West Side Parking Garage construction

mm121

From what was said earlier in the thread, the parking gained by the garage will outweigh the parking lost. Part is being turned into the Marketplace garage and part is one of the new areas for Disney Springs.

Work is expected to begin early January (Jan 12 i've heard thrown around).
i meant the long walk in the short term as the walk from the west side to the marketplace is pretty long, especially if your going to have to snake through the maze of pleasure island as the walk around the outside will most likely be blocked soon if it isn't already as construction of the town center begins.
Yes, the parking is offset just fine, but now it will be quite the trek for everyone to get to the marketplace area.
exactly, dont want any old people having heart attacks.
I believe the Team Disney parking lot will still be open, and that will actually be closer if people want to choose to park there.
that seems like a good idea, but I'm not sure how they can maintain that once construction on the town center and marketplace gets into swing, as they can't have people crossing through where the construction site is and theres really only one primary access drive into the construction zone near team disney.
They are coming, but will not be ready this year.

thats really odd, seems like it would of been easier to do it while the garage is un occupied.

but i guess they would be able to do it as a night project from midnight to 8am or close off one level at a time once both garages are open

CDavid

From what was said earlier in the thread, the parking gained by the garage will outweigh the parking lost. Part is being turned into the Marketplace garage and part is one of the new areas for Disney Springs.

Work is expected to begin early January (Jan 12 i've heard thrown around).

The problem is most guests historically have the Marketplace as their primary destination (and that's likely to continue until more of the Springs is completed) and have always tried to park toward the east end of Downtown Disney, where there won't be any parking for the next year or so. More available spaces will certainly help the current situation, but even before the redevelopment there was plenty of available parking, it was just behind Cirque where hardly anyone wanted to park. Now with all of the open parking towards the West Side, we have a similar situation; Better West Side to Marketplace transportation, particularly until the second garage is built, would certainly help.

LL2WDW

Walking from the tram stop at DAK to Maharajah Jungle Trek...ok.

Walking from monorail station at MK to Ariel's Grotto...ok.

Walking from tram stop at Epcot to AA...ok.

Walking from parking spot in front of AMC to the Marketplace...unacceptable. Must have transport. Vacation ruined.

Gotcha.

G00fyDad

They really should have a trolley system in place for transportation between districts in Downtown Disney. The size of the place warrants it. With the new theme of Disney Springs a cable car style on tracks would go perfectly with the theming. All it would have to do is go back and forth on the same track.

th

Last edited:

G00fyDad

Walking from parking spot in front of AMC to the Marketplace...unacceptable. Must have transport. Vacation ruined.

Gotcha.

Maybe you shouldn't have so much of an attitude here. Not everybody that goes to downtown Disney goes to the parks. Quite a few of them are local visitors. So your entire point is invalid.

CDavid

They really should have a trolley system in place for transportation between districts in downtown Disney. The size of the place warrants it. With the new theme of Disney Springs a cable car style on tracks would go perfectly with the theming. All it would have to do is go back and forth on the same track.

th

A single track with a passing siding near the mid point, like Main Street in the Magic Kingdom, with a couple of PCC cars like the one you've pictured, would work nicely.

LL2WDW

Maybe you shouldn't have so much of an attitude here. Not everybody that goes to downtown Disney goes to the parks. Quite a few of them are local visitors. So your entire point is invalid.

Yeah, I had some attitude, but my point isn't invalid. Walking from AMC to the marketplace should not be considered out of the realm of possibility. I think people look to complain far too much.

G00fyDad

Yeah, I had some attitude, but my point isn't invalid. Walking from AMC to the marketplace should not be considered out of the realm of possibility. I think people look to complain far too much.

Yes. It is invalid. You are making the argument that if people can walk the long distances you described, why not the distance between AMC and Marketplace? I said that not everyone is going to the parks. Quite a few are locals only going to DTD. If we did go with your presumption then I would like to point out that they would probably be going to DTD before or after a very long day of walking at the parks. Do you think they would be happy about walking this long distance at DTD as well?

Gotcha.

While poorly explained...there is a grain of truth for this. In many malls, and especially outdoor malls, walking long distances to experience many stories is normal. I don't hear claims a shuttle must be provided. And Disney does provide a shuttle, it is just not want everyone wants. If someone JUST wants the movie, the parking garage will provide excellent access after the construction is finished.
A rail system would take a couple of years and cost more then the primary draw (the springs) and result in swaths of the areas being closed to go into laying the track. And after it is said in done it would dramatically limit the footspace, resulting in much tighter crowds. With the tight crowds the train would have to go slow and could not carry many people since it would have to be able to stop at a moments notice...It may look cute but would be a logistical nightmare.

lazyboy97o

In many malls, and especially outdoor malls, walking long distances to experience many stories is normal.
No, it is not. Malls are designed so that people can walk less than 600' between major points of interest/anchors. That includes between their parking space and their first destination. If their second destination is more than 600' from their first, a lot of people will go pack to their car and move it to within 600' of their second destination. This occurs even if they end up walking a greater distance to and from their car to move it.

No, it is not. Malls are designed so that people can walk less than 600' between major points of interest/anchors. That includes between their parking space and their first destination. If their second destination is more than 600' from their first, a lot of people will go pack to their car and move it to within 600' of their second destination. This occurs even if they end up walking a greater distance to and from their car to move it.

That is because in the case of indoor malls there are multiple stories to allow greater density. In outdoor malls (which Disney Springs is) the walks can be that long. There is no shuttle service and they get along ok. Yet Disney still provides one.

lazyboy97o

That is because in the case of indoor malls there are multiple stories to allow greater density. In outdoor malls (which Disney Springs is) the walks can be that long. There is no shuttle service and they get along ok. Yet Disney still provides one.
That number applies to malls in general, not just indoor malls. It is actually indoor malls that can get people to walk more because they can stack interests and better disorient visitors.

That number applies to malls in general, not just indoor malls. It is actually indoor malls that can get people to walk more because they can stack interests and better disorient visitors.

You are proving my point. Malls in general cause plenty of walking. So how is Disney Springs any worst?

mm121

Gotcha.
well when you go to the parks, you dont typically go directly from point a to the far away point b, the whole place is an experience so you meander and take your time.
They really should have a trolley system in place for transportation between districts in Downtown Disney. The size of the place warrants it. With the new theme of Disney Springs a cable car style on tracks would go perfectly with the theming. All it would have to do is go back and forth on the same track.

th
Love it, they've already built something similar, or were going to at Disney California adventure.
my point was DS is meant to be a town, so having some form of transportation other than the boats isn't really that crazy of a something to include.

at least the walk should be more interesting once its done, as before the walk from the marketplace to the west side via the outside was via that little thin poorly lit sidewalk. as the only other option was to wind through PI, and before PI was opened up walking around the outside edge was the only option to get from the WS to the Maketplace
While poorly explained...there is a grain of truth for this. In many malls, and especially outdoor malls, walking long distances to experience many stories is normal. I don't hear claims a shuttle must be provided. And Disney does provide a shuttle, it is just not want everyone wants. If someone JUST wants the movie, the parking garage will provide excellent access after the construction is finished.
A rail system would take a couple of years and cost more then the primary draw (the springs) and result in swaths of the areas being closed to go into laying the track. And after it is said in done it would dramatically limit the footspace, resulting in much tighter crowds. With the tight crowds the train would have to go slow and could not carry many people since it would have to be able to stop at a moments notice...It may look cute but would be a logistical nightmare.

if they would of been incorporating it now, before everything is built it wouldn't be a nightmare and could be added in such a way to minimize interactions between people and track

in reality if it was built like a light rail system it would be able to share road space around the outside edge with other vehicles

we aren't really talking a train, the pictures theme appropriate vehicle above, could be built as a light rail vehicle thats able to interact with people on a pedestrian friendly level, rather than a train that would require a completely dedicated line

a new light rail system in russia passes right through the station at grade where people cross right in front of it

mm121

The Red Car Trolly would be perfect.

a layout like the purple line with stations at the yellow dots is like what i'm talking about,
with this type of layout guest interaction is limited, and the path for the trolly could be shared with BOH vehicles.

it track in orange could be designed with the pathways and landscape in such a way to make it grade separated thus further reducing risks of guest blockage. though not sure why this would be a problem as they've already built the red car trolly and you dont hear stories of people getting run over.
DSC_3368.jpg

in a perfect world the trolly would have screens with images like the train at universal to make it fully emersive into the idea theme of the springs

this would also open up the area to the west of the west side for further development without creating a miles and miles long walk from one side to the other.

i dont mind walking but most people walk from one side of DD to the other voluntarily, but we really dont like having to back track back to whichever end we parked at.
DisneySprings.jpg

Last edited:

71jason

The next time you go to Disney stand at the edge of the parking lot and watch the cars snaking back and forth through the parking lot looking for an open spot and I dare you to not have the Jaws theme playing in your head. lol. :happy:

G00fyDad answered far better than I ever could. :)

There's a difference between blocking one lane of a parking lot and blocking an entire floor of a parking garage. Obviously we'll know better tomorrow exactly how this plays out, when I finally get an Earl sandwich again.

71jason

Gotcha.

Well, the walk from the garage to the Saratoga Springs bus stop is quite a bit farther, which is a huge chunk of who was parking in that lot. ;)

Honestly, I hope this cuts down on that issue.

dstrawn9889

why are we fighting over this? DS has the motor launches... and that is it for public transop. i see both sides of the arguement, but the arguement itself is moot. nothing to see here
upload_2014-11-19_10-58-49.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom