

SDav10495

I'm really starting to get excited that the "old" EPCOT is "new" again.

That kind of reminds me of a thought I've had lately. Tis true that the principles of EPCOT Center are as relevant today as ever, and perhaps more than they've been for a while now...but I've also noticed that the time is ripe for a return to EPCOT's original aesthetic for a far more shallow reason than all those grand things we say about "hope" and "inspiration".

The retro-80s-geek-chic look is in!

Now I know that's not a new or profound statement for those who observe and analyze current styles, but it's only just starting to be picked up on over at EPCOT, that wondrously nerdy bastion of early-80s "cool". Those clean lines of the original Future World might have looked dated by the mid-90s, but they're making a comeback and would look truly awesome now. Even the painted "stripe thingy" along the buildings at SSE's feet wouldn't look out of place today--actually, to quote one recent hit movie that proves the 1982 geek look is alive and well, it would look pretty flippin' sweet! I've even seen Handel Gothic (the font of the EPCOT Center logo) and World Bold/Prototype (the font of the pavilions) everywhere these days, and not because I'm crazy--it's really making a comeback and is very marketable.

It's nice to see that some of that aesthetic is being restored to the architecture...I wonder how much of the change has to do with current retro trends that say yeah, EPCOT Center used to look pretty freaking cool. I'm just surprised marketing hasn't picked up on it more. With the rising crop of young parents having grown up with early EPCOT Center (and now bringing their own kids to WDW), I imagine they'd eat up anything that's a throwback to their childhoods--merchandise, attractions, music, and yes, architecture. For once we have a huge, big-spending demographic that remembers how awesome Dreamfinder and Kitchen Kabaret and pavilion logos were--Disney, don't pass up this opportunity!

ETA:
Is it just me, or does anyone else agree that the yellow ceilings look a bit out of date?

Ha, you posted this as I was writing...and I've gotta say, for the reasons I've mentioned above, nope...I personally think they look cooler now than they have in years.

Rob562

Is it just me, or does anyone else agree that the yellow ceilings look a bit out of date?

Well, the yellow matches the yellow stripe on the wall in the back, but I also believe the LaL signs were yellow, so the ceiling may have been painted to match. (And also to brighten up underneath, where they were taking photos)

-Rob

TomorrowlandTyler

I couldn't believe it was gone today when I walked by today. Earlier this week the sign was still attached to the facade. All thats left now are the tombstones...

DisneySaint

Nice pics Mousermerf. :animwink: But I have to ask something...

What's with that lone table with the fancy blue tablecloth on it just sitting in the middle of the area? Does anybody else find that strange? I mean, what's it for?

WDW Research puts laptops on that table periodically throughout the day and gets some people to do a detailed survey on their WDW experience.

Figment1986

Now they can use it as a shelter for rain.... and to not sell pirate stuff at.

i saw it today, and thought how nice it looked, and how wide open the space really is... (though they left the metal in the celing, unless they plan on installing a different sign there, or just paint over since its not getting used for anything for a while most likely.)

tn1999

I think they should add a market type food and beverage or merchandise operation. like the one in front of kilim.. safari. fresh fruit, coffee, etc. It would be nice, and appropriate for the front of the park. I would hate to see more crappy merchandise, pins, or dvc.

Figment82

I was curious to see if anyone else would discover this newly reopened area today. ;) I spent a good 20 minutes walking around it and snapping photos - it felt like a time capsule locked away for 8 years. It's also a great place to stand when the monorail goes by as you can watch it through the glass pyramid roof overhead.

One of the doors in the back still reads "Legacy" on it and you can see the electrical panels on the ground from where the kiosks once stood. But the area is all empty and clean now - it looks fantastic!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom