Pre-Trip WELCOME HOME...Our First Trip as DVC Members!

Well this is very exciting for me to be putting together...a pre-trip report for our first park visit as official DVC members! My wife Kelly was adamant about returning to the World in December to experience Christmas in Disney World so we started looking into what our trip might look like back in January.

The last couple of visits we've made WDW, including the most recent in August '16, we rented DVC points to stay in DVC accommodations. We started looking at what that would run us for a trip in December and ended up stumbling across a few resale sites. Well after a few inquires and a lot of research we ended up putting in a bid on a membership at Saratoga Springs to get our foot in the door.

Almost 10 long weeks later we finally received our official membership information from Disney yesterday and here we are...proud DVC members but still kicking ourselves that we didn't seriously look into doing this years ago!

Nonetheless, we are super excited and as new members we quickly started getting into the nitty-gritty of planning our Christmas vacation.

WHO
The usual suspects. Me (Matt), my wife (Kelly) and our two daughters (Ella and Lennon). It's early enough that maybe the grandparents might sneak their way onto the trip but at this point it's just the four of us. We had such a blast last year and we are very much looking forward to getting back again this year.

EPCOT_HCOEPCOT_20160807_7765704575_zpson9uxrme.jpeg
IMG_4109.jpg
IMG_0565.jpg
IMG_0717.jpg

WHEN
This much we have planned. We will be making our journey from the snow and cold of Edmonton, AB down to what we hope will be far warmer weather in WDW from December 6-16, 2017. I am very much looking forward to wearing shorts for 10 straight days in the month of December which is definitely not going to happen here at home!

WHERE
We jumped online last night once we had everything confirmed and set up with the membership and quickly secured a studio at our home resort, Saratoga Springs. While we'd have no issues with staying here for our upcoming adventure, the idea at this point in time is to look for accommodation elsewhere once the 7 month booking window for non-home resort stays opens up.

We have been floating around a ton of options to this point and ideally our top choices would be (in no order whatsoever) Boardwalk, Beach Club, Wilderness or if we get really lucky, Grand Floridian. It's more than likely we will have to jump on some wait lists for our requests and maybe even split resorts for our trip but that wouldn't be an issue at all. At least we know we have a place to stay and we can start looking into the rest of the trip details from here to December.

*EDIT* - Since first posting we've switched resorts. First night will be spent at AKL and the rest of the trip will be enjoyed in a one-bedroom villa at the Beach Club. Very much looking forward to experiencing two resorts we have yet to stay at.

We have put our name on the wait list for that first night so hopefully the entire stay will be at Beach Club but if not we will definitely make due.

WHAT'S NEXT
We've got a pretty long countdown before we finally step foot back at WDW and from now until then we can concentrate on all the other particulars. As Canadian residents we will be taking advantage of the 25% off theme park tickets, we'll have to secure flights and of course we will be on top of potentially changing resorts, booking our ADR's and scheduling our FP+ once those windows open up.

There will be many updates made to this report in the coming months but I couldn't wait to get back on here and share our news!

Pumped to be DVC, very excited about seeing WDW all dressed up for the holidays and I really can't wait to experience Pandora for the first time!

Looking forward to posting more details as the planning unfolds and I hope that you'll continue to read along and provide your suggestions for restaurants or other fun experiences we should try when we make our way back.

MK_MSCONFEC_20160808_7766700378_zpsx3wh4tvs.jpeg

Last edited:

mlegerto

That is great news. A night at GF Villas will be a wonderful start to your trip. Making plans to catch a red eye seems like a really smart idea and gives you some more time to explore and enjoy GF (especially at the high price point for the night LOL). How was flights looking for you guys so far (we last spoke about in as I booked our United flight for December 26th)?

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
That is great news. A night at GF Villas will be a wonderful start to your trip. Making plans to catch a red eye seems like a really smart idea and gives you some more time to explore and enjoy GF (especially at the high price point for the night LOL). How was flights looking for you guys so far (we last spoke about in as I booked our United flight for December 26th)?

We are pretty pumped to have the chance to experience GF and it absolutely should be a great way to start the trip. Since we don't have any park plans for the 7th we should be able to make the most of our short stay there which will be very cool.

The good news for us in potentially taking the red eye is that we would avoid United, which I'm all for! If we do book the overnight flight we would be flying with Westjet...such a massive upgrade from United, at least in my eyes it is. Westjet has recently introduced a direct return flight to Edmonton from Orlando which does operate on the 16th when we are heading home so we will definitely try to include that in the travel itinerary once we do end up booking.

Hopefully we will get around to doing so sooner than later but now we have to try and piece that part of the schedule together with the addition of the night at the GF.

kaitertot5249

Your trip is shaping up very nicely! A night at GF and then the rest of your week at Beach Club?! That sounds like a dream come true. It will be such a special trip for your family.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Your trip is shaping up very nicely! A night at GF and then the rest of your week at Beach Club?! That sounds like a dream come true. It will be such a special trip for your family.

We're taking full advantage of our new DVC membership! We may be going a little overboard with our point usuage but why not? Should be one to remember for a long, long time.

dclfan

We just booked a trip December 7-14. Maybe we will run into each other while in the world.

Love that your staying at Grand Floridian on your first night. You have to take lots of photos. That's a bucket list hotel for us.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
We just booked a trip December 7-14. Maybe we will run into each other while in the world.

Love that your staying at Grand Floridian on your first night. You have to take lots of photos. That's a bucket list hotel for us.

That's awesome that you guys are heading down at the same time! We will certainly say hi should we run into you guys down there. Where are you guys staying?

Definitely bucket list for us as well. I have no doubt we'll take tons of pictures and likely a room tour video or something during our short stay there. Gonna make the most of it!

dclfan

That's awesome that you guys are heading down at the same time! We will certainly say hi should we run into you guys down there. Where are you guys staying?

Definitely bucket list for us as well. I have no doubt we'll take tons of pictures and likely a room tour video or something during our short stay there. Gonna make the most of it!

We're staying at Port Orleans French Quarter.

dclfan

Very nice! I've always wanted to stay there too. Ended up doing a night there in 2014 but didn't get to really experience the resort at all. Hope you guys have a great time!

We used to stay there all the time on family trips growing up but haven't been there as an adult. My fiancé and I just got back from a New Orleans vacation so wanted to try the beignets in Disney. I'll be sure to take lots of photos as well.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
We used to stay there all the time on family trips growing up but haven't been there as an adult. My fiancé and I just got back from a New Orleans vacation so wanted to try the beignets in Disney. I'll be sure to take lots of photos as well.

That sounds awesome! Can't wait to hear and see all about it

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Things keep getting checked off the to-do list left and right. Flights have now been booked and while I didn't win out on my red eye flight (likely for the best), we do get to avoid United by flying Delta. We leave Edmonton at 830 am and after a quick layover we arrive in Orlando around 500 pm.

I definitely would have liked to arrive a little earlier but really 5 pm allows us to get to the GF with our room waiting for us and still enables us to explore and enjoy the resort for a decent time before turing in for bed. No doubt we will take our time in the morning before checking out to head to the Beach Club.

Sadly we will have to cancel our Whispering Canyon reservation but we were able to find a dinner opening later on in the trip. Looks like there are some nice quick options at GF that we can enjoy for dinner once we are settled.

Flight home on the 16, again with Delta, leaves around 420 pm arriving back home in Edmonton around 930 pm. All in all not too shabby!

Went ahead and booked Magical Express as well so that's all set and ready to go.

Now we wait for the FastPass+ window to open up which seems like forever away but at least it's something we can look forward to now that all the travel details have been finalized.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
On a side note, we've typically ordered groceries for our WDW trips from Garden Grocer. Never had a bad experience with them but wondering about other options people may have used. Any comments, recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I know we have a ton of time before we actually have to place our order but doesn't hurt to get a little head start on things.

mlegerto

Woooah, I'm so glad that your flights are now booked (and a bit jealous that you managed to avoid United LOL ;)). I always feel such a sense of relief when my flights are booked...it's just a confirmation that we are ACTUALLY going because we can get there. Too bad about the loss on the red eye suggestion, but 5 pm isn't bad and your room will be ready which is always welcoming and comforting!

Can't help much with the grocery bit, we like to actually go (either we've had a rental car, driven down so had our car or requested an Uber) and check out the american grocery stores (or wal-marts / targets). This might not be the best suggestion with the later than you originally anticipated arrival and with kids in tow, but this is how we do it.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Woooah, I'm so glad that your flights are now booked (and a bit jealous that you managed to avoid United LOL ;)). I always feel such a sense of relief when my flights are booked...it's just a confirmation that we are ACTUALLY going because we can get there. Too bad about the loss on the red eye suggestion, but 5 pm isn't bad and your room will be ready which is always welcoming and comforting!

Can't help much with the grocery bit, we like to actually go (either we've had a rental car, driven down so had our car or requested an Uber) and check out the american grocery stores (or wal-marts / targets). This might not be the best suggestion with the later than you originally anticipated arrival and with kids in tow, but this is how we do it.

I know how you feel...even with the rooms booked, the dining reservations made and the park passes ordered, the trip seems a lot more "real" now that the flights are booked and we know when we are actually going. I thought I was really close to convincing Kelly to agree to the red eye though I'm sure she would disagree! I may have lost out on that one but looking ahead the travel itinerary is actually pretty solid. Usually we have to get up at 3 am to make it to the airport on time for a 600 am flight so this will be a nice change of pace...especially with no United!

That is a good suggestion about actually going to the store. We are planning on having groceries delivered on the 7th when we check into the Beach Club and since we have no park plans that day it may be possible for us, or at least Kelly, to grab an Uber and hit up Target or something. She already has a scary obsession with that place so it likely wouldn't be difficult to convince her to go. She might resist simply because the groceries would take up valuable space to bring back other goods she'd buy there.

kaitertot5249

I have no personal experience with ordering groceries in WDW but I have heard that if you have Amazon Prime that the Prime Now feature is a pretty good option and that you can get your food within a few hours of ordering, which is great for if you forget something in your initial order! Again, I have never used this personally so I'm not sure how it works or if the selection is limited to non-perishables but it seems like a good option from what I've heard and might be worth looking into.

I just did a quick forum search and found this, you might be able to get some good info from people who have used the service before: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/amazon-prime-now-for-grocery-delivery.924104/

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
I have no personal experience with ordering groceries in WDW but I have heard that if you have Amazon Prime that the Prime Now feature is a pretty good option and that you can get your food within a few hours of ordering, which is great for if you forget something in your initial order! Again, I have never used this personally so I'm not sure how it works or if the selection is limited to non-perishables but it seems like a good option from what I've heard and might be worth looking into.

I just did a quick forum search and found this, you might be able to get some good info from people who have used the service before: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/amazon-prime-now-for-grocery-delivery.924104/

Much appreciated! I'll be sure to read up on the link...thanks!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Wow...two months since the last bit of news. Well with our 60-day window getting closer and closer, more planning has taken place over the last few days and a couple new things have cropped up to share.

As we prep for our FP+ date, we did some really planning on how the trip is going to break down day by day and now that we have a more concrete idea in place we've made a couple ADR adjustments. On December 8th, our first park day, we had planned to have dinner at Teppan Edo and spend the evening in Epcot since MK is hosting a Christmas Party. Instead, we decided to book dinner at the Jungle Cruise Skipper Canteen (a new experience for us) a little after 5 pm to allow us to spend most the day at MK before getting kicked out. From there we might check out some of the resorts on the monorail loop to see how they are decorated for Christmas.

Aside from that, I made a Sunrise 9 tee time for the morning of December 13th at the Magnolia golf course. I'll be the first one off at 7:03 am which will allow me to get my golf fix in and still meet up with Kelly and the kids to head to whatever park we are visiting that morning. If there are any golfers out there that might be in the World around the same time as us feel free to jump in on that tee time. Definitely looking forward to playing this time around. Something I didn't do last time and the sunrise 9 deal is pretty top notch.

Still a few loose ends to tie up along with our online check-in and FP+ bookings but we are starting to get really excited. The weather has definitely taken a fall-like turn here in Edmonton which means it's getting closer!

Kelly has asked for recommendations on what to pack. She's very worried about how cold/chilly the nights might get and wants to pack enough warm stuff for the kids in case it does get really crisp. I, on the other hand, will be in shorts no matter what but I don't think the girls are as hearty as I am!

More updates to come!

Last edited:

MeeskaMooska0714

Can't believe I missed your PTR until now! Congrats on becoming DVC!
We went one year in mid-November, and the weather was great! Not too hot during the day, but chilly at night. I had to end up buying a sweatshirt while we were there, so I recommend packing one (although, nothing wrong with adding a WDW sweatshirt to your wardrobe!)

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Can't believe I missed your PTR until now! Congrats on becoming DVC!
We went one year in mid-November, and the weather was great! Not too hot during the day, but chilly at night. I had to end up buying a sweatshirt while we were there, so I recommend packing one (although, nothing wrong with adding a WDW sweatshirt to your wardrobe!)

Thanks for reading along and for the congrats! We're pretty jacked to be part of the DVC family.

I appreciate the advice on the weather. No doubt we'll have an array of layers for everyone to wear when needed. I did pick up a sweet Disney/Nike golf pullover a few years ago at Disneyland which I am sure will get good use while we are there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom