What did you do?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Got my MRI results back yesterday. Lots of damage to the ligaments and cartilage and a severe bone bruise that will probably take the longest of everything to heal, but no torn meniscus which is good news. Started PT, and I've been given the thumbs up on the stationary bike for short periods of time at reasonable effort. Could be many weeks though before I'm running again because impact on the knee still hurts a lot. At least I'm making progress. All this for a momentary loss of focus and a trip & fall.
Best of luck for a speedy recovery!

JillC LI

Yesterday my physical therapist put me through my paces. He focused on strengthening my quad to help with knee stability. He added something new which I believe he called Hungarian squats where one foot was on a chair behind me as I squatted on the other. We did it on both sides for an even workout. Man oh man are my quads screaming today! But I kinda like it because I feel like I finally got a real workout even though I can't run. I can also increase my time on the stationary bike - yay.

Best of luck for a speedy recovery!

Thanks Steve. I'm getting there.

JillC LI

Half hour slow on the stationary bike Wednesday night, and ten minutes on the elliptical at PT yesterday. No knee pain at the time but it's a little sore today. The therapist taped it and said I could try a few minutes of easy running this weekend and see how it goes. Fingers crossed.

Texas84

Still running 4-5 times a week but less mileage. Thinking about 2017 since I'm skipping runDisney next year. Still don't have that sub 2-hour half and I want this SR-71 medal from the Robins AFB Museum race. I already have the F-15.
museumof_avation_race_medals_category.jpg

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Update on shoulder injury. Not my shoulder. 5 days (?!) after taking x-ray of my entire left arm, from shoulder to wrist, radiologist at Urgent Care decided I had a possible wrist fracture. Told that x-ray sent to primary care doctor and to call to get referral to orthopedic clinic for further review and treatment. After four hour wait (and three phone calls to doctor), finally told to go to orthopedic clinic as walk in, since referral appointment would not be for at least a week (gotta love U.S. health care system :mad:). So, long story short, no broken wrist OR torn rotator cuff and after another series of x-ray on elbow/forearm, I have a closed fracture of the head of the radius in my left elbow, i.e., a broken elbow. And a severely sprained left wrist. So glad doctor at Urgent Care, after reviewing all x-rays, decided nothing was broken and I had rotator cuff tear. And advised to start PT for shoulder. Which would have compounded the fracture on my elbow. Glad didn't start PT....

So, next week, get to visit the trauma surgeon at orthopedic clinic to confirm that I won't need surgery on my elbow. And my arm is now in a sling with instructions to not bend it... and my wrist is in a soft splint. So glad I walked around for 5 days with a broken elbow.

Guess I won't be visiting WDW at the end of this month. :(

Sure hope I don't need surgery on my elbow, but with my luck......

I'll start walking around the neighborhood for exercise after next week's visit to the surgeon, since that's probably all I will probably be able to do for the next couple of weeks. No gym, no running.

All I wanted to do was improve my time for future races.....

Texas84

Update on shoulder injury. Not my shoulder. 5 days (?!) after taking x-ray of my entire left arm, from shoulder to wrist, radiologist at Urgent Care decided I had a possible wrist fracture. Told that x-ray sent to primary care doctor and to call to get referral to orthopedic clinic for further review and treatment. After four hour wait (and three phone calls to doctor), finally told to go to orthopedic clinic as walk in, since referral appointment would not be for at least a week (gotta love U.S. health care system :mad:). So, long story short, no broken wrist OR torn rotator cuff and after another series of x-ray on elbow/forearm, I have a closed fracture of the head of the radius in my left elbow, i.e., a broken elbow. And a severely sprained left wrist. So glad doctor at Urgent Care, after reviewing all x-rays, decided nothing was broken and I had rotator cuff tear. And advised to start PT for shoulder. Which would have compounded the fracture on my elbow. Glad didn't start PT....

So, next week, get to visit the trauma surgeon at orthopedic clinic to confirm that I won't need surgery on my elbow. And my arm is now in a sling with instructions to not bend it... and my wrist is in a soft splint. So glad I walked around for 5 days with a broken elbow.

I'll start walking around the neighborhood for exercise after next week's visit to the surgeon, since that's probably all I will probably be able to do for the next couple of weeks. No gym, no running.

Fingers crossed.

Mad Stitch

The Cleveland Marathon has gotten into the challenge series game, so of course I had sign up for the inaugural year. Today I ran the 8k in 41 min. The race seemed to fly by, I like when that happens. Tomorrow I'm doing the half marathon.
8k2016_zpsm7btwtl6.jpg

Mad Stitch

Day 2 of my challenge series, the Cleveland Half Marathon. This was by far the worst race conditions I have ever run in. It was 40 degrees with wind and rain that would change to sleet, which would change to hail. By mile 10 the rain had soaked through all my layers and I could feel blisters beginning to form in my water logged shoes. The full marathon runs at the same time. I felt bad for them as our courses split at mile 11, I wouldn't want to be running an additional 13 miles in this weather. Just as I passed mile 12 hail started heavy enough that it would hurt when it hit you. A girl running beside me broke down into tears, so I yelled over to her "Under a mile to go and then we can go home." I finished in 1:55:21 and have never been so happy to finish a race.
6f9fc985-785f-47bb-8d5e-4bcf4afd6c73_zps90zaxu2p.jpg

dreamfinder

Sat was 5k race, first race pushing the jogger. Bah. Ended up with an 8:10ish pace, all because I followed their requests/etiquette/safety guidelines and started at the back. But apparently no one else at the race knows etiquette as people were walking 4 across out of the start gate, and were completely oblivious on most of the course. At one point I think there was about 8 joggers in a row on the wrong side of the cones on the street trying to get around the racers who weren't paying attention to our "on your left" style comments. Had some guy crash into the jogger as he suddenly decided to veer in front of us to get to the water stop. Miles 2 and 3 were like a 7:30 pace once I made it around most of the mass of humanity, but yikes. I feel really bad for people who forget to submit their proof of times for runDisney events, I can't imagine having to do that with 20x the number of races (even w/o a jogger). In the scheme of things I really shouldn't complain, but bah. Sun was 7@2i@8p. Wanted more, but had limited time to squeeze it in during naps.

Doh. Hoping for no surgery.

JillC LI

Nice job on the races @Mad Stitch. Way to support your fellow runners.
Glad you finally got the right diagnosis @LAKid53. I hope you heal quick!
Sounds like a frustrating race @dreamfinder. I can't imagine racing with a jogger.
4th place in your age group is nothing to sneeze at @Texas84.

As for me, I am pleased to report that I ran 1 mile with the dog on Saturday morning and had no knee pain. I wanted to run more but I was smart and I stopped. (It helped that I was a tad winded after 2 months of no running.) I did it again on Sunday and again no pain. I know I'm not cured yet because I still get pain with sideways movement, but at least I can very gradually start running again.

dreamfinder

2.75@2i, 5x(.25@6:18+.25@8)+.25@8.

As for me, I am pleased to report that I ran 1 mile with the dog on Saturday morning and had no knee pain. I wanted to run more but I was smart and I stopped. (It helped that I was a tad winded after 2 months of no running.) I did it again on Sunday and again no pain. I know I'm not cured yet because I still get pain with sideways movement, but at least I can very gradually start running again.

Huzzah! Slow and steady though....

New NB 880v6 pair ready to go for tomorrow. Time to retire the old trusty v5 pair from Dopey.

I hear ya. I'm dragging this pair out longer than I perhaps should as I only have one pair left, then I need to go find a new style. Think it's been 3 years since I last checked out new shoes, I ended up with 9-10 pairs of my current model. Stocked up at the sales, got some amazingly awesome/hideous colorways that way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom