What did you do?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Today was 2.75@2i, 5x(.25@6:22+.25@8)+.25@6:22.

Some people swear by Camelbaks, others prefer a hydration vest (same concept, less backpack style), others like Fuel Belts, and still others just stash water on their route. I'm not a big fan of my Camelback for running, I find it bounces a bit too much, and I run way too hot to use a vest, even in cold temps. Normally I'll use a Fuel Belt, or stash a bottle on my run, depends on where I am going and how long. I just can't bring myself to drink more than I can carry in the Fuel Belt, even on 20+ mile training runs, so I don't bother with anything larger. Stick a few bucks in a pocket somewhere and know where a convenience store is if something goes terribly wrong and you need more water.

Just plan on slowing down if it's hot out. Sunglasses, sunblock and maybe a hat are key. Go as early/late as you possibly can, maybe even grab a headlamp/reflective vest and go when it is still dark out. But if it's going to be that hot and I need to do a long run, treadmill it is. 80+ I will usually max out at 10-13 miles outside, anything longer will be at the gym.

Thanks @dreamfinder for the advice. I've got a Flipbelt I wear for runs outside my neighborhood since it can hold my phone, keys and ID (hate the band around my arm) and they make small bottles that fit in the slots, so I will have to pick up one of those. Since I live in Florida - the land of mosquitos - I want to avoid running at dusk or in the evenings as much as possible. And you're right, there's always that boring run on the gym treadmill.....

Don't think I'll be doing 20+ mile training runs, like you. I'll be happy if I can finish the one 14 mile training run Galloway has in his program for halfs without rolling over and dying. :)

BrianV

Thanks @dreamfinder for the advice. I've got a Flipbelt I wear for runs outside my neighborhood since it can hold my phone, keys and ID (hate the band around my arm) and they make small bottles that fit in the slots, so I will have to pick up one of those. Since I live in Florida - the land of mosquitos - I want to avoid running at dusk or in the evenings as much as possible. And you're right, there's always that boring run on the gym treadmill.....

Don't think I'll be doing 20+ mile training runs, like you. I'll be happy if I can finish the one 14 mile training run Galloway has in his program for halfs without rolling over and dying. :)

Just today was talking about how to do water while running. Typically my runs are in cool MA mornings and short enough that I can live without. As I train for a ½, however, that will be come less possible. Cant stand armband for my phone so I just carry--it supplies music and runkeeper. Not sure I could run with water, so my best bet might be to loop around and stash water.

Not sure how I'll ever complete 13.1 miles, so also for me, 20 miles is not a worry yet...

Texas84

Have a question for y'all. Once I'm better (didn't know that having only one usable arm would be so exhausting; but that right arm is getting quite a workout). Especially want to know your thoughts @Texas84, since you are a fellow Southerner and know what running in the heat and humidity of the South is like. I'm going to use Galloway's training program for the Wine & Dine Half since this will be my first half. The 2016 schedule isn't available yet, but I looked at last year's and his 19 week program starts in July. :eek: Even if you run in the morning, it's going to be in the upper 70s/low 80s shortly after daylight. And humid.

What do you guys do for hydration during longer training runs? If I've asked this before, I apologize for being redundant, but I'm going to blame it on the pain meds. ;) I've got a camelbak, but wonder how comfortable (and heavy) it would be to wear for 8+ mile runs. My bigger problem is finding a route to run the longer distances that isn't a trail....

Thanks. Y'all are awesome and inspiring!

Check out Hal Higdon's 12-week programs. I won't start Paris training until July. My summer maintenance is 3 miles before work T-W-Th then 4-6 miles on a weekend morning if there is no race scheduled.

Definitely, slow down in the heat. If you're doing run/walk maybe change your interval. For example, if you're doing 4:1, change to 3:1. Don't worry about time in the summer heat.

For water I only carry it for runs over 4 miles. I really like the Fitletic belts. For the longer runs be sure and hydrate the day before. There are guidelines out there but I just keep a glass of water handy and sip on it all day. Also watch your color ifyouknowwhatimean.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Check out Hal Higdon's 12-week programs. I won't start Paris training until July. My summer maintenance is 3 miles before work T-W-Th then 4-6 miles on a weekend morning if there is no race scheduled.

Definitely, slow down in the heat. If you're doing run/walk maybe change your interval. For example, if you're doing 4:1, change to 3:1. Don't worry about time in the summer heat.

For water I only carry it for runs over 4 miles. I really like the Fitletic belts. For the longer runs be sure and hydrate the day before. There are guidelines out there but I just keep a glass of water handy and sip on it all day. Also watch your color ifyouknowwhatimean.

Yes, I know what you mean. ;)

Since I live in the sauna called North Florida (or FlorGeorgia as we affectionately call it since I'm about 45 minutes from the Georgia border here in the Florida panhandle), I consume water like a sponge. I don't worry about my 30 minute maintenance runs Tuesday & Thursday. More concerned about those longer training runs on Saturday, especially when I start hitting the 8+ mile segment.

I will have to check out Higdon's program. I was using Galloway's because, well, it's there, downloads into my Google calendar... and this is funny and meaningless when it comes to race training... but he and I are fellow Noles. Even attended at the same time (crap, did I just give my age away?!) but different programs. And he trained with Frank Shorter in college, another Nole and Olympian. We Noles like to stick together.

Thanks for all the advice. Good luck training for Paris... it's so cool to say that.

JillC LI

@LAKid53, I'm up north, but it can still get hot and humid around here in the summertime. It's been awhile since I have been healthy enough to run far enough, my preference is a fuel belt for any run longer than one hour. I only carry gatorade, not water, and I bring $$ to run into a convenience store if necessary for an ice water that I can dump over my head (outside the store, lol) to cool down my body temperature if necessary.

As for me, last night I did 1.5 slow miles on the TM plus another .5 miles of sideways exercises on the TM for a total of a 2 mile workout. I'm getting there. I've also been doing what my physical therapist calls Bulgarian squats with my foot on a chair behind me, alternating sides, and I think my quads are stronger than they've ever been as a result of those killer squats.

Texas84

3-3-3 done for the week. I usually slog through my 0500 weekday runs but for some reason I've been a minute per mile faster this week.

Off to the World this weekend! Hope the storm doesn't hit.

Greenlawler

Been dieting, dropped about ten pounds and made a real go of it today.

Honestly how fast I run my daily 5-6 miles seems to depend more on what I am listening to than anything else :)

But today listening to upbeat music instead of a podcast or book, minus that 10 pounds I killed it like the old days

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom