What caused them to do a ride (Splash Mountain) based on a movie they weren't releasing?

The Empress Lilly

Did I say Blacks were miserable 24/7 (even though that's not far-fetched)?

What was so positive for Black Americans after the Civil War? My point was the portrayal needed to be more realistic and not so blatantly false.
Make a Song of the Shtetl movie about a joyous Jewish community in Poland in 1948 and everybody gets what's offensive about SotS. ;)

I understand what Disney was doing. Avoiding the heavier subjects of the era and of the social context because they are better treated elsewhere than in a feel-good Disney movie. The omittance doesn't show that Disney and 1940's America were oblivious of the social context, but that they were quite well aware. Disney carefully and deliberately tip-toed around them.
Perhaps unexpectedly to the makers, later the result of that does grate a bit, feels insensitive.

Incomudro

Did I say Blacks were miserable 24/7 (even though that's not far-fetched)?

What was so positive for Black Americans after the Civil War? My point was the portrayal needed to be more realistic and not so blatantly false.
One thing was positive.
Slavery was ending.
Realistic?
The man is talking to and singing to animated critters that talk and sing too.
It's a feel good movie. Zippity doo dah!

Matt_Black

What was so positive for Black Americans after the Civil War?

As noted above, this was the period of time that had the largest number of African-Americans elected to public office in history. Once Reconstruction was officially over and the Feds stopped keeping a close eye on things, that's when the southern states started doing run-arounds and keeping African-Americans from voting, whether through highly suspect legal shenanigans or flat-out threats, intimidation, and violence.

Goofyernmost

As noted above, this was the period of time that had the largest number of African-Americans elected to public office in history. Once Reconstruction was officially over and the Feds stopped keeping a close eye on things, that's when the southern states started doing run-arounds and keeping African-Americans from voting, whether through highly suspect legal shenanigans or flat-out threats, intimidation, and violence.
And the joy continues!

21stamps

On a related note..

We watched Moana for the first time Saturday night. After it was over I googled the story, was curious on how close it was to the legend of Maui. A ton of articles popped up accusing Disney of "whitewashing" and releasing a film that is an insulting portrayal of Polynesian men. I hadn't heard anything like that surrounding this movie.

Such a different world we live in now. Every single thing is scrutinized, and criticized, to the most severe degree.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

True but don't limit it to just the South. With mechanization, there was a need for labor in those areas of the country other than the South so a large scale migration of people who were formerly engaged in agriculture occurred. These people became to the politicians little more than a stopping point whenever it was election time. Dont assume that the Reconstruction was anything more than a political success in reunifying the country, it still left the South in ruins and the former slaves in a poor economic state as it cut off after 12 years.

Otterhead

A ton of articles popped up accusing Disney of "whitewashing" and releasing a film that is an insulting portrayal of Polynesian men. I hadn't heard anything like that surrounding this movie.
Pure ignorance. I was in Maui a few weeks before the movie came out, and there were ads everywhere for it; the locals were very excited and proud about what they'd seen and heard about it so far, and thought it was great that Maui (the character) looked like a Polynesian. He's a big, muscular demigod. And you know what? Hawaiians are big people, and proud of it.

thomas998

Make a Song of the Shtetl movie about a joyous Jewish community in Poland in 1948 and everybody gets what's offensive about SotS. ;)

I don't get your point.... If you were Jewish and survived the Holocaust would you not be happy? Would you expect the survivors to live a perpetual life of despair? Only thing that's really messed up about your statement is that every Shtetl in Poland was destoyed before 1948 so honestly you're kind of asking a nonsense question... But if there was a Shtetl that wasn't destroyed by the Nazis why wouldn't that town be celebrating joyously in 1948?

The Empress Lilly

On a related note..

We watched Moana for the first time Saturday night. After it was over I googled the story, was curious on how close it was to the legend of Maui. A ton of articles popped up accusing Disney of "whitewashing" and releasing a film that is an insulting portrayal of Polynesian men. I hadn't heard anything like that surrounding this movie.

Such a different world we live in now. Every single thing is scrutinized, and criticized, to the most severe degree.
Why is it that only portrayals of non-Whites are ever the source of criticism of the pc-brigade?

Disney has a library of stereotyping Italians, Germans, French, English, Scots.

Not every Scot is a redhead lout who spends a life of archery, drinking and idleness, you know. So unfair. They don't do archery.

21stamps

Pure ignorance. I was in Maui a few weeks before the movie came out, and there were ads everywhere for it; the locals were very excited and proud about what they'd seen and heard about it so far, and thought it was great that Maui (the character) looked like a Polynesian. He's a big, muscular demigod. And you know what? Hawaiians are big people, and proud of it.
I never expected to read so much criticism. I thought the movie was wonderful.
Why is it that only portrayals of non-Whites are ever the source of criticism of the pc-brigade?

Not every Scot is a redhead lout who spends a life of archery, drinking and idleness, you know. So unfair. They don't do archery.
It's just ridiculous.

However... Barbie was under attack from the PC Brigade for quite sometime... so there is that..

Matt_Black

Because the Klan didn't lynch Germans in mass numbers? Glib response, yes, but my point is this- the stereotypes for African-Americans are far more harmful to society in the long-term than the "Hoot, laddy, get me some Haggis" Scotsmen stereotype.

Otterhead

But the Scots are quite proud of a movie celebrating Scottish culture and a strong redheaded woman who's a brilliant archer. My parents were over there a few months back and every gift store is chock full of Brave merchandise and toy archery sets for girls. And they like to laugh at the well known stereotypes of themselves, too.

Incomudro

Because the Klan didn't lynch Germans in mass numbers? Glib response, yes, but my point is this- the stereotypes for African-Americans are far more harmful to society in the long-term than the "Hoot, laddy, get me some Haggis" Scotsmen stereotype.

A happy guy singing is a negative stereotype of an African American?
Now we have thug rap music and videos of African Americans.
Which one is more harmful to society?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
But the Scots are quite proud of a movie celebrating Scottish culture and a strong redheaded woman who's a brilliant archer. My parents were over there a few months back and every gift store is chock full of Brave merchandise and toy archery sets for girls. And they like to laugh at the well known stereotypes of themselves, too.
buchanan-street-loooking.jpg

They look like normal people to me...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom