What caused them to do a ride (Splash Mountain) based on a movie they weren't releasing?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
But the Scots are quite proud of a movie celebrating Scottish culture and a strong redheaded woman who's a brilliant archer. My parents were over there a few months back and every gift store is chock full of Brave merchandise and toy archery sets for girls. And they like to laugh at the well known stereotypes of themselves, too.

Oh my dear, thats not the only Scots mo
Why is it that only portrayals of non-Whites are ever the source of criticism of the pc-brigade?

Disney has a library of stereotyping Italians, Germans, French, English, Scots.

Not every Scot is a redhead lout who spends a life of archery, drinking and idleness, you know. So unfair. They don't do archery.

You forgot Irish Darby O'Gill and the Little People :)

Otterhead

Oh my dear, thats not the only Scots mo
I'm .... not sure what this means. I've spent quite a lot of time in Scotland, both in the big cities and in the Highlands, so no, I don't think everyone in modern Scotland is a redheaded archer in a kilt. Brave is a mythical story about a girl whose mom turns into a bear and takes place in a sort of vaguely medieval mythical time. What I'm saying is that Scots aren't offended by it in any way.

Matt_Black

A happy guy singing is a negative stereotype of an African American?

It's not JUST that he's happy. It's that he's happy while solely devoting his life to white people. It reinforces the idea of patronage, that all African-Americans REALLY need is calm, stable white people to lend them a hand.

And as far as your other comment, plenty of white people are capable of "thuggish" music. Ever listen to a Johnny Cash song?

21stamps

It's not JUST that he's happy. It's that he's happy while solely devoting his life to white people. It reinforces the idea of patronage, that all African-Americans REALLY need is calm, stable white people to lend them a hand.

And as far as your other comment, plenty of white people are capable of "thuggish" music. Ever listen to a Johnny Cash song?

Kind of how Disney has portrayed pretty much every woman (until recently), as needing a man to save her?

Point being- we can find offense easily. For black people, Scottish people, Polynesian people, Women, and even muscular men ;).
But these are all fiction movies..children's movies. Everyone needs to just calm down and appreciate them for the Fantasy that they are.

Disclaimer- this is not for or against Song of the South being "controversial", what I'm saying is that I don't think it was intentional in creating controversy. It was just supposed to be a nice story.

gobstoper27

Pardon the interruption but on a lighter note, lookit my 8 week old! :p
IMG_20170313_112418_090.jpg

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster

I'm not sure there was ever an intent to portray it like that. I think that is looking way into things a little too much. I thought it was a movie that brought two different people together more than anything else. The real problem with Disney - especially old Disney - if you really wanted to complain about things was that all of the villains have British accents. I've gotten into this with people that come around and say "Walt was racist" "Walt hated the Jews", etc. I always bring up the fact that if there is truly any group that is marginalized it is the Brits. Once that gets brought up, well, the person complaining doesn't care anymore because I suppose being anti-British is fair game, haha.

Granted, that isn't what I think Walt did either in those movies. Personally I think the British accent is used because the stories tend to stem from there.

Matt_Black

I'm not sure there was ever an intent to portray it like that. I think that is looking way into things a little too much. I thought it was a movie that brought two different people together more than anything else. The real problem with Disney - especially old Disney - if you really wanted to complain about things was that all of the villains have British accents. I've gotten into this with people that come around and say "Walt was racist" "Walt hated the Jews", etc. I always bring up the fact that if there is truly any group that is marginalized it is the Brits. Once that gets brought up, well, the person complaining doesn't care anymore because I suppose being anti-British is fair game, haha.

Granted, that isn't what I think Walt did either in those movies. Personally I think the British accent is used because the stories tend to stem from there.

As Zootopia pointed out, most people never intend to reinforce stereotypes and racist acts, it's just so ingrained because of long-standing traditions that we don't even think about it unless it's pointed out.

As for British people being evil? Mary Poppins, hello? She was VERY British, and she was practically perfect in every way!

Californian Elitist

To be fair, white people HAVE been lynched, most notably in cattle country when the cattle barons were at the height of their power. BUT we were specifically talking about the Klan and racially based lynchings.

For sure, I'm not denying that. But to bring that up when also talking about the lynching of Blacks in this country is wrong and insensitive. I equate that with the previous poster who went on about how other people besides Jews died in the Holocaust.

Matt_Black

For sure, I'm not denying that. But to bring that up when also talking about the lynching of Blacks in this country is wrong and insensitive. I equate that with the previous poster who went on about how other people besides Jews died in the Holocaust.

I don't know if it's because someone wants to minimize the suffering, therefore meaning it's not a problem and thus fixing it isn't a priority, or if they want to feel persecuted and thus expand the types of people afflicted so they can claim victim status.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom